• Psychedelic Medicine

INSOMNIA | +30 articles

luna-moon-and-stars960x600-adj2.jpg

Psychedelics a revolutionary treatment for patients with insomnia*

by CBT-I | 5 Oct 2020

Many insomnia patients have co-morbid depression that is resistant to treatment. Although psychotherapy and currently available antidepressant medications are ineffective in these individuals, recent controlled studies at major medical centers such as Johns Hopkins have documented groundbreaking results for the use of psychedelics such as psilocybin. After just one treatment session, improvement and remission rates are double or triple those of SSRI medications. Because these are unprecedented improvements over currently available therapies, the FDA moved research on psilocybin for treatment-resistant depression into final Phase 3 stages with a rare Breakthrough Therapy designation. Psilocybin is also being tested for the treatment of addiction and cancer-related depression and anxiety. Pychedelics can also produce improvements in personality that may be permanent, when administered under controlled conditions.

What are the changes in brain activity produced by psychedelics that can result in dramatic remission rates in treatment-resistant depression and mystical-type experiences in the majority of patients? There is a general consensus that psychedelics exert their therapeutic effects by disabling the Default Mode Network and suppressing ego functioning. However, the profound changes in awareness produced by psychedelics may be due primarily to disinhibition of older, more ancient brain regions and the core affective self that lies in these ancient brain regions.

From the article here :

Last edited:
Cbd-oil-in-cooking-recipes-e1584123105604.jpg

How to make CBN oil & CBN butter for sleep*

CANNADISH | 20 Dec 2019

As scientific research into cannabis continues to progress, new compounds are being discovered on a regular basis. This includes newly discovered cannabinoids that we previously didn’t know existed. Enter cannabinol, or CBN for short. And learning how to make CBN oil at home is incredibly simple.

What is CBN?

Basically, it’s a derivative of THC. Or actually, a degradation of THC — more on that in a minute. Just like CBD, CBN is an analog of THC. It’s not as intoxicating as THC, but it could be more so than CBD. Right now, its potency is considered to be 1/4 of THC.

Because CBN comes from the cannabis plant, its legal status is a little hazy. If you live in a state where marijuana is legalized, you have nothing to worry about. But if you don’t, just be aware that it may be considered a controlled substance under federal law.

If you’re looking to ease anxiety or get a restful night’s sleep, CBN might be for you. There is still much to learn about this little-known cannabinoid. But this much we do know so far: CBN can potentially help you sleep if you’re battling insomnia. It can stimulate your appetite (giving you the munchies). It may also help with anxiety.

CBN vs CBD

You might find yourself wondering how CBN differs from CBD — which reportedly has some of the same effects. They are actually very similar. However, CBN is a touch more psychoactive than CBD. And while CBD is known to be a calming agent, it also gives the consumer a feeling of alertness. CBN, on the other hand, will make you feel sluggish and ready for sleep.

If you’re looking for whole body relaxation from your brain to your fingertips, try combining CBD and CBN. You won’t get as high as you would with THC, but you will get mildly intoxicated. You’ll probably sleep really, really well. One word of caution: the American Academy of Sleep Medicine doesn’t recommend CBN if you have sleep apnea.

CBN edibles and CBN oil are already making an appearance in the cannabis market. Just web search “CBN oil” and you’ll be met with a plethora of options, including CBN isolate. But you might notice that CBN is a little bit pricier than it’s cannabinoid cousins. Which may leave you wondering if you can make your own. Yes, yes you can.

How to make CBN

Here’s where we get into that bit about CBN being a degradation of THC. Have you ever left a nug of THC cannabis in a jar and forgotten about it? When it gets old and stale, THC becomes CBN. That’s right — CBN is pretty much THC gone bad. (Or in this case, bad means good if you’re looking to create CBN.)

Now, if you don’t have time to leave some fresh bud on a sunlit windowsill for a month, you can accelerate this process. All you have to do is overdo the decarboxylation process. Normally, when you decarboxylate your weed, you’re converting THCA to THC by using heat. When you put it in the oven at 240 Fahrenheit for 40 minutes, you’re doing just that.

But you can actually convert THCA to THC, and then keep on converting it to CBN. All you have to do is leave it in the oven. The longer it’s in there, the less THC you’ll have, and the more CBN. How long you leave it depends on what ratio you want of THC to CBN.

If you’re looking to make some CBN for sleep, it’s recommended that you decarb your THC for over 2-3 hours. Yep, just cook the hell out of it, and get ready for a great snooze. So far, there aren’t any guidelines as to what kind of THC works best, like indica or sativa. It might not make a difference.

How to make CBN oil

Anything you can make with THC or CBD, you can make with CBN. If you just want a few drops of tincture under your tongue before bed, try making some CBN oil. Just use this cannabis oil recipe and remember to decarboxylate your weed much, much longer.

Homemade-infused-cbd-oil.png

A simple recipe on how to make CBD oil at home using marijuana flower buds.

Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
Servings: 1 Cup

Ingredients
  • 1/4 Ounce Cannabis/CBD strain​
  • 1 Cup Olive Oil/ Coconut Oil​
  • 1 tsp of sunflower lecithin​

Instructions​

• Decarboxylate your weed by spreading your cannabis evenly on an oven tray And coat with aluminum foil.​
  • Place in the oven on 240F/115C for 25 to 45 minutes, and then let it cool.​
  • Grind your cannabis or Hemp and chop it fine​
  • Place the cannabis in a strong mason jar, add oil and 1 tsp of sunflower lecithin​
  • Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil, Boil for 2 to 3 hours.​
  • TIP: U can also add other herbs such as Thyme, rosemary etc for an extra flavor.​
  • Strain through Cheesecloth.​
  • Let it cool​
  • Now you can use the CBD Oil to make CBD edibles or make salves, lotions etc.​

How to make CBN butter

Interested in making some CBN edibles? Easy. You can make CBN oil and infuse it into just about anything. You can also make CBN butter. Just add a few hours of decarbing.

A recipe on how to make cannabis butter at home. After many cannabutter recipes, we find that this is by far the best way to infuse weed with butter.

Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Servings: 1 Cup
THC: 700-1400mg

Ingredients
  • 1/4 to 1/2 Ounce Cannabis​
  • 1 cup Butter​

Instructions​

• Decarboxylate your weed by spreading your cannabis evenly on an oven tray And coat with aluminum foil.​
  • Place in the oven on 240F/115C for 25 till 45 minutes, and then let it cool.​
  • Grind your dry cannabis or chop it till fine.​
  • Place the cannabis in a strong mason jar, add butter and (1 tsp of sunflower lecithin)(optional)​
  • Place your closed jar in cold water and let it come to a boil, Boil for 2 to 3 hours.​
  • Strain your butter through a cheesecloth.​
  • Cool down​
  • Now you can use the Cannabis Butter​

Notes​

If using a mason jar, be sure to start with cold water. Furthermore, it is imperative to let the water cool gradually so that your glass will not shatter.

If you’re using CBN for sleep, a nice cup of tea may sound like the perfect thing. It’s literally the same process as making THC tea, only to make your tea for sleep, cook that weed and then cook it some more.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
5323.jpg

I tried 11 popular insomnia cures. Do any of them actually work?

In lockdown, insomnia has soared. Our tired, intrepid writer tried a range of remedies – including CBD, deep breathing and lettuce water

by Emma Beddington | The Guardian | 26 Jul 2021

How did you sleep last night? Insomnia rates have soared during successive lockdowns: anyone would think facing a constant existential threat isn’t the ideal preparation for a refreshing eight hours. Suggested remedies abound – behavioural, pharmaceutical, nonsensical and bleeding obvious – and I have tried most of them.

Insomnia can be a competitive sport and I am not podium material; I’m a common or garden poor sleeper, rarely getting more than five hours a night (luxury, I hear the real insomniacs hissing in red-eyed fury), often less and sometimes, thankfully rarely, none. That is not exceptional. It’s not the stuff of insomnia memoirs, which do exist, but I refuse to read any in case they give my brain and body ideas. But it is wearing. On nights when sleep just isn’t happening, I’m filled with despair at the realisation that I will not get even a short break from being in my own head.

I have never consulted a doctor about insomnia: I don’t know why, other than it doesn’t seem the kind of thing a harassed GP would be able to do much about. My region isn’t covered by the NHS CBT-based app, Sleepio either, of which I hear good things. In desperate times, I use the Valium I was prescribed for migraines – effective, but not a long-term solution. So I turn mostly to DIY insomnia remedies – and as someone who has given them all a whirl, here is my wholly subjective opinion on what to try and what not to waste your many waking hours on.

Sprays and roll-ons

The insomniac is essentially a primitive, credulous creature; one whose cognitive functions are probably operating at about 3% of optimum capacity. This is how I, an otherwise rational person, have ended up using a Balance Me Beauty Sleep Hyaluronic Mist and a Balance Me Beauty Sleep CBD Concentrate rollerball nightly: each “worked” once (yes, time for me to retake correlation/causation 101), so I can never stop, despite them not appearing to have made any appreciable difference to my sleep since. These potions smell delightful, but the use of the word “beauty” is hilariously wrongheaded: I look like a sentient bowl of porridge because I never sleep. I also heard great things about Elemis’s pretentiously named Quiet Mind Temple Balm but was disappointed: it just smells and feels like expensive tiger balm to me. My unquiet mind does not recommend.

Pillow sprays

In my experience, a pillow spray is the weakest insomnia Hail Mary out there. Conceivably, if the stuff were 99% Calvados and I soaked my pillow with it then sucked it, it might work. As it is, while my This Works: Deep Sleep Pillow Spray with its “superblend of lavender, camomile and vetivert” is pleasant, I am sorry to say This Does Not Work: On Me.

The 4-7-8 breathing technique

Plenty of research suggests breathing exercises are effective for relaxation. This one is simple: breathe in for four seconds, hold your breath for seven seconds, then breathe out for eight. For me, however, any attempt to focus on breathing leaves me unable to breathe normally at all. Can I trust my lungs, which are just eerie flesh crumpets, to send me to sleep? Wouldn’t it be horribly easy just to stop breathing? You can imagine how relaxing yoga classes are for me.

Weighted blankets

I love the idea of a weighted blanket, a sort of heavy fabric hug, albeit one with scarcely researched relaxation and sleep benefits. I acquired a 14kg one secondhand, but was sad to discover (not) sleeping under it feels like being implacably crushed to death by boiling lava. It took all my strength to drag it into a cupboard, so it won’t be coming out again any time soon.

4919.jpg

CBD drops

The wonder compound CBD is in everything now: crisps, lipstick, toothpaste (all of these actually exist). CBD puts me in mind of a family anecdote in which [redacted relative] gave my mother [redacted controlled substance] one Christmas morning. “It hasn’t done anything!” she complained, some time that evening. “Of course it has, you haven’t cried once,” replied [redacted relative]. This informs my relationship with CBD: I don’t think it’s doing anything to aid my sleep, but perhaps I’d be even worse without it.

Melatonin

The hormone melatonin is produced by the pineal gland in the brain to prepare the body for sleep. The mysteries of international regulation mean you can buy a truckload of it in the US in your local Whole Foods (along with a $28 watermelon or some “deliciously dippable kale shapes”), but here it is prescription only, so I am forced to procure it from a friend in the US who sends it to me in exchange for Marigold bouillon powder, which, puzzlingly, is unavailable in US Whole Foods branches. The melatonin itself – chewable and mildly peppermint flavoured – has not rocked my sleep world noticeably. If you wish to take something similarly underwhelming, you can get 5-HTP at health food shops here in the UK. It’s an amino acid that indirectly stimulates your production of melatonin, through a mechanism too complex for my insomnia brain to understand.

Counting backwards from 1000 in 7s

Sure, 2am maths is definitely the best maths. No.

5190.jpg

Over the counter pharmacy remedies

I swear if anyone else tells me how “powerful” Night Nurse is, I’ll be making a blood sacrifice to Morpheus. It’s not that I don’t believe them – susceptibility levels do vary enormously. My stepfather gets stoned and delirious if he takes any over-the-counter pain relief. But for me, Night Nurse, Nytol and similar are basically useless. Many of these over-the-counter remedies are antihistamine-based. For me, any antihistamine strong enough to make a difference to my sleep leaves me a dry-mouthed walking corpse the next day, incapable of coherent thought and forced to sit down to shower (much like my stepfather after a baby aspirin, actually).

The US army technique

This “hack” is all over the internet, along with the claim that it works for 96% of people within two minutes after six weeks. Impressive numbers. The basics: you tense then relax your face, make your body go limp, try to think of nothing, then visualise a canoe in a calm lake, or lying in a black velvet hammock. If these visualisations don’t work, you’re supposed to say “don’t think don’t think don’t think” to yourself until your mind empties, then voilà, sleep. I get very angry when I think about it because I spent several long, farcical wasted nights muttering “black velvet hammock, black velvet hammock, black velvet hammock” to myself for hours, like some kind of deranged 1980s magician because I got confused and am bad at following instructions. Obviously, I have never made it to six weeks so cannot vouch for the technique properly, but I have developed a visceral aversion to hammocks.

Lettuce water

I only tried the daft TikTok tip to drink lettuce-infused water before bed because it seemed completely ridiculous. I wish I could surprise you with the revelation that it gave me my best night in a decade – lettuce seed oil is traditionally used as a sleep aid, so it’s not utterly outlandish – but I drank an unpleasant lukewarm cup of lettuce juice last week then slept very poorly: I don’t think there’s a viral TikTok in that.

Cognitive shuffling

The concept behind “cognitive shuffling” is that focusing on a series of random, unconnected words replicates the visual images and “micro-dreams” that immediately precede sleep. I tried it twice recently, but thought you were simply supposed to think about unrelated innocuous nouns (sausage, paperclip, lamp-post, say). My exhausted brain was defeated by around the eighth noun: success.

But reading more carefully, I now see you are supposed to choose a letter, think of a noun starting with that letter, then visualise the noun before moving on to the next one. Are you kidding me? I don’t come to bed to follow a complex and exacting set of instructions. I come to bed to heat to the temperature of the Earth’s core and wipe underboob sweat on my pillow, feel murderous at the sound of my husband’s peaceful breathing, then contemplate the time I overheard my neighbours discussing how filthy my house was in 2009 for three hours, as is right and proper. Conclusion: sometimes the remedy is worse than the cure.

So, what’s left? I suppose I could still try a cooling mattress topper, white noise machine or dog’s earwax, which was apparently the Beauty Sleep Hyaluronic Mist of the 16th century. For now, my most restful nights are the ones when I convince myself that it doesn’t really matter. The best medicine, I fear, may be acceptance.

Carrie-Forrest-headshot-small.jpg

Carrie Forrest, MBA, MPH

Homemade CBD Sleep Gummies!

by Carrie Forrest | Sep 18 2018

These Homemade CBD Gummies for sleep are so delicious and easy to make. They can naturally help to improve the quality of your sleep.

CBD has been studied extensively. In regards to sleep, there was an interesting literature review published about the possible benefits of CBD in the treatment of insomnia.

Trying CBD oil for yourself is one of my top eight ways to sleep better.

Homemade-CBD-Sleep-Gummies-4.jpg

There are a lot of CBD gummies and edibles on the market. Since I’m so picky about the quality of ingredients I use, I decided to try making my own CBD Gummy for sleep.

It’s super easy and kinda fun, so that’s why I’m sharing the recipe with you. Also, it’s more affordable to make your own!

Tart cherry juice

Tart Cherry Juice is an amazing supplement. Tart cherries have been studied for their benefits on sleep quality, especially in people who are already having a hard time with sleep.

Tart cherry juice is not only health-promoting, but it tastes great! It is tart, yes, but you’ll see that I off-set some of the tartness with raw honey in my CBD Sleep Gummy recipe below.

The CBD oil I recommend

There are a few reasons I recommend the CBD from Medterra. First, it's 100% free of THC. This means that you won’t fail a drug test and you likely won’t feel any negative side effects.

Homemade-CBD-Sleep-Gummy-1.jpg

Items needed to make homemade CBD gummies

As mentioned, it’s actually really easy to make homemade CBD gummies. You’ll need a few key ingredients, including:

- CBD Oil (I used the 3,000mg tincture from Medterra; it contains 100mg of CBD per 1ml serving)
- Grass-fed collagen gelatin
- Tart cherry juice concentrate (or your choice of juice)
- Raw honey, or your choice of sweetener
- Gummy molds, I used this BPA-free silicone heart mold and this flower-shaped silicone mold

Steps to making your own homemade CBD gummies

- To make the gummies, you’ll heat the juice in a saucepan just to a very light simmer
- Next, whisk in the gelatin and the honey, stirring for about a minute until the ingredients are combined
- Turn off the heat and add two milliliters of CBD oil. Give the mixture one final whisk
- The last step is to pour the mixture into your mold. You can do this without spilling by transferring the mixture into a small pitcher
- Divide the juice mixture evenly into your mold. Place the mold on a baking sheet and set it in the freezer or the refrigerator to set
- Wait at least 30 minutes to one hour before removing the gummies from the molds
- Store the gummies in the fridge for up to 10 days

Get more recipe ideas using CBD in my free e-book!

How long do CBD gummies take to kick in?

Allow at least 30 minutes for CBD gummies to help with sleep.

How many CBD gummies should I take?

Again, it’s a very individual decision to determine how many gummies you should take. I would recommend starting with the lowest dose and moving up from there.

Last edited:
Simple-Cannabutter-700x818.jpg

Cannabutter Recipe

Ingredients
1lb of unsalted butter
1oz cannabis flowers (15% THC)

Instructions
1. Grind the cannabis flowers with a hand grinder. Don’t grind them into a powder; the ground cannabis should be slightly leafy.
2. Decarboxylate your ground cannabis. Place the flowers on a baking sheet and bake at a temperature of 230 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.
3. Using a double boiler, fill pot below with water, bring to boil. Melt the butter, then add 2 cups of water and mix. Let the butter simmer over medium heat.
4. Add the cannabis as soon as the butter starts to melt. Reduce to low heat and mix the ingredients well.
5. Let the ingredients cook for 2 to 3 hours. Stir occasionally, and maintain a temperature of 200 to 250 degrees Fahrenheit. If the butter nears the maximum temperature, add a bit more water to prevent the butter from scorching. When the butter appears thick and glossy, you can stop cooking.
6. Place a sieve lined with cheesecloth over a large glass bowl. Pour the butter over the sieve and wait for it to filter into the bowl. This should take 5 to 10 minutes.
7. Cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
8. Drain any remaining liquid and pat the hardened butter with paper towels to absorb any remaining moisture.
9. Refrigerate your butter in an airtight container.

94024.jpg

F.D.A. approves GHB for sleeping disorder*

Jazz Pharmaceuticals brought in more than $1.7 billion last year selling GHB to narcolepsy patients. With the new approval, sales could soar.

by Virginia Hughes | New York Times | 12 Aug 2021

In the 1960s, the drug was given to women during childbirth to dampen their consciousness. In the 1990s, an illicit version made headlines as a “date rape” drug, linked to dozens of deaths and sexual assaults.

And for the last two decades, a pharmaceutical-grade slurry of gamma-hydroxybutyrate, or GHB, has been tightly regulated as a treatment for narcolepsy, a disorder known for its sudden sleep attacks.

Now, the Food and Drug Administration has approved the drug for a new use: treating “idiopathic hypersomnia,” a mysterious condition in which people sleep nine or more hours a day, yet never feel rested. Branded as Xywav, the medication is thought to work by giving some patients restorative sleep at night, allowing their brains to be more alert when they wake up. It is the first approved treatment for the illness.

But some experts say the publicly available evidence to support the new approval is weak. And they worry about the dangers of the medication, which acts so swiftly that its label advises users to take it while in bed. Xywav and an older, high-salt version called Xyrem have a host of serious side effects, including breathing problems, anxiety, depression, sleepwalking, hallucinations and suicidal thoughts.

"GHB has serious safety concerns, both in terms of its abuse liability and its addictive potential,” said Dr. Lewis S. Nelson, the director of medical toxicology at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School.

An estimated 40,000 people in the United States have been diagnosed with idiopathic hypersomnia, but Dr. Nelson said that many more people with daytime drowsiness might wind up with this diagnosis now that it has an F.D.A.-approved treatment. The disorder’s hallmark symptoms — sleep cravings, long naps and brain fog — overlap with many other conditions.

The more people who take the drug, the more opportunity for abuse. “The potential for the scope of use to expand is very real,” Dr. Nelson said. “So that is concerning to me.”

The new approval is a boon for Jazz Pharmaceuticals, based in Dublin, which brought in more than $1.7 billion last year selling Xyrem and Xywav to about 15,300 people, most with narcolepsy.

“We’re really excited about bringing the benefit of this effective medication to more patients,” said Bruce Cozadd, the chairman and chief executive of Jazz, which announced the new approval on Thursday.

On the black market, homemade GHB — also known as liquid ecstasy, goop and G — can be bought by the capful for $5 to $25. But nightly treatments of Xyrem and Xywav cost roughly $100,000 a year. The new approval will make it much easier for hypersomnia patients to get insurance coverage for Xywav.

Many doctors and patients have never heard of idiopathic hypersomnia, Mr. Cozadd said, but Jazz will aim to change that. “There’s an educational effort that we’ll be part of,” he said, “which is really making sure there’s a better understanding among treaters and among patients of the condition and its treatment.”

The F.D.A. said its decision was significant because it is the first drug approved to treat the disorder.

“Idiopathic hypersomnia is a lifelong condition, and the approval of Xywav will be instrumental in providing treatment for symptoms such as excessive sleepiness and difficulty waking, and in effectively managing this debilitating disorder,” said Dr. Eric Bastings, deputy director of the agency’s Office of Neuroscience, in a statement.

In March, Jazz and the Hypersomnia Foundation, a patient advocacy group, began an awareness campaign — “I have IH” — which included an online survey of health care providers’ knowledge of the condition (it was low), and advertisements in Times Square.

“I never thought I’d live to see that day — it was very emotional,” said Betsy Ashcraft, the treasurer of the foundation’s board of directors, whose adult son has idiopathic hypersomnia. (Jazz paid the foundation for board members’ time consulting on the campaign, she said.)

GHB is an old drug, first synthesized by a Russian chemist in 1874. A century later, it was sold as a dietary supplement in the United States, and academic researchers began reporting that it greatly improved the nighttime sleep of people with narcolepsy and curbed their daytime attacks of paralysis, called cataplexy.

In 1994, the F.D.A. approached a Minnesota drug company called Orphan Medical to investigate GHB as a treatment for narcolepsy. The government gives incentives — including tax credits and seven years of market exclusivity — to develop drugs for diseases that have small patient markets.

But at the same time, illicit GHB was becoming a big problem. At low doses, the odorless powder can trigger euphoria and sexual arousal, making it popular at parties and raves. At high doses, especially when mixed with other downers like alcohol, it can knock a person out without any memory of what happened.

Tips for better sleep

Tired of tossing and turning? There are some strategies you could try to improve your hours in bed.

- Four out of five people say that they suffer from sleep problems at least once a week and wake up feeling exhausted. Here’s a guide to becoming a more successful sleeper.

- Stretching and meditative movement like yoga before bed can improve the quality of your sleep and the amount you sleep. Try this short and calming routine of 11 stretches and exercises.

- Nearly 40 percent of people surveyed in a recent study reported having more or much more trouble than usual during the pandemic. Follow these seven simple steps for improving your shut-eye.

- When it comes to gadgets that claim to solve your sleep problems, newer doesn’t always mean better. Here are nine tools for better, longer sleep.

In 2000, after GHB had been linked to sexual assaults and deaths, Congress passed a law that made the drug illegal, but allowed for future medical uses. Later that year, Orphan Medical sought F.D.A. approval of Xyrem for narcolepsy.

A subsequent meeting of an F.D.A. advisory committee brought charged testimony both for and against the drug. A lawyer who had taken GHB for narcolepsy for 19 years testified that his cataplexy “disappeared almost overnight,” with no side effects. The next speaker described how her daughter had bought GHB as a supplement for bodybuilding and became addicted. “I am here today to tell you how GHB killed my daughter,” she said.

The advisory committee recommended the agency approve Xyrem for narcolepsy with cataplexy, which it did in 2002. Three years later, Orphan was acquired by Jazz.

Xyrem contains a lot of salt, increasing a user’s risk of hypertension. The low-sodium Xywav was approved for narcolepsy last year, and Jazz has been urging doctors — with much success — to switch patients to the new brand. As executives pointed out in a recent earnings call, the shift is good news for Jazz’s business: Xyrem will most likely begin to compete with generic versions of the drug next year, whereas Xywav will have market exclusivity until at least 2027.

Both prescriptions are tightly controlled through a safety program (known as a REMS) in which a single pharmacy ships the drug and regularly monitors patients and their doctors. Through this strict program, Jazz receives regular reports about any negative drug experiences reported by patients, and must disclose such cases to the F.D.A.

As of June 30, the F.D.A. had recorded more than 27,000 “serious adverse events” for patients taking Xyrem or Xywav, including 753 deaths, according to the agency’s public database of such reports. (The F.D.A. defines serious events as those that were life threatening or led to hospitalization, serious medical consequences or death. However, these reports could be inaccurate or incomplete, the agency notes. Some of the events happened to people taking multiple drugs, and no single report can prove a drug caused illness.)

“For some years I’ve had questions about whether this drug has benefits that exceed its high risks,” said Thomas Moore, a researcher at the Center for Drug Safety and Effectiveness at Johns Hopkins University, who in 2014 published a report recommending that the F.D.A. re-evaluate Xyrem.

“F.D.A. approval of Xywav is based on both its benefit and its risks,” said Mr. Cozadd of Jazz. “Clearly F.D.A. believes, as we do, that used properly the drug is very beneficial for these patients.”

In the years after Xyrem was approved for narcolepsy, Orphan Medical, the company Jazz later acquired, ran afoul of the federal government for inappropriately marketing the drug for unapproved conditions, including insomnia, depression and fibromyalgia, a chronic condition involving pain and fatigue that affects at least four million people in the United States. The transgression cost Jazz $20 million in fines.

In 2010, Jazz tried to get the drug approved to treat fibromyalgia, but an F.D.A. advisory committee voted overwhelmingly against the idea.

“The data supporting its benefit was infinitesimally small,” said Dr. Nelson of Rutgers, who was on that panel. "Given the large size of the fibromyalgia population, the committee deemed the risks too high," he said: “Even with REMS, it just seemed like a potentially catastrophic idea.”

The F.D.A. granted the new approval for hypersomnia without asking an advisory panel to weigh in. Jazz’s application was based on a small clinical trial in which 115 patients were given Xywav for 12 to 16 weeks, leading to decreases in scores on a sleepiness scale. After that acclimation period, about half of the volunteers were switched to a placebo for two weeks, which led to marked increases in their sleepiness scores.

“Those under placebo deteriorated very rapidly,” said Dr. Isabelle Arnulf, a sleep disorder specialist at the Pitié-Salpêtrière University Hospital in Paris, who has studied hypersomnia for 25 years and helped carry out Jazz’s clinical trial. (She has not taken any payments from the company, she said.)

Although many of the volunteers reported side effects like nausea, anxiety and dizziness, the change in sleepiness scores was “extremely high,” Dr. Arnulf said. “That’s why we are so enthusiastic with this drug. These results align with a 2015 study of a few dozen hypersomnia patients from her clinic who were helped by Xyrem," she said.

Other scientists were skeptical of the new trial’s results, which were presented at a scientific conference but not yet published in a journal. Some pointed out that the placebo group’s worsening scores might be at least partly explained by the negative effects of chemical withdrawal from the drug.

“Some, or possibly most, of the treatment difference could be contaminated by withdrawal effects,” Mr. Moore of Johns Hopkins said after reviewing a poster presentation of the data the company provided to The New York Times.

A senior scientist at Jazz, Dr. Jed Black, said that the volunteers who were switched to placebo did get sleepier, but that their scores were still better than they were before starting the trial, which you wouldn’t expect if they were in the throes of withdrawal. “There’s absolutely no evidence of withdrawal, or any evidence of physical or psychological dependence,” he said.

Other experts said it was also hard to tease apart the possible effects of other drugs. More than half of the volunteers had been taking stimulant medications and were allowed to continue those drugs during the study.

“Based on what they presented, you cannot say it’s a study that supports approval,” said Stanley Edlavitch, an epidemiologist at the University of Missouri Kansas City School of Medicine and former F.D.A. official.

But with few other options, many hypersomnia patients are willing to take their chances on the drug. Rebecca King, a board member of the Hypersomnia Foundation, said she long struggled with daytime sleepiness, taking hourslong naps in the morning and afternoon but never feeling like she had slept — until Xyrem, which her doctor legally prescribed “off label” four years ago, before it was approved by the F.D.A.

“The doctor actually said to me, ‘Rebecca, are you sure you want to try this? You are messing with your brain,’” she recalled. "But the drug was a huge, dramatic improvement for me,” she said.

Still, it isn’t for everyone. Ms. Ashcraft’s son, for example, saw no benefit when he tried Xyrem.

“If you gave me a list of medicines and said, ‘Which one do you want approved for idiopathic hypersomnia?’ I don’t know that I would have picked Xywav,” said Dr. Lynn Marie Trotti, a sleep neurologist at Emory University School of Medicine who has studied the condition.

Still, Dr. Trotti is pleased that there is now an approved choice for people with such a debilitating illness.

“For some patients, it is going to be the right medication,” she said, “and they should be able to access it.”

*From the article here :

Last edited:
1*oldUnaCegpdWMltyOuAgmQ.jpeg

Finally, a safe and affordable treatment for insomnia that really works!

mrs peabody | Sep 19 2019

MAKE YOUR OWN CBD TINCTURE

Following is the result of 5 years of my own exhaustive research into how to make an effective CBD medicine that I could use to treat my 30-year chronic insomnia condition.

I personally find commercially available CBD unaffordable, and edibles contain too much sugar. They are also inconsistent in terms of dosage. Instead of paying high prices at the dispensary, I've developed a home remedy I can dose precisely which has completely cured my insomnia. After sleeping no more than 4 hours a night for 30 years, which I attribute to sustained hormonal imbalance precipitated by childbirth, I now sleep 8 hours every night. I'm not drowsy the next day, and my overall health has improved dramatically!

A few drops will enable deep, restful sleep all night. Allow two hours for the medicine to work. The best cannabis to use is a non-hybrid Indica containing CBD with a low level of THC. (Cannabis must contain some THC to activate the CBD.)

CAUTION! Never use this method near an open flame, natural gas or propane burner, or permit smoking around the cooking area. Remove paper, towels - ANYTHING flammable nearby! Always use in a well-ventilated area!

SUPPLIES

MagicalButter MB2 Botanical Extractor Machine
LoveGlove (comes with the machine)
PurifyFilter (comes with the machine)
Decarboxylate box with temperature gauge
Full face organic vapor gas mask
1 ounce cannabis flower (Indica recommended)
2 cups Everclear Food Grain Alcohol 190 Proof
2-cup Pyrex (glass) measuring cup
10ml dosing syringe
Dark glass bowl
Cheesecloth

1. Prepare oven
- Test the oven to verify temperature accuracy - it must be 250 degrees Fahrenheit (121 degrees Celsius)
- Use your empty Decarboxylate box and temperature gauge (supplied with the box) to do this
- Preheat oven to "true" 250 degrees Fahrenheit (121 degrees Celsius)

2. Prepare cannabis
- Measure 1 ounce cannabis flower
- Break apart flowers to uniform size, do not pre-grind
- Place cannabis in the Decarboxylate box along with the temperature gauge (included)

3. Decarboxylate (dry) the cannabis
- Set temperature for the Decarboxylate box at 250 degrees Fahrenheit (121 degrees Celsius) using the gauge
- Place in the oven on the center rack and bake at 250 degrees Fahrenheit (121 degrees Celsius) for 30 minutes
- Temperature gauge will sound when the correct internal temperature is reached
- After 30 minutes remove from the oven, and spread cannabis out on tray to cool completely

61NarVTN2EL._AC_SL1064_.jpg

4. Tincture extraction
- CAUTION! When working with 190 proof food grain alcohol, wearing the gas mask is necessary to avoid inhaling toxic fumes
- Wearing gas mask (see above) and gloves, using the glass measuring cup, measure 2 cups of 190 proof Everclear Food Grain Alcohol
- Place the cannabis and grain alcohol into your MagicalButter MB2 Botanical Extractor Machine, and follow the manufacturer's instructions
- Press the 130 Temperature button, then press "4 Hours/Tincture"

5. Evaporation of alcohol
- After the cycle is complete, unplug the unit and remove the head of the appliance
- Put on your LoveGlove and pour the pitcher contents slowly through your PurifyFilter into a dark glass container
- Cover with cheesecloth and allow the alcohol to evaporate (away from all flammables!) for several days
- Refrigerate the filtered tincture in an air-tight glass container.

6. Yield
- 1oz cannabis = @ 400ml of tincture
- 1ml of tincture = @ 12mg of CBD
- Recommended starting dose = .5ml

7. Dosing
- Draw .5ml of tincture into the 10ml syringe
- Add tincture to your drink of choice & ingest
- Wait at least 2 hours before taking any more
- Increase in increments not greater than .5ml

If this seems like a lot of hard work, imagine never suffering from insomnia again!

Questions? PM me! - pb

20a5c1cb-b6a6-4b77-8f1b-16b9fcc18296-andrey_popov_shutterstock1.jpg

How does Melatonin differ from CBD for sleep?

by Sanam Yar | Bustle | 6 Jan 2019

If you’re trying to sleep, here’s the difference between taking CBD & melatonin.

Over the last year, sleep became a bit of a national obsession, with the trend showing no signs of slowing down in 2019. Time and time again, experts emphasize the importance of routinely getting a good night’s rest, and considering that one third of Americans aren’t getting enough regular sleep, according to a 2016 study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the trend doesn’t exactly come as a surprise. But for many people, the quest for a good night's sleep involves some kind of sleep aid, whether that's good sleep hygiene, exercise, melatonin, or cannabidiol — aka, CBD. If you’re interested in potentially trying out a new sleep aid, it’s worth understanding how melatonin and CBD differ when it comes to helping you sleep.

One of the main reasons people associate CBD — a nonpsychoactive cannabis compound found in tinctures or pills — with better sleep is because it's known for its anti-inflammatory properties, Dr. Michael Breus, clinical psychologist and sleep doctor, tells Bustle. "We also know it helps with lower inflammation. We know that lower inflammation helps with sleep. The science conclusively linking CBD with better sleep," Dr. Breus says, "is only about 85 percent of the way there, however." A 2017 literature review on the subject suggests that CBD “may have therapeutic potential for the treatment of insomnia,” but the results so far are mixed. The review also notes that CBD may be useful for treating excessive daytime sleepiness and REM sleep behavior disorder (a condition where people “act” out their dreams, physically moving their limbs in their sleep or engaging in activities like sleep talking).

Another 2013 study found that administering small doses of CBD in rats appeared to increase the animals’ total sleeping time, but it also increased the time it takes to fully fall asleep when administered during the light portion of the day (versus when they were administered CBD during the dark period of the day). “These studies mainly point to CBD’s ability to interact with ... serotonin receptors and GABA receptors in the brain,” Gretchen Lidicker, author of CBD Oil: Everyday Secrets: A Lifestyle Guide To Hemp-Derived Health and Wellness, told HuffPost.

Serotonin is a neurotransmitter than plays an important role in regulating mood and anxiety, while GABA is a “primary inhibitory neurotransmitter” that helps reduce excess activity in the nervous system. While anecdotal evidence suggests CBD could help some insomniacs sleep if their lack of sleep is due to underlying anxiety, the substance’s results are highly individualized depending on the cause of your sleep troubles. In some cases, small doses of CBD could in fact stimulate alertness, a 2014 study found.

All things being equal, more research into CBD's effects on sleep needs to be done before we understand exactly how it helps sleep (if at all).

Unlike CBD, melatonin is a hormone that’s produced by the brain’s pineal gland that helps regulate your sleep-wake cycle. "Melatonin doesn't make you fall asleep, but melatonin tells your body it's bedtime," Dr. Breus previously told Bustle. "Those turn out to be two completely different processes in the brain. Both have to be in sync in order for you to be able to fall asleep."

Melatonin supplements basically set the gears in motion for your body to be able to fall asleep, which is why they're helpful to take if you're experiencing jet lag or another situation where your body's natural sleep-wake cycle is disrupted. But if you're just experiencing a random sleepless night, Dr. Breus says it might not be the most helpful thing in your medicine cabinet. "A lot of people won't even take a sleep aid in any form, whether it's a supplement or a pill, until they're in the midst of insomnia at 2:00 a.m.," he says. Melatonin in this case is doubly unhelpful because it takes about 90 minutes to send the signal to your brain to start getting sleepy, and because it has a half-life of about six hours — meaning if you get up at 8:30 the next morning, it will still be in your system, causing a hangover-ish feeling.

“You can try a supplement on a short-term basis if you’re experiencing insomnia, want to overcome jet lag, or are a night owl who needs to get to bed earlier and wake up earlier, such as for work or school,” said sleep expert Luis F. Buenaver, Ph.D., C.B.S.M., in an article for Johns Hopkins Medicine. But according to the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, study results evaluating melatonin’s effects on insomnia in adults are mixed at best, though some research suggests it might slightly decrease the time it takes someone to fall asleep.

And the supplement doesn’t come without risks. Some research indicates that the appropriate dosage of melatonin to be effective as a sleep aid is 0.3- 1.0 mg, whereas many supplements come in doses several times that amount. Additionally, according to SELF, since melatonin pills are considered a dietary supplement, they don’t get heavy regulation by the FDA, meaning the supplements you’re buying may contain different amounts of melatonin than what they’re advertising on the bottle.

It’s important to note that while sleep aids may be helpful in the short-term, they are not stand-ins for proper treatment of insomnia. The National Sleep Foundation recommends people to turn to sleep aids only if insomnia continues despite other behavioral changes and non-medical treatments you’ve already attempted. If you’re dealing with persistent sleep difficulties, you should consult your doctor first to help identify potential causes and discuss treatments.

*From the article here :

Sleep_WP.jpg

Psychedelics, Cognition, and Sleep Disorders

by Tanya Ielyseieva |TRUFFLE REPORT | 22 Nov

Psychedelics have long been used to aid mental health and physical wellbeing. With the research and legal landscape around psychedelics rapidly changing, it’s easy to understand why people are turning their attention to psychedelics to help with sleep. According to the American Sleep Association (ASA), around 70 million Americans suffer from sleep disorders, with insomnia being the most common. Can psychedelics be a sleep aid?

What are sleep disorders?

Sleep disorders are conditions that affect a person’s sleep on a regular basis. These conditions can contribute to other medical problems and can be a symptom of underlying mental health issues. Depending on the type of sleep disorder, people may struggle to fall asleep, and/or feel tired throughout the day. Sleep disorders can occur along with other medical or mental health conditions, such as depression and anxiety.

The main types of sleep disorders are:​
  • Insomnia​
  • Sleep Apnea​
  • Narcolepsy​
  • Rhythm sleep-wake disorders (delayed sleep, irregular sleep, jet lag disorder)​
  • Parasomnia​
  • Sleep-related movement disorders (restless legs syndrome)​

Sleep disorder can be a combination of different factors such as physical and medical conditions, psychiatric disorders (including anxiety and depression), environmental factors, prescribed medications, genetics, or aging.

The effects of psychedelic drugs rely on serotonin and dopamine, which elevate mood and boost physical activity. When neurotransmitters are changed, it can lead to sleep difficulties. According to research, people who struggle with depression have an imbalance of serotonin. This neurotransmitter impacts mood and lets the brain know when to move from one stage of sleep to the next. Psychedelic drugs change serotonin activity and can prevent a person from going into REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep.

Effect of psilocybin on sleep

According to a study conducted at the National Institute of Mental Health, potential antidepressant properties of psilocybin might be related to changes in sleep.

The study published in Frontiers in Pharmacology analyzed data from twenty healthy volunteers in a randomized, double-blinded study to evaluate the effect of psilocybin on sleep architecture on the night after psilocybin administration.

“Despite the fact that psilocybin is currently the most intensely investigated psychedelic, the absence of any preclinical or clinical sleep data after acute administration of psilocybin represents a major knowledge gap related to its potential antidepressant effect,” wrote the authors. “Therefore, the primary aim of our study was to evaluate changes in sleep associated with psilocybin administration. More specifically, the study aimed to identify how psilocybin changed both macro- and microstructural sleep parameters to study both traditional sleep stage measures as well as more detailed quantitative aspects of sleep by conducting whole-night polysomnography with 19 channels electroencephalography (EEG).”

Researchers hypothesized that psilocybin would:​

• prolong REM onset latency​
  • decrease the proportion of REM sleep​
  • increase SWA during the first sleep cycle where most SWA occurs​

All participants did two sessions, one with an inactive placebo and one with psilocybin.

The study revealed prolonged REM sleep latency after psilocybin administration and a trend toward a decrease in overall REM sleep duration; these results are in line with the effects of SSRI, SNRI, TCA, and MAOI antidepressants.

“Overall, our study supports the potential role of psilocybin in sleep regulation and brings new insight into the clarification of its antidepressant properties,” wrote the authors.

The effects of daytime ayahuasca consumption on sleep

A study conducted at the Centre d’Investigació del Medicamen and led by Manel J. Barbanoj suggests that ayahuasca has little effect on sleep quality.

The research, published in Nature Scientific Reports, used data from twenty-two healthy male volunteers who had previous experience with psychedelic drugs to investigate the effects of daytime ayahuasca consumption in sleep parameters. The effects of ayahuasca were compared with placebo and d-amphetamine.

“Results show that ayahuasca did not induce any subjectively perceived deterioration of sleep quality or PSG-measured disruptions of sleep initiation or maintenance, in contrast with d-amphetamine, which delayed sleep initiation, disrupted sleep maintenance, induced a predominance of ‘light’ vs ‘deep’ sleep and significantly impaired subjective sleep quality. PSG analysis also showed that similarly to d-amphetamine, ayahuasca inhibits rapid eye movement (REM) sleep, decreasing its duration, both in absolute values and as a percentage of total sleep time, and shows a trending increase in its onset latency. Spectral analysis showed that d-amphetamine and ayahuasca increased power in the high frequency range, mainly during stage 2,” wrote authors. “Remarkably, whereas slow-wave sleep (SWS) power in the first night cycle, an indicator of sleep pressure, was decreased by d-amphetamine, ayahuasca enhanced power in this frequency band.”

MindMed’s study of low-dose LSD effects on sleep and cognitive measures

MindMed, a medical biotechnology company, is launching a new study aimed at discovering if low doses of LSD can help patients achieve better quality sleep.

“Increasingly, claims are being made about so-called ‘microdosing’ of psychedelics regarding the potential to impact mental and physical well-being, cognition, memory, and specific aspects such as creativity and productivity,” said Dr. Miri Halperin Wernli, MindMed’s Executive President. “However, scientific evidence to support or even fully explore the safety and benefits claimed has been lacking. With our innovative study design, integrating digital medicine measurement techniques with more traditional self-reporting and cognitive tasks, our goal is to provide insight on key parameters that may impact and explain the mechanisms behind low-dose treatments. These parameters include diurnal versus nocturnal differences and possible cumulative effects due to repeated administration. This regimen could provide new tools to deal with various pathologies, helping to unblock pathological ways of thinking by shifting an individual’s perspective, catalyzing insights and ultimately changing problematic and habitual mindsets and behaviours.”

MindMed is recruiting patients for a randomized, placebo-controlled trial that will study the impact of daytime and night-time dosing of LSD. According to the press release, researchers will use “digital measurement devices and software to measure the effects of microdoses of LSD on neuroplasticity markers such as BDNF plasma levels, as well as on various sleep measures, mood, cognitive performance, regulation of emotions, quality of life, and immune system response.”

“Research into the practice of taking repeated low doses of psychedelics starts with the basics, looking at whether there is a time of day that influences the impact of these treatments,” s
aid Dr. Kim Kuypers in the press release. “We are investigating whether the repeated intake of lower doses could lead to realignment of patterns of thinking that would enable individuals to access levels of self-awareness that can provide an enriched experience of life.”

MindMed has several clinical trials and therapy programs in development, all of which aim to develop psychedelic-based therapies to optimize patient outcomes and introduce a better approach to mental health.

Amanita_Muscaria_Mushroom_Sleep_Disorders_Psyched_Wellness_Psychedelic_Spotlight.jpg

Amanita Muscaria Mushroom Extract for Sleep Disorders*

by Emily Jarvie | Psychedelic Spotlight | 21 Sep 2021

Psychoactive compound muscimol has been shown to treat stress and anxiety, ease muscular pain, and promote restorative sleep.

Canadian-based health supplements company Psyched Wellness is studying how its proprietary Amanita Muscaria mushroom extract (AME-1) could benefit humans suffering from sleeping disorders such as insomnia.

The aim of the study is to carry out an assessment of a novel sleep-enhancing food supplement containing AME-1 for self-declared insomniacs, including both subjective and objective sleep measures.

According to the American Sleep Association, anywhere between 50 to 70 million adults in the United States suffer from a sleep disorder. Insomnia is the most common sleep disorder, with short-term insomnia experienced by about 30% of American adults and chronic insomnia by 10%. Insomnia is also linked to other health issues, for example, 3 to 5% of cases of adult obesity can be attributed to short sleep – being less than seven hours of sleep per night.

Current conventional and over-the-counter sleep medications have residual effects and drowsiness, so Psyched Wellness is hoping to develop a new treatment that demonstrates a lack of residual hangover effects and increased alertness during the day. The company’s broader goal is to promote a healthier body and mind through its line of Amanita Muscaria-derived water-based extracts, teas, and capsules which it says encourage stress relief, relaxation, and restful sleep.

Amanita Muscaria’s main psychoactive components are ibotenic acid and muscimol. According to Psyched Wellness, when isolated, muscimol has been shown to treat stress and anxiety, ease muscular pain, and promote restorative sleep. The mushroom is native to temperate and boreal regions of the Northern hemisphere. It has been used in traditional healing practices for centuries, for example, by indigenous peoples in Siberia and by the Sámi.

It can also be argued that the Amanita Muscaria mushroom, commonly known as the fly agaric or fly amanita, is the most iconic toadstool species, being a large, usually red, white-spotted mushroom. This species is widely depicted in popular culture, notably in the Super Mario franchise and Lewis Carrol’s book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland.

“Psyched Wellness is researching the hugely important field of sleep and its disorders, and the company’s proprietary AME-1 has the potential to assist with these,” said study lead and Head of Psyched Wellness’ Scientific Committee Professor David Nutt. “Positive results from this clinical study will allow the company to write a claim on the future AME-1 supplement that the product can help with sleep while also improving daytime functioning.”

Psyched Wellness Chief Operating Officer David Shisel added: “Completing the sleep study and obtaining a structure/function claim for AME-1 is a very significant milestone, not only for the company but for everyone that suffers from insomnia and sleeping disorders.”

*From the article here :

cbd-for-sleep-800x600-1.jpg

Insomnia patients respond well to concurrent use of CBD + Melatonin, study*

by NORML | 17 Feb 2022

Modena, Italy: Patients with sleep disorders respond favorably to the co-administration of CBD and melatonin, according to data published in the Italian journal La Clinica Terapeutica.

A team of Italian researchers assessed the short-term administration of a sublingual compound consisting of 15mgs of melatonin and 2.5 mgs of plant-derived CBD in a cohort of middle-aged to older adults (ages 43 to 96) with a history of sleep disorders and anxiety. Study participants self-administered 20 drops of the compound prior to bedtime for a three-month period.

Researchers reported that CBD/melatonin co-administration was associated with reduced feelings of anxiety, pain, depression, panic, and paranoia, as well as with “good general health perceptions.”

They concluded, “These data suggest that the formula CBD-melatonin could be competitive with the classic hypnotic synthetic drugs; the antioxidant activity of melatonin offers a further benefit to the brain network, restoring the biological clock functions, while CBD, reducing chronic pain perception, helps to complete the neuromuscular relaxation and to relieve anxiety fulfilling a very balanced sensation of well-being during the sleep.”

Clinical trials have previously shown that the administration of either oral cannabinoid products or plant-derived cannabis extracts is associated with improvements in sleep in patients with insomnia. Observational studies also have shown that subjects who use herbal cannabis prior to bedtime report significant improvements in perceived insomnia levels and severity.
Full text of the study, “Insomnia treatment: A new multi-tasking natural compound based on melatonin and cannabis extracts,” appears in La Clinica Terapeutica.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
black-tea-being-poured-which-contains-l-theanine.jpg

L-Theanine for Sleep*

L-theanine is a compound that occurs naturally in green tea and black tea, and it is also available in supplement form.

L-theanine is an amino acid. The human body does not produce this compound, and it is not essential for humans. Green tea, black tea, and certain types of mushroom naturally contain L-theanine. L-theanine may affect the levels of certain chemicals in the brain. These include serotonin and dopamine, which influence mood, sleep, and emotion, and cortisol, which helps the body deal with stress.

L-theanine acts on several chemical messengers (neurotransmitters) in the brain including GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid), serotonin, dopamine, and glutamate. The combined effects promote relaxation and falling asleep, improve the quality of sleep, and decrease wakefulness.

What are the benefits of L-theanine?

1. Better mental focus

Many people drink black or green tea while at work, believing that it boosts their mental focus. A 2012 studyTrusted Source supports this idea.

The researchers found that people who took 100 milligrams (mg) of L-theanine made fewer errors in an attention task than those in the placebo group. Drinking 50 mg of caffeine or combining the L-theanine and caffeine also improved people’s focus.

2. Improved sleep

Several studies have suggested that L-theanine could help people relax before bedtime, get to sleep more easily, and sleep more deeply. These benefits may result from the specific effects that the amino acid has on brain chemicals that play a role in sleep.

A 2018 studyTrusted Source found that people reported having greater sleep satisfaction after taking 450–900 mg of L-theanine daily for 8 weeks. The study participants had generalized anxiety disorder and were taking antidepressants.

woman-in-a-deep-sleep.jpg

How L-theanine works
  • Boosts levels of GABA and other calming brain chemicals. L-theanine elevates levels of GABA, as well as serotonin and dopamine. These chemicals are known as neurotransmitters, and they work in the brain to regulate emotions, mood, concentration, alertness, and sleep, as well as appetite, energy, and other cognitive skills. Increasing levels of these calming brain chemicals promotes relaxation and can help with sleep.​
  • Lowers levels of “excitatory” brain chemicals. At the same time it is increasing chemicals that promote feelings of calm, L-theanine also reduces levels of chemicals in the brain that are linked to stress and anxiety. This may also be a way that L-theanine can protect brain cells against stress and age-related damage.​
  • Enhances alpha brain waves. Alpha brain waves are associated with a state of “wakeful relaxation.” That’s the state of mind you experience when meditating, being creative, or letting your mind wander in daydreaming. Alpha waves are also present during REM sleep. L-theanine appears to trigger the release of alpha-waves, which enhances relaxation, focus, and creativity. One of the appealing aspects of L-theanine is that it works to relax without sedating. That can make L-theanine a good choice for people who are looking to enhance their “wakeful relaxation,” without worrying about becoming sleepy and fatigued during the day.​

Dosage

L-theanine is not a medication, so there are no official guidelines regarding how much a person should take. However, the supplement is unlikely to cause an overdose. L-theanine is usually available in the form of 200-mg tablets.​

Summary

Experts consider L-theanine to be generally safe for people to take as a supplement. Small studies and research on animals suggest that L-theanine could help with relaxation, improved sleep quality, and neuroprotection.

*From the articles here :

Last edited:
istock_insomnia.jpg

CBD as a Sleep Aid*

by Danielle Pacheco & Dr. Abhinav Singh | Sleep Foundation | 11 Mar 2022

A good night’s sleep is essential to your overall health and wellbeing. Experts recommend adults sleep seven to nine hours1 each night. Proper sleep ensures you feel well-rested and have energy for the next day2. A good night’s rest also contributes to memory formation, helps grow and repair muscle and tissue, and prevents sickness.

Unfortunately, falling asleep or staying asleep can be difficult for certain types of sleepers. As many as 70% of Americans3 report not sleeping the recommended hours, and nearly one-third of American workers sleep less than six hours per night4. Solutions for better sleep and avoiding sleep debt vary. Possible approaches include improved sleep hygiene, prescription sleep aids, and natural sleep aids.

One increasingly popular strategy for sleeping better is taking cannabidiol (CBD), a derivative of cannabis. CBD is commonly used to improve sleep and decrease anxiety. However, the regulation of CBD in the United States is limited, and much more research must be done to determine the exact effects CBD has on sleep and other physical and mental health concerns.

About cannabis and cannabinoids

While there are many different slang terms for the green, narrow-leafed plant you may recognize, the plant is scientifically called Cannabis sativa5. The word “cannabis” can be used to describe any products made from the plant. Cannabis plants contain multiple chemical compounds, including a group referred to as “cannabinoids.” Out of more than 100 cannabinoids, researchers have primarily studied two that appear to have the greatest impact on humans: tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and CBD.

What is tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)?

Most commonly known effects of cannabis, such as “getting high,” are caused by the cannabinoid, THC6. The term “marijuana” specifically refers to parts of the Cannabis sativa plant that contain THC.

Cannabis plants and derivatives that contain less than 0.3%7 THC are classified as “hemp.” As of 2018, hemp is no longer defined as a controlled substance by the U.S. federal government. As a result, there has been an influx of hemp-related products in the American market. These products are generally marketed as CBD products.

What is cannabidiol (CBD)?

CBD, the other commonly known cannabinoid, can be legally sold in the U.S. when extracted from hemp8 and marketed according to relevant regulations. CBD does not have psychoactive properties9 and does not bring about the same effects as THC. Also, CBD does not have effects that would lead to potential dependency10 or risk of abuse.

CBD is an increasingly popular substance in the U.S. While many health benefits have been attributed to CBD, in most cases, scientific validity of its effectiveness is still unclear.

Is CBD FDA-approved?

Only a few cannabis-derived or cannabis-related drug products are FDA-approved in the U.S.:​
  • Epidiolex. This oral CBD solution11 was the first drug containing a purified cannabis-derived substance approved by the FDA12. The drug is approved for seizure treatment in rare and severe forms of epilepsy, Dravet syndrome, Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, and tuberous sclerosis complex for patients ages two and up. Although Epidiolex has been shown to reduce other types of seizures, it has not yet been FDA-approved for treating those seizures.​
  • Marinol and Syndros. These two drugs contain dronabinol, a synthetic form of THC13. They come in capsules or oral solutions14. Dronabinol affects the part of the brain that controls appetite, nausea, and vomiting, so the drugs have several therapeutic uses. These uses include the treatment of nausea and vomiting in chemotherapy patients and treatment of weight loss in patients with HIV.​
  • Cesamet. Cesamet contains nabilone, a synthetic compound with a chemical structure similar to THC. Like dronabinol, this capsule also affects the part of the brain that controls vomiting and nausea15. The drug is prescribed to patients receiving chemotherapy who have not responded to other nausea and vomiting treatments.​
The FDA has not approved any other CBD drug products. The agency has not determined the safety and effectiveness of cannabis or CBD in the treatment of any particular conditions or disease.

What forms does CBD come in?

There are several common forms of CBD:​
  • Oral solutions, such as the FDA-approved drug Epidiolex​
  • Oral sprays that are applied under the tongue​
  • Oils and tinctures, sometimes described as drops or droplets16
  • Vapes and vape juices to use in a vaping pen​
  • Edible items, such as gummies, chocolates, or cookies, and beverages, such as coffees and teas​
  • Pills and capsules​
  • Topical solutions, including lotions, creams, patches, gels, and ointments​
What are common doses of CBD?

Outside of Epidiolex, the FDA doesn’t regulate dosing of non-drug CBD products. As a result, the amount of CBD in products varies widely among forms.

Research shows 300-mg oral doses of CBD can be taken safely on a daily basis for up to six months. One scientific review showed that taking up to 1,500 mg daily17 was well-tolerated by participants. A subsequent review confirmed that use of 1,500 mg daily for four weeks18 showed no negative effects.

Unfortunately, the indicated CBD content on a product label is not necessarily the amount that the product actually contains, which may lead people to take more or less CBD than intended. One analysis of 84 CBD products sold online showed that 26% of the products contained less CBD than the label said19. The same analysis showed nearly 43% of the products were underlabled, meaning they contained substantially more CBD than the label said.

While CBD at higher doses does not appear to have serious negative consequences, these products may also contain higher levels of THC than reported on the label. Other CBD products may contain THC that is not reported on the label at all. The THC in these products can produce intoxicating effects, which may or may not be desired.

What are the effects of taking CBD?

Research shows that CBD has a calming effect on the nervous system20. CBD can also alter mood because it affects the serotonin system. Outcomes vary among people and depend on the product type and dose.

Unlike THC, CBD does not induce a feeling of being “high.” Even large doses of CBD do not produce THC-like effects. Additionally, a few studies have demonstrated that CBD reduces the psychoactive effects of THC.

Studies of short-term CBD use show that patients do not experience withdrawal21.

What health conditions can CBD help with?

So far, CBD’s effectiveness in the treatment of epilepsy is well-supported by research. Other early research suggests that CBD may also help treat schizophrenia and substance use disorders.

Currently, there is insufficient research to determine the effectiveness of CBD in treating other health conditions. However, preliminary research suggests CBD can help with a number of sleep disorders, including insomnia22 REM sleep behavior disorder23, and excessive daytime sleepiness disorder24. Additional preliminary research suggests CBD can also help patients improve sleep and reduce anxiety.

What are the risks of CBD?

Most negative effects of CBD medications and products are mild. For example, patients who use Epidiolex may experience diarrhea or other gastrointestinal issues. Some people may experience drowsiness when they take CBD. Other negative effects experienced with CBD may be due to an interaction between the CBD and other medications the patient is taking.

How can CBD help with sleep disorders?

Research on the effects CBD has on sleep disorders is still preliminary. Some people who use CBD for chronic pain report sleeping better. Currently, it is unclear whether these patients sleep better because of the pain relief or because CBD directly affects their sleep.

Other initial studies of CBD and sleep disorders suggest positive outcomes. However, not everyone experiences the same sleep benefits with CBD use, and different doses might lead to different effects. Research suggests that low doses of CBD are stimulating, while high doses of CBD are sedating. Discrepancies in experience can also be attributed to the method of CBD administration and dose. Additional research is needed to deepen our understanding of CBD as an intervention for sleep disorders.

Anxiety and CBD

While not a sleep disorder itself, anxiety can contribute to poor quality sleep, insufficient sleep, and sleep disorders. Because CBD calms the nervous system, early research indicates that CBD can be used to treat anxiety-related disorders. One study showed that nearly 80% of participants who used CBD to treat their anxiety reported lower anxiety levels within a month. Sleep initially improved in more than 65% percent of participants, followed by fluctuating results.

Insomnia and CBD

People who suffer from insomnia experience difficulty falling asleep or staying asleep25 at night. This disorder affects daytime wakefulness, ability to concentrate, and mood. Because of their history of poor sleep, people with insomnia may suffer from anxiety about getting inadequate sleep, which can then increase sleeplessness at night26.

Given the potential positive outcomes of CBD treating anxiety, it is speculated that CBD may also help reduce the anxiety associated with insomnia. Additionally, a new pilot study27 of CBD and THC use in humans with physician-diagnosed insomnia is underway. The results of the study will offer more insight into the effects CBD has on insomnia.

REM sleep behavior disorder and CBD

In REM sleep behavior disorder, patients verbalize and make aggressive movements28 during their rapid eye movement (REM) stage of sleep. The disorder is most common in older patients with neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer’s disease and Parkinson’s disease.

In a limited study of four patients with Parkinson’s disease, CBD helped manage the REM sleep behavior disorder symptoms. Before taking CBD, the patients experienced disorder symptoms 2–7 times per week. After taking CBD, the symptoms occurred 0–1 times in a week. Further studies are necessary, but these initial results suggest CBD as a possible treatment for REM sleep behavior disorder.

Excessive daytime sleepiness disorder and CBD

Those who have excessive daytime sleepiness disorder struggle to stay awake during typical daytime hours. One solution for waking up on time and staying wake may be CBD. Initial research on animals shows that CBD functions as a wake-inducing drug. However, other studies suggest CBD functions as a sedating drug. Further research is needed to determine what doses and methods of CBD use affect wakefulness and sleepiness.

Does CBD interact with other prescriptions?

CBD can interact with other prescriptions a person takes. In particular, CBD can slow the liver’s ability to break down certain medications. Additionally, using CBD as well as herbs or supplements can make the patient too sleepy.

Before using any CBD product, consult your doctor. Let your doctor know of any medications, herbs, or supplements you are taking, so they can assess if CBD might cause a negative interaction. Your doctor will be able to inform you if CBD is a viable option to meet your health goals.

*From the article (including references) here :

Last edited:
5323.jpg

The effects of daytime psilocybin administration on sleep

Daniela Dudysová, Karolina Janků, Michal Šmotek, Elizaveta Saifutdinova, Jana Kopřivová, Jitka Bušková, Bryce Anthony Mander, Martin Brunovský, Peter Zach, Jakub Korčák, Veronika Andrashko, Michaela Viktorinová, Filip Tylš, Anna Bravermanová, Tom Froese, Tomáš Páleníček, and Jiří Horáček

Serotonergic agonist psilocybin is a psychedelic with antidepressant potential. Sleep may interact with psilocybin’s antidepressant properties like other antidepressant drugs via induction of neuroplasticity. The main aim of the study was to evaluate the effect of psilocybin on sleep architecture on the night after psilocybin administration. Regarding the potential antidepressant properties, we hypothesized that psilocybin, similar to other classical antidepressants, would reduce rapid eye movement (REM) sleep and prolong REM sleep latency. Moreover, we also hypothesized that psilocybin would promote slow-wave activity (SWA) expression in the first sleep cycle, a marker of sleep-related neuroplasticity. Twenty healthy volunteers (10 women, age 28–53) underwent two drug administration sessions, psilocybin or placebo, in a randomized, double-blinded design. Changes in sleep macrostructure, SWA during the first sleep cycle, whole night EEG spectral power across frequencies in non-rapid eye movement (NREM) and REM sleep, and changes in subjective sleep measures were analyzed. The results revealed prolonged REM sleep latency after psilocybin administration and a trend toward a decrease in overall REM sleep duration. No changes in NREM sleep were observed. Psilocybin did not affect EEG power spectra in NREM or REM sleep when examined across the whole night. However, psilocybin suppressed SWA in the first sleep cycle. No evidence was found for sleep-related neuroplasticity, however, a different dosage, timing, effect on homeostatic regulation of sleep, or other mechanisms related to antidepressant effects may play a role. Overall, this study suggests that potential antidepressant properties of psilocybin might be related to changes in sleep.​

Discussion

As expected, the main finding of this study is that psilocybin significantly increased REM sleep onset latency and showed a trend toward reduced REM sleep duration on the first night after administration. These results are in line with the effects of SSRI, SNRI, TCA, and MAOI antidepressants. Serotonergic agonists without antidepressant effect, e.g., fenfluramine or pergolide do not show such an effect. Shortened REM sleep onset latency, increased REM sleep duration and increased REM density have been previously considered as biological markers of depression, and their normalization was associated with the reduction of depressive symptoms. Thus, induced changes of REM sleep onset latency observed in the present study may be related to the antidepressant effects of psilocybin where corresponding doses of psilocybin (i.e., 10–25 mg) were administered.

Contrary to our expectations, psilocybin significantly decreased absolute delta power during SWS in the first sleep cycle on the night after psilocybin administration. From the neurochemical perspective, our finding corresponds with the research on fenfluramine and other 5-HT2 receptor agonists that decrease SWA. However, this result contradicts ketamine research, which suggests increased SWA at the first night after treatment. The difference can be attributed to different neurochemical effects of ketamine or the shorter pharmacokinetics after intravenous infusion of ketamine in comparison to the oral presentation of psilocybin and thus to differing effects on the timing of plasticity processes. Concurrently, Catlow et al. showed that the effects of psilocybin on neurogenesis (the formation of new neurons, also related to sleep) are dose- and time-related. It is thus possible that a different dose or administration timing could affect the expression of SWS, similarly as in SSRIs (e.g., sertraline) that increase SWS after 12 weeks of treatment.

An alternative explanation for the present findings may be that the acute effects of psilocybin cause a decrease in homeostatic sleep pressure. Altered sleep pressure may in turn reflect suppressed neural synchrony and/or recruitment of wider cortical neural networks, processes that underlie plastic changes related to synaptic homeostasis. Lastly, present SWA changes may also be explained by mechanisms other than neuroplasticity. SWA suppression could normalize abnormally increased SWS power in depression and could relate to the improvement of depressive symptoms as was previously shown using disruptive acoustic stimuli during SWA. Future research should investigate whether psilocybin leads to SWA suppression in clinically depressed populations and whether SWA changes relate to the improvement of depressive symptoms.

To investigate qEEG changes of sleep after psilocybin administration in general, a set of power spectral analyses was conducted. On the first night after administration, psilocybin did not affect EEG power spectra in NREM or REM sleep stages robustly. The only differences were found in increases of relative power in the sigma band in NREM sleep overall. Although these differences did not remain significant after correction for multiple comparisons and could be associated with the decrease of SWA in the present study, future research on larger samples is warranted. Sigma activity has been associated with sleep spindles which are believed to play an important role in sleep maintenance protection as well as in memory consolidation, synaptic plasticity, and depression.

Congruently with our expectations, psilocybin did not significantly affect objective and subjective sleep continuity or overall subjective sleep quality on the first night after administration. The only parameter affected, a prolonged subjective sleep latency, was comparable to that observed after ayahuasca. The tendency to the increased proportion of N2 sleep is in line with reported acute effects of SNRI, TCA, and fenfluramine. This change could be related to decreases in REM and N3 sleep.

Despite no gender differences in sleep macrostructure were found, the analysis of relative SWA delta power during the first sleep cycle identified higher SWA in women, a finding consistent with literature. Interestingly, the gender differences interacting with psilocybin administration were found only in subjective sleep quality. Women generally report more subjective sleep problems than men which is an opposite trend as shown after psilocybin administration. It is possible that psilocybin worsens subjective quality in men. However, this result must be treated with caution given low sample size.

In conclusion, our study is the first to document that psilocybin shows several expected sleep changes including increased REM sleep onset latency and a trend to decreased REM sleep duration following the first night after administration as documented in serotonergic antidepressants (especially SSRIs). Future research should explore psilocybin’s antidepressant properties using measures of mood or antidepressant response after administration and explore possible associations with sleep changes.

Our results did not confirm the assumption that psilocybin would increase delta power during SWS in the first sleep cycle as seen after ketamine administration. Instead, psilocybin acted as other 5-HT2 receptor agonists that decrease SWS. Findings could reflect SWA alterations by mechanisms other than neuroplasticity. Overall, our study supports the potential role of psilocybin in sleep regulation and brings new insight into the clarification of its antidepressant properties.

*From the article (including references) here :

woman-sleeping-best-cbd-oil-for-Sleep-and-Insomnia.jpeg

Best CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia

by Ryan Fiorenzi | START SLEEPING | 20 Feb 2022

Cannabidiol or CBD has shown promise in helping sufferers of insomnia, as well as other conditions, some of which can interrupt sleep. Without the psychoactive effects of marijuana, CBD has been reported to help with anxiety, depression, addiction, stress, anorexia, epilepsy, glaucoma, high blood pressure, muscle spasms, Parkinson's disease, and joint pain. There are many reputable CBD products available, but you have to be careful because the CBD industry is relatively new, unregulated, and has even been referred to as "the wild west." In rare cases, there have been products with no CBD or those that have included harmful ingredients.

We've done a deep dive into CBD for sleep and insomnia and found a few winners based on several criteria.​
  1. Soil: the hemp plant is a bioremediator, which means that it can clean the soil of toxins and other harmful chemicals. It was used in Chernobyl after the nuclear disaster to return the soil to a usable state. You don't want to ingest hemp that has been used in unhealthy soil.​
  2. Formula: many CBD products for sleep are combined with other sleep supplements such as melatonin or GABA to make them more effective than CBD alone.​
  3. Extraction: CBD can be extracted in 3 ways. The first is to use CO2 (carbon dioxide) under high pressure and low temperatures to maintain the quality of the oil. The second is to use olive oil to extract hemp oil. The third method is using ethanol, which is mainly for extracting CBD for vaping. The issue with ethanol is that it destroys waxes, which have health benefits.​
  4. Form: there are a lot of ways to take CBD, including in a supplement, tincture, gummy, liquid, vape, topicals (balms, creams, etc.) How you take it can affect how quickly you feel the effects and how the product works. As topicals are better for joint pain and vaping looks to be unsafe, we've chosen tinctures, gummies, and capsules as our top choices.​
  5. 3rd party testing: to make sure there's nothing harmful and to ensure what's in the final product, all of our top choices have a certificate of analysis (COA). CNN did an episode on CBD and featured a vaping product called "YOLO CBD" that had no CBD in it and was sending people to the emergency room.​
  6. Company vision and reputation: in any new industry with lots of opportunities to make money, there will always be charlatans who are there just to make fast cash. We've focused on companies with leaders who have a passion for helping improve people's health through cannabinoids.​

What is CBD?

CBD is cannabidiol, a compound from the cannabis plant. The cannabis plant has two species: hemp and marijuana. One of the most important differences between the two is that hemp has a much higher percentage of CBD, and marijuana has a much higher percentage of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol—the compound that makes a person high). Though many CBD products contain 0.3% THC, these products don't make anyone high. CBD doesn't cause a high and has been shown to reduce the psychoactive effects of THC.

CBD interacts with your endocannabinoid system (ECS). Researchers still don't understand exactly how CBD works with ECS receptors, but the ECS plays a role in many systems in the body, including sleep, mood, appetite, memory, reproduction, and fertility.​

Where to Buy CBD Products for Sleep

There are a lot of CBD products, but fewer CBD products are designed specifically for sleep. Taking a product that only has CBD can help you sleep, but if it's combined with a sleep aid such as GABA or melatonin, it will probably be more effective to help you get to sleep and stay asleep.

You can't buy products advertised as having CBD on Amazon, though they have hemp products. Don't buy hemp products that are missing CBD on the label - you have no idea how much CBD you're getting, if any.

You can buy CBD products from retail stores, a marijuana dispensary, or directly from a CBD company online. We recommend doing thorough research before buying—not just buying off a retail shelf without knowing what you're getting.​

Different Forms of CBD

There are many ways to take CBD, and each method has its benefits and drawbacks.​
  • Capsule - is a good way to take CBD as you know exactly how much you're taking. It has to pass through your digestive system and get metabolized by your liver, so take capsules an hour or two before bed.​
  • Tinctures and sprays - have the fastest absorption rate of all forms of CBD. Spray or place the drops under your tongue, then wait 60-90 seconds. The CBD will be absorbed in about 20 minutes via the mucous membranes in your mouth. The only drawback of these methods is that it's a little more difficult to get an exact dosage, and sprays and tinctures will sometimes have a taste that people don't like.​
  • Gummies - have a similar absorption method to capsules. The only caution is that some brands contain a lot of added sugar, making it more difficult to fall asleep.​
  • Creams and lotions - are generally a better option for localized pain, such as pain in your knee or elbow.​
  • Vaping - we don't recommend vaping due to safety concerns. Though it's smokeless and fast-acting, manufacturers aren't regulated, and as of February 2020, there have been 2,807 cases of vaping-related illness and 68 deaths.​

CBD Dosage

The general rule for dosing CBD is to take 1-6 mg for every 10 lbs of body weight. It's better to start small and track the amount you're taking and the effects you're experiencing. For more information, check out our guide to CBD dosage. We took the latest dosage recommendations and turned this into an easy-to-use CBD dosage calculator. Simply enter your weight to receive a dosage range.​

Full-Spectrum vs. Isolate

Full-spectrum CBD contains a range of cannabinoids, including THC. It will be 0.3% or less, so the chances of it showing up on a drug test are very small, and it won't make you high, but for those who don't want to ingest any THC, isolate is recommended. The drawback of isolates is that they don't have the benefits of other cannabinoids, terpenes, or flavonoids. Isolates are also more difficult and expensive to process.
CBD studies such as this one from Israel showed full-spectrum to be more effective than isolate. When CBD is used in conjunction with other compounds, it's referred to as the "entourage effect." Dr John McPartland describes cannabis as "inherently polypharmaceutical." For those who are looking for the most benefits from CBD, full-spectrum is a good choice.​

What are Terpenes?

Terpenes are organic compounds produced by plants as well as some insects. There are over 20,000 of them, and at least 100 are produced by the cannabis plant. Terpenes often have strong odors and protect plants from insects and animals. They're the primary constituents of essential oils. They give plants their distinct smells, flavors, and colors. They also affect the endocannabinoid system (ECS).
Some terpenes found in plants and herbs are:​
  • Curcumin: from the turmeric plant, often used in Indian cooking, it's a powerful anti-inflammatory and antioxidant.​
  • Terpinolene: found in sage and rosemary, it's a sedative, an antioxidant, and an anti-bacterial.​
  • Limonene: found in citrus, it smells like lemons, elevates mood, relieves stress, is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.​
  • Linalool: found in flowers, spices, and cannabis, it relieves stress, is an anti-inflammatory and an anti-depressant. Linalool may boost the immune system and reduce lung inflammation.​
  • Myrcene: found in lemongrass, hops, basil, thyme, and cannabis, it can compose up to 50% of the cannabis plant's terpenes. It's a muscle relaxer, sedative, and anti-inflammatory.​

What are Flavonoids?

Flavonoids are a diverse group of phytonutrients (of over 6,000) found in almost all fruits and vegetables and are responsible for vivid colors. They're also found in grains, bark, roots, stems, and flowers.
Some flavonoids are only found in cannabis. These are called cannaflavins.
Three flavonoids found in cannabis are:​
  • Quercetin: antioxidant and anti-viral, also found in green tea, red wine, and berries.​
  • Apigenin: anti-anxiety and anti-inflammatory, also found in chamomile, parsley, and celery.​
  • Cannaflavin A: a natural anti-inflammatory; research suggests that it could be a natural replacement for aspirin.​

CBD and Insomnia Research

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) has approved two CBD-based medicines in the last few years:​
  • In 2014, Elixicure was the first CBD-infused over-the-counter topical pain relief cream product to have a certified registration with the FDA.​
  • In 2018, the FDA approved Epidiolex, the first drug comprised of an active ingredient from marijuana to treat two rare and severe forms of epilepsy in patients two years old and older: Lennox-Gastaut syndrome and Dravet syndrome.​
Though neither of these are used to treat insomnia, CBD has shown promise in other areas that are related to insomnia, as insomnia may be caused by many things, including anxiety, depression, and pain.

A study from Colorado concluded that of 72 patients who suffered from poor sleep or anxiety, 79.2% experienced less anxiety, and 66.7% slept better within the first month of using 25 mg/day. The CBD was well-tolerated in all but 3 patients.

The National Institutes of Health published a study from Serbia that stated that cannabinoids and cannabis are, "old drugs but are a promising new therapeutic strategy for pain treatment."

A lot of CBD users report falling to sleep more quickly and feeling more refreshed when they wake up. There have been a few studies, such as this one published in the Journal of Clinical Pharmacology, where subjects who took 160 mg of CBD reported sleeping more than those taking a placebo.

As CBD users often report a sense of calm, some use it to reduce anxiety, and it may help sufferers of Parkinson's disease who have REM behavior disorder. It's not surprising that many people use CBD for sleep. It also shows promise in the reduction of stress, social anxiety, and depression. Researchers believe that CBD interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain.

Some manufacturers are now producing CBD products in combination with other traditional sleep aids such as melatonin.​

CBD Side Effects

CBD doesn't cause problems for most people. However, there are side effects for some people that include:​
  • drowsiness​
  • fatigue​
  • dry mouth​
  • reduced appetite​
  • gastrointestinal issues​
If you're taking any medications, you should talk to your doctor to make sure there aren't any interactions with any drugs that you're taking. CBD tends to have interactions with drugs that have a grapefruit warning. There are more than 85 drugs that interact with grapefruit and a few other citrus fruits, such as pomelos and tangelos, because these fruits contain furanocomarins, which disrupt the normal function of a group of proteins called cytochrome P450 (CYPs). CYPs break down medications, and furanocomarins can interrupt their function, which can increase the levels of the 85+ drugs in the bloodstream.

The following are the types of drugs that have grapefruit warnings:​
  • pain​
  • blood thinners​
  • prostate and erectile dysfunction​
  • cholesterol​
  • blood pressure​
  • heart rhythm​
  • mood​
  • anti-infection​
To see a list of medications that have a grapefruit warning, visit rxlist.com. If you want to understand the potential drug interactions with medicinal cannabis, check out mdpi.com.​

Is CBD Legal?

There's a lot of confusion about the legality of CBD because it's an often-changing and complicated topic. There are state laws and there are federal laws, and you could be violating the federal law but not the state law, and vice versa. There's also the issue of how the CBD is sourced. Right now, hemp-derived CBD products with less than 0.3% THC (the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana) are legal on the federal level, but state laws vary. According to Green Market Report, "Federal laws are mostly for legislation purposes and will only override the provisions of state law in rare circumstances."

CBD is derived from either marijuana or hemp, and most states allow CBD if it comes from hemp. Vermont allows every type of CBD, regardless of where it's sourced. Other states with the same stance are Washington, District of Columbia, Oregon, Alaska, California, Nevada, Colorado, Illinois, Michigan, Maine, and Massachusetts.

States that have banned any marijuana-based CBD are Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, and Texas.

Some states do allow marijuana-based CBD, as long as it's used for medical purposes. These states include Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Iowa, Louisiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Utah, Virginia, West Virginia, Wisconsin, and Wyoming.

The states that have banned both hemp-based and marijuana-based CBD are Nebraska and Idaho, unless the product has 0% THC, so in those states, the only product that's legal is CBD isolate.

What you need to know is that if the CBD that you're taking in one state is legal, and you travel to another state, you'll need to research that state's laws regarding your CBD product.​

Best CBD Products for Sleep

We’ve spent many hours researching different products based on soil, formula, extraction method, form, 3rd party testing, and company vision and reputation. We've also contacted companies to find some of this information as it isn't always provided on their websites.

All of our top choices are full-spectrum CBD products because they contain all of the cannabinoids, terpenes, and flavonoids naturally found in the plant that are stripped away in CBD isolates. We have included one non-THC isolate for those who don't want to ingest even a small amount of THC.​

NuLeaf Naturals​

NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil - CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
$30 on NuleafNaturals.com
Mainly sold on NuleafNaturals.com​

Best Value

• Full-spectrum extract.​
  • 100% organic and non-GMO.​
  • Third-party tested.​
  • CO2 extraction method helps preserve the terpenes, essential oils, vitamins, trace minerals, omega fatty acids, and cannabinoids.​
  • Grown in the USA on licensed farms in Colorado.​
  • NuLeaf is passionate about CBD and has been in the industry for over five years. They're members of the Hemp Industries Association and the National Hemp Association.​

NuLeaf Naturals​

NuLeaf Naturals 900 mg capsules, best CBD oil
$30 on NuleafNaturals.com
Mainly sold on NuleafNaturals.com​

Best Capsules

From the same company that produced our top choice, NuLeaf Naturals, these 30 mg capsules are for those who prefer capsules to tinctures.​
  • Full-spectrum extract.​
  • 100% organic and non-GMO.​
  • Third-party tested.​
  • CO2 extraction method helps preserve the terpenes, essential oils, vitamins, trace minerals, omega fatty acids, and cannabinoids.​
  • Grown in the USA on licensed farms in Colorado.​
  • NuLeaf is passionate about CBD and has been in the industry for over five years. They're members of the Hemp Industries Association and the National Hemp Association.​

Charlotte's Web CBD Oil​

Charlotte's Web CBD Oil - CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
$60 on Charlottesweb.com

Highly Rated

• Grown in the USA.​
  • A full-spectrum hemp extract that includes beneficial phytocannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and essential fatty acids.​
  • Available in mint chocolate, lemon twist, orange blossom, and olive oil.​
  • In the process of getting the official USDA Organic Certification.​
  • 3rd party testing/COA (certificate of analysis) is available on their website.​
  • One of the CBD industry leaders. The founders were featured in Dr Sanjay Gupta's TV special on CBD.​
  • Gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, and containers have no BPA. No additives or preservatives.​
  • FDA registered facilities following the GMP (good manufacturing practices) protocols.​
  • They follow the American Herbal Products Association's (AHPA) contaminant guidelines and specifications for Good Quality.​

Plus CBD Oil​

Plus CBD oil capsules - CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
$40 on PlusCBDoil.com
Mainly sold on PlusCBDoil.com​

Highly Recommended

• The only hemp CBD supplement with published toxicology work to support a Generally Recognized as Safe Independent Conclusion (GRAS).​
  • Seed to Shelf™ with EU certified hemp seeds are fully traceable.​
  • The company is a member of the US Hemp Roundtable.​
  • Third-party tested.​
  • Gluten-free.​
  • Non-GMO.​
  • Full-spectrum hemp extract.​
  • US Hemp Authority certified.​
  • Non-chemical CO2 extraction process.​

Charlotte's Web CBD and Melatonin​

Charlotte's web CBD gummies - CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
$30 on Charlottesweb.com

Best Gummy

• Grown in the USA.​
  • Full-spectrum hemp extract that includes beneficial phytocannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and essential fatty acids.​
  • No additives or dyes are used to standardize the color or the gummies, so the color may vary slightly from batch to batch.​
  • Flavored with juices from fruits and vegetables.​
  • The serving size of 2 gummies contains 10 mg of CBD.​
  • 3rd party testing/COA (certificate of analysis) is available on their website.​
  • One of the CBD industry leaders. The founders were featured in Dr Sanjay Gupta's TV special on CBD.​
  • Gluten-free, vegan, non-GMO, and containers have no BPA. No additives or preservatives.​
  • FDA registered facilities following the GMP (good manufacturing practices) protocols.​
  • They follow the American Herbal Products Association's (AHPA) contaminant guidelines and specifications for Good Quality.​

Charlotte's Web CBD Starter Bundle​

Charlotte's web CBD gummies - CBD Oils for Sleep and Insomnia
Check Price on Charlotte Web's Site

Best Starter Pack

Charlotte's Web is the most famous CBD producer and has a great starter bundle for those who want to try CBD in several different forms. The bundle contains a 50 mg oil (tincture), a lavender-hemp infused roll on, a 6 count of CBD gummies for sleep, and a 6 count of gummies for recovery.​
  • Grown in the USA.​
  • Full-spectrum hemp extract that includes beneficial phytocannabinoids, terpenes, flavonoids, and essential fatty acids.​

Last edited:
1140-melatonin-sleep.imgcache.rev.web.1300.747.jpg

Melatonin for Sleep: Does it work, and is it safe?

The popular supplement comes with side effects and questions about its effectiveness.

by Rachel Nania | AARP | 10 Mar 2022

A good night’s sleep is about more than beauty rest. Research has linked quality sleep to better brain health, heart health and mental health — it can even lower risks for certain cancers.

But a new study suggests that an increasing number of Americans are having trouble getting those all-important z’s. Researchers tracked a fivefold increase in melatonin use among U.S. adults in the past few decades. Published in February in JAMA, the study also found that people are taking higher doses of the over-the-counter supplement than what’s typically recommended — despite scant evidence that melatonin works for your run-of-the-mill shut-eye issues, including insomnia.

“We know that melatonin is often used as a sleep aid, but it's actually misused as a sleep aid because it's not a sleep aid,” says Naima Covassin, a coauthor of the study and a researcher in Mayo Clinic's Cardiology Lab.

Popping a melatonin pill or gummy before bedtime may help you fall asleep a few minutes faster, Covassin says, but it won’t make much of a difference in the number of times you’re waking up at night or how many total hours you’re getting. “There's actually very little improvement in all of these parameters,” she adds.

When does Melatonin work?

To understand when melatonin can be beneficial, it’s important to know more about its role in the sleep-wake cycle.

Many consumers are familiar with the bottled version of melatonin — around 6 million U.S. adults reach for it. But melatonin is a naturally occurring hormone the brain produces in response to darkness to help our bodies know when it’s time to go to sleep and when it’s time to be awake.

When melatonin hits the bloodstream (typically, a few hours before bedtime), it reduces alertness and “facilitates our ability to fall asleep,” explains David Neubauer, M.D., associate professor of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at Johns Hopkins Medicine. It also helps cool off the brain and the body, “which helps you sleep better,” says James K. Wyatt, director of the Section of Sleep Disorders and Sleep-Wake Research at Rush University in Chicago.

Because melatonin doesn’t have the same sedating effect that many sleep aids provide, taking it in pill form is less helpful on those nights when you can’t seem to fall asleep or stay asleep.

It can work, however, in instances when you want to adjust your biological sleep clock — say, to overcome jet lag after traveling through several time zones or to shift your schedule entirely so that you’re going to bed a few hours earlier. Melatonin supplements can also benefit shift workers who need to sleep during the day, when the body’s melatonin levels are naturally low. That’s when supplementing with melatonin is “actually quite effective,” Covassin says.
Side effects of Melatonin

Short-term use of melatonin may cause mild side effects, including:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Drowsiness
Less common side effects include:
  • Short-term feelings of depression
  • Mild tremor
  • Mild anxiety
  • Abdominal cramps
  • Irritability
  • Reduced alertness
  • Confusion or disorientation

Is Melatonin safe?

Melatonin is generally safe and well-tolerated. But just because it’s available in the U.S. without a prescription and sold alongside multivitamins and probiotics doesn’t mean it’s risk-free. (In many countries it can be purchased only by prescription.)

“We think since it's available over the counter that it's harmless, but it may not necessarily be true,” Covassin says. Short-term use of melatonin supplements can come with a list of side effects, especially when taken in high doses, including headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue and daytime sleepiness. Vivid dreams and nightmares have also been reported.

“These are mild, but they can also affect your daytime function; think about if you have to drive or if you have to operate machinery,” Covassin points out. Further, the National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health (NCCIH) at the National Institutes of Health says that melatonin may stay active in older adults longer, which could lead to daytime drowsiness. The research center also notes that information on long-term safety is lacking.

More serious, albeit rare, reactions have been linked to melatonin supplements, including changes in heart rate and blood pressure, temporary feelings of depression, seizures, and confusion or disorientation. What’s more, melatonin has been shown to affect glucose tolerance, or the body’s ability to handle sugar.

There are drug interactions to consider, too. For example, melatonin can increase bleeding risks among people taking anticoagulants and antiplatelet drugs; it can worsen blood pressure in those taking blood pressure medications, and it can stimulate immune function and interfere with immunosuppressive therapy, according to Mayo Clinic.

“So, obviously, this should be taken with caution,” Covassin says. “And that's my main recommendation. If you are thinking [about taking melatonin], or if you are already taking melatonin, talk with your provider to determine whether it's actually appropriate for you.”

It’s important to know that, as with all dietary supplements in the U.S., federal regulations are less strict for melatonin than they are for over-the-counter medicines and prescription drugs. A 2017 study published in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine found that the contents of the majority of melatonin products didn’t match what was listed on the label — their concentrations ranged, and so did the presence of other ingredients. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine offers a tip: When comparing supplement labels, look for the “USP Verified” mark, which indicates that the formulation meets the requirements of the U.S. Pharmacopeial Convention.

What can you do if you have trouble sleeping?

Interested in making some adjustments to your sleep schedule? Before you reach for a pill, Neubauer recommends trying to maximize the melatonin your body produces naturally. You can do this by getting outside and staying active during the day. “Just getting light makes your circadian rhythm more robust, and the more active you are in the daytime, the better chance you have of sleeping more at nighttime,” he says. And because light suppresses the production of melatonin, keep levels low at night — this means limiting the use of your phone, tablet, computer and TV an hour or two before bed.

If you’re having trouble sleeping more generally, it’s important to talk with a doctor to figure out the cause, Wyatt says. “It's rare when sleep goes bad just on its own and it's not because of other things, like the side effects of a different medication, or stress or anxiety or depression, or a pain disorder that’s insufficiently treated — there are all sorts of things.”

A third of U.S. adults report that they usually get less than the recommended amount of sleep (seven or more hours per night for adults), according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and the COVID-19 pandemic has only worsened slumber problems, research shows. The good news: There are treatments for insomnia, and a successful one, cognitive behavioral therapy, doesn’t come in pill form.

“We're starting to realize treating insomnia is not just about getting a better night's sleep,” Wyatt says. “It's to significantly reduce risk for some of these negative health outcomes that could come years to decades later.”

1*CrTWGnqRS008y3EcIQpCiA.jpeg

Can Valerian Be Psychedelic? || Legal and Natural High

The Valerian root is used to improve sleep and calm people. But can this root also trigger psychedelic journeys?

by Alexandre Porto | CABBANIS | 4 Mar 2022

Valerian is definitely one of my favorites plants to have in my garden because it is effective in calming my mind and promoting great sleep. I enjoy exploring the world of lucid dreaming, and good quality of sleep is paramount to experiencing and remembering dreams more accurately, which are things that Valerian offers.

In my time working selling legal psychedelics like the Magic Truffles (Psilocybe fungus) we offered Valerian as an anti-panic tool, in case things went south during the psychedelic experience.

Even though I was aware of its effectiveness, I never looked at it as an entheogen capable of inducing mystical experiences. Recently I have been hearing people tell their Valerian experiences and I am pleasantly surprised to discover that beyond being an effective relaxing agent, this herb also deserves a spot in my legal-high stash.

Today I’d like to bring first-hand reports of people who tried Valerian in a psychedelic ceremony context and wrote what they experienced.

Testing a Macro-Dose

SalsaVerde reports that he was already aware that Valerian is useful against sleeplessness but he still wanted to experiment with a higher dose of Valerian and observe the results.

He made the proper research and found the paper “Willey LB, Mady SP, Cobaugh DJ, Wax PM: Valerian overdose: a case report” where the researchers report that an 18-year-old woman ingested 23 grams of valerian root and reported:
Valerian Overdose Symptoms:

Fatigue;
Crampy abdominal pain;
Chest tightness;
Tremor of the hands and feet;
Lightheadedness;

So he prepared himself by learning what symptoms to look for in case he exaggerated with the dose.

“In this trial, I will be testing a macro-dose of valerian root in the form of approximately 27 grams (0,96 oz) of pulverized plant matter prepared as a tea.”

Preparation of Valerian Tea

Steep the extract for 15 minutes;
Mixed 1/3 almond milk for the taste;

“I drank the first third of the tea with almond milk. It went down smoothly.”

30 minutes later, he reports a feeling similar to MDMA but quite weaker:

“I can feel waves of energy passing from my head to my toes akin to MDMA” […] “ My head feels smoothly blank and relaxed, as if I have taken a half tablet of Valium.”

Before this ceremony, the participant had had a full day of work and felt tired before the tea. After the valerian tea he still felt tired, but somewhat energized.

“Overall, I feel rather pleasant.”

Distraction

A recent theory points to the possibility that during mystical experiences a network in the brain called the Salience Network is more active in the brain while another network called the Default Mode Network becomes less active.

The Default Mode Network is associated with our ‘distracted-mind’, that mental voice that takes over when we are distracted doing something (like doing the dishes, riding the bicycle, etc…). This network is also associated with compulsive mental chatter.

In contrast, during a psychedelic journey, the Salience Network shows more activity, and this is the part of the brain that acts by calling our aware attention to interesting things happening in the background. This means that during the psychedelic voyage the participant is more inclined to pay attention to new things that usually don’t call our attention.

SalsaVerde reports that with a macrodose of Valerian, his attention seemed to bounce around:

“I find myself to be easily distractable — I find myself doing something else every few moments. It’s tough to describe — I’d be doing something, and then realize I have been paying attention to something else the entire time. I’d be typing this report, and later I would find myself chatting with a friend online, with no recollection of switching between activities.”

“I find it nearly impossible to focus on one thing at a time.

“My short-term memory has been affected. The waves of energy are now separated by periods of deep relaxation. I’ve noticed that my hands tremble during the waves of energy. “

“My pupils are dilated. Lights have a very interesting quality to them. I am fairly certain that this glowy-blury quality of light sources is due to pupilary dilation and not the effects of the valerian root.”

“Head rush during a spell of relaxation. Contrasting physical and mental states are quite interesting! “

Interesting sleep aid

The sleep with Valerian feels more healthy somehow. And if you are a dream explorer who would like to have lucid dreams and even to have the ability to stop and return to dreams at will, maybe Valerian is for you.

Joe reports that with Valerian he can:

“distinctly remember a dream I’m having and close my eyes starting where I left off. I can even remember the dream and think of interesting scenarios managing to go right back into the same dream and experience the envisioned scenario.”

Joe even tells about a time when he was half asleep shifting in and out of the dream world and his wife asked him where her car keys were and he managed to suggest where the keys might be without losing grip on the dream.

“All the while having my dream on pause, I then closed my eyes and went right back into the dream.”

I really don’t see in Valerian an herb that will expand the boundaries of my mind as drastically as Mescaline, LSD, Ayahuasca, Psilocybin, etc… but I recognize in this root a powerful ally to keep my nerves calm without that incessant mental chatter.

Another thing that I liked from the reports was the aspect of the Valerian macrodose to make the participant more interested in things that they usually don’t pay a lot of attention to.

As a dream explorer who like to explore new ways to sleep better, experience dreams more vividly, remember the dreams and explore them after I wake up, I think that Valerian is one of the most effective dream herbs that we know of for this end.

Don’t underestimate this wonderful root and please explore it responsibly and respectfully, if you treat Valerian with love, she will reciprocate!

Valerian root may help you sleep better

One of the most studied benefits of valerian is its ability to improve sleep.

Research suggests that taking valerian root may reduce the amount of time it takes to fall asleep, as well as improve sleep quality and quantity.

A 2020 review that included 60 studies concluded that valerian could be a safe and effective treatment to promote sleep and prevent associated disorders.

In the same 2021 study in 39 people undergoing hemodialysis mentioned earlier in this article, people had higher quality sleep when they took 530 mg of valerian root 1 hour before bedtime for 1 month, compared with a placebo.

In a 2017 study that included 120 people with sleep disturbances, one group took 2 pills of an herbal supplement called Vagonotte 30 minutes before their scheduled bedtime for 20 days.

They fell asleep faster, slept longer, and had fewer nighttime awakenings than the placebo group.

Vagonotte is an herbal supplement that contains a combination of valerian, hop, and jujube.

A high quality study from 2011 looked at the effects of valerian extract in 100 postmenopausal women who were experiencing insomnia.

Those who received 530 mg of valerian extract twice a day for 4 weeks had significantly improved sleep quality compared with those who took a placebo.

Moreover, 30% of the women in the valerian group experienced sleep improvements, compared with just 4% in the placebo group.

However, not all studies have found that valerian provides sleep benefits.

A 2011 study looked at 227 people who were undergoing cancer treatment. Those who took 450 mg of valerian 1 hour before bedtime for 8 weeks did not have any significant improvements in sleep, as measured by sleep quality indexes.

Yet the study did find that the valerian treatment led to improvements in fatigue.

Even though valerian may be helpful for improving certain aspects of sleep in some people, more research is needed before strong conclusions can be made.​

How to take valerian root

Valerian will provide the best results when you take it as directed.

According to the latest evidence, a dose of 450–1,410 mg of whole valerian root per day for 4–8 weeks may help support sleep quality.

For tension relief, some experts suggest a dose of 400–600 mg of valerian extract or a dose of 0.3–3 grams of valerian root up to 3 times per day.

Doses ranging from 530–765 mg per day may be effective for reducing anxiety and OCD symptoms, while doses ranging from 765–1,060 mg may help reduce hot flashes during and after menopause.

However, these doses may not be appropriate or effective for everyone with these symptoms. These are simply the doses the current available evidence has shown to be effective.

*From the articles here :

Last edited:
sleep-smart-pillow-neurosinces.jpg

Tracking Sleep with a Self-Powering Smart Pillow

American Chemical Society | Neuroscience News | 4 Jun 2022

A newly designed “smart pillow” that tracks the position of the head during sleep could help to track and monitor sleep quality and duration in those with sleep disorders.

The human body needs sleep as much as it needs food and water. Yet many people fail to get enough, causing both mind and body to suffer. People who struggle for shut-eye could benefit from monitoring their sleep, but they have limited options for doing so.

In a new study in ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces, one team describes a potential solution: a self-powering smart pillow that tracks the position of the head.

Studies have linked chronic lack of sleep to physical ailments, such as diabetes and heart disease, as well as mental health issues. Those interested in getting a better handle on what’s happening to them at night have two primary options. They can take a sleep test conducted in a medical facility, or they can use an app through a smartphone or smart watch — a much more convenient, but less accurate choice.

Recognizing the need, many groups have begun developing new sleep monitoring systems using triboelectric nanogenerators (TENGs). These self-powering systems have taken the form of eye masks, belts, patches and even bed sheets.

Ding Li, Zhong Lin Wang and their colleagues wanted to adapt this approach to create a less restrictive, more comfortable version that focuses on the movement of the head during sleep.

To construct this new smart pillow, the researchers formulated a flexible, porous polymer triboelectric layer. Movement between the head and this layer changes the electric field around nearby electrodes, generating a current. They strung together several of these self-powering sensors to create a flexible and breathable TENG (FB-TENG) array that can be placed atop an ordinary pillow.

This system could generate voltage that corresponded to the amount of applied pressure, and it could track the movement of a finger tracing out letters. The FB-TENG also could capture the pressure distribution of a fake human head as it shifted position.

This smart pillow could have uses beyond tracking sleep, the researchers say. For example, the system could monitor patients with diseases that affect the movement of the head, such as the degenerative neck disorder cervical spondylosis.

What’s more, the smart pillow could be adapted to offer an early warning system for those at risk of falling out of bed, they say.

Author: Katie Cottingham
Source: American Chemical Association
Original Research: Closed access.
Smart Pillow Based on Flexible and Breathable Triboelectric Nanogenerator Arrays for Head Movement Monitoring during Sleep” by Haiying Kou et al. ACS Applied Materials and Interfaces