• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

International Drug Users Day - today! (1st Nov)

Tronica

Executive Director
Staff member
I wonder how many of you knew it was International Drug Users Day today? Here's a media release from our national drug user representative body:

DRUG USERS SAY: “WE ARE PART OF THE COMMUNITY AND DESERVE TO BE TREATED WITH RESPECT AND DIGNITY”

The national peak organisation representing people who use illicit drugs, the Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League (AIVL), is joining with communities of people who use illicit drugs from around the world to celebrate International Drug Users Day on 1 November 2009.

In celebrating this day we are speaking as people who use illicit drugs to tell the world that we are valuable members of the community, who come from all walks of life and are people who care about the world we live in. We are proud of our survival in a climate that criminalises, demonises and stigmatises all people who use illicit drugs as worthless, selfish, criminals.

Annie Madden, AIVL Executive Officer stated “We are not a small and insignificant group of people; we are your family, friends, neighbours, work colleagues, in short, we are part of your community. We deserve equitable access to health services, civil and human rights and same respect and opportunities afforded all members of Australian society.”

We live with the constant grief of losing loved ones due to overdose and diseases such as HIV and hepatitis. Love ones whose lives could have been saved had we removed the criminalisation of drug use and provided access to an expanded range of drug treatments now available in many countries around the world. As a community we have fought hard for our right to access drug treatments that are accessible, affordable and meet our needs.

On International Drug Users Day 2009 AIVL is calling for an expansion to the range of treatment options available including heroin prescription programs and injectable methadone, buprenorphine and morphine. “The international evidence is indisputable in relation to the efficacy of these programs. Numerous evaluations have now shown that providing injectable pharmacotherapy programs has improved people’s health, their social and living conditions, their ability to participate in study and employment and reduced crime.” Ms Madden added.

AIVL believes one of the most important aspects of these programs is that they save lives. Australian and international studies have shown that people who access drug treatment programs are significantly more protected from dying due to a drug-related overdose than those not in pharmacotherapy treatment. One Australian study has shown that; one in 100 people using heroin on the street die from overdose compared with one overdose death for every 485 people for those on a methadone pharmacotherapy program.

“Australian drug users deserve access to programs that protect their lives and should be given the opportunity to choose from the widest possible evidence-based drug treatment options in order to get the best ‘treatment fit’. Furthermore, we want these choices now, not as a last option when we have hit so-called ‘rock bottom’. Being able to engage in a drug treatment option of our choice, that suits our needs, should not have to come at the price of our lives being in devastation before we are offered or become eligible for these programs” stressed Ms Madden.

Too often heroin prescription programs are talked about only as an option of ‘last resort’. AIVL is concerned that we are thinking about heroin prescription in the wrong way. It should be offered alongside other treatment options for anyone seeking to manage an opioid dependency. “We believe we should have access to the full range of treatment options available, anything less is an infringement upon our human rights and potentially exposes many people to discrimination, criminalisation, disease and death simply because we have refused to heed the now overwhelming evidence supporting such programs” Ms Madden concluded.

Media Contact: Annie Madden, AIVL Executive Officer on ph: (02) 6279 1600 or mobile: 0414 628 136.

I'm interested in your thoughts on AIVL's stance and the Drug Users Day generally.

I have no problem with it at all and definitely support their call for better treatment options and for an end to the criminalisation of drug use offences (though I'm not convinced that 'all drugs should be legalised', I do think it's insane that at the moment, we have some serious negative consequences from drugs being illegal, stigmatisation being a major one).

I think today is a day to actually have a little think about drug use and the politics of it, and certainly about the current and future direction of this forum (as per lil_angel15's call).

Sometimes I have thought of Bluelight (and Australian Drug Discussion in particular) as (potentially or actually) being an advocacy group for harm reduction - representing the drug users in Australia who don't fit with AIVL's target group (they don't seek treatment, they tend to use recreationally, although I know this isn't always the case with BL's members). I believe that was part of Johnboy's vision.

Perhaps this is just part of what we do here. It should be a bigger part of what we do into the future, IMHO.

I agree with Miss Madden in alot of ways...

The evidence that perscription heroin and injectable forms of pharmacotherapy would benifit the programmes is overwhelming. Alot of the addiction to these drugs spawns from the use of needles - and the way in which you take it.

I know beyond any doubt that when i just snorted opiates as opposed to inject them, i wouldnt crave them nearly as much. So if that addict feels they are getting their hit from their daily dose - it's probably doing a great favor to them.

Although injectable methadone is a bit of a joke.. It's no more effective than oral use.

wow - international drug users day huh. I suppose i'd better spark up the vaporiser! :)

i'm not sure how I feel about it - a little cynical perhaps - like it's presenting a super easy target for the media.

For someone thats only recently realised (or rather admitted) my excessive cannabis use was having detrimental effects on my health both physically and mentally I certainly feel like we need to get these topics out in the open. the stigmatism attached with drug use means issues don't get discussed and in fact it tempts (young) users in as some form of rebellion.

I think this is one reason Bluelight is such a valuable resource. it allows us to talk with other users under the blanket of relative anonymity without too much fear of recrimination.

i support their cause of course. how could you not? and i'd also be willing to partake in a "march on parliament" (but i'd think twice about telling my family or taking them along).

sorry to ramble...

YAY!?! Dances like its christmas.... but its a sunday and I'm still scattered from friday. I might just have a joint.

Damn, drug users day and I am studying for exams. Guess I'll just have some aniracetam and save the partying for another couple of weeks.

Just alcohol. It's a drug. Might buy some bud off a mate and I have a few tabs but it's probably too late considering I have work tomorrow.

I bet there are 1000's of people sitting there whilst reading this article, speaking poorly about drug users whilst sipping on a wine.

Only drugs that the government can make money off are safe and ok!!!! Alcohol is such insightful drug, im so glad devil weed and evil MDMA are illegal, its important we look after the children.

/end sarcasm

:|

Australian Injecting and Illicit Drug Users League << Explaining your involvement in this to your family = dedication.

I knew about this day... only because Tronica told me elsewhere. :eek:

Hah, who would have thought that International Drug user's day turned out to be one of my biggest nights in months! how fitting haha

Sounds like some of us celebrated appropriately... Looked a bit like Melbourne Cup day was International Alcohol Users Day from what I could tell ;)