• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Indonesia wants to ban kratom in 2022

It’s kind of surprising the Indonesian government doesn’t want to develop kratom. Both as an export industry and as a homegrown tool for helping deal with their own significant drug problems. The culture there is very big on herbal/traditional/alternative medicinal remedies and such remedies are actually a pretty big industry.

It might be a death-for-drugs country but when I lived there the place was awash with whatever your fiending little heart desired. From home-delivered coke to nightclubs that never closed where you could order XTC over the bar and pay with your credit card. The drug trade is fairly ruthlessly controlled by the police and army and it’s mostly freelance foreigners who get the death penalty.

Just had a chat with my vendor, who has all kinds of different strains, and asked if this ban is realistic. He don't thinks that this is going through and that Indonesia has a strong pro-Kratom lobby too, so he's hopeful. If it gets criminalized, he thinks the business will migrate to Thailand and Malaysia.

Ad Storage: The active compounds in Kratom seem to be very stable. My previous guy said that, when protected, this stuff will last for years without significant decay. I agree. Had powder in half-empty (or half-full, depending on your philosophical preferences) glas jars, dark and at room temperature for over one year and it made no difference. And the remains i found recently (wrote about it in my 'hello' thread) were between 5-7 years old and in a drawer at low room temperature and still very effective. So imagine what vacuuming and freezing will do.

Just had a chat with my vendor, who has all kinds of different strains, and asked if this ban is realistic. He don't thinks that this is going through and that Indonesia has a strong pro-Kratom lobby too, so he's hopeful. If it gets criminalized, he thinks the business will migrate to Thailand and Malaysia.

Hope he's right!
The ban was initially planned for 2024 and it was rescheduled to 2022 though... I hope the lobbyists will be able to take action and prevent this (maybe they already started? I'd like to know what's happening there).

And kratom is already illegal in both Thailand and Malaysia unfortunately... I heard there is some opposition to the current law in those countries but doesn't seem strong enough right now.

Last edited:
I had heard of Betel nut as I read about it on erowid. Betel nut is legally sold where I live in South Asian stores and supermarkets. I do not buy it or use it but my south Asian friend keeps some and sometimes chews it.
One time i visited a Asian store, see a weird shop and its like a magnet.

On the counter stood some cans of betelnut. Actually a mixture with other spices. But I am curious person and bought one. Chewed fresh Cola nut's in Paris.

The actual effect's are is kinda like a huge blast of nicotin. Hard to pinpoint the difference because the ROA is so different. Had to look it up but sublingual.
Compare that with smoking which gives you lack of oxygen. Betelnut was a way cleaner high.

Last edited:
What are the thoughts of those posting in this thread about akuamma as a kratom replacement? I may have the opportunity to try akuammamine (sp?) In the not too distant future and am curious about people's experiences with it...

Might be a viable option if the ban does go through. Luckily, it seems we may have time to prepare for a possible kratopocylipse...

Please don't ban Kratom Indonesia.

It will really be a loss to mankind. Last time I had some is so long ago but there is no reason to ban this. It can be used in sustainable agriculture. Its valued and there is demand.

One time i visited a Asian store, see a weird shop and its like a magnet.

On the counter stood some cans of betelnut. Actually a mixture with other spices. But I am curious person and bought one. Chewed fresh Cola nut's in Paris.

The actual effect's are is kinda like a huge blast of nicotin. Hard to pinpoint the difference because the ROA is so different. Had to look it up but sublingual.
Compare that with smoking which gives you lack of oxygen. Betelnut was a way cleaner high.
That does not sound enjoyable to me. So it is like snuff, chewing tobacco/dip then? I have never used those nicotine products and just would very rarely smoke cigars or cigarettes-usually while partying with friends as a teen and young adult, and I would mainly smoke hash and weed instead.

Did you ever use or consume nutmeg to see what the high was like or to 'trip'?

Last edited:
That does not sound enjoyable to me. So it is like snuff, chewing tobacco/dip then? I have never used those nicotine products and just would very rarely smoke cigars or cigarettes-usually while partying with friends as a teen and young adult, and I would mainly smoke hash and weed instead.

Did you ever use or consume nutmeg to see what the high was like or to 'trip'?
The method is sublingual. If i am correct. so it must have taken a little while to come up. The taste was actually quite good and spicey. Its hard to find an actual brand that has a list of ingredient's. It was bright red orange powder.

I would wait and time my weed smoking around. This was during when i quitted Tobacco. It replaced it quite well. But the staining of the teeth with longterm use limit its use

I had the chance to use snuff tobacco. Did it wrong, snorted it like a drug and that hurts as a mf.

Everyone who wants kratom needs to stock up on kratom seeds.and it's currently legal in the u.s. so ppl there should start growing it.ffs ppl there giving you two yrs notice.start growing now.go out of your way to acqire a plant and clone that shit and replant everywhere.unlike pot it's not easily identified and spotted among other plants/trees

Have a quick question. I do take very small amounts of kratom daily but when it comes to growing do you have a good amount of knowledge with that? My question is whenever a plant is fully grown how much kratom can you actually harvest from the plant and then how long does it take before you can get more from the plant? Hope that made sense haha

Have a quick question. I do take very small amounts of kratom daily but when it comes to growing do you have a good amount of knowledge with that? My question is whenever a plant is fully grown how much kratom can you actually harvest from the plant and then how long does it take before you can get more from the plant? Hope that made sense haha

I'll let you know once I find out😉

Uncharted territory.i don't think any of us know yet.be a pioneer.find out

My God... Just when I started to think kratom was safe... This bullshit comes up. It only convinces me how much I need to get the fuck outta this country. 2020 is certainly a year for the record books as far as fucked up things going down, but now this?! When will the blows stop coming?! Fuck!!!!

My God... Just when I started to think kratom was safe... This bullshit comes up. It only convinces me how much I need to get the fuck outta this country. 2020 is certainly a year for the record books as far as fucked up things going down, but now this?! When will the blows stop coming?! Fuck!!!!

Right? It's like they want people to die from overdoses simply because we can't have that there's something on the market that makes you actually feel good. What a world we live in.

Right? It's like they want people to die from overdoses simply because we can't have that there's something on the market that makes you actually feel good. What a world we live in.
Well no. It is US the lazy bums that don't go out and protest

Yeah me too, anyone close to it doesn't think it will happen. Man, been using kratom since 2005 and people were stocking up because of a ban. lol. This is a money thing with Indonesia. And at least in the US with AKA they are even passing clean kratom acts. They have an ex congressman heading it up going into states and talking to law makers. And miracle of miracles in the US in 2016 the DEA backed off out of all the support of good people. Now I have seen it all! But yeah about 8-9 years ago customs was intercepting shipments and that confirmed by a few vendors but even that stopped after a few months. (in the US).

A threat in Indonesia has also come up over 15 years. They stopped shipping I think once until money agreements had been made within their county. Then it continued. It ill become like kava and other plants and herbs. And then we wil discover a whole host of interesing things in plants and trees as we head into the future. Then nobody will care about kratom anymore.

Just putting out some good mojo. I admit I am tired of seeing Kratom Ban on the BL header when I come here as it puts out bad mojo. I have heard it all for years and kratom alway seems to win.

Indonesia is by far the biggest producer and exporter of kratom and its government (the national narcotic agency) wants to ban it and put it in schedule 1 (meaning it's a highly addictive/dangerous substance with no medicinal value). This is supposed to happen in 2022.

Since kratom is harvested from old trees that take many years to grow I think it's pretty safe to say that it would probably disappear from the market, if the Indonesian plantations are eradicated. Also many people depend on those plantations to feed themselves and their families.

This decision might have something to do with the FDA pressuring the Indonesian government... Since they couldn't ban it in the USA (so far) they're going after the source.
As many of you know, Kratom has helped improve the quality of life of thousands, probably even millions or people all around the globe.

Is there something we can do? There has to be a solution.

Some sources:
https://www.americankratom.org/mediak/news/update-on-indonesia-their-proposed-kratom-export-ban.html
https://kratom.com/en/trending/official-kratom-will-be-banned-in-indonesia-in-2022/11-11-2019

I am Bobby and I live in Indonesia, to be precise in Pontianak where one of these kratom sources comes from

Recent news, 26 August 2020:
The Indonesian Ministry of Environment and Forestry includes kratom in the category of medicinal plants under the guidance of the Indonesian Ministry of Forestry.
link: https://pontianak.tribunnews.com/20...asukan-kratom-sebagai-tanaman-bahan-baku-obat

in this case kratom is one step forward to get its legality status in Indonesia, many activists who are part of the Indonesian government strongly support the advancement of kratom status in Indonesia, especially the governor of Pontianak himself.
the governor of west borneo, promised to carry out further research to fight for kratom as a medicinal plant in Indonesia.

This is inversely proportional to the BNN (Indonesian FDA)
they try to do the opposite. they claim and said kratom is 13 times more dangerous than heroin. this is even said without a research or documented evidence.

However, until now the status of kratom is still gray, it can be traded in the form of raw materials (powder).

Last edited by a moderator:
This is inversely proportional to the BNN (Indonesian FDA)
they try to do the opposite. they claim and said kratom is 13 times more dangerous than heroin. this is even said without a research or documented evidence.

So do you think the activists will be able to prevent it from getting banned?

I'd like to see the supposed ban getting delayed, at least, but it seems like the opposite has happened (it was originally supposed to happen in 2024).
Could this all be kind of like a publicity stunt from the BNN? They seem pretty serious though, but I don't know much about Indonesian politics.

How much power does the BNN and other anti-kratom sections have? Could they legally do it whenever they wanted or they would need to get more popular support?

Last edited by a moderator:
We now make toilet paper from trees, plastic's from oil and chemical medicine's.

These would have happened without cannabis being made illegal.

What are the thoughts of those posting in this thread about akuamma as a kratom replacement? I may have the opportunity to try akuammamine (sp?) In the not too distant future and am curious about people's experiences with it...

Akuamma seems to have some mitragynine like alkaloids in it that have balanced mu partial agonism and delta activity. Based on a cursory wikipedia search there is an alkaloid in akuamma that seems to have antipsychotic effects and it kind of looks like reserpine. Its called alstonine. Depending on how much is in the leaves this could increase the sedstion effects and have anti nasuea properties. But it could also cause more problematic cognitive impairment and anhedonia type effects typical of anti psychotics.

Who knows though, these extended indoor alkaloids certainly wear a lot of hats (yohimbine, reserpine, mitragynine, ibogaine and now more).

Last edited:
These would have happened without cannabis being made illegal.
Medicin ok I get that. But what is wrong with toiletpaper made of hemp and plastic. Which btw is biodegradable. Contrary to petrochemical plastic which imo shoud be forbidden for large scale usage. There are safer more enviromental friendly option's that are equal.