• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Interesting effects chamomile tea

Wiserthanearlier

Bluelighter
Noticed a post recently put into archive.

Now maybe op wasnt being serious, but i cannot drink chamomile tea.
Im an experienced drug user with over 20 years of use. Tested pure drugs like mdma through to extraction of 5meo dmt and many research chemicals in between.
i enjoy nmany types of tea and even some herbal supplements.

But chamomile tea makes me jittery and more anxious.
I first discovered this around 10 years ago and steered clear.
But i tested think about 1 year ago and effects identical.

Even witnessed and substantiated by my life partner.

Close this if need be, but im happy to discuss more. No other teas have any effect other than expected on me, including, passionflower/lemon balm to ma huang... lol.

Yes, but it's only agitation presents as, the jittery.

Actually pickles, passionflower comes up again; it too has some real nasty substances.

I mean, out of the hundred species, some have nasty things.

Passionflower, blue lotus, skullcap, lemon balm all work as expected. Valerian even i think...

I just react in some manner to chamomile

Are we all positive that we're discussing chamomile and not calamine? They're usually not more than an aisle apart at the US supermarket chains.

The first is a hot-water extraction of the herb Chamaemelum, that looks like a little white daisy-thing, very Sound-of-Music-esque.

The second is a pinkish, runny suspension of the iron/zinc oxides mineral calamine, used routinely as a topical balm despite any evidence for efficacy, to treat mild sunburn and pruritic assault by other herbs.

I suspect that five ounces of the latter, or a 150mL average serving of "tea", would provide toxic levels of iron and zinc, plus severe gastric upset from the alkalinity. Before any added surfactants cause diarrhea and burning of the esophagus. Those are all conditions that would cause me anxiety.

@limpet_chicken i was unaware of the two differing types. Thanks for that reply, i read a bit of your posts and appreciate you taking the time. Im usually quite meticulous with detail ( and am certainly not confusing this with calamine - what is calamine tea?) But never felt to rrsearch chamomiles.

When looking at organic brands it appears to be Roman, but its hard to tell.im not drinking it as such, i avoid it. I have only drunk it a dozen times, compared 1000s of other tea experiences and probably 1000s is accurate of drug experiences. I cannot confirm exactly the type i have drunk, here is a link of typical chamomile for sale... no indication of which of the two types.

I https://www.woolworths.com.au/shop/productdetails/888464/twinings-pure-chamomile-tea-bags

I will consider trying german if i can find it ( but not rushing too!)
Either way, i havent ever written about this except for another poster getting his thread closed with a similar claim. Hoping someone else can also add to this to confirm it?

No, calamine is not a tea. Its a zinc oxide/zinc carbonate-based topical lotion used for some skin problems, such as helping ameliorate the itching of chicken-pox (no family relation =D)

Calamine and chamomile (of any species) are completely unrelated. Calamine is a mineral (zinc) based preparation, whilst any of the chamomiles are plants. Absolutely nothing in common with each other.

Absolutely nothing in common with each other.

Other than starting with a hard 'c' followed by short 'a', comprised of m's and l's; the unfortunate appeal to a lot of Americans of being "natural", their low cost, availability in any grocery store, dubious effectiveness, and total lack of anxiogenic material.

Im confused why there is confusion. Calamine was suggested but i shouldnt have even acknowledged it. Me posting im not confusing it with chamomile seems to have created more confusion.

No calamine in this thread. Chamomile tea doesnt work as it is supposed too. I getmore edgy and anxious. This is the content of this thread.
Doesnt anyone else have any experiences similiar ??

It seems to be a singular experience; I have never met anyone with said reaction to chamomile. I suppose it could be psychosomatic, which I think might be the case. Perhaps you had something else in your system when you first consumed chamomile and now you subconsciously associate it with the effects you describe. Or perhaps you are allergic to chamomile...

Im confused why there is confusion. Calamine was suggested but i shouldnt have even acknowledged it. Me posting im not confusing it with chamomile seems to have created more confusion.

No calamine in this thread. Chamomile tea doesnt work as it is supposed too. I getmore edgy and anxious. This is the content of this thread.
Doesnt anyone else have any experiences similiar ??

I was being a smartass, OP. I'm sure you haven't been drinking calamine lotion. You'd be dead.

Have you considered it might be Calla Lillies, though?

My experiences have been repeated and isolated to chamomile, nothing else present when this has been tested.
I always assumed some alergic reaction or similiar, however i wouldnt have posted unless the removed post was posted originally.

I also have seemed to become significantly drunk quickly when drinking lager beers, and only lager beers. Another thread I'd guess but maybe also related. ( unique to lager beers, not white wines which top ferment like lagers... seriously unusual as well but likely unrelated)

So no one else has this experience with chamomile... hmm, im jealous.
Sure as suggested, i can drink poppy tea, although a terrible replacement for chamomile, where valerian, passionflower, skullcap and others work appropriately. But i wasnt seeking alternatives, even mulungu works well ;)

I seem to remember somebody else here posting about extreme sensitivity to chamomile. I can't remember the reasoning or where to find the post, but it was basically something to do with purported sensitive receptors or damage they'd caused or something.

I find chamomile is one of those things where you can't really tell if it's working. I've had eight tea bags at once and felt a really mellow buzz just chilling in the sun in my friends back yard. And I've had a single tea bag and had a mellow, calm 'buzz'. A bit like the tail end of cannabis, the relaxing body high - but very much less pronounced.

Then I've had eight tea bags, grew my own, blended the fresh leaves/flowers/stalks into smoothies, and felt absolutely nothing whatsoever. It's really hard to tell if it's placebo, or maybe something else is at work (metabolic quirks or chamomile content or whatever).

iirc it's german chamomile that people use. Get a tea bag and sprinkle it on some soil, water it and wait about three weeks. You'll have more chamomile than you can use.

I'll be growing some this year! I love the taste of it but have never experienced any calming effects..

IMO for the really mild end of herbal relaxants, lemon balm tea (contains a GABA-transaminase inhibitor, plus some actions on nicotinic acetylcholine receptors, meant to have mind sharpening properties in that respect IIRC as well as calming properties)

Tastes wonderful, especially fresh-picked tender tops whilst in full flower, crushed to a pulp and made into a hot infusion, then filtered from plant matter, and sweetened with a bit of your favourite honey. Nice and citrusy. I particularly like it with lady grey tea, if the caffeine wouldn't be a bother to you, because that particular tea blend also has a strongly citrusy note, and using the hot balm infusion (a jug full of several fistfulls of balm, pounded, to make it, then that used in place of water for the tea itself, it tastes great)

For a step up in potency with some proper efficacy, there is valerian. High dose extract pills/capsules are best as far as preparations go, not the kind of crap with passionflower and other bits and shits in there, just valerian extract equivalent to about 2.7-3g valerian root dry weight per capsule of extract, is what I find the most effective. Different to benzos, barbs/chlormethiazole, to neurosteroids in terms of its binding site. It targets GABAa receptors expressing beta2/beta3 subunits, the same as the prototypical ligand for the binding site of valerenic acid, loreclezole, although this I have never yet tried. Intriguingly I read a few bits and pieces which while stopping short of saying 'yes the two share a binding site in common', dropped some hints that it might be the propofol recognition site at GABAa. Although nothing needs saying about the fact that valerian isn't a plant thats full of ultrapotent GABAa agonists with a hair trigger and a damn low therapeutic index like propofol (I.e its injected and you pass out within seconds, possibly before the entire dose has been administered, and those who try it recreationally, such as a few anaesthetists with sticky fingers, don't infrequently wind up dead with propofol)

It definitely piqued my curiosity though. Orally active propofol-site ligands of modest potency would be interesting. .
Wish it didn't smell and taste as if one were sucking on a football team's pooled together unwashed post-match soggy socks stuffed into an arab's skid-marked underpants and doused liberally in stale, rancid sweat that had at last sight, been inhabiting a tank with a number of the more noxious smelling, nasty ass types of cheese and the scrapings from under the toenails of a further pack of arabs after they've finished using them to scratch the name of muhammid into the arse crack of a similarly unwashed, rank stinking and possibly dead, goat, though. And I seriously do not know how anybody could consume a liquid preparation of valerian, because it really does smell and taste odious. It'd be like trying to steel oneself to drink n-butyric anhydride whilst first having had a meal consisting of rotting shellfish, dog muck and some variety of volatile organoselenium compound and surgically grafting a tube of flesh directly from beak to britches and awaiting the first assault of aerosolized selenol-doped scatological rotting shellfish fumes carried by a blast of distilled essence of analytical reference sample for NMR-grade barf. (ignoring the corrosive properties of acid anhydrides and the resulting glacial butyric acid that would at first arise of course)

It really is wretchedly vile in smell and taste. Like trying to swallow cryogenically liquefied farts from the rotting bacon-stuffed arse ring of allah his own paedophile-loving self. Only not nearly to appealing. Even the thought of liquid valerian extract or valerian teas is enough to make my stomach twitch, just from imagining what the stuff is like from the taste of the dried extract, makes my gorge rise involuntarily, as if one were (not that I ever would, even if it wasn't for the fact I find the smell really unpleasant) about to pour out and slowly sip down a pint of isopropyl alcohol. Don't have to do it, only think about it to make my intestines sense they should make a break for freedom from the captivity of the peritoneal bastille in which I currently have mine incarcerated indefinitely without hope of parole.