• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Immodium Overdose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crisler

Bluelighter
If someone uses immodium for opiate withdrawal, as recommended by many, but uses it in high doses not the doses on the box, people recommend high doses on youtube and this website, megadoses if you will. Is it safe to do that? I feel like Id be the one that takes the loperamide and have it cross the "brain barrier" and kill me in a high dose lol.

Anyways what do you guys think who know about this. This is a question that is really going to help me and much appreciated. Is lope safe in high doses, can you "OD".

It's more damaging in high doses for other reasons. Not so much your classic opiate OD

It is possible to OD on any drug really as far as pharmaceuticals go, though some may not kill you if you do OD, they could make you overdose and become ill.. Just take it easy, don't take TOO much, just enough to ease the withdrawl.

I ODed on lope earlier this month. I was taking quite a bit (around 80mg a day give or take) and while it worked well for stopping withdrawal, even was giving me a nice buzz too, I apparently over did it and had a classic opioid overdose. I went to bed feeling fine, woke up at around 7ish in the morning completely out of it. Wasn't making sense at all and was just out of it. So I go back to sleep and the next thing I remember is waking up in the ambulance with a tube down my nose and the paramedic bagging me.

Apparently about an hour after I went back to sleep my breathing became extremely labored and I couldn't be woken despite having ice put on me as well as other attempts to rouse me. Then I pretty much stopped breathing altogether, turned blue/purple so a family member called 911. As I said I woke up in the ambulance being bagged and arrived at the hospital where they administered Narcan and some sort of benzo reversal agent as well since I take Klonopin for anxiety. Let me tell you the Narcan helped rouse me but holy hell that shit was soo fucking horrible feeling. As soon as they gave it to me my whole body became insanely hot, the most intense withdrawals I ever felt kicked in instantly, and I got the worst head pain of my life not to mention it made my heart rate shoot up to 135.

After a while the first dose of Narcan wore off and I was starting to feel better withdrawal wise. Started to snooze again and the doc decided she wanted to ask me some questions so she gave me am even larger dose of the Narcan. At this point I didn't feel that I needed it as I was breathing fine on my own but they gave it to me anyway and this time the withdrawal was MUCH worse. I started vomiting uncontrollably and had all the previous symptoms but worse. Then the doc doesn't even ask me anything. Ridiculous. The doc did say it was impossible that Imodium caused all this but my tox screen came back negative for opiates so she could eat shit as far as I was concerned. Then they tried to give me a third dose of Narcan in a drip but I said if they try to give me any more of that shit I was gonna sign out AMA and leave so they didn't give it to me.

Eventually a different doc came to see me who was soo much nicer. She asked me what meds I take at home which I told her including my pain meds and she said they were gonna admit me for observation. From that point forward they gave me all my meds including the 15mg oxycodone 4x a day which was nice. I stayed overnight and was discharged late in the day. The doc was even nice enough to give me a script for a weeks worth of my pain meds since I had missed my doctors appointment where I would have probably gotten my refill so I had meds while I worked out getting in to my PM doc.

The moral of this story is BE VERY CAREFUL if you are going to use lope to help with withdrawals. I'm living proof that you can OD. I think with me because of lopes very long half life it just built up in me to the point of OD. Needless to say I won't touch the stuff now and I've found that a combo of Gabapentin, Clonidine, Klonopin, and Seroquel works wonders for my opioid withdrawals. Pretty much takes them all away.

I hope this post was helpful. Be careful with lope. It is very cardiotoxic and an OD can definitely sneak up on you.

You can definitely, 100%, OD on Loperamide. It's just like any other opiate OD. Each one has its own quirks but the end result is the same. Which unless some one finds you and takes an appropriate set of actions will end in death.

You always want to start low, you can always take more if you need to. Take too much and you'll most likely nod off and get found by your parent/relative/friend/whoever.

There have been more than one or two cases reported of kids taking doses way out of their tolerance range and dying just because they wanted an OTC way to get high.

Just to clear up some misinformation, Loperamide does cross the BBB. It just gets pumped back out right away. Taking high doses of it makes your body unable to pump it out of the flooded system in a sufficient manner and the user experiences opiate action.

I just wanted to add that megadoses of immodium is really really bad for your heart, like heart failure bad, so just don't bother taking more than a few mg for withdrawal symptoms

Status
Not open for further replies.