Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Internet Personas

doofqueen

Bluelighter
H@ndo just made me think in the miriam thread about internet personas. I have been online for 2-3 years or so i think and i have always been myself. I say the thoughts that are in my head and express who i am with words. The internet is just another medium for comminication for me that just is not face to face. I'm always honest and i don't pretend to be anything i'm not. Alot of people actually have told me after talking to me online when they meet me that they can't believe just how much i am who i am in cyberspace...why is this such a weird thing?I'm just wondering how many of you actually have internet personas and are they very different to how you are offline at all? I can understand that some people may be shy offline and that the computer gives you a bit of security to say what you normally would not etc but i just find it hard to believe that people would actually pretend to have a different personality? 8) It's just that message boards are COMMUNITIES where people get t know one another and talk about what is happening in their lives so i don't get why someone would be fake *shrugs* I just assume that everyone is who they are online...am i wrong? Have you met people who are not who they are online? This just baffles me really 8(

I have never ever met anyone in person whom I met online so I cant say that i have noticed.

I doubt if a person would keep up a fake personality, could they??

People that just spin shit on here all the time..............well they are pretty easy to pick and I figure that in real life they would just do the same.............generally trying to make themselves out to be bigger than what they really are............

I guess Im not much help doof..........I am who I am. I cant change it much.

WYSIWYG.

I've met a shitload of people that I've originally spoken to online.
Most of them not actually from BL, but from online gaming communities.

A regularly occurring pattern is that their internet personas are normally a mirror image of their apparently normal behaviour.
Most people I've met wont go to the effort of making themselves appear too different from what they are irl

there are, of course, a few that project an very different images to their real personalities.

Fortunately, I havent come accross many of these peeps

Oh My goodness...........how silly am i............Thanks ECM..........you just reminded me..........haha.........only last weekend i met someone that I play online playstation with.

We chat online all the time (with ps2 games you actually get to talk to the person via a headset) and he found out I was a sparky and we did a heap of work on his house for him.

Top bloke, put on a bbq and has a lovely wife.

Also I have met aheap of guys who all chat in a gran turismo forum and we all went to Melbourne to compete in the Australian GT3 championships...........they were all top blokes as well.

One of them from perth is one of the best people you could ever want to meet and thats exactly how he comes across online.

i'm still the same shit-stirring, shit talking person in real life...

but in saying that, its only once i have allowed people to pass over my personal wall do they find the true me....

I know this guy who I met on the Internet about 5 years ago. One day, nearly 3 years ago now I guess, I decided to get on a plane and go and visit him in Hobart. At the end of the first afternoon that I was there, he said "Wow, it's like you just walked out of my monitor, you're exactly the same in real life."

So I guess I'm pretty true to my personality. Whether or not that's a bad thing, I can't say :p

Most people I've met have been pretty similar to the way they are online. More often than not I find they're more outgoing and friendly in person than the other way around. The Internet seems to bring out some sort of sarcastic cynicism in a lot of people.

Alas, I am a fake.
This has been addressed on many an occasion but in real life I am actually a balding, middle-aged man who stalks small boys.
=D
Sorry... I think i'm the same old schmo everywhere I go (la-da-di-da-do).
PEACE

^Agreed. :)
There is a huge oppertunity to look at thing's / comments / situations online with a critical eye, and therefore [appear] to quickly attack those thing's.

On topic, I think I project a similar persona irl...bubbly, colourful, etc.
It seems that a lot of people miss some of my qualities due to this however - - - hence comments like, "Wow, I thought you were a lot more immature and unintelligent than you are" when they meet me. :\

Killing_time said:
Alas, I am a fake.
This has been addressed on many an occasion but in real life I am actually a balding, middle-aged man who stalks small boys.
=D
Sorry... I think i'm the same old schmo everywhere I go (la-da-di-da-do).
PEACE
lol =D

I think that I'm pretty much the same in real life. Probably don't talk as much as I do on here though ;) Sometimes I appear to be angry online, but I never really get angry about anything irl. I'll leave it to other people to decide. I always kinda hoped that people imagined me to be a big tough mexican like my avatar :)

^^^^^ You mean your not?????????

Damn...........now I have this picture of a twelve pound weakling..............lol.

i'm the same person online as i am when you get to know me. when first meeting someone i guess i'm probably a little introverted, but if you know me well i don't really think you'd say the same (though "laid back" might fit the description...perhaps "lazy", even ;)). but yeah, i'm pretty damn similar.

It's hard to say without really knowing the impression I give. I think I'm the same. There are a few people I've met who have been completely different from what I was expecting. Like... alternate universe differences.

I'm more spontaneous IRL, the net allows you the luxury to think things more thoroughly.

Yeah most people i meet are pretty similar to their online personalities, though some people can be a lot more chatty online, or vica versa.

But that said, the thought process of the person is still the same, if they say something online and they dont say it in real life, chances are they still think it, but are too shy to say it out loud- internet giving them that forum to do so.

I think my internet persona is pretty similar to my real life self however. Mostly. I think. :D hehehehehe *scratches head*

It always kinda bums me out when i meet people offline that i have been talking to online and they turn out to be heaps different. Especially if they are heaps chatty through email and what not and then when you meet they have nothing to say *pout*

^ They probably have a lot to say but are initially too shy to say it. Plus DQ you're a pretty full-on bubbly person [which is a good thing] but that may be intimidating for some people.

I think the internet can bring out a different side to people... but they're not necessarily consciously misrepresenting their personality.

Sometimes the net doesnt do someone's personality justice. Written word and emoticons cant give a 'complete' perception of them.

On bluelight, avatar's and handles alter people's image alot, you can even think people are female when they are male etc. I don't think you can tell *that* much about someone online.

I think people who post in the drug discussion forums would be more likely to misrepresent themselves, usually trying to impress other posters with the amount of drugs they've done or the funny stories that have happened.

doofqueen - its a lot easier to press the emoticon button than to actually manage a smile in real life. :) It is near impossible to be shy online.

I think I'm reasonably similar in real life though.

Hard to smile? Never! I find it hard NOt to smile and i usually actually look like this when i do too ----> =D

me full on? nahhhhh i'm not full on...not at all ;) hehe although i do get told that i am intimidating because i'm fairly opinionated and "not shy" but at the same time i get told that i look and am totally approachable s i don't get it :\

:(