• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos In your experience are benzos worth it

I have been taking benzo's for some time and need them for my anxiety and agitated states of my PTSD. I feel they are more effective than any BS antidepressant meds which could be an alternative. Seroquel is another often prescribed med to us Vets, but that is a whole diffrent medication, great in lower doses for sleep. There are obvious risks with Klonopin, but the whole anti-depressant medications and changing the chemical make up of your brain is rather disturbing. Klonopin has been a life saver to me OP, the other meds make me sick and screw up my liver and kidneys. I guess you have to pick your poison. I know people who were able to go on and off Klonopin for a month or two at a time and were able stop for good, other Vets I know just self medicate with alcohol. Good luck.

i've always had bad insomnia but i snapped once about five years back and was put on valium by a doctor after 5/6 days of no sleep.
got taken off them 2ish months later and spent the next 5 days awake, sweating , screaming and eventually having a fit.

when used properly, they can be lifesavers.
when used CONSTANTLY, they can kill you.

use only when you've explored all other avenues - and sparingly if you have to.
addiction to benzos makes anxiety worse, oh, and then there's the seizures if you're really lucky.

tl;dr, short-term (panic attacks etc.) fantastic: long-term/dependence (have a Valium with your morning coffee) is life-threatening and all rpund shit.

imo they are a double sided sword. I myself am actually on the autism spectrum, only level 1 which is high functioning but still it beats me the best of days. Looking people in the eye is physically uncomfortable for me, don't think my thoughts are worth sharing & can be slightly awkward at times. Thats when a friend of mine gave me half a bar of xanax, mind you, this kid is now totally addicted. Utter dead shit.

But at the time we were brothers and I couldn't believe this new class of drugs I had discovered from him. Then came the worst time of my life, I started eating benzos non stop & it happened so quick. All of a sudden it went from a monthly thing to an every day type of thing. The experiences benzos gave me at the time were great, I mean I could finally look people in the eye, was not nervous, could talk in a clear tone and everything just felt right... but with ups, comes downs. I will cut the story short but I was 19 at this time and just moved out from my parents into my own place which was my downfall. During this period I wrote off 2 cars, was hospitalized twice, bashed by this so called friend once for no reason other then he was out of his mind on xanax. There was even a time when I ran straight through my glass doors and then laughed about it. Then came the complete shit kicking this fuck gave me after another one of his benzo blackouts because I was wearing his hat. Him and another friend stomped me on concrete so bad I generally thought they were going to kill me (over a fucking hat wtf). Although I am glad this happened as I have fucked this group of friends off and with that havent touched a benzo in 2 months. They make you do shit you normally wouldn't do.

I am not saying they cant be used responsibly because 100% they can, but tred very lightly with benzos, they will be your best friend then your worst enemy.

I am completely and utterly worthless to society without benzos and opiates. When I have them I can have a great career and a decent life.

Yeah, there are side effects especially memory loss with benzos. You have to decide if it's worth it for you. I have extreme anxiety to the point of daily relentless panic attacks, and chronic pain to the point that I can't stand on my feet for more than a few minutes without an opiate. So, I use heroin and klonopin and get on with my life. My job is more technical, I don't really need a good memory for anything I do. I will be on benzos and opiates for the rest of my life.

I am completely and utterly worthless to society without benzos and opiates. When I have them I can have a great career and a decent life.

Yeah, there are side effects especially memory loss with benzos. You have to decide if it's worth it for you. I have extreme anxiety to the point of daily relentless panic attacks, and chronic pain to the point that I can't stand on my feet for more than a few minutes without an opiate. So, I use heroin and klonopin and get on with my life. My job is more technical, I don't really need a good memory for anything I do. I will be on benzos and opiates for the rest of my life.

Have you tried other paths and or substances to retain the life you want?

It was a really long road to get where I am. I suffered tremendously and was ready to die when I first tried heroin, and accepted that I would want it all the time before I tried it. Yeah... I did try a lot of other things. Too many to name. They only made things worse or didn't work. I'm content with where I am right now, so long as I have the two drugs I mentioned and a job to pay for them. It is the only way I have ever found inner peace. I don't think I would be here writing this, if I didn't have my heroin fix to look forward to in a few hours. It has been a long wait and I just slashed my arm with scissors all over. So... I need the drugs. It's not perfect, but for the first time I'm in between jobs and can't afford to be well all the time. It is absolute hell. If I don't have heroin I just don't give a fuck. I stare at a wall until I get it again. I was like that before I started using too... just totally dissociated from reality. And I have always self harmed as I have BPD, but I never do when I have my fix.

That's like a vacation. The occasional valium or xanax can be very nice. In times of great stress, or special times for super relaxation. Beyond that, unless someone had a serious anxiety issue, I'd avoid them for constant fun.

I agree. But if you suffer from any sort of chronic mental schizo type illness which can have brief but severe psychotic breaks or episodes a week or two on Valium in a hospital setting while tweeking long term meds can be a real life saver.

My personal experience... Absolutely not. As a frequent IV (cocaine/heroin) I will never ever take a benzo again willingly. I think they are one of the worst over prescribed pharmas availible on the market, and I have seen them destroy more lives than both cocaine and heroin combined. Again this is my personal experience but theres 2 things I do not fuck with and its Meth and Benzos. If i had to do one, meth all day long.

All that being said I was in a relationship with my ex for many years and she had severe anxiety and I have seen them work when used properly (almost always abused). I can see there value but the nature of the drug and tolerence its very hard to not become dependent very quickly. I do not in any way shape or form think anyone should ever do benzos.

Like any other medication, benzos have their side effects (far more in their case than many other medications). Dependency is obviously a big one. Whether or not taking a dose of something like clonazepam daily for an extended period of time should only be considered in the light of a cost-benefit analysis. Does the benefits of using the medication outweighs the costs related to having to deal with dependency, to name only one issue?

IMO the need generally would have to be very significant to make taking them for an extended period of time worth it.

Saved my life. I wouldn't buy them on the streets though, if you run out you can have a seizure and die. Alcohol and benzos are the only two drugs where the withdrawals can literally kill you. So yeah, for me it worked wonders, but I get my script from a doctor and try not to abuse it.

@ up opioids can kill you the same way

in my opinion benzos are not worth using recreationally, espacially when mixing with alcohol, I have so very bad "memories" after eating much xanax
being just a benzo-rookie, drinking beers on it later on.

i lost my documents, wallet and weed (i thought it would be cool to score some just after eating 4mg of xanax and having some beer; last thing i remember is scoring it, then BLACKOUT, i woke up next to my front door, all in bruises and all not remembering a thing)

so basically, don't do benzo unless your doctor gave it to you.
just my opinion

I've been scripted benzos for sleep (temazepam, triazolam) and for tapers (diazepam, clonazolam) and went through a phase of 'lself-medicating' or recklessly using a range of RC benzos (phenazepam, clonazolam, flubromazolam, etizolam etc) and in my opinion, they're really not worth it.
I got rebound anxiety from some of my earlier RC benzo experiences - anxiety far more acute and intense than the anxiety i was using benzos to deal with in the first place.
Also, for sleep, they're only effective in the short term. Eventually tolerance builds and they do nothing.
They absolutely ravaged my memory - there are great chunks of my life i literally cannot remember. I found photos on my phone at one point of events i have no memory of. Pictures of a workmate's baby that i have no recollection of meeting.
Fucking disturbing..

This. So much this^

My mental health problem is this: Phobia of not being able to sleep = self-fulfilling prophecy = a few days on 3 hours of sleep makes me feel like I am losing my mind and I get severely depressed, which makes anxiety worse, which makes insomnia even worse. And it's a downward spiral from there.

I self-medicated with the RC Benzos before the blanket ban took effect here. Etizolam, flubromazolam etc and finally it was Clonazolam that got me completely hooked. Thought I could get away tapering with diclazepam myself but it didn't work and ended up me going into a rage and smashing my room up after I got into an argument.
Then I went to the doctor the next day and admitted I had a problem.

That was over a year ago, and i've been trying to get off diazepam ever since. I got down to 2mg at more than one point, but relapsed, and then got into hard opiates. So ended up with a dual opiate-benzo addiction.
The hard opiates were a walk in the park compared to diazepam. 5 days of misery and flu and it's pretty much over (unless you get PAWS, but still...It's infinitely easier than benzos) with opiates. Not so with benzos. I am now happy to say I am down to 9mg reducing 1mg a week, but it's actually caused (or bought out) anxiety and depression, and my insomnia came back with an absolute vengeance: There were times I thought I was going insane from sleep deprivation and in the end just asked for Amiltriptyline which has worked wonders for my insomnia, the shakes, the upset stomach that occur with benzo WDs. Also has helped with the aches and pains. I think it's mentioned in the Ashton Manual to relieve many of the symptoms of benzo withdrawals.
Of course I will need to taper that too, but with only 2 months left in my diazepam taper I can probably get away with a faster taper, and it's nowhere near as bad as benzo WDs. No grand mal seizures for a start.

If you are going to delve into benzos, then ask for a restricted prescription where you can only pick up x2 doses per week. Anymore and you most likely will get addicted due to the tolerance issues and rebound symptoms you get when you stop them. Honestly, benzos actually cause far more problems than they solve in the long-term (after 2 weeks of consistently taking).

Really try out taking therapies, CBT, exercise, tweaking your diet, meditation etc. If you have really tried all that then yes, it's time to try meds IMO. But i'd actually go for an old-skool anti-depressant that is sedating, over benzos any day. APs are technically addictive in that you have to taper them, but it's not as bad as benzos. Of course YMMV big time. I had a terrible action to Mirtazapine that supposedly is the latest SRNI on the market with the least side effects, it did nothing for my insomnia after 3 weeks and just made me feel suicidal. So it's funny that an anti-depressant that was developed in 1961 works infinitely better for me lol
Plus with benzos I have also noticed my memory is absolutely fudged and I look back at photos from 3 months ago and can't remember them ever been taking. It's really disturbing.

F'loki

Well..in my personal opinion I think they're definitely worth it when you really really need something for instant relief from horrible horrible, anxiety/panic attacks prn. once or if taken everyday not only is one likely to come tolerant and need a higher and higher dose after a certain amount of time, but in my experience when i was constantly taking them though i guess my body chemistry is the type where i really even after constant benzo scrips/use for almost 2 years never needed to raise my dose as well as i stopped cold turkey from time to time (either was usually prescribed valium or ativan) and really aside from anxiety no horrible withdrawal. though, even with that being said i was totally erratic, my inhibitions were just so low and i made a fool out of myself from time to time and started pushing so many relationships and friends away. did i maybe sometimes overdo it? yes definitely however for the most part just 2mg of ativan twice a day or 10mg of valium twice a day so FOR ME even at doses not to hefty it totally wasn't worth it for me in addition to the fact that for anxiety disorders of course they're gonna work, their cns depressants but then like what happened to me, i started to fade away and years went by where i couldn't work on my anxiety do to the fact i didn't have any from being doped up. now i take valium truly as needed prn and in this instance i think its worth it. some people are on them constantly though and there life is doing really well, others not so much its really different for everyone. something only you can decide. that was just my experience.

Personally Ive only enjoyed them in recreation. I got ZERO anxiety relief from the prescribed .5mgx3/day just loopy and lethargic. Wanted me to up the dosage but I knew Id just abuse em. So I stopped using em.

A 2mg bar, a couple of beers, and some cannabis is blissful tho

Edit: If you ever get legit panic attacks, its good to a have a script or source for this.

Benzo are retrospectively worth it.
You get nothing from the high : in fact, you remember nothing.
After the high, you can be high from laughing from bs you have done while high (told by a sober third part), or be dead, or cry in front of a criminal record...

Seriously benzo is one of the most useless drug Ive tried, and worst, the dishinibition always end to make myself lose a good amount of money and losing uselessly some drugs stash (generally overdosing on psychedelic because making the dumb decision to be in hyperspace with no anxiety but ultimately blacking out and ressucitate with 30+h 5ht2a hallucination but after the real trip. Happenned 2 time, very dumb from myself.)

The high/euphoria of short acting euphoric benzo (like xanax) with no tolerance can be somewhat interesting for the two first hours, before you pass out. You can't get the good high if you take them more than 2 or 3 days in a row (same for low dose, I don't really understand benzo addict, aside for being anxiety free. But being always dishinibited have its danger). That's the only interesting stuff Ive found in benzo, but not to the extend of taking them often.

I took zopiclone too, was fucked like never for 30+ hours with a 16 hours blackout. I even experienced almost no hallucination. Normal dose of zopi aren't that euphoric. Not interesting.

Mmhhh... I tested zolpidem too but I don't remember really what hapenned, I don't think it was exceptionnal.

Binging on long acting benzo (taking a complete boxe in 2 or 3 days) generally left you with a kind of withdrawal at the end.

One time I was a bit fucked up on lysanxia + suboxone, this high was great, I was having internal hallucination and was able to stay awake (with some difficulty).

In all Ive tested some benzo/Z drugs, and they don't interest me anymore, Ive not found a point into them.

Last edited:
Benzos are great for the occasional high, probably no more than 3 or 4 days then a break. Back in the early 70s I had a three day rule for heroin or anything addicting. It always worked for me.
Now, benzos for regular use. Absolutely NOT. Klonopin is harder to got off of than heroin... it will kill your short term memory and overall is NOT worth it, in fact long term use is just a terrible idea. Don't believe me go read some over at benzobuddies.com
Klonopin is particularly bad because it has a halflufe of 30-40 hours. Xanax is much shorter acting and would be easier to get off but these things change your production of brain chemicals and you'll go through literal hell getting off if you're on them for months.
The best are the old ones, the blue 10mg Valium or Tranxene. Of course I once ended up in jail because of them, casual use too! I had some of both Valium and Tranxene. Being young and rebellious I came upon something I found to be unacceptable. At a local parking lot (small town) where people would cruise and park, meet up and talk the owner had put two posts and a chain across an entrance. WELL, no ok! I pulled my Chevk pickup up to the chain and got it across the front bumper. I got back in and hit the gas... the chain slipped up over the bumper sticking fast between the fender and bumper. The post on the right side came flying out of the ground, cement and all slamming into my passenger side door making a huge dent. When the police showed up I didn't even know they were there, I was busy pulling on the chain when I was tapped on the shoulder. There was most of a joint laying in the front seat. I was not charged with that as long as I didn't contest whatever they charged me with, DUI or something though my blood alcohol level was like none, lol. Thankfully they did not search me but handcuffed my hands behind my back and put me in back of the problem lice car. I was young, small, and limber.. well, I was 27yo. As soon as they put me in the backseat I slipped the cuffs around and got the rest of the Valium and Tranxene out of my sock. It was in a cigarette pack cellophane. I ate them all. I don't remember how many but maybe 4-5 Valium and 2-3 Tranxene. By the time we got to the station I was weaving from wall to wall walking... and they have some wide hallways! I don't remember much else. I got 10 weekends in jail but thankfully they didn't bring up the joint... those days you'd do some time for a joint if they wanted to push it.
SO... be careful with them and whatever you do... don't become dependent on them!! You'll be sore if you do.
I am on Klonopin now because I had a headache every day for two years.. the Klonopin stopped the headaches most of the time. About once a month or so I get one and have to take about .75mg if Xanax on top of them. My right eyeball hurts, the blood vessel on my right temple gets hard and sticks out, and the muscle at the right base of my skull knots up, misery. Happened yesterday.
My dose of Klonopin is 1mg twice a day. I tried titration of my dose. I dropped 1/4 on one tablet for two weeks, that went ok. Then I dropped another 1/4 tablet for 15 days. On the 15th day my WHOLE upper back and neck went into muscle spasms, from below my shoulder blades to the top of my neck. I took a Klonopin and within 30 minutes it went away.
You are playing with fire.. don't get burned. They WILL allow you to do stupid stuff and if you take them regular, you'll be sorry! Hope this helps!

Not even close it was like what i could imagine a sexless relationship with a girl who complains all day and will kill you if u try to break it off.

Not even close it was like what i could imagine a sexless relationship with a girl who complains all day and will kill you if u try to break it off.

that santence give me tickle in benis

I agree with ppl saying benzos give no high. The only thing IT gives you, when used recreationally, is a high risk of doing something very foolish, and amnesia ofc.
Paid my price, not Ever again