• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Intramuscular heroin - I did it ... a lot, and this is what happened ...

Morphoid

Bluelighter
FIRSTLY: I would like to start this thread with a little disclaimer. Injecting street drugs of any sort intramuscularly in never a sensible thing to do. I strongly recommend you do not imitate my practises described hereafter. I simply wish to document my experiences for scientific posterity.

I have been an addict for a very long time and despite proper I.V. technique, time took its toll and I eventually lost all accessible veins. Unwilling to migrate to the groin, neck or other deathzones, I decided, against all sense and advice, to attempt the safest possible method of a very dangerous procedure ... I.M. street heroin administration.

Using micron filters, sterile water from vials and new equipment and safe sterilisation procedures every time, I have successfully gone over 4 months with daily I.M. doses of ascorbic acid cooked street H without a single noticeable complication (i.e. abcesses, infections or systemic symptoms). I am, of course, aware there might be things going on that I cannot monitor or detect, but as of yet - nothing has manifested.

I document this because by rotating injections sites (deltoids, outer thighs, upper buttocks) I have avoided all of the things we usually expect from I.M. heroin use. The heroin was freebase, so required reaction over heat with ascorbic acid (some use citric, but I opt for vit-c) in a specifically designed sterile cooker/spoon and as such, was boiled to the point where I imagine almost any bacteria within the solution was destroyed. Equally, by passing it through the micron filter I can only assume all dangerous particulates were also removed prior to administration.

Now, I will reiterate - what I have done, even with the precautions I have taken, is fucking STUPID. I only did it because I felt I could not afford the waste of chasing or snorting. I cannot plug due to opioid induced constipation. I cannot I.V. due to a lack of viable veins (And I mean NONE. Had to have a blood draw from my femoral in hospital as it was the only place they could get blood from me) But what I would like to know, is are there any long-term problems I can expect from this practise? (I have now ceased due to my supply being cut off)

Many thanks (please don't hate or flame, I know it's stupid! I am not condoning it! I just wanted to document it and discuss it)

What you're doing is actually fairly common. IM was my preferred ROA and once I was taught how to properly inject and had access to the right materials, I never got another abscess (and we're talking 1000+ shots in my thighs and butt cheeks later). Actually I also injected SC a lot, and never had an issue when using the proper technique.

Now, like you I'm NOT advocating anyone inject anything not meant for injection. That's the real problem with all this I see, because even with injection there is right and wrong ways to do things with this. Avoiding accesses can't ever be entirely guaranteed with IM/SCing street drugs, but it can be almost entirely avoided.

Keeping one's immune system healthy and muscles healthy (exercise/movement) is really important with IM drug use.

The crazy thing is that now I entirely prefer injecting opioids IM or SC, and find the rush actually a little uncomfortable when I IV. Granted, it's been a while, but I really learned to appreciate the sort of slower (still pretty fast, it just doesn't hit quite so quickly) come up of IM/SC opioid use.

It is also my experience/understanding that a missed IV shot is more likely to lead to an abscess than a properly administered IM or SC shot, given the relative lack of blood flow directly surrounding veins as opposed to a muscle or even SC (it's probably more comparable to SC than IM, missing an IV shot that is).

Anyways, yes this is all very dangerous and stupid, but I like this topic. It's awesome to hear you're making the best of your situation and finding ways to stay healthier AND well OP :)

I can see this working without problems IF the shot is properly filtered through a micron filter (wheel filter). I am lucky i still have 4-5 good accessible veins in my arms after over a decade of i.v. drug abuse. But i met someone several days ago who didn't filter properly and injected i.m. out of desperation. He developed severe abscesses in his extremities. This bacterial infection spread through his body and the strain of bacteria he got infected was very rare (by his accounts) and was responsible that his nervous system was attacked. He is now half side paralysed and needs a wheelchair. Very sad case, he just recently left the hospital and told me his tale.

I'd like to add one suggestion, and perhaps you two do this - use longer needles than the typical for IM, the 5/8s are essentiallY SC. If I recall from my days & exchange I used to work at we recommended and provided longer 27 gauge rigs. 7/8 th inch? 1' not certain. Someohe please follow up with the proper length to achieve true muscular penetration, otherwise just be aware it's likely sc at the "standard" rig size.

Great post, thanks.

Kudos for the harm reduction technique OP. I, too use the IM method and I really think it's only by proper hygiene and technique that I've never had a complication. You shouldn't need to use different equipment. A standard insuling syringe is typically suitable for the task, just make sure to get long-tips.

Kudos for the harm reduction technique OP. I, too use the IM method and I really think it's only by proper hygiene and technique that I've never had a complication. You shouldn't need to use different equipment. A standard insuling syringe is typically suitable for the task, just make sure to get long-tips.

I am surprised and enlightened by this. Although I have come across numerous persons who use this ROA I would have thought that occasional infection at least would be an occupational hazard, as despite using flawless hygiene practices regarding equipment and the injection sites, street drugs have to be exposed to communicable nasties from time to time.

I've never attempted it - if I cannot get a shot to register in good time then I will remove the needle and plug it as an alternative - as we have to use acids to make our heroin suitable for injection the resulting solution is highly caustic and will burn muscle tissue, which is extremely painful and results in a minor injury at the very least and in the course of such it leaves a nice pocket of compromised body matter for abscesses, or worse, to potentially pool and develop.

I'm writing this reply under the assumption that you use proper heroin hydrochloride Kief' or some other drug that dissolves readily in sterile water alone?

Why not snort exactly? I don't think bioavailabity of snorted heroin is much different compared with IM. Snorting is actually very effective with heroin and the high lasts longer than IV, so I would not agree that it was not an economical method.

Really if you filter your dope well, if your dope is water soluble, and you always use a new needle, IM'ing shouldnt really cause a problem.

Why not snort exactly? I don't think bioavailabity of snorted heroin is much different compared with IM. Snorting is actually very effective with heroin and the high lasts longer than IV, so I would not agree that it was not an economical method.

You are living in straight fantasy land if you think anything you just typed is true.
I have IM'd a lot both tar and powder. only ever had issues with powder as far as abscesses and it was because I was dumb didn't have a lighter and was impatient so I didn't bother cooking. Finding a vein is always preferrable though but at this point I'm SOL because I also refuse to go into my groin or neck

I'd like to add one suggestion, and perhaps you two do this - use longer needles than the typical for IM, the 5/8s are essentiallY SC. If I recall from my days & exchange I used to work at we recommended and provided longer 27 gauge rigs. 7/8 th inch? 1' not certain. Someohe please follow up with the proper length to achieve true muscular penetration, otherwise just be aware it's likely sc at the "standard" rig size.

Great post, thanks.
Are you sure? I can't even stomach the thought of using a needle that gauge anymore I always use 30 or 31g. Those things fucking hurt, I don't even use half inch length needles at this point because of the pain. Thankfully I stopped using period but when I did I just felt like I was wrecking shop using those high gauged long length needles.

You are living in straight fantasy land if you think anything you just typed is true.
I have IM'd a lot both tar and powder. only ever had issues with powder as far as abscesses and it was because I was dumb didn't have a lighter and was impatient so I didn't bother cooking. Finding a vein is always preferrable though but at this point I'm SOL because I also refuse to go into my groin or neck

No, I'm not lol. I have extensive experience with IV heroin and snorted heroin and I guess IM if count missed shots.

For me, snorting was a very effective way to take heroin although once I discovered IV of course I never snorted again. But the effects of snorted heroin would kick in in a few minutes and last longer than IV heroin. My IV habit didn't save me any money either because even though IV is stronger than snorting at first, very soon my tolerance would simply rise and I'd be spending the same amount per day. And that's comparing IV to snorting. In terms of IM I don't really see why it would be much better than snorting or why snorting would not be a perfectly viable alternative.

Did you ever try to enema before plugging? I've had the same issue with getting backed up and a good enema did the trick. I mean you do you, but it's an idea.

Thanks so much for the response. I am so glad that this didn't spark as much controversy as I thought it might. Great to hear I am not alone in finding this method acceptable.

Just a quick point to the poster who asked why I don't insufflate (snort) - the heroin I am using it freebase (not water soluble) meaning that straight snorting it would not elicit any appreciable effects at all (except for the tiny amount that dripped down into my stomach, even then the BA would be minimal and not worth it at all!)

Really pleased to hear that others are too finding success with this method when employing cogent harm reduction techniques. Great responses all round!

in the past i've occasionally IM'd my gear, where is the best places to do so should i attempt in the future?
i have all the equipment (needles, vit C as i'm usuing no. 3, alcohol wipes etc), and i have been noticing that smoking no longer hits like it used to for me...

What you're doing is actually fairly common. IM was my preferred ROA and once I was taught how to properly inject and had access to the right materials, I never got another abscess (and we're talking 1000+ shots in my thighs and butt cheeks later). Actually I also injected SC a lot, and never had an issue when using the proper technique.
What's SC?

in the past i've occasionally IM'd my gear, where is the best places to do so should i attempt in the future?
i have all the equipment (needles, vit C as i'm usuing no. 3, alcohol wipes etc), and i have been noticing that smoking no longer hits like it used to for me...
Your thigh - it's (very) hard to miss, and you can actually see what you're doing without, which is not the case with using your ass.

I have actually shot quite a number of unfiltered subutex/suboxone IM, and while the pain has been unbearable sometimes, I have never needed an operation or antibiotics, which hasn't been the case with shooting unfiltered stuff subcutaneous or in the fat.

However: do NOT do this. I just wanted to share this to increase peoples' knowledge, and as an example of IM being relatively safe compared to other ROAs, but it is extremely dumb to shoot anything unfiltered.

What's SC?

Subcutaneous; injecting the substance into the layer between the skin and fat/other tissue. Slower come up than IM (intramuscular; into the muscle) due to less blood flow than a vein or muscle.