• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos I'm prescribed 10mg temazepam. Is any amount of alcohol safe w/this benzo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AddictNamedScott

Greenlighter
So my gp has recently prescribed me 10mg of temazepam for very severe insomnia. Issue here is that I like to have a beer or two when I get home from work at night. The doc said NO AMOUNT of alcohol is. safe to consume while I am taking the temazepam and he will take me off of it if he thinks I am drinking. I know doctors have to say stuff "By the Book" by law so I wanted a honest and informative reply from someone that knows a lot about benzodizepines. I've only been taking it for 8 days or so. Sometimes it doesn't completely knock me out but I was thinking my usual beer may complement it.

That's a tough call to make because a beer or two may be fine for some people, but could be fatal for you.

I've personally consumed a great deal of temazepam and alcohol together, but that does not make it safe whatsoever.

How long are we talking between drinking a beer or two and dosing the temazepam?

If you get home at six pm, have two beers immediately, you should be safe to take the temazepam by the time you go to bed, if bedtime is ten or eleven pm.

Temezepam is one of the more lethal benzos. One of the problems with combining alcohol with benzodiazepines is the massively increased disinhibition that combining the two creates. It's easy to have a little fun with them, and get into the mindset that if two beers was fun with the benzo, many more would be so much better! Thus, more pills and alcohol down the hatch. It really is a terribly dangerous combination, both healthwise and in terms of the risky behaviors and situations that people put themselves into whilst on the combination.

By the way, alcohol really messes up healthy sleeping patterns, so you shouldn't be drinking near bedtime anyway.

Wouldn't take benzos and alcohol together. That's the kind of combo that causes many people to lose control.

Temazepam is one of those drugs that affect people differently. I was prescribed 30 mg and typically would decide I'm not ready for sleep yet (the way people do with Z sleep pills) and go out driving, spending money and doing stuff I shouldn't be doing. Drinking would be risky, but I cannot honestly tell you that I've never done it with this drug. Be very careful because it can lower your inhibitions and when you take one drink it can turn into many more.

10mg is a low dose of temazepam. If you're only taking it at bedtime as prescribed, and you want to have a couple beers when you get home from work, I think you'll be fine.

Just dont go eating a handfull of pills and downing a six pack before deciding it'd be a good idea to have a night out on the town. Then you'd be sorry.

although i used to take xanax and drink a couple beers to amplify the effect, it was only a matter of time until I set myself up for destruction....the right and straight answer to this question is No it is not safe.....people may say you can get away with it like I did...but some lose self control, and also it is just a very dangerous combo that should not be mixed.

Right...my honest answer is I've always been fine to combine benzos and alcohol, but I've also seen friends pass out from as little as 1mg xanax and a beer. So yes, you might be okay, but then again you might not, and it would just be a bit dumb to take the risk.
If you really need your beer (understandable after a long day), I'd take Morphling's advice and drink it as early as possible, and then take the temaz as late as possible. Do what you can to avoid interaction between the two.
You're not at any kind of lethal risk from 10mg temazepam and a couple beers but as has been mentioned, those two in combination will make your inhibitions disappear completely and can easily get you into potentially dangerous situations (including taking more benzos/alcohol, which could then become dangerous in itself!). So yeah, if you must drink just try to avoid any overlap time. Be safe :)

If you have to drink on temazepam drink only a beer or 2 (no hard liquor) alot earlier then you take your temazepam. It's impossible for us to say how you will react to the combo but my advice would be to follow doctors orders.

Back in my alcoholic daze i often drank on temazepam and the mazzies actually stopped me from doing dumb drunken shit. But i have a very high tolerance to both alcohol and benzodiazepines. However i have seen people black out and go on rampages mixing alcohol with certain benzos after only a few drinks and a few mg's of lorazepam, clonazepam, alprazolam, etc. Alprazolam seems to be a bad offender for causing a benzo and booze induced rage for some reason. Temazepam is one of the more lethal benzos to mix with other CNS depressants so that is yet another reason why to avoid that combo :\

Try to space out the two the more you can. I personally have mixed alprazolam and diazepam with all kinds of alcohol alot, i can take 1 mg of xanax and 12 beers and be wide awake and somewaht coherent. But people are different, my friend passed out for 12 hours after one beer and .5 mg. DOnt go down the road of mixing benzos and alcohol, it leads to shit. Unless you want your friends to argue what to do and be panicking because youre lips are blue and you seem to not be breathing. Lets say if you come back at 6, have a beer or two, have supper afterwards and dont drink anymore before taking your temazepam. I would say wait like 4 hours from the moment youve finished drinking your beer. I think it should be fine, but proceed with extreme caution because its tricky what some people would barely feel could kill others.

Hi...brand new here. Had a horrible day at work. Came home, had 2 beers. Walked the dog..had 2 more beers. Took a Temazepam 30mg because I knew I wouldn't sleep tonight...to wired from a very stressful day. That was an hour ago. Have had 2 more coors lites. Am I going to be OK?

I've taken Temazepam 30mg for many nights...and some night washed them down with a beer or two....but tonight, after this particular day at work, I just want to keep drinking. I am pretty beer tolerant, and sometimes drink 11 to get me drunk. I am just very worried. I took the Mazzie without even thinking

Do what your doc says. We're just random nobodies in the internet. Get a second Dr's opinion if you need peace of mind.

Also, alcohol consumption before bed is the cause of insomnia in some people.

Mark

So my gp has recently prescribed me 10mg of temazepam for very severe insomnia. Issue here is that I like to have a beer or two when I get home from work at night. The doc said NO AMOUNT of alcohol is. safe to consume while I am taking the temazepam and he will take me off of it if he thinks I am drinking. I know doctors have to say stuff "By the Book" by law so I wanted a honest and informative reply from someone that knows a lot about benzodizepines. I've only been taking it for 8 days or so. Sometimes it doesn't completely knock me out but I was thinking my usual beer may complement it.
I took 80 of the pills having drunk a bottle of wine on top of a couple of ciders.
I woke in Hospital having been in intensive care, apparently I stopped breathing.
I wasn't supposed to wake at all.
I still take Temezapham and I drink as much as I want, and I'm still here.
But just because I am doesn't mean you can get away with it.

if yot take a bear or to and not more the prescribed (Low dose) it should be ok but this BZ is triky so te best is to not drink.

I would take a beer or 2.. (Not drinking havely tho..)

On Clonazepam i can drink as normal whitout any weird effects! and i don't get more or less drunk..
But i have taken Clonazepam for about 10 years so there is that..

I took 80 of the pills having drunk a bottle of wine on top of a couple of ciders.
I woke in Hospital having been in intensive care, apparently I stopped breathing.
I wasn't supposed to wake at all.
I still take Temezapham and I drink as much as I want, and I'm still here.
But just because I am doesn't mean you can get away with it.
Sorry to hear that and glad that you survived

Anyway, this is an old thread

Combining CNS depressants like benzos and alcohol is never a good idea, as you're risking blacking out and increased respiratory depression

CLosed

Status
Not open for further replies.