• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe Ideal Suboxone ROA

I would never inject buprenorphine (unless I could get buprenex) but if that's your preference I am certainly in no position to judge you. The way I see it, we can never know what someone else is going thru. In the past, my initial reaction if I met someone struggling and maybe they were not as nice to me as I thought they should have been be was to think they were assholes. Nowadays I immediately think there is no way I can know what he/she is dealing with behind the face they are showing me.

I have been on and off buprenorphine since they first approved it for addiction treatment in 2002. I've had it in nearly every conceivable preparation. My favorite was buprenex which I could safely inject IM with freshly unsealed syringes. Nowadays I just get the 2mg generic straight buprenorphine (subutex). But to your question, I am pretty much in the camp of intranasal being the ROA with highest bioavailability next to injecting. I'm sure plugging is high too but would rather not do that. What confuses me is if the stuff latches on to the receptors and has a consistent half-life the way all the medical science says it does, why would ROA have any relevance to duration of action?

Off topic aside from being a bitch to discontinue, xanax is great and does what it's supposed to do but wears off too fast. If I wanted to taper down from extended xanax use with something besides lower doses of xanax, I'd use something like valium, librium or tranxene. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think 1mg of xanax is roughly equal to 15mg of valium. I also like valium because it has more muscle relaxant properties than xanax. Kind of like clonazepam has anti-seizure properties where as xanax or valium not so much.

I IV all my bupe. Mainly because 1) it saves money - since I can use more of the drug (higher BA), I can save more, and sell it, and 2) I love needles.

I've plugged it as well, and of course taken it sublingual, and (really stupid) injected it IM and under the skin and in the fat. The last three are outright dangerous, and doing the former ... I feel like I've wasted alot of drugs and money.

ROA has an effect on duration of action because it has an effect on how much of the substance enters you system. The more effective the ROA, the more drug enters your system. More drug in your system means a long duration of action.

What don't you try methadone mascarasnake? It sounds like buprenorphine isn't ideal (or at least compared to alternatives) if you've been on and off it for 15 years. Do what works for you, but I'd serious consider methadone. Buprenorphine was great for me and did far more good than bad when I used it, but what ended up getting me off heroin and other opioids was methadone. It's amazing not thinking or craving that shit all the time anymore, just as it was awesome not craving that shit thanks to methadone when I was on that.

I honestly craved on bupe more than I ever did on methadone. I also always preferred to take it so when orally versus IV, which was never really more effective or different in any way whatsoever.

ROA has an effect on duration of action because it has an effect on how much of the substance enters you system. The more effective the ROA, the more drug enters your system. More drug in your system means a long duration of action.

What don't you try methadone mascarasnake? It sounds like buprenorphine isn't ideal (or at least compared to alternatives) if you've been on and off it for 15 years. Do what works for you, but I'd serious consider methadone. Buprenorphine was great for me and did far more good than bad when I used it, but what ended up getting me off heroin and other opioids was methadone. It's amazing not thinking or craving that shit all the time anymore, just as it was awesome not craving that shit thanks to methadone when I was on that.

Thanks as always TPD. Without getting too sappy, I love to read your insightful posts and feel sure you've done a lot of harm reduction. I think you know I was FLA but forgot my password and couldn't get the password reset to work for me. Yes I looked in the spam folder and tried the reset like 1000 times. TPD who could I contact to get my FLA password reset? If you don't know that's fine. Forgive me if I get off topic a little.

I liked methadone when I could get it in an office setting. It was certainly a step in the right direction after the oxys, oxymorphone, hydromorphone, morphine etc. But standing in line at 5:30 AM to get at first just daily take homes, I don't have it in me anymore. Plus my wife would literally kill me. After I had my incident in 2013, I was able with great difficulty to get off methadone but only by being locked away from it. My wife just accidentally ran across a picture of me from before I stopped and I literally almost couldn't recognize myself. It was shocking! I was bloated to around 235 lbs. Now I'm just getting below 200 and (usually) feel much better. I was always around 172 lbs. when I was playing lots of tennis and running but that thief time had it's way with me. Nowadays I only have to deal with my grandiosity, attention seeking behavior and poor impulse control. Other than that I'm fine, lol.

BL is the only place I feel safe enough to discuss such things without society looking down on me. I feel like I'm among my kind here even though I know some of you are totally clean. I lie to myself sometimes by saying I don't care what others think of me, but I do care about that if I'm honest. Would I post something like this on Facebook? I think not.

Thanks as always TPD. Without getting too sappy, I love to read your insightful posts and feel sure you've done a lot of harm reduction
However, several studies have shown that buprenophine half-life is significantly lower when IV'd. Read this post before drawing any conclusions:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DrugNerds/comments/2jc7hy/buprenorphine_iv_half_life/

That's a good point, the relationship between ROA, BA, duration of action and half-life is not always linear.

And hello FLA! I think I'd totally forgotten that was who mascarasnake is. Generally if you lose access to the email account associated with your BL account there is not much we can do in terms of restoring an account. Try pm'ing alasdairm about this, but don't get your hopes up. Or you can just post in Site Technical Support as he checks that forum regularly.

That's a good point, the relationship between ROA, BA, duration of action and half-life is not always linear.

And hello FLA! I think I'd totally forgotten that was who mascarasnake is. Generally if you lose access to the email account associated with your BL account there is not much we can do in terms of restoring an account. Try pm'ing alasdairm about this, but don't get your hopes up. Or you can just post in Site Technical Support as he checks that forum regularly.

Thanks TPD. I posted in Technical Support so we'll see. I won't say anything further off topic after this. I generally try not to get my hopes up about anything too much. I like to do Audible books as much as possible lately. It keeps me from getting too caught up in the stuff that goes on in the media on both sides. I found myself becoming too negative about everything. I recently listened to The Antidote: Happiness for People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking. It was at least an interesting take on the whole power of positive thinking machine. I am glad to see you encourage mindfulness meditation. As we all know when you wish happiness for others it paradoxically makes you happier. I've been listening to Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's Facebook teachings on lucid dreaming yoga lately.

Only time subutex worked as a pain reliever or even felt somewhat 'high' from it
was when I woke up early and placed 4 mg under my tongue, then fell back to sleep
for 90 to 120 mins...

Dont know exactly how or why, but Ive heard the same from a few others.

Last edited:
I have taken my subs every way possible. In my opinion IV is by far the most efficient ROA but not worth it if you aren't already slamming stuff. I have been slamming my subs for the past 3 years and regret ever trying it because it is very hard to go back to taking it any other way now. Its very random with how it makes me feel, sometimes I get destroyed from like a 2mg shot other times I feel normal. I have also had great success with plugging it. The first time I plugged about 2mg of sub, my normal dose, I was so faded, I felt like I had done a full agonist opiate, nodding and all warm and fuzzy. Then after doing that several more times it just felt like regular old sub as if I had sublingually taken it. Sniffing works well too and lasts longer than IV and sub'l is my least favorite way of taking it. That's my 2 cents, I am in no way saying to follow in my foot steps though, just sharing my experience with various ROAs. Every ROA with sub has a different feel to it to me.

..ok so when ur gonna take the sub film n mix it with water is it warm water n how much water do i mix wit the sub? I was gonna do 1mg

..ok so when ur gonna take the sub film n mix it with water is it warm water n how much water do i mix wit the sub? I was gonna do 1mg

it doesn't matter really the temp of the water, just leave the film in long enough to soak.
and i would go for 1 - 2 ml personally.

as for my best ROA, its not the most dignified, but plugging all the way.

I use about 1 ml of water per 8 mg of buprenorphine, but it takes a while to get the solution clear ... but either way, for just 1 mg, 1 ml is more than enough!