Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Important info for those on Dex amphetamine re: Roadside drug testing

AlexxRed

Bluelighter
Hi all,

I'm prescribed Dexamphetamine for ADHD. With the roadside testing my doctor wrote a letter for me to keep on hand in my car for the police.

Furthermore get in contact with VicRoads. They can send you a Medical Report form which you need your doctor to fill out. It will state that your on dexamphetamine for medical reasons and this information will then be put on record. When the police run your licence through their system this information will come up.

I imagine that this would save anyone a lot of hassle trying to explain yourself if you test positive.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Alex

interesting.

good post man.

i have a mate who is on prescribed dex for helping him to study for uni, il be sure to mention this to him, id be almost positive he hasnt thought of this.

thanks for this post man, im sure it will inform many people who wouldnt have thought of this.

cheers

Do the drug driving laws make allowances for people who have valid medical reasons to be on the drugs being tested for?

The test should come up negative for dexamphetamine in any case. This was built into the trial design to minimise the chance of a whole bunch of people testing positive for prescribed meds.

As you may have noticed in recent media, Vicpol is looking at testing for benzos now - I guess now that the system is in place they can look at extending the testing regime...

They are implementing the saliva tests in WA soon (if not already)... im also prescribe dexamphetamine and at first i was worried that it could make me test positive for methamphetamine
ayjay said:
The test should come up negative for dexamphetamine in any case.
very good to know. :\

Although if it did cause a positive reaction of any kind they would have a very hard time enforcing the law in Perth... I have been told we have the highest rate of dexamphetamine prescription in Australia, and Australia has the highest rate in the world.

I was under the impression that dex would most definitely return a positive on the saliva test. If cold tablets can cause a positive then I don't see why dex wouldn't. If dex wasn't detected, then wouldn't people be able to take speed (amphetamine) and get no positive reading? I'd always thought that all amphetamines would be detected by it - not just meth and mdma but mda, mdea, pma and all the rest.This might be poor logic on my behalf though.

I was prescribed dex when I got my license, and as such on the records (which the cops pull up) it shows that I have a medical condition. I presume they would see this if ever there was a positive on the saliva test, though as they say better to be safe than sorry, so carrying around a letter from your doctor would probably be the best idea.

I recently checked the Aus standards for oral sample collection, immunoassay and subsequent lab testing. Amphetamine is definitely listed.