Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Is a degree enough?

friskk

Bluelighter
Hi,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on higher education. 10 - 15 year ago if you had a university degree you could pretty much guarentee yourself a high paying a job. You could comfortably go through your career with that one piece of paper and that was it.

Presently, it seems employers are demanding more and more qualifications before they'll give you a shot. I know so many people who do their degrees and then move on to a masters degree because they hadn't been able to secure themselves a job. In some areas a masters degree is now becoming the minimum requirement.

I was wondering, in your field of work is a degree enough. Please tell me what your field is, what education you have (if any) and how hard it was to get the job. Please also tell me how many years you have been working.

Thanks,

F

i have a degree in media relations and sports marketing.... i was basically trained to be a player agent....

but after 6 months in the field of public relations / promotions, i realised that it was all fluff and hot air, and moved into business instead....

i have not had any business training, and have learned my skills on the fly... and am now at a national level in a rather large company.. not bad for working there for only 3 years...

not bad for someone who got P's the whole way thru uni cause i drank too much.... not only that, but most of the stuff i studied was simply how to read people and how to relate to people (plus i know the acient olympics inside out.. how strange is that... :/ )

but strangely enough, no company that i have got a job with has asked to see my degree or my uni transcript...

i am furthering my education though.. i did a certificate in applied economics last year, and will do an mba in 2 years (like EVERYONE ELSE)...

but yeah, STAY IN SCHOOL KIDDIES!

Muzby, you're an inspiration to us all.
I too am bludging my way through a double degree and hope to some day reach a level of achievement as you have described.

Unfortunately I cannot comment on the whole study progression into work thingy, i'm still a student, but I DO hope that my $30 000 HECS debt gets me a job.
:\
PEACE

By the time I finish studying I will have the *worst* HECS bill ever :(

I dont mind because the area of work I am aiming towards (health care) (my career path has changed slightly somewhat of late) requires a degree no matter what.

And with that degree it is relatively easy to get excepted into New grad program. :)

My cousin has just completed a HR degree, and she luckily walked straight into a job, the company agreed to take her on, with her degree alone, suprisingly

No, It is enough to get your foot in the door.
I have to now do a CA, then ill move away from my accounting firm and work in corporate hopefullly and then do a masters of something... and blah blah, or ill move completely away from accounting and do the CFA and become a trader... but to answer your question just as the HSC gets your foot in the door at uni, a uni degree only puts your foot in the door at the business world.

People who earn big money have really worked bloody hard for it and deserve the respect.

Im currently trying and its frigging hard :)

Post grad is gay... I did my first CA exam today and OMG

I'm a perfect example of such occurrences.
I do however believe it depends on what you're studying.

I just completed my bachelor of science with a double major in geology. Without post-grad studies it's almost IMPOSSIBLE to get a job, and if I was to go look for a job with a standard 3 year degree the best I may be able to be is a 'field bitch'.

Thankfully I got into my masters for next year... very nerve racking few months. Wondering if the last 3 years of my life were a waste.

Australian Higher Education is PATHETIC. You get a degree in America and you're hired in a matter of days... It really shits me how little a standard university degree gets you
:(

Yeah i have done plenty of education
Bachelor
Grad Diploma
Finishing a masters
certifications...

but i'm well compensated for my ball breaking!

I feel sorry for the guys who are just starting uni now,.. it's so bloody competitive... every year they get pushed a little bit more.. the gap widens a tiny bit more.. how much can they possibly take.

My housemate drives a forklift as a storeman in a warehouse and gets paid a ridiculously large hourly rate, meal allowances, overtime rates of 2 1/2x and other such extravagances. He's been working there for like 3 months and nets over a grand a fortnight.

His mate works in construction and gets paid a similar wage.

After all of that I'm starting to wonder why I bothered with tertiary education at all!!

^^
do u wanna spend the rest of your life driving a forklift?

I've completed my Bachelor of Nursing (awaiting registration now) and i'll probably be started off on $18 an hour, which is a joke for the amount of responsibilty and work required from a registered nurse these days.

I'm going to do my New Graduate program which is full time work for a year and then i'm going straight back into uni. I want to do a diploma in European Language so hopefully i can be an interpreter and get paid around $50 an hour.

Theres post-grad courses for RN's, which is excellent because you can pick almost any field and expand you're knowledge and hopefully get a few more bucks. I want to do that also but don't know what field of nursing i want to go further in.

I've already got 2 job offers, and one of them i start work on christmas day!! EEEK!!! 8o
Though would i touch a masters degree in nursing? No thanx

God, I don't know where to start :(

I've just finished a three year computing degree and have so little opportunity of getting a job. I already have a NZ$35,000 student loan and to complete a masters would need to do so in Australia (Monash probably). It's just not feasible at this point to continue on to a masters degree.

Expectations are just ridiculous. I'm 23 and want a career - I dont want to continue studying, paying off this debt forever. What is the point of doing all this study if it doesn't make you employable? In 20 years will we need to do 15 year degrees in order to get a job? 8(

Is it even worth the paper it's written on, I wonder... 8)

some people are good with their minds, they go to uni... some people are good with their hands, they do a trade... either way you end up pretty well off if you are good at what you do....

Macksta said:
I'm starting to wonder why I bothered with tertiary education at all!!

i'll tell you why....

Macksta said:
My housemate drives a forklift as a storeman in a warehouse and gets paid a ridiculously large hourly rate, meal allowances, overtime rates of 2 1/2x and other such extravagances. He's been working there for like 3 months and nets over a grand a fortnight.

i would do about the same in a week.... and its only up from here...

plus.. there's these benefits which i certainly wouldnt have at my age if i hadn't studied...

plus, without my degree i would have been stuck at not only a responsibility level, but a pay level.. yes, it would have increased over time, but not as fast as with a degree...

besides, i'm smart.. not talented....

I did a Bachelor of Arts (Youth Affairs) back in the early 90's (now I feel old) and it was quite amusing - I had worked in the Youth Work field as a volunteer previously, but to gain any paid work I needed to be qualified, hence the degree - funny thing is, the actual "degree" in the field is looked down upon, its seens as outdated and garbage - and to a greater extent they are right, it was outdated and garbage.

I just found it amusing that a field of employment that looks down upon a certain qualification on one hand, demands it with the other! Ironic.

As far as today.... I have no idea *lol*

I don't plan to do anymore study. All I want to do is to sell everything up backpack the globe. In a few years time I will have spent ten years in the workforce. After that I plan to sell the car, home and all my useless material possesions so I see the world for the longest period of time possible.

Macksta said:

His mate works in construction and gets paid a similar wage.

After all of that I'm starting to wonder why I bothered with tertiary education at all!!

Im an idiot, that should have read 'nets over a grand a week' not a fortnight.

Gah..

Anyway, it's a point well made by Backo and Muzby..

Still, you gross up what my housemate earns and that's like $85,000 a year for no study or appreciably skilled training whatsoever. I think my hecs bill is that large!

I have a friend that just came straight off the Dole into full-time work at BHP Billiton and he is earning in excess of 2 grand a week for 60 hours (its casual rate, but still)

he has no education other than school certificate and landed the job out of the blue....

his job is a Machine Operator, btw...

which means he sits in a toll-booth styled thing and presses a few buttons a couple of times every few hours and "makes sure" the machine doesnt break down

if it breaks down he rings an engineer/tech guy who comes down and fixes it while he just does nothing (as the button he presses isnt working)

I'm in the process of trying to get into this style work

I don't think a gegree matters as much as an individuals drive and natural strengths. I know this sounds naive, and obviously without a degree you are excluded from a lot of areas/positions, but i have seen many many success stories where people didn't go to uni, or dropped out.

keystroke said:
I have a friend that just came straight off the Dole into full-time work at BHP Billiton and he is earning in excess of 2 grand a week for 60 hours (its casual rate, but still)

he has no education other than school certificate and landed the job out of the blue....

his job is a Machine Operator, btw...

which means he sits in a toll-booth styled thing and presses a few buttons a couple of times every few hours and "makes sure" the machine doesnt break down

if it breaks down he rings an engineer/tech guy who comes down and fixes it while he just does nothing (as the button he presses isnt working)

I'm in the process of trying to get into this style work

I'd stab myself in the eye before doing that job. Brain dead people do brain dead work.

nezo said:
I'd stab myself in the eye before doing that job. Brain dead people do brain dead work.

earning 2000 dollars a week isn't really brain dead, it's common sense to take such a job earning such high pay...

it's NOT hard labour and it isn't rocket science...

there is still nothing I can see wrong with it, I bet most people would snap up an offer such as this....

To me the usefulness of a degree depends on where I am.

In Australia having a degree isn't so much important as the willingness to learn and work hard. Of course there are certain jobs that do require a degree at least, but most employers I've found are willing to give anyone who will work hard etc a chance.

In some countries where academia is prized, a degree is the only thing that sometimes earn you an interview spot.