• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos In your experience are benzos worth it

AvenaSativa

Bluelighter
I trust people taking medication far more than I do the doctors prescribing it.

I never had a script, but a methhead once sold me 20 1mg klonopin for <snip> (once in a lifetime deal right there.)

By the time I ran out my anxiety was worse, knowing that I had to go back to spending <snip> for a xanax. I was in a very abusive environment at the time and I needed this medication, it's a shame I had to buy it off the streets.

Now I'm no longer in that environment but I still have general anxiety and severe social anxiety. I landed my first job on a klonopin, up until then I couldn't go to an interview without shaking and sweating.

I feel that I could function in society if I had a prescription, but I will admit that benzos seem to make me weaker at coping with anxiety when I can't find or afford any.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a script for ativan 1mg prn 8hrs it helps me a fair deal, I took one yesterday, first time in 6 days but that's because I was on shards and thought it would feel nice to mellow out. Towards the end of my stay at creekside behavioral health facility, a lockdown mental hospital I spent more than a year at, I was taking at least one a day, I can honestly say the help it gave me for my anxiety and the relief though not major, it gave me from sobriety made ativan a medicnation that saved me from psychosis as much as it did anxiety, especially in those final pivotal months at. Creekside

That's like a vacation. The occasional valium or xanax can be very nice. In times of great stress, or special times for super relaxation. Beyond that, unless someone had a serious anxiety issue, I'd avoid them for constant fun.

Withdraw from benzos can cause seizures I have em if i dont take my Klonopin, 6 years of hell. I know my answer isnt very clear im tired. I'd be happy to answer any question you have about them (6 years 6mg a day and ive been prescribed every benzo I know except rohypnol)

I've been scripted benzos for sleep (temazepam, triazolam) and for tapers (diazepam, clonazolam) and went through a phase of 'lself-medicating' or recklessly using a range of RC benzos (phenazepam, clonazolam, flubromazolam, etizolam etc) and in my opinion, they're really not worth it.
I got rebound anxiety from some of my earlier RC benzo experiences - anxiety far more acute and intense than the anxiety i was using benzos to deal with in the first place.
Also, for sleep, they're only effective in the short term. Eventually tolerance builds and they do nothing.
They absolutely ravaged my memory - there are great chunks of my life i literally cannot remember. I found photos on my phone at one point of events i have no memory of. Pictures of a workmate's baby that i have no recollection of meeting.
Fucking disturbing.

And yeah, when i was taking a lot of flubromazolam, i forgot to take a dose (or something like that) and had a couple of really nasty seizures, spent 3 weeks in hospital.
My case is in the extreme end of the spectrum, but honestly i think benzos are a problematic class of drugs.
Some of the research in recent years implicating long term use of benzos with dementia also freaked me out a bit. I'm really glad i stopped taking them; it's nice to be able to form memories again.

I have never gotten any high or euphoria from Benzos because lethargy is all I feel after taking them. I get a very slight short-acting dizziness from Clonazepam but it doesn't last longer than 30 mins and I feel sleepy after that. No matter what I do, I can't keep myself up after taking any Benzo. Sorry to say this but I hate any substance that makes me tired, sleepy and unmotivated.

They're good for anxiety, and occasionally sleep - but yeah, i agree they're not recreational drugs.
I tried - oh, how i tried - to get kicks from benzos, but they're really not that fun.

I have a related question. How do you guys feel about infrequent use of low dose benzos over a long period of time? Like 0.5 mg clonazepam twice a week for years?

OP: No.

There can be times that there is value in the relief of an impending sense of doom. Saving a soul from a bad trip. etc.

Overall, I don't like them and don't think they are all that necessary.

I have a related question. How do you guys feel about infrequent use of low dose benzos over a long period of time? Like 0.5 mg clonazepam twice a week for years?

You may get a very slight buzz from 0.5mg of Clonazepam, as long as your tolerance to this drug is low.

I suspect if that is effective for someone, and it works for whatever they're using it for, then great.
I'd just really encourage people to stay away from RC benzos with crazy halflives and side effects - and be careful not to push the dosing into habituation territory (i taking more than 3 consecutive days is considered risky if i recall correctly.
Benzo withdrawals can really sneak up on people. A bluelighter i know had seizures from benzos without realising they were even physically dependent on them.
But assuming you have taken them for years, and they've ccaused no problems - if it works for you, and you're not going crazy with 'em - that's cool.
I just know that i don't need benzos in my life...but for some people they're highly effective and helpful. Each to their own :)

Valium was the first Benzo I ever abused. It was a very huge mistake to take 12mg of this drug at office, which made me feel very lethargic during work.
I admit I enjoy blacking out on high doses of XanaX, yet I can't overcome the sleepiness caused by this medicine.

Xanax does wonders for people that need it. It has helped me with my anxiety and minor panic attacks and it also brings my mood up (helps with depression), but stopping taking Xanax (or any Benzo in this case) isn't easy and it should be remembered that everybody has "different" side effects leading to different adverse physical and mental changes. Don't buy these pills off the streets. See a physician if you think you actually need this medication to "function in society"

Just Be Careful,

Sav

OP: words right out of my mouth. Although, I suffer more with insomnia than I do social anxiety. I did have a job for 6 years of my 4 year Xanax addiction where it helped me cope with the stress of that shit job.
Coming off the Xanax I had severe social anxiety for a couple months.

NO, benzos are not worth the insanity of benzo withdrawal. INSANITY. I went five days cold turkey off Xanax because I could not get a detox bed, ended up on seizure watch and went into psychosis from 5 nights of zero sleep. It was in combo with opiate WD, but I understand people will still hallucinate off Xanax WD.

Been clean for roughly five months and I am not looking back to Xanax. There's better ways to cope that don't come with the price of benzo addiction.

Benzos follow the law of diminishing returns for me. Fantastic medicine for acute anxiety, a blessing during opiate or alcohol withdrawls. But for recreation they we're fun for the first couple of doses and after the novelty of the experience became common place their just wasn't any 'fun' left in them

No, no, no. I was first prescribed them for anxiety - just 7.5mg of Valium, I ended up taking the whole bottle in the first couple of days. I either liked them or they didn't do much at all. Ended up on half a gram a day (or equivalent of xanax/lorazepam/temazepam) and have been through a few withdrawals which were worse than any other drug I've ever done -PLUS the anxiety comes back 5000 times worse. I only take them now so I don't get withdrawals , they do nothing anymore, not even at high doses way over what I'm prescribed.

NOT worth it IMO

I don't find benzodiazepines recreational at all by themselves...

I use benzodiazepines to potentiate my opiates, and sometimes for sleep.

The only way I see benzodiazepines 'worth it' is if you're a big time opiate addict with a huge tolerance like myself, because you can use less of your opiate of choice and feel even better than doing your opiate of choice by itself. *Note that mixing opiates with benzodiazepines is extremely dangerous*

Also, like stated above, if you have severe insomnia, and non-benzodiazepine medications don't cut it for you, then benzodiazepines can be worth it in this case also.

But overall, no, I don't think they're worth it.
they come with deadly withdrawal symptoms, for something that's not even euphoric IMO.

They are worth it if used in a truly needed fashion. They are very valuable to have on hand, esp. For emergency break downs or scary panic attacks. Secondly, if your using other drugs, benzos can truly be a godsend , esp. If your banging cocaine or smoking or doing meth, I'm sure taking a Xanax to avoid possible overdose has some truth to it. Perfect for comedowns with amps, cocaine.
As far as abusing them, I feel it lacks recreational value by far. When I was younger, popping Xanax and blacking out, and doing embarrassingly stupid things did not appeal to me at all. Not to mention the disgusting powerful physical dependency. When used sparingly and legitability, they are very useful and unique tools.