• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos In your experience are benzos worth it

How did we get onto the topic of "Are benzos recreational?" when the OP was asking are they worth it for psychological issues?

I mean I don't want to be that guy, but the bottom line is they are more addictive than oxy/heroin/fentanyl IMO (and sadly I speak from raw experience). They solve all your problems temporarily, tolerance rises quickly, they have a kindling effect and before you know it that "fuck it" voice in your head has you taking them once every 3 days, then once every other day, then every day. Then welcome to hell.

Sure you can take them occasionally but you really are playing with fire. More like a raging fire storm of doom. Forget fentanyl, benzos really are the silent epidemic.

Benzo's can be worth it for a reason.

The main thing to realize is that benzos (like almost all medication) are not a cure and being on them long-term will cause issues and in the end may make things even worse (i.e. anxiety will become worse and more severe in the long run and the benzos will become a part of this vicious circle).

I agree with ppl saying benzos give no high. The only thing IT gives you, when used recreationally, is a high risk of doing something very foolish, and amnesia ofc.
Paid my price, not Ever again

benzos can give you a high if you suffer anxiety, many times when i was in a state of total terror and anxiety and took a benzo, the ensuing relaxation felt like a high to me. the muscle relaxation effects of benzos like valium can also add to the high.

but here's the thing, there are other drugs that work for anxiety. i recommend herbs like kava, valerian, mulungu bark, chamomile and skullcap. they work really well and are so much safer than benzo. and some of them (like kava) can actually give you a high, a better high than benzos.

these are a bit more dangerous but still a better option than benzos in my opinion, GHB and phenibut also work for anxiety and are quite powerful. And there are other drugs out there too.

Given all these options, I see no reason to resort to daily benzos. Sure its ok to keep a bottle of xanax in your cupboard and take one once a month or so, but taking them daily often ends really badly. Like unbelievably badly. You can go through withdrawal for years. You cant imagine what thats like until you actually going through it. I mean why would you even consider taking something daily that could make you go through withdrawal for years when there are alternatives that don't cause that? If i had knon about kava and phenibut i would never have taken benzos.

benzos can give you a high if you suffer anxiety, many times when i was in a state of total terror and anxiety and took a benzo, the ensuing relaxation felt like a high to me. the muscle relaxation effects of benzos like valium can also add to the high.

This is an important point about what is recreational or not. Like William S Burroughs stated in Naked Lunch all pleasure is is simple relief (from something). I always think about that statement.

Me not suffering from anxiety and was curious again took 1 mg of etizolam last night and woke up later with lights on, teeth not brushed and basically passed out but I honestly only felt mildly sedated. But this class of drugs is strong for me and I really only need to take it on rare occassions. But I do know people that suffer from real bad anxiety and the drug helps. It is usually people that just got put on it. Others say they just take it and it doesn't do much anymore. But I agree with a lot of people here. Long term should be weighed with pros and cons. But far too many people use these and get addicted who don't need it and that is the last thing I would want to do with something that doesn't get me high but makes me forget and pass out.

Not even close it was like what i could imagine a sexless relationship with a girl who complains all day and will kill you if u try to break it off.

Wow, that's a great metaphor!

Benzos are no joke. You can rapidly form a dependence and the withdrawal is terror on the brain. A benzo w/d can change a person because of how drawn out and crazy it can make you feel. This is first hand experience from someone who never got euphoria from benzos and thought he was taking them within reason, only to find out his body was hooked when he tried to quit. Took me almost a full year to start feeling mostly back to baseline anxiety and insomnia.

I recommend avoiding at all costs, but if you have to do them, only use in most dire moments of anxiety despair.

-SK

My initial experiences with benzos were fun. I enjoyed getting cosy in the evening with some occasional recreational doses. I started with etizolam, then onto clonazolam, which I found amazing at first. As time went by, the buzz diminished, and I started to use diclazepam as medication for anxiety - it's been a life saver. I only use diclaz now, 1.5mg a day, and I wouldn't go back, it's changed me for the better. :)

I have social anxiety problems and benzos for me are like one of the greatest creations. I know most people dont see them that way But for some reason they have this unlock feeling in my brain. They make all my thoughts come out so easily. To feel like the weight of the world had been lifted and to feel so energetic and hopeful and to want to experience the world and live life is amazing. Benzos make me want to get out and live life. These effects are put in gear 100% percent by benzos and nonexistent without them. I dont know why other people dont react this way to them but for me they make me wanna go. Its kind of like a miracle. They feel like a key fitting into a key hole for some reason. But my current doc has me on vistaril, buspar and gabapentin which dont do shit. All it takes is one medium dose benzo to alleviate my anxiety. Its getting old.

Not as an everyday drug. They lose effectiveness really fast.

Benzodiazepines are highly effective for anxiety, but eventually they lose said efficiency and make your anxiety much worst.

The resulting addiction IS NOT worth it IMHO.

OP: words right out of my mouth. Although, I suffer more with insomnia than I do social anxiety. I did have a job for 6 years of my 4 year Xanax addiction where it helped me cope with the stress of that shit job.
Coming off the Xanax I had severe social anxiety for a couple months.

NO, benzos are not worth the insanity of benzo withdrawal. INSANITY. I went five days cold turkey off Xanax because I could not get a detox bed, ended up on seizure watch and went into psychosis from 5 nights of zero sleep. It was in combo with opiate WD, but I understand people will still hallucinate off Xanax WD.

Been clean for roughly five months and I am not looking back to Xanax. There's better ways to cope that don't come with the price of benzo addiction.

Listen to this intelligent poster...BENZOS ARE NOTHING MORE THAN A PSYCHOLOGICAL CRUTH, and when you cease use, everything that was "wrong" before is exacerbated and will ONLY get better through your own cognitive behavioral therapy.

The original poster seems like such an intelligent soul...stop while you're ahead...Don't be like me and literally die from Benz wd, take 7 years off all bentos just to return back on them and hey've done NOTHING positive....

Are benzos worth it? HELL NO, unless you can take it no more than maybe twice a week.

My doc put me on a regimen and I didn't know a thing about it. Didn't pick up refill and had a grand mal seizure, putting my jaw out of place.

I've had 5 other seizures too ALL FROM JUST TRYING TO GET OFF! Even when I was lucky to be on a smaller dose, I tapered with Valium for SIX+ MONTHS, got down to 2mg Valium (.01mg of Xanax equal, tiny tiny) and I was so sick when I saw my psych he said he's not giving me no more Valium to taper, no more anti seizure meds, and I must choose what benzo I want to be on a regimen for.

Like 2 hours later, I took a 1mg Klonopin and felt so normal for the first time in months.

Even though I did take a Klonopin, I wanted to finish this taper. I went back on 2mg Valium from extras I had and I had a grand mal seizure while driving, injuring someone and totaling two cars. I was on an overpass and was 10 feet away from landing in a river 50 feet down.

I have no problem with taking benzos if they need for panic attacks or if it's less than twice a week. Anything more than twice, don't do it! If you want, give yourself two days a week to be sedated. But give yourself several days in between. Never take even 4 daily. It's just not even worth the risk.

I almost lost my life to benzos. I suffer chronic pain from my accident and couldn't work until a month ago after some 13 months. It's really not worth it.

My mental health was far worse trying to come off benzos than it has ever been before. I did not know what anxiety was before I experienced benzo withdrawal plus I developed tremors, tics, paranoia, suicidal ideation and violent outbursts. These all subsided after a prolonged length of suffering. Using benzodiazepines long-term is pointless as you become tolerant to the effects and you have gained yourself a psychological and physical dependency. I am not saying the the drugs are useless or, far from that, I used to love the anxiolytic effects, disinhibition, relaxation and confidence they used to give me but that came at a massive price. I have been addicted to several substance in my life including heroin, cocaine, methadone, buprenorphine and alcohol but benzodiazepines did more damage to my mental health in the long-term than any other substance.

My mental health was far worse trying to come off benzos than it has ever been before. I did not know what anxiety was before I experienced benzo withdrawal...

preachhh elvis i totally had the same thing.
those rebound symptoms nearly drove me spare.

Benzo's can be worth it for a reason.

The main thing to realize is that benzos (like almost all medication) are not a cure and being on them long-term will cause issues and in the end may make things even worse (i.e. anxiety will become worse and more severe in the long run and the benzos will become a part of this vicious circle).

exactly

Benzo's have been worth it for me but I've never abused or had a dependence on them and take them in conjunction with other meds and see a doctor and therapist regularly.

Benzo's are good for two nights or so, when you are sleep deprived and nothing else. They are just for that "vacation" feeling and not really recreational on their own. I was addicted to benzo's for a couple years and while they were fun, using them in any other way then what the doctor has prescribed is not a good move with the long withdrawals. I use them now twice every six months.

i think its different for everyone. This is VERY DANGEROUS but mixing xanax or another benzo with a moderate dose of opiates or a few drinks of alcohol, and youll feel like your in heaven if your someone who likes downers alot more then uppers. but once again-PLEASE TAKE BOTH IN MODERATION. my ex'sblittle sister died from a bar or 2, percocets and a four loko. Very tragic. but if you're looking to get the most out of benzodiazepines, that's how it's done

when i was an iv heroin addict, my daily dose of dope woth half a bar/ full bar, would give me a nod like nothing ive experianced. pure bliss

Nope, not even close. They're great for occasional use for severe anxiety/panic, but they simply aren't safe to take daily for long periods. Doctors prescribe them that way, but there are some huge health consequences that come with it. Unless you have a seizure disorder that absolutely requires frequent benzo use, I would never recommend anyone start taking them often.

For me, the beneficial effects went away faster than with any other drug. They were replaced with rebound anxiety, soul-crushing depression and cognitive impairment from Hell. My bowels shut down essentially; my menstrual pain grew much worse. I gained 35 lbs I still can't lose & lost my sex drive completely. I abused etizolam for 10 months and suffered 2.5 years of withdrawal/rebound symptoms. That's abnormally long, but protracted withdrawal is definitely a thing for some people.

I won't even get into my withdrawal symptoms, but I sum it up as the single worst experience of my life. I still have no sex drive and can't sleep without a sleep aid like Benadryl. Not even for a few minutes. I began jerking awake violently every few seconds the first night of withdrawal and that symptom is still present nearly 4 years later. (Will be 4 years in September). I have to believe it's a permanent effect after this long. My cats know not to sleep near me because I've kicked them in my sleep so many times :(

So yeah, not worth it here. Occasional use is fine though.