Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Interesting News: Adding a product to make Meth use pubically noticable

wazza

Bluelighter
Interesting News: Adding a product to make Meth use publicaly noticable

from here

Meth Cooks May Be Caught Pink-Handed

WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - It may fall a shade shy of catching thieves red-handed, but for farmers fed up with methamphetamine cooks filching their fertilizer, staining them pink will do just fine.

Assuming you can discourage thieves you cannot easily catch, a new product called GloTell - which is added to tanks of anhydrous ammonia - will not only besmirch the hands of those who touch the fertilizer, but leaves its mark on anyone who snorts or shoots the end product.

GloTell is already proving to be a handy deterrent, but there were details to be worked out between its birth as a farmer's brainstorm and finished product.

The additive had to withstand the cold, corrosive nature of anhydrous ammonia. It had to be safe for the environment, safe for crops and even safe around children.

And in the two years it took to develop GloTell, researchers at the University of Southern Illinois Carbondale found it did much more than just stain thieves pink.

The visible stain, even if washed off, was still detectable by ultraviolet light 24 to 72 hours later. As an added benefit, the additive helped farmers detect any tank leaks, said Truitt Clements, spokesman for Illinois-based GloTell Distributors LLC.

Best of all, the treated anhydrous ammonia rendered any meth it was used to make extremely difficult to dry and turned it an unbleachable pink, he said.

"Most people that are drug users, they like a clean-looking drug if they are going to ... put it in their body," Clements said. "We know the end-product is not pretty at all."

Snort it, and it turns the nose fluorescent pink. Inject it, and the telltale pink shows up at the injection site, he said.

During product testing, GloTell was added to anhydrous ammonia tanks at farms that had been having problems with meth thefts in Illinois, Kentucky and Indiana, Clements said. Within a week, the thefts stopped.

On Tuesday, GloTell was unveiled at the Illinois State Fair.

Next month, Virginia-based Royster-Clark Inc. will begin selling it at nearly 250 of its outlets around the nation under an exclusive distribution agreement with GloTell, said Lori Ann Peters, a spokeswoman for Royster-Clark.

"The meth problem is not a problem that affects only families of people addicted, it plagues entire communities," Peters said.

The meth problem is especially bad in rural states like Kansas, which ranks among the top five meth-producing states in the nation, said Kyle Smith, spokesman for the Kansas Bureau of Investigation.

"Meth is our Number One problem - and has been for several years now," he said.

In 2003, there were 649 meth labs were seized in Kansas, compared to four labs seized in 1994, according to KBI statistics.

Anhydrous ammonia is especially dangerous to use in meth production - it can burn lungs, cause explosions and chemical burns, he said. Meth makers will likely turn to other meth production methods if GloTell use becomes widespread.

"Even if it pushes them to use a different methodology, that is good. ... It has to be demonstrated to me first. I hope it works, but we have to see," Smith said.

Clements said the additive will likely add about $9 per ton to the cost of anhydrous ammonia, which now costs about $240 a ton.

To deal with the problem of meth thefts, some states have passed laws requiring locks on anhydrous ammonia tanks - with limited success.

Iowa State University has also been working on an additive that would make anhydrous ammonia unusable for meth production. That product may debut next year, said Harriet Wegmeyer, spokeswoman for the Fertilizer Institute, an industry trade group.

"All farmers want to do is go out and produce their crops and raise their families and do the best job they can," Clements said. "A lot of times they are fighting druggies and putting up fences and locks. They just want to go back to the production of agriculture."

*edit* winks to ozbreaker. heh

Last edited:
Snort it, and it turns the nose fluorescent pink.

wtf? How does that work? I think the inside of my nostrils are pink already anyway. Anyone want to look up my nose to see if I have been snorting speed? 8)

the insides of your nose isn't painted FLOURO PINK though.... as would be the case when snorting products made with this..

a lot of the times they are fighting druggies

would more than likely be, once or twice a year someone will try and steal their products....

heh...such is life..

I bet running and owning a retail store would attract far more "druggies" stealing stuff.....

Yes well what ever colour the inside of my nose may be after snorting this stuff. Is the inside of my nose really pubically noticable?

if the dye/paint runs out (which is most likely would) I'd say it'd stain the nose..

having to explain why you have a bright pink coloured nose really wouldn't be fun.

"Most people that are drug users, they like a clean-looking drug if they are going to ... put it in their body," Clements said. "We know the end-product is not pretty at all."

Ha ha, yeah right! When was the last time you didn't rail a line because you didn't like the colour of it?

They sound like a bunch of close-minded inbreed country hicks! ;) so what happens when you smoke it? mouth turns pink? the most pathetic idea ever! here a while back police used to spray crops in the bush with a blue dye to deter growers from planting more / selling. They stopped doing that, was thinking cos it was affecting the health of their children and fellow officers LOL.

"The additive had to withstand the cold, corrosive nature of anhydrous ammonia. It had to be safe for the environment, safe for crops and even safe around children."

Heh, nice to know they also take into consideration the chemical could be dangerous to humans ingesting/smoking/injecting/snorting the drug.

Why don't they just start adding rat poison to the ammonia, so the drug users start dropping like flies after administering the Meth?

I'm surprised the government hasn't thought of this one yet, hmmmmm...

Besides if it's flouro pink then all that will do is encourage all the kandi ravers. What will they think of next? Furry meth?

If it helps the farmers shit from being stolen I’m all for it, especially if it’s as dangerous to use in production as they say.

The million dollar question though is does it make your piss glow under a black light? Because that would be way cool... :)

I actually think this is a good use of research.

1. They have developed a non-toxic deterrant.
2. They are targetting only producers who are theiving in order to produce meth.
3. Anhydrous ammonium theft in some areas is more like once a month than once a year, and at $240 a pop, that adds up.

So, some smart researchers developed a non-toxic, chemically stable additive to fertilizer to prevent theft. Meth production was driving the theft. The additive also makes meth production using anhydrous ammonia more difficult by retaining moisture, thus also deterring theft. The lingering pink seems to be an unintentional bonus, though I'm sure some clever maketing could be used to pass it onto the market at first, the demand for pink meth woould dry up pretty quickly once people started turning flouro-pink.

So we have a drug control method that targets producers who are stealing precursors, rather than otherwise law-abiding end-users. No-one is getting hurt - it's designed as a deterrant rather than surveilance and prosecution. No matter what your view on the legal status of drugs, thesft is still illegal. So why do so many people have a problem with this measure?

Well, I dunno...
This shit isn't cool in a way, because we don't know what effect this pink chemical could have on humans. Sure it may detour some of the thiefs from stealing the Anhydrous Ammonia... but it still won't stop those who are desperate to steal this chemical, stop.

How do we know how this chemical effects humans, it could be extremely carcinogenic, toxic, etc... It also doesn't sound like they have done the research to see if it is toxic or dangerous in any way.

Actually a closer look at the title of this thread shows it could be more distressing than first thought?

does it also give you thrush or something??? ;)

I dont see how this will be anything other than an annoyance to the end user. I dont think a dealer / producer is going to care if the end product has a little bit of leftovers from the synthesis, I mean if it did we would only be able to score clear crystal meth. They are more likely than not only interested in making money, and the fact of the matter is we already see a rainbow array of meth on the market (brown yellow orange red etc etc) from poor procedure in the manufacturing, which does little to deter the end user consuming it.

I wonder, will this affect people who simple eat the meth, or smoke it? IMO these are the most common forms of administering the drug, yet this dye seems to only target those that snort or shoot it ... just makes you wonder if they were really interested in stopping theives, or simply just being able to single out those who are considered more "hardcore" drug users.

I honestly don't think the average meth user will think twice about snorting up a line of pink powder. I've seen damp gear on more than one occasion so I hardly think a product that doesn't dry is going to affect distribution.

Obviously the farmers are at their wits end and have had enough of people stealing their fertilisers, people stealing from farmers should definately be stopped.... or shot. Anything to help the farmers is a good thing but I honestly don't see this making a huge impact apart from increasing their costs.

cant snort....??...hmmmm....???

i guess more people will have to smoke and inject it....
what a great solution!!!
pffft!