• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I'm now almost positive Diphenhydramine accelerates opiate withdrawal.

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I take high doses of methadone daily, so I have a high tolerance (220 mg). I've also taken Benadryl for sleep and methadone potentiation for so long...8-10 years at least. Yes it's true that the diph does potentiate methadone - at first. But it also seems to cause it to leave my body significantly faster than if I hadn't taken it. A lot of us have gone a day or two without our doses so we can have a "superdose" of methadone once a week, or whatever - right? During my total abstainance days, I would start to feel like total shit. Especially toward the end. I took many doses of diph at the time which were mostly in the evenings, but some during the day as well.

I recently stopped taking Diph altogether, and ever since I did, I don't suffer through horrible methadone withdrawal anymore - even if it's been two days or even a bit more. Anyone have any experienced or insights to add to this?

Well Diphenhydramine can cause Restless Leg Syndrome by itself and is, in my humble opinion just nasty stuff making me lethargic as fuck and feel like shit.
With your big dose of Methadone and its long half-life you should theoretically not go into withdrawal that quick.
There maybe interactions between thetwo meds but I am not deep enough into the matter. I guess someone else can shine light on this though.

Yeah, for me it was always the worst when I was already in deep and painful w/d, and I was just desperate to take ANYTHING, you know? That was when it made RLS worse. But sometimes, just the idea that I had something to take that would relax my nervous system and help w/d was a big help - even if it was mainly a placebo.

That's not really what I meant, though. I'm not saying that I'd be as sick after 2 days without methadone as I would be after a week without, but it was still bad enough that I would have the on-and-off chills, hot flashes, sneezing and even vomiting toward the end. Typically, it would happen if I had my last dose at about 11 am Friday, then nothing at all until 8:30 am Monday. That's nearly 3 full days...with a quick metabolism for it, that certainly doesn't seem unusual that I'd begin to get so sick by that point. BUT again, I was also taking a couple hundred mg Diph (or more) each and every day before, during and after that time. Now that I've stopped doing the latter, the former hasn't occurred. I can't yet conclude with certainty that it's cause-and-effect, but considering that diph certainly does potentiate opioids, it would make sense that it causes your system to get rid of them faster as a result.

Diphenhydramine doesn't affect methadone's metabolism, so it wouldn't cause your body to eliminate it faster. It can cause RLS because of the delicate balance between acetylcholine and dopamine in the striatum - which is why anticholinergics are used for extrapyramidal symptoms - and it sometimes it can upset this balance in some people. Especially at high dosages, such as the ones you were taking.

Fuck yeah I thought I was the only one who takes benadryl while in withdrawal and it makes the RLS bad as fuck. Same with trazadone and seraquel!! It even happens during PAWS. Months later! I have talked this over with doctors, and they just seem to shrug it away. How can a person sleep especially in acute withdrawal, if their legs are dancing like an Irish tap dancer's?? A benzo has always been key for me in that situation.

It is weird though, when I was on BlueLight maintenance, I would take a benadryl, and it's sedative effects would knock me right out. No RLS period.

OP, check out https:/wikipedia.org/wiki/diphenhydramine
This has a lot of important information explaining this medication.

Yes I've also experienced first hand dph and dxm, causing the onset of wd to occur faster. Even though they potentiate nicely, they seem to accelerate the onset of wd. I've also read a few different articles explaining why this happens, I cant find them though, I do remember Kleiner posting a link to the dxm version, so maybe he can do it again?

- Hopeless 7nos

Weird to see this topic. I'm prescribed oxycodone and take it regularly without problems. Last night I took a Benedryl to fall asleep and for allergies and woke up at 3:00 a.m. in a ton of pain. Needed to take an extra med to get through. After reading this topic, I think I'm tossing the rest of that crap.

From what I've seen first hand multiple times; Diphenhydramine will worsen some withdrawal symptoms, especially RLS, which I get really bad, if you do not wait at least 4 or 5 days to do it. Maybe more for some people. The problem is that when people are still in the worst of the shit storm, you want to do almost anything to get rid of the chills, shakiness, RLS, etc. So then they will take a sleep aid like Diphenhydramine and just worsen the RLS. This ends up leading to people on hundreds of forums claiming this drug is no good for wd. For me personally, an aleve or two and 40-60 mg of loperamide does wonders. However, the insomnia and RLS will continue, sometimes for weeks. Best thing to do imo is to do whatever you can to get thru the worst of it, if you can do that and all you're still experiencing is some RLS and insomnia, and your 5 maybe 6 days in, try the Diphenhydramine. Larger doses have also been reported to be one reason RLS may get worse, so start small, under 50mg, and see how it affects you. My girlfriends brother swore that the Diphen helped him get sleep more than anything after the first week of heroin wd. He said it made it worse when he tried it on like day two or three. Me personally, Im about to see how it helps me with my heroin wd, as I am about 5 days in since any opiate, however I greatly reduced my tolerance over the last 3 weeks and had only 2 relapses. My withdrawal is no longer as bad after 24-48 hours and by day 3 and 4 my RLS is really the only thing that has been driving me crazy and keeping me awake for days. So I'm taking my friend and gf's bro's advice and trying the Diphenhydramine for this horrible insomnia that's driving me mad. Point is, don't assume diphen doesn't work for wd's because people who couldn't wait long enough took it and felt worse. There's still a good possibility that it can work for post-acute withdrawals. I'm no expert, but I've done opiates for almost a decade, with a brief period of no opiate usage that lasted 3 or 4 years, then recently went back into it after having severe tooth pain that only went away with the use of oxycodone. That got too expensive once my meds ran out, and after 6 months went back to the H that I thought I would never do again and just went a good year straight going hard with it. Now that my kid was just born I'm deciding to be done with it once again, this time for good. Loperamide, weed, naproxen, benzo's, kratom, akuamma, suboxone, and gaba pentin have been my saviors the last 3 weeks. If your going through withdrawal, any of the things listed will help a lot in combination with each other, not all at once. I used them very strategically, this isn't my first rodeo. Please be careful

Sedative antihistamines are well known to exacerbate certain symptoms of Opioid withdrawal. As others have mentioned, a single dose (~50mg) Diphenhydramine is enough to leave you in a completely fucked state of extreme Restless Legs/Akathisia. Almost all prescribers will recommend taking a sedative antihistamine during withdrawal. I'm here to tell you that you really shouldn't. There's a minority for whom there is a benefit with this medication, but almost everybody I know experiences severely negative side effects by taking these drugs while in withdrawal.

A refresher... This list includes the above stated, Promethazine (Phenergan), Hydroxyzine (Vistaril, Atarax), Doxylamine (Unisom) among a few others that are commonly available/prescribed.

So, I really don't think that they actually accelerate withdrawal in a true sense of the word. They exacerbate it for the course of their action though.

Sorry to come in again but no. Only a proper opioid antagonist like Naltrexone will accelerate withdrawal.

Obviously lots of sleep, drinking water, and excorcise also accelerates withdrawal and recovery

^ I've always found Ultra Rapid Detox to be intriguing. That proves the point that Naltrexone can turn things around in a hurry. AH effect on W/D's seems more subjective.

^ I've always found Ultra Rapid Detox to be intriguing. That proves the point that Naltrexone can turn things around in a hurry. AH effect on W/D's seems more subjective.

I haven't used BL in years so I haven't seen you to know if you have used or use opiates or not, but you should try Naltrexone one day just to find out for yourself what it can do. Obviously I advise to not start Naltrexone until at least 1 week after cessation otherwise it's actually gonna be worse for you

I always used Benadryl when I detoxed because I wanted sleep desperately and now it makes sense. The rls(well arms and body too) was the worst symptom and me chucking back Benadryl made it worst. I relapsed over n over and just went on methadone