• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

IL-6 attenuates 5ht2a activity

RhythmSpring

Bluelighter
Hi,
I'm a newbie trying to understand this study. I know that IL-6 is a pro-inflammatory cytokine, and that "attenuates" means reduces (just had to clarify that, lol), and that 5ht2a receptor activity (as tested with the psychedelic DOI) corresponds to, well, psychedelic activity.

My interpretation of this study is that inflammation (and pain) in the body reduces our capacity to trip. Is this true?

I ask because I've been in severe chronic pain for about a decade and have "tripped" a good armful of times, but almost all my trips are non-visual in nature. Most of the trips have to do with insight and bodily sensations. Yet, as my condition improves (rheumatoid arthritis, lots of IL-6 happening), I am getting more visuals as I trip (and generally having a better time, of course).

~

My interest also lies in the long-term healing process of chronic illnesses. In Amazonian medicine, some curandera/os treat the patient first with medicinal plants before ramping up ayahuasca doses. Rather than getting right into the ayahuasca sessions (which one would think might be very healing on their own), the "doctor" makes sure other physical symptoms (such as inflammation) are at bay before going forward with ayahuasca. Just an anecdote.

My interpretation of this study is that inflammation (and pain) in the body reduces our capacity to trip. Is this true?

The paper shows that, in vitro, IL-6 (which would be produced in higher concentrations under the conditions you describe) attenuates, specifically, inositol phosphate production mediated by a 5HT2A agonist. This could suggest that IL-6 might reduce the overt psychedelic effects of 5HT2A agonists, but it is far from conclusive. I'm not sure what the correlation is between inositol phosphate production specifically and psychedelic effects of 5HT2A agonists.