• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Industrial Society and its Future

Wilson Wilson

Bluelighter
"The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race."

I am curious to discuss the criticisms of modern society and technology put forth by Ted Kaczynski (the Unabomber). I encourage people to separate the actions of the author from the ideas presented in the text, as the bulk of the text itself is not only lucid and sane with a consistent philosophy, but seems to become more relevant with each passing year.

This is the full text.

It is 35,000 words so I don't expect most people to read the entire thing. But simply skimming the first couple pages is enough to give you an idea of the concepts contained within.

Aside from the direct attack on technology, there is also a wider attack on the foundation of modern day society, with a core belief that it is impossible to live in an industrial society without giving up personal freedom and autonomy. This expands into the fields of moral and political philosophy. Some particularly interesting quotes:

"The moral code of our society is so demanding that no one can think, feel and act in a completely moral way. For example, we are not supposed to hate anyone, yet almost everyone hates somebody at some time or other, whether he admits it to himself or not. Some people are so highly socialized that the attempt to think, feel and act morally imposes a severe burden on them. In order to avoid feelings of guilt, they continually have to deceive themselves about their own motives and find moral explanations for feelings and actions that in reality have a non-moral origin. We use the term "oversocialized" to describe such people."

"Today people live more by virtue of what the system does FOR them or TO them than by virtue of what they do for themselves. And what they do for themselves is done more and more along channels laid down by the system. Opportunities tend to be those that the system provides, the opportunities must be exploited in accord with rules and regulations, and techniques prescribed by experts must be followed if there is to be a chance of success."

"In the modern world it is human society that dominates nature rather than the other way around, and modern society changes very rapidly owing to technological change. Thus there is no stable framework."

It is further asserted that our society has been set up to serve the progression of technological advances at all costs, and instead of technology being developed in such a way that it helps society, instead society is being shaped to serve technology.

It is prophesied this will eventually lead to the genetic engineering of humans, essentially creating technological eugenics. This is being developed right now because after all who can say no to preventing diseases that threaten quality of life? But you cannot begin a precedent of chopping and changing human DNA without eventually creating genetically engineered humans. Indeed we already have the science necessary to choose the colour of your child's eyes for example.

Further, another vital point is that any technological invention eventually becomes mandatory even if no one is technically forcing you to use it. For example smartphones used to be an expensive novelty. The first iPhone was seen by most as a fancy overpriced toy. Fast forward to today and most people are effectively required to own a smartphone to communicate with friends and family as well as for work. No one is technically forcing you to own one, but most of us effectively are required to own one due to various social obligations. And yet this has happened in a very short amount of time, as the original iPhone came out in only 2007 and the original Android phone in 2008. A relevant quote:

"Another reason why technology is such a powerful social force is that, within the context of a given society, technological progress marches in only one direction; it can never be reversed. Once a technical innovation has been introduced, people usually become dependent on it, so that they can never again do without it, unless it is replaced by some still more advanced innovation. Not only do people become dependent as individuals on a new item of technology, but, even more, the system as a whole becomes dependent on it. (Imagine what would happen to the system today if computers, for example, were eliminated.) Thus the system can move in only one direction, toward greater technologization."

And sure enough technology keeps replacing more and more things society depends on. Even currency is now digital and computerised. And in response to concerns of an eventual cashless society where recorded bank and card transactions will be the only method of spending money, the only possible saviour is cryptocurrency - more anonymous than a bank account, certainly, but still totally reliant on technology, and a blockchain requires a (usually public) ledger.

This is to our detriment, the text argues, as the increased trend to shape society around technology has lead to increased rates of depression, anxiety, and other mental illness because we are simply living a way that we have not evolved to.

And need I say it? Look at the effect social media is having on the Gen Z right now. That's the generation that has never even grown up in a world without social media. And further they do not simply put their lives on social media, but they instead live their lives for social media. They act as if they're in the public spotlight and care deeply about how they're perceived on the make believe land of social media because all their peers do the same as they simply don't know anything else.

This is the same generation that has the highest recorded rates of depression and anxiety in human history.

For a very literal example of a society becoming a slave to technology you need look no further than China. As of next year the state run social credit system, which already exists as a series of pilot programmes, goes into action fully. Every single Chinese citizen will be electronically ranked by the government on their obedience to the state. A high ranking will net you everything from access to exclusive hotel rooms and luxury taxis to priority treatment in hospitals. A low ranking, on the other hand, can lead to you being banned from buying property, travelling by train or plane, and have your kids kicked out of school.

Yes China will soon be a society where people will have to check the social rating app on their smartphones before they can buy property or travel. The stated goal is to "allow the trustworthy to roam everywhere under heaven while making it hard for the discredited to take a single step."

Make no mistake that the building blocks exist to create this in the US and across the Western world as well. All you'd need to do is combine the records held by credit referencing agencies - which already take as much personal info as they can get and use machine learning algorithms to create a profile of absolutely everyone - with social media profiles, and boom, you would have a system virtually identical to China's social credit system.

Was that predicted too? Sorta, but it was claimed the introduction of this technology would not be done in an authoritarian manner. This is true for the Western societies it was focusing on - no one is forced by law to use Facebook, but most people do, and they will happily shovel all their personal information into it where it is then fed to advertisers and the US government along with the rest of the Five Eyes. Through social engineering this has quickly become the new "normal." But it is hardly surprising that China has taken a more overt approach to the following:

"Assuming that industrial society survives, it is likely that technology will eventually acquire something approaching complete control over human behavior."

Something I think it did get wrong is the claim that such control would require biological alterations to humanity, not merely psychological pressures. It has been proven more recently that mass surveillance (which even in the West has simply become an accepted norm) alone has a significant impact on how we behave, as people tend to be careful what they do and say when they know they are being watched, effectively creating a culture of covert censorship and control using technology throughout the so called "free world." I am referring not only to internet surveillance but also the ubiquity of CCTV which is now also becoming capable of facial recognition. In its current form facial recognition tech is unreliable, but it will only be improved in the future.

And again, social media, while technically optional, exerts a great deal of psychological control over its users. Social media apps are literally designed explicitly to be as addictive as possible, and the effect of living your life in pursuit of social status in such a public manner cannot be understated, particularly in a whole generation of kids who literally have never known anything different. Just look at how fucked up celebrities become.

Finally, there are predictions about the nature of AI which have been echoed by experts from Stephen Hawking to Bill Gates. People who have made science and technology their life's work are very seriously concerned about AI, and for very much similar reasons to this:

"If the machines are permitted to make all their own decisions, we can't make any conjectures as to the results, because it is impossible to guess how such machines might behave. We only point out that the fate of the human race would be at the mercy of the machines. It might be argued that the human race would never be foolish enough to hand over all power to the machines. But we are suggesting neither that the human race would voluntarily turn power over to the machines nor that the machines would willfully seize power. What we do suggest is that the human race might easily permit itself to drift into a position of such dependence on the machines that it would have no practical choice but to accept all of the machines' decisions."

Stephen Hawking himself went even further and warned that AI has the potential to "spell the end of the human race." A fundamental issue with AI is that we cannot predict how it will think or what moral code it will develop for itself. It is fundamentally impossible to teach AI human morality, not least because there is no universally agreed upon human morality to begin with, but even if there was, how can you teach it to a machine? You could only do so if the machine thought exactly as a human does, but this would be extremely unlikely if not impossible.

These criticisms of technology and its dystopian potential (and increasingly dystopian reality) are far from novel, of course. Works as such as 1984 and Brave New World echoed similar concerns long ago, and modern media such as Black Mirror deals with these concerns in a fashion more directly critical of modern technology today. The 1997 film Gattaca deals with the genetic engineering of humans. AI takeover has been a running theme in sci-fi for decades and increasing automation putting people out of work is becoming a serious concern for many already. Not to mention the many philosophers who have dealt with themes of struggle between individual freedom and demands of society throughout history.

While not overly original, this writing goes into very deep detail about a connected yet wide range of topics just like a published philosophical text would. I myself read it expecting to laugh at a schizophrenic rant, but instead I ended up thinking pretty seriously about a lot of what was said. Indeed when it was first published, many serious intellectuals, academics, and so on praised it as a work of genius. This could easily have been published as a serious philosophical text in its own right had the author not resorted to terrorism... but the sad truth is many fewer people would have read it if that were the case.

It should go without saying I do not at all support the actions of this terrorist or the call to some kind of "revolution" to destroy all technology. And nor do I necessarily agree with his "all or nothing" approach to technology. But I doubt many people could seriously deny that it makes many valid criticisms regarding not only technology but the structure of modern society itself, as the two have become so tightly linked that our society is now totally dependent on technology and would easily collapse tomorrow like Mr Robot if the internet went down.

As this is a forum for druggies, who by definition exist outside of social norms, I'm interested in what people here think of the various points made about not only technology's role in society but also the criticisms of mainstream morality and the foundation of society itself.

Last edited:
I only read the bolded parts.. am too tired and s toned atm... but maybe this evening i'll finish. I found the ideas very interesting and relatable. It seems to me that with the advancements of technology, our reliance on social connections- real societies of connected people with shared culture, not groups of isolated individuals, consistently decreases. In essence, our reliance on the benefits of technology often separate us from the thing that gives our lives the most meaning- human connection. I tend to gravitate toward online communities because most of the social groups in my area are either religious or alcohol centered. I know there are others, with everyone spending the bulk of their time and focus at their job, it really makes connection difficult in modern industrialized society.

I only read the bolded parts.. am too tired and s toned atm... but maybe this evening i'll finish. I found the ideas very interesting and relatable. It seems to me that with the advancements of technology, our reliance on social connections- real societies of connected people with shared culture, not groups of isolated individuals, consistently decreases. In essence, our reliance on the benefits of technology often separate us from the thing that gives our lives the most meaning- human connection. I tend to gravitate toward online communities because most of the social groups in my area are either religious or alcohol centered. I know there are others, with everyone spending the bulk of their time and focus at their job, it really makes connection difficult in modern industrialized society.

Exactly right. That's one of the main points put forward. The increase in technology has lead to a breakdown of small communities, and small communities are how humans lived in most of history. Additionally, it's now impossible for small communities to be autonomous, because they still rely on technology which is controlled by the government and corporations.

I have to say this is more or less true. There's data showing people feel more lonely compared to even just a few decades ago. No way that large cities where no one knows each other, combined with over-reliance on social media for communication, has not played a significant role in this.

Another point which I didn't go into more detail about in the OP is that we're taking people who are unable to adjust to modern society and calling them mentally ill. A top example of this is schizoid personality disorder, which if you read about it, can be boiled down to "doesn't conform to society." It's classed as a disorder purely because people diagnosed with it tend to not earn a lot of money or obtain social status. Apparently that is enough to make you mentally ill. And of course we just throw antidepressants at everyone nowadays, which dull you and your emotional state.

Summed up well in this quote:

"Our society tends to regard as a “sickness” any mode of thought or behavior that is inconvenient for the system, and this is plausible because when an individual doesn’t fit into the system it causes pain to the individual as well as problems for the system. Thus the manipulation of an individual to adjust him to the system is seen as a “cure” for a “sickness” and therefore as good."

Yes Gen Z is odd to me but I am a late Gen X'er. The industrial revolutions, both of them, ended by the start of the first World War.

How did you find him @Wilson Wilson?

I saw this thing on Netflix about him. Manhunt: Unabomber. In that show the FBI agent they follow has sympathy for his views after reading the manifesto and there was a whole episode showing his childhood, Harvard, the mind control experiment, etc. So it got me interested in how much was fact and fiction in the show, I did some reading into him and I read the manifesto. I also learned that the depiction of that experiment was dead on and that Murray cunt actually did work for the OSS which became the CIA so it very likely had MKULTRA ties. Kinda mad that the CIA may have very well inadvertently created the Unabomber.

As I read the manifesto I could only think that most of what he wrote is either already coming true or will likely become true in the near future. His actions aside, the bloke was clearly smart and his ideology is very logical and sane. He could have easily been a philosopher. And if you take his ideas separate from his actions I don't think they are at all radical either. No more radical than ideas of Orwell, Huxley, or Nietzsche to name a few.

Which books and PDFs do you have?

Everything his ever put out.

Why do you admire him?

Read his work, learn about his life & then ask me again.

I remember when he was captured and how he murdered people as the Unabomber.

"One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" - Pentti Linkola.

I assume you admire Nelson Mandela for his actions in South Africia? You know he got bombs off the IRA & killed people too for a cause.

As I read the manifesto I could only think that most of what he wrote is either already coming true or will likely become true in the near future. His actions aside, the bloke was clearly smart and his ideology is very logical and sane. He could have easily been a philosopher. And if you take his ideas separate from his actions I don't think they are at all radical either. No more radical than ideas of Orwell, Huxley, or Nietzsche to name a few.

Never a more true thing I've read on BL that what is right there.

Everything his ever put out.

Read his work, learn about his life & then ask me again.

"One mans terrorist is another mans freedom fighter" - Pentti Linkola.

I assume you admire Nelson Mandela for his actions in South Africia? You know he got bombs off the IRA & killed people too for a cause.
Actually no I do not admire Nelson Mandela or his wife Winnie as they both tortured and murdered people. I am not really into any political figures, but if other people want to admire them or praise them, that is their choice.

I'm familiar with his ideology...when you're someone with left-wing politics (as I am, although my positions have "mellowed" as I've gotten a bit older), you sometimes come across the primitivist position as a critique of left-wing politics and thought (and against modernism more generally, which many schools of thought within the left, like Marxism, are traditionally a part of) as articulated by people like him, Zerzan, Camatte, etc.

I've never really found it convincing, personally. From a standpoint of evolutionary biology or anthropology, yes, you can definitely make the case that the VAST MAJORITY of human experience on earth has taken place within the context of band society, very small groups of people who subsist by hunting/gathering, etc. That's the context in which human minds were forged over a period of 100,000's of years. The development of sedentary society is a relatively recent development...and the development of industrial society is an EVEN MORE recent development, and a radical experiment to be sure. But primitivism to me has always seemed like just another iteration of "reactionary" ideology, one that idealizes a lost past and essential state of nature that humanity has deviated from with sedentary society and industry/technology...I've also never really been a fan of the influence of post-modernism on primitivism as an ideology...people like Zerzan had formulative political developments during the "new left" of the 60s/70s and especially the Situationists in France, and I was never really able to get into stuff like "Society of the Spectacle" etc.

I've never really found it convincing, personally. From a standpoint of evolutionary biology or anthropology, yes, you can definitely make the case that the VAST MAJORITY of human experience on earth has taken place within the context of band society, very small groups of people who subsist by hunting/gathering, etc. That's the context in which human minds were forged over a period of 100,000's of years. The development of sedentary society is a relatively recent development...and the development of industrial society is an EVEN MORE recent development, and a radical experiment to be sure. But primitivism to me has always seemed like just another iteration of "reactionary" ideology, one that idealizes a lost past and essential state of nature that humanity has deviated from with sedentary society and industry/technology...I've also never really been a fan of the influence of post-modernism on primitivism as an ideology...people like Zerzan had formulative political developments during the "new left" of the 60s/70s and especially the Situationists in France, and I was never really able to get into stuff like "Society of the Spectacle" etc.

I actually agree with the criticism that it's romanticising the past and looking at it through rose tinted glasses. There's a lot of ideals that effectively do this with different periods throughout history. That's why I say I don't really agree to the all or nothing approach he takes. I think he is certainly right that to be a member of modern society you must give up freedoms. But I then think most individuals find that compromise fair. I have concerns about the extent to which the state wishes to control our private lives, but I think ending society is kinda throwing the baby out with the bath water as far as solutions go.

I also have a good place in this society since I'm naturally good at computers. I doubt I'm very good at hunting with spears.

However ultimately there are still many valid criticisms in these ideas. Just today I was chatting to a mate of mine and he brought up the fact that we don't really have a sense of community anymore. I said yeah, because the way we live in the modern world is very disconnected, we live in huge groups where we don't know anyone and communicate through the internet, and social media is degrading our social skills because we become reliant on it to talk to each other, and given all this I'm not shocked that the generation growing up with iPads in their hands has sky high depression rates. He just agreed with all of that because it's actually pretty obvious and uncontroversial.

You don't have to agree with the conclusions (destroy all technology and go back to "wild nature") to accept there are perfectly valid criticisms in the philosophy. Our super advanced modern society has downsides as well as upsides. Most people would agree. I honestly don't see these as radical ideas.

Regarding what he says about leftists... to be honest I find it hard to disagree with that too. I see articles about "sexist air conditioning" and I think yeah this about sums up the age we live in now:

"If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss."

@Burnt Offerings @Wilson Wilson
You heard of Pentti Linkola before or fans of his works?

"The most central and irrational faith among people is the faith in technology and economical growth. Its priests believe until their death that material prosperity bring enjoyment and happiness - even though all the proofs in history have shown that only lack and attempt cause a life worth living, that the material prosperity doesn't bring anything else than despair. These priests believe in technology still when they choke in their gas masks." -- Pentti Linkola

"A fundamental, devastating error is to set up a political system based on desire. Society and life are been organized on basis of what an individual wants, not on what is good for him or her...Just as only one out of 100,000 has the talent to be an engineer or an acrobat, only a few are those truly capable of managing the matters of a nation or mankind as a whole...In this time and this part of the World we are headlessly hanging on democracy and parliamentary system, even though these are the most mindless and desperate experiments of the mankind...In democratic coutries the destruction of nature and sum of ecological disasters has accumulated most...Our only hope lies in strong central government and uncompromizing control of the individual citizen." -- Pentti Linkola

Ah yes, Pentti Linkola, the "eco-Stalinist" lol

I'm not really a fan of his but I'm somewhat familiar with his belief system. He and I share the same trade, too...here's to crazy fishermen! Lol

Derrick Jensen was another popular figure among the anti-civ folks

I actually agree with the criticism that it's romanticising the past and looking at it through rose tinted glasses. There's a lot of ideals that effectively do this with different periods throughout history. That's why I say I don't really agree to the all or nothing approach he takes. I think he is certainly right that to be a member of modern society you must give up freedoms. But I then think most individuals find that compromise fair. I have concerns about the extent to which the state wishes to control our private lives, but I think ending society is kinda throwing the baby out with the bath water as far as solutions go.

I also have a good place in this society since I'm naturally good at computers. I doubt I'm very good at hunting with spears.

However ultimately there are still many valid criticisms in these ideas. Just today I was chatting to a mate of mine and he brought up the fact that we don't really have a sense of community anymore. I said yeah, because the way we live in the modern world is very disconnected, we live in huge groups where we don't know anyone and communicate through the internet, and social media is degrading our social skills because we become reliant on it to talk to each other, and given all this I'm not shocked that the generation growing up with iPads in their hands has sky high depression rates. He just agreed with all of that because it's actually pretty obvious and uncontroversial.

You don't have to agree with the conclusions (destroy all technology and go back to "wild nature") to accept there are perfectly valid criticisms in the philosophy. Our super advanced modern society has downsides as well as upsides. Most people would agree. I honestly don't see these as radical ideas.

Regarding what he says about leftists... to be honest I find it hard to disagree with that too. I see articles about "sexist air conditioning" and I think yeah this about sums up the age we live in now:

"If our society had no social problems at all, the leftists would have to INVENT problems in order to provide themselves with an excuse for making a fuss."

I mean, the primitivist criticism of the left is more complex than whatever BS controversy is prevalent at the time...at the heart of it is a criticism in the idea of "progressing" through history, going from hunter-gatherer life, to sedentary agricultural life, to industrial life, to now the post-industrial age. It's something the left often emphasizes, in Marx/Engels works regarding historical materialism and elsewhere, but it's not unique to left-wing ideology, that way of viewing history

IIRC, Kaczynski was raging mainly against the proliferation of highways and strip malls but is that still relevant in 2019? Now American infrastructure is in a catastrophic state of disrepair and there's a retail apocalypse shuttering malls across the country.

Wouldn't today's Unabomber be writing about the future of postindustrial society?

I'm confused as to what exactly the point was invoking Kaczynski when discussing topics like CCTV, AI and such...

You heard of Pentti Linkola before or fans of his works?

I haven't but just looked him up, seems his primary belief is that the population needs to decreased to deal with overpopulation. Honestly don't disagree. Even David Attenborough has come out saying the same thing.

I mean, the primitivist criticism of the left is more complex than whatever BS controversy is prevalent at the time...at the heart of it is a criticism in the idea of "progressing" through history, going from hunter-gatherer life, to sedentary agricultural life, to industrial life, to now the post-industrial age. It's something the left often emphasizes, in Marx/Engels works regarding historical materialism and elsewhere, but it's not unique to left-wing ideology, that way of viewing history

Of course it's not about whatever is trending right now, but it's representative of the overall point isn't it? The fact lefties of today are just straight up inventing shit to get enraged at makes the essay seem quite prophetic. Except honestly it's probably not, because odds are lefties were doing it back then too. We seem to think these days that SJW's are a new thing, but they've always existed. It's only recently they've been able to exist in a form that allows them access to the megaphone of social media, but they've always been around especially in academic circles.

I read every point Kaczynski made about leftist psychology and it all makes total sense. It describes every single hardcore leftie I've ever met. And I went to uni so I met loads. All of them have some type of mental illness too, not even joking, it's far too common to be a coincidence. And they speak the language of acceptance and empathy but will abuse the shit out of anyone who disagrees with them ideologically or politically. Ever spoken to a Jeremy Corbyn supporter? Most horrid group of people I've ever had the displeasure of meeting.

They cling to group identity, to the point where "identity politics" is now its own thing, because they are too weak and insecure as individuals to believe they have any power. They want society (in their case that usually means the state) to be their daddy and look after them. All of this is very very accurate.

I know you have people on the left who are more moderate and who this does not apply to, don't get me wrong, but I am thinking of the far-left types. For them this does very much apply.

The far-right of today are honestly along similar lines too. The whole "alt-right" movement is still identity politics just the other side of the coin. Same shit, different toilet.

IIRC, Kaczynski was raging mainly against the proliferation of highways and strip malls but is that still relevant in 2019? Now American infrastructure is in a catastrophic state of disrepair and there's a retail apocalypse shuttering malls across the country.

Wouldn't today's Unabomber be writing about the future of postindustrial society?

I'm confused as to what exactly the point was invoking Kaczynski when discussing topics like CCTV, AI and such...

The essay is entitled "Industrial Society and its Future."

It's safe to say we are currently a part of that future since this was written in 1995 wouldn't you agree? In fact 1995 was already a post-industrial society. The paper refers to industrial society since it looks primarily at the past and follows on with what it's lead to now and what it will lead to in the future.

Everything I quoted in my own discussion is directly relevant to what I spoke about. Kaczynski was talking about the potential for AI and how technology will be engineered to create direct control of humanity in the future - clearly these are concerns beyond industrial society of the past. Sufficiently advanced AI is still some way off but already industry leaders in tech as well as top scientists are sharing effectively the same concerns expressed here. Technology I would argue has already been developed to such a state where it has a strong level of psychological control over human society and I explained my reasoning in the OP. I could further argue that technology allowing for direct control of the human brain already exists and has done for a while, it's just a matter of willingness to use it.

He also spoke about how technology increases rates of mental illness and that this will get worse if industrial society remains and continues being developed because once technology exists we become dependent on it. This is all extremely relevant to our modern day society. Gen Z has ridiculous rates of depression and anxiety, and society has certainly become far more reliant on technology since 1995.

Do you have any arguments as to why a criticism of reliance on technology is not relevant in 2019? If anything it's far more relevant in 2019 than it was in 1995.