• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Impulse Relapser

bulldog99

Greenlighter
I know I have to have more discipline but I am an impulsive relapser. I've gotten as far as 28 days clean of oxy use. Than one day I wake up and its the worst in the morning when the desire to take is very strong. I don't think of the consequences but just give myself some excuse to take a dose of oxy. Any good advice to deal with those moments when the desire to use is very strong.

Try to find something that occupies your mind to get your thinking changed. It's called stinking thinking. Go get something to eat. Try exercising or taking a shower. They both release dopamine. Maybe smoke some pot. Have sex. Just something to make the thoughts pass. Even if u gotta do it multiple times a day.

well done for recognising this pattern, thats more than half the battle.

can you replay the tape when you feel like that? like take it past the using feeling good to the consequences? cos presumably the consequences are what made you want to stop? @Pinkbeam's advice is also good, sometime syou just need distraction distraction distraction. and don't believe the bollocks they say in NA and such about a craving lasting only 5 minutes, i've had them last 3 days, and still not used. it was hell tbh, but i'd never have got into long term recovery without getting through them.

are you getting any psychological help for your problems? drugs are doing something for you, there is some need inside you somewhere, and you should try to find out what that is and work out how to address it in a less self destructive manner.

I have a prescription for Oxys but I also recognize that I have a problem. I am now using an index card and notating every time I take a pill. When I want to take an Oxy I ask myself what the degree of physical pain I’m feeling is. This has stopped me from taking an Oxy many times. I have also noticed that I like to take them when I am going somewhere, to hang with a friend, get my nails done, go shopping, etc., and I’m not in much pain at all. I guess I’m using Oxys for the wrong reasons plus a bit prophylacticly in anticipation of a headache maybe.
The other thing I’m doing is allowing myself to take only the number of pills I’m prescribed daily. I kept my old pill bottle from last month and I am putting the pills I don’t use from my daily allotment into this bottle. I’m hoping to save these pills for when I’m going through some really intense pain, which I anticipate having in about 2-3 weeks. I’m really hoping I have the will to not take these just for my everyday headaches.

Some very good advice from all of you. I had a psychologist have me list all the pros and cons of using and the con list was much greater. Yet I still continued to relapse. When I have an impulsive relapse my mind stays focused on how good it will feel to be high. I don't use for euphoria but to just be in a great frame of mind. I feel more sociable and get more done. But the biggest con is that these pills destroy your health both mentally and physically. Also tolerance sets in and I need more and more to feel good.
So I guess when I start fixating on using I need to find something I enjoy to break out of the thought pattern I'm in. All these relapses make me feel like I can't stop which is also destructive. I do feel I can stop. Also like the counselor suggested think of all the cons why you should stop.