• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids If I walk into A&E and say I'm going Cold Turkey....

Status
Not open for further replies.

oliphill

Bluelighter
...from 3 years of heroin/methadone with last month on dhc and dabbling in a bit of hydromorphone and oxy. But 3 years without a day off.

And say that the doctors are all closed, etc. Will you help me?

Do you think they would do/give me anything?

Maybe a prescription for Clonodine/Lofexidine?

A bed with treatment with clonodine or lofexidine/benzos?

Told to FxxK off?

This is in the UK by the way, where we ALL get free healthcare, but there are waiting lists for consultancies, operations, detox beds, etc.

I posted in EADD too. SOrry mods. really want some answers, beginning cold turkey today and so tempted to go the the hospital.

Regards,
A very sick Oli

I'm not too sure about the UK, but one time I went to the ER for heroin withdrawal here in the US. They put me in a "monitoring room" in the psych part of the ER, with camera's and shit. They gave me a clonidine patch, and then said "You should probably go to detox..". Really? I never woulda thought..

So hopefully your experience is a bit better, but here in the US they basically tell you to fuck off, maybe give you some clonidine. I seriously would not count on getting suboxone or methadone or anything worthwhile.

Im not after any opiates at all.

If they gave me clonodine or the UK equivilent Lofxidine, that would be great. That's really what I'm after. Oh and some decnt strength benzos would help too.

Oli

Why is everything closed? Is it like an extension of Easter?

Anyways, I'm not too familiar with the UK so I don't know off hand what is and isn't legal there...

I thought dihydrocodeine was legally obtainable a without prescription??

Edit- Co-dydramol is OTC dihydrocodeine and acetaminophen/ paracetamol, correct?

Dihydrocodeine is a somewhat weak opiate, but will work wonders for someone in need of opiates in their system. If it's a taper you're trying to do, then these should help immensely. Do a CWE if you end up taking more than like 5 - 6 at once or 12 or so throughout the day. Doing a CWE on enough of these should leave you with quite a bit of a not-so-bad opiate...

Last edited:
Lol I thought you meant A&E as in the TV network that does the Intervention show.. lol. But I guess you meant Accident and Emergency, aka the hospital.

I don't think they would give you anything... you should try get some clonidine though.

Plus, there are some OTC codeine medications that are available that would certianly help... but the above product with dihydrocodeine would certainly be what I'd go after!

Let us know how it goes!

I just read in your first post that one of the drugs you were taking originally was DHC... So why not just get some and do a proper taper? No need to put yourself through this hell when you can taper...

I wish DHC was OTC in France. Well at least we have OTC codeine and ethylmorphine (codethyline).
When I finish my methadone taper (I'm currently at 10mg), I'll look at them to help at the very end. I can have some tramadol too, but this one isn't OTC.

Which one is stronger, codeine or tramadol?

^I'd say codeine by a long shot IME. Some really like tramadol, but I doubt they'll argue that it is stronger than codeine. Then again, for a select few, tramadol seems to really work inexplicably well... so if you're of of those lucky people, then maybe go with the tramadol... ;)

Thanks BollWeevil, I thought tramadol was a little bit stronger (being RX only -well that doesn't mean anything, does it?), but I tried it only once, a long time ago, so I don't remember if I liked it or not.

I find tramadol to be a fair bit stronger than codeine weight for weight and also in terms of the effects. Definitely one that varies massively between individuals though. As for OTC meds, you can but DHC/paracetamol and codeine/paracetamol OTC in the UK. And codeine linctus. And various other cough mixtures containing codeine, opium tincture and even low-dose morphine OTC. Whether the pharmacist will actually sell any of the more desirable options to you is another matter...

Mate go to Boots and buy Paramol for the DHC and do a CWE. Mr. Blonde explains it well..Make an appt with your GP if u feel uncomfortable talking to them or spend a few quid and see a private doc and do a proper DHC taper and with benzo's...

Hope that helps...

I thought this was about someone trying to get the intervention people to send him to a nice rehab, too. How disappointing.

I wish DHC was OTC in France. Well at least we have OTC codeine and ethylmorphine (codethyline).
When I finish my methadone taper (I'm currently at 10mg), I'll look at them to help at the very end. I can have some tramadol too, but this one isn't OTC.

Which one is stronger, codeine or tramadol?

It has been my experience that codeine is typically stronger than tramadol, but in opiate withdrawal from substances far more powerful, tramadol always seems to help my withdrawal symptoms better, and for longer. Usually 1 or two tramadol will get me feeling somewhat functional, or at least quiets down the feeling that I am crawling out of my skin. I am able to eat and sleep normally during full withdrawal symptoms with 3-4 tramadol. But, taking more than 4 makes me feel really weird and bad. Anyways, withdrawal is the only time that I have found that tramadol works better than codeine. Feel better and I hope this helps ya a little :\

I've been on dihydrocodiene for a month now.

I've got shed loads of the stuff so dont need to get any more.

I am going cold turkey off it now.

I want NO more opiates.

Now is the end of day 1 and I feel OK.

May go see doctor tomorow for lofexidine.

Lol I thought you meant A&E as in the TV network that does the Intervention show.. lol. But I guess you meant Accident and Emergency, aka the hospital.

I don't think they would give you anything... you should try get some clonidine though.

LOL I was thinking the same thing when I saw the title.

Thanks Kallisti. Maybe you had some time-released tramadol, I know this form does exist, at least in France.
And good luck to you, oliphill, you have made the majority of the road when you decided to stop ;)

I've been on dihydrocodiene for a month now.

I've got shed loads of the stuff so dont need to get any more.

I am going cold turkey off it now.

I want NO more opiates.

Now is the end of day 1 and I feel OK.

May go see doctor tomorow for lofexidine.

Best wishes.......do you all have walk in doctor's offices (not in the hospital or emergency room) where you live? I have known several people that have been able to get clonidine from the walk-in doctor's office for opiate withdrawal. You may have more luck than with the emergency room. It is common where I live for people to go to the ER for withdrawal and get a clonidine patch and a referral to a detox. Of course, they don't give you much else but the clonidine helps a lot.

I would try to get the lofexidine too. You guys also have Loperamide (Immodium) right? Not exactly an original suggestion, but it helps me a lot with more than the GI problems.

It sounds like you're definitely in the right mind set to achieve this. Congratulations and good luck. :)

You already posted this exact same thread in another forum and got an answer. Apparently it wasn't the one you wanted, but that doesn't give you an excuse to post it again elsewhere.

Do not post the same thread across forums, and don't ask questions if you don't want to hear the answer.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.