• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Injecting dope against flow of blood, what happens? what direction on forearm back?

blime84

Bluelighter
First let me start by stating I know you have to inject with the flow of blood, but what happens when you go against it?

I ask this because I hit a vein in my forearm which is on the bottom of it, so I fold my arm up like touching my face and put a needle in facing to the right on the right arm, it registers, but when I inject, I get a slight burning sensation a few sec later, this doesnt flare up like a missed shot, but goes away, making me think perhaps I screwed up the direction of the flow to my heart and should be going the other way?

Any thoughts?

to clarify, If you take your right hand n touch your shoulder with it, its a vein that is about 6 inches above the elbow and kinda pops out only on 1 arm. The other explanation I can think of is that its very close to an area I may have damaged the vein in before a few months ago and thats why it burns. 100% not a missed shot, as after 5 min all signs of this are gone.

I don't know what the effects are of what you're injecting that way. Blood vessel values are meant to go one way, so a valve may be damaged, or if it stands up the vein might blow.

So is the direction wrong then?

or is the burning when i inject caused by other things? only happens there

I have injected on the big vein that runs along the back of forearm (fold arm back like you describe, like making a muscle lol but with elbow down not up in air)

So when resting elbow on my knee while seated and injecting up in does go toward wrist not heart, I have done this many many many times as I couldn't contort myself to insert needle facing down (toward elbow/floor). Although everywhere else I hav always injected toward heart in this particular vein I did not and I never suffered any ill effects from it. No burning no itching no issues and everything felt normal.

Have used that vein for both dope and coke. It's a huge one and I have small veins so for me it used to be an easy hit.

OP I don't know why you experience that, but if you are talking about the same vein I doubt it would be due to direction?

Injecting dope against the flow of blood, what happens?

Yo!
I'm new to B. Light, so hope my post is ok with the 'mods' (I believe that's the correct lingo!) - it's intended to be a genuine answer to yer man's question.

I was an IV heroin user/addict for a number of years (10+) in the UK, where we have predominantly Afghani 'brown' heroin, and have to add an acid to it to be able to inject it - which may have some relevance here and why I mention it (I don't wanna teach peeps how to IV heroin!!!!).

Whilst I always tried to stick to injecting with the flow of blood (as there are really good reasons for doing it: such as not damaging the tiny, delicate valves in the vein walls which are designed to prevent blood flowing the wrong way down them), towards the end of my 'heroin career' I didn't always have the luxury of choice on that front! I'd have to go where I could, which at times, due to the physical mechanics of the process, meant going against the flow of blood. It DIDN'T sting - all things being as they should. By that I mean if I'd have undone the tourniquet (which I couldn't always do, as it'd sometimes cause the needle to come out of the vein); not used too much Citric (which stings - a lot more than Vit. C, and wrecks your veins in a whole new way!); etc.

I don't know if you have to add an acid to your heroin, but even if you don't, I would suggest it's more likely to be those damaged areas close to the injection site that are causing the stinging you're experiencing - as the 'hit' passes through, especially if it's got Citric in it, that definitely stings! - rather than going against the flow... especially if you're releasing the tourniquet before putting the hit in, although that doesn't alter the basic premise: that in my experience going against the flow doesn't sting.

I hope this is of some help/use.
In solidarity,
Si