• Psychedelic Medicine

Drug Addiction | +70 articles

OverdoseCrisis-1.jpg

Ibogaine blocks the cravings and withdrawal symptoms of many types of drugs

"Its effects are pretty dramatic," says Dr. Kenneth Alper, an associate professor of psychiatry at New York University who specializes in addiction research. "I've observed this firsthand, and it's difficult to account for."

Dr Alper was among the attendees who gave a presentation on the benefits of ibogaine to the Catalan Ministry of Health. Dr Alper believes ibogaine's most likely path to prominence in the United States will be as a medication for meth addiction, for the simple reason that doctors and treatment providers have found that small daily—and thus drug-company-friendly—doses seem to work better for meth addiction than the mind-blowing "flood doses" used on opiate addicts. Alper says no one thought to try non-hallucinogenic quantities of ibogaine until recently. Ibogaine treatment providers tend to have been former ibogaine users, and most assumed that the introspection brought on by tripping was key to overcoming their addictions. "That's just how it evolved," he says, noting that the large doses do seem to work best for opiate detox.

"You're talking about a drug that has been used in less than 10,000 people in the world in terms of treatment. It's not surprising that's how it evolved. The visions have some psychological content that is salient and meaningful," Alper adds. "On the other hand, there is no successful treatment for addiction that's not interpreted as a spiritual transformation by the people who use it. It's the G-word. It's God. We as physicians don't venture into that territory, but most people do."

Recently Wilkins has been experimenting with small daily doses of ibogaine for people with heart conditions or other health problems that make the "flood dose" unadvisable. The non-hallucinogenic regimen seems successful, she says, citing the case of Ron Price, the former bodybuilder, in particular. Price first came to Tijuana for ibogaine in 1996 and has been back six times, including his October stay. "Every time I feel like I'm getting out of control, I come here," he says, his voice a gruff mumble. "The very first time, I had a bit of visuals. It's supposed to take six months to get off methadone. With this it was one day. It was incredible. I haven't had a craving for methadone since then."

That first time, Price took a "flood dose," enough to keep him tripping for hours on end. During this stay, Wilkins started him off with a tiny dose and gradually increased the amount he ingested each day. At the same time, she was weaning him off Oxycontin.

"We reduced your Oxy dose from 240 milligrams to 120 milligrams, in what, two weeks? That's great!" she says encouragingly. "He was fantastic," she adds proudly. "He developed a routine in his day. He was getting up and watering the garden, and not staying in bed and watching TV. He was walking the dog and wanting to go out—he was eager to go home, not scared."

Now, seated at the kitchen table, Price reflects on what has been most helpful during his time in Mexico. The ibogaine lessened his cravings for drugs and alcohol, he says, but eventually the effect will wear off. "It's no magic thing," he says pensively.

"It's creating good habits and creating a support system. Ibogaine strips you of the cells and walls you build up for yourself. It allows you to go AA meetings — which I'll do when I get home. At least it gives you a fighting chance to make your own decision."

http://archive.seattleweekly.com/hom...129/story.html

Last edited:
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F2b17c9dc-5835-11e7-b34e-8647bf2bc7f8.jpg

“A vast, uncontrolled experiment” — Ibogaine, 10 years on

by Loren DeVito, PhD | February 19, 2019

Nearly 10 years ago, I stepped out on a Saturday night to meet a friend for a movie in Davis Square. The movie, I’m Dangerous with Love, was playing as part of a special event. As I settled into the Somerville theater, I wasn’t quite sure what I was in for, or how this documentary would end up informing me of a revolution in medicine to come nearly a decade later.

Living dangerously: clandestine healing

The film followed Dimitri Mugianis, a former musician and recovering addict, as he bounced back and forth between his NYC base to treat people across the nation and in Canada. While the opioid epidemic is all around us in 2019, back then, the vernacular of addiction was still relegated to those taking illicit drugs like heroin. With no medical training, Dimitri set out to heal those addicted to drugs with an alkaloid from a traditional plant native to West Africa: ibogaine.

His clandestine healing sessions intrigued me immediately. This former rocker who treated his addiction using this very method was traveling to people’s homes to administer a plant that, in the majority of cases, almost immediately “cured” people. As a neuroscientist-in-training, every cell in my brain lit up.

How could this plant be so effective? How could no one in the West have heard of this “miracle”?

I watched captivated as Dimitri administered the plant, cared for people as they went through agonizing, albeit, brief detox. Then, as they awoke, he talked them through their new life. Of course, not everyone was able to maintain their abstinence long-term, but most people in the film did get a chance to live without drug dependency for a significant amount of time.

Nevertheless, this treatment was not without harm. In fact, ibogaine can cause severe cardiac side effects, which is extremely dangerous when treating people without a medical license at their homes with a drug that is not exactly mentioned in medical textbooks. After one such case, Dimitri realized he was treating patients without proper knowledge of the plant in its entirety. Therefore, he set out to Gabon to learn more about how the plant is traditionally used to better inform his practice.

After a brief discussion following the movie, I left the theater buzzed. As a good little scientist, I immediately pulled up PubMed (the science version of Google) when I got home to search for studies on ibogaine. While there were many studies using preclinical models, I could find very little information for its use in humans.

I filed ibogaine away as one of the cool things I would study when I had my own lab and could start pursuing (funding permitting) my own research passions, and that’s where ibogaine sat for many years—a paper in the accordion file of my brain—that is, until a few years ago.

Pharmacology of an ancient root

One night, I happened upon a study while numbly scrolling through social media. Researchers found that ibogaine enhances neuroplasticity in the brain. “I knew it!” I exclaimed to no one.

My heart started to race, and images appeared of the movie I had seen years before. Could this be how ibogaine helps people rapidly recover from addiction?

The part of the film that really struck a chord involved a scene with a woman who had taken ibogaine. The day after her treatment, she reported feeling as though her senses were “renewed”: Food tasted different, colors were brighter, and everything had changed overnight.

Neurogenesis occurs in the hippocampus, a part of the brain essential to memory and the region I happened to be studying in graduate school, as well as the olfactory regions in adults. The woman’s report following ibogaine made me think of neurogenesis and neuroplasticity immediately because a supply of new neurons and connections flooding the brain would likely cause these perceptions. Of course, I still didn’t know the first thing about the chemical properties of ibogaine, so I got to work.

Getting to know ibogaine

Ibogaine comes from the roots of Tabernanthe Iboga, a shrub native to West Africa. Lower doses are used to help alleviate fatigue, while higher doses are used in religious ceremonies. Noribogaine is the drug's active metabolite.

Ibogaine works by inhibiting the reuptake of neurotransmitters (brain chemicals), including serotonin, which may induce hallucinogenic experiences similar to other psychedelic substances. As I accidentally discovered one night, ibogaine also contributes to neuroplasticity, which is the brain’s ability to reorganize itself when presented with new information.

A preclinical study showed that ibogaine increases glial cell line-derived neurotrophic factor, a substance that promotes the survival and differentiation of cells in the brain. Additionally, noribogaine changes the structure of brain cells, affecting how they interact with other cells.

Clinical studies have found that a single oral dose of ibogaine can significantly reduce cravings for cocaine and heroin, as well as symptoms of depression, for up to 30 days following treatment. While long-term effectiveness of the treatment varies, a survey of patients who received ibogaine treatment in Mexico showed that 30 percent abstained from opioid use for up to two years, with 41 percent reporting abstinence for more than six months, across a three-year follow-up period. There is also some evidence that ibogaine may help those with alcohol addiction.

A blocked path to progress

While the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) entertained the idea of approving a clinical trial for ibogaine in 1993, they decided against it due to safety concerns, despite the fact that people were getting treated in droves at clinics outside the U.S.

In 2005, a few years before the movie came out, the director of anti-addiction drug development at the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) referred to ibogaine as a "vast, uncontrolled experiment"—a pretty accurate description then—but times have changed.

Traditional medicines like cannabis and psilocybin finally started to hit the mainstream (i.e., in the West) a few years ago and are making significant strides toward legalization through rigorous clinical trial studies. Essentially, we are finally realizing their potential after thousands of years of anecdotally documented benefits.

Flash-forward to today, and we now have quite a surplus of data on ibogaine. In fact, a current search on ibogaine produces more than 450 hits, a far higher number than when I originally started on my expedition. Yet, it still begs the question of the true effectiveness of ibogaine and, most importantly, its safety.

Unsafe unknowns

While ibogaine remains illegal in the U.S., people continue to travel to clinics throughout the world in an attempt to break the cycle of addiction. Despite a decade of additional research, safety concerns remain significant.

Ibogaine treatment can be deadly. Administration of the drug can cause serious cardiac effects since ibogaine decreases the heart rate. Unfortunately, these effects can come on quite quickly. While a small clinical trial identified the time it takes to clear a small dose of ibogaine from the body, additional study is needed to better understand how to safely dose ibogaine.

While there is evidence that low-dose administration of ibogaine can effectively reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings, it’s not possible to guarantee the safety of ibogaine treatment. People who take ibogaine do so at their own risk. Ibogaine remains an illegal substance in the U.S., so, is there any hope for ibogaine? Yes, with more research, of course.

A Phase 2 clinical trial is currently underway evaluating ibogaine for alcohol addiction. MAPS has conducted two observational studies in Mexico and New Zealand. U.S. state legislators are also proposing new bills to fund research for ibogaine, and one Republican lawmaker in Iowa just filed a state bill to legalize its medical use.

Ten years later and there is still a lot of work to be done, but I’m Dangerous with Love opened my eyes to the immense potential of using an ancient plant to solve a modern health crisis, and for that, I thank you, Dimitri.

https://prohbtd.com/a-vast-uncontrol...10-years-later

ba0f343239d0e2d4ce6f0d6ad04202c9.jpg

Ten years of therapy in one night

In 1962, Howard Lotsof, a 19-year-old heroin addict in New York, was given iboga by a chemist, which he tried for kicks. After consuming the bitter rootbark powder, he experienced a visionary tour of his early memories. Thirty hours later, when the effects had subsided, he found that he had lost all craving for heroin, and he had no withdrawal symptoms of any kind.

He then gave iboga to seven other addicts, and five stopped taking drugs immediately afterwards.

In 1985, Lotsof patented the ibogaine molecule for the purposes of addiction treatment, but could not get his treatment approved. In the interim years, ibogaine had been declared, along with LSD and several other psychedelic molecules, an illegal "schedule one" substance, with potential for abuse and no medical value. Although it found dedicated support among a ragtag group of countercultural activists and left-over Yippies, in 1995 the National Institutes of Health discontinued research into the substance, and pharmaceutical companies have since ignored it, perhaps due to low profit potential.

But now, interest in ibogaine is growing rapidly, passing a "tipping point" through a combination of anecdotal evidence, underground activism, journalism and scientific research. Articles have appeared in US publications ranging from the authoritative Journal Of The American Medical Association (Jama) to the populist Star. The Jama piece, Addiction Treatment Strives For Legitimacy, described the drug's stalled and tortured path through the regulatory agencies, noting that the treatment's frustrated supporters in the US have set up an "underground railroad" to give addicts access to the drug: "While unknowable scores of addicts continue ingesting ibogaine hydrochloride purified powder - or iboga whole-plant extract containing a dozen or more active alkaloids - few trained researchers witness the events."

The Star took a more colourful approach: "Rare Root Has Celebs Buzzing" it said, trumpeting the treatment as the hot ticket for "the numerous celebs who look for relief from their tough lives, a needle or prescription drugs." The article insinuates that "some of our favorite A-listers" not only get cured but enjoy the hallucinations as an illicit "fringe benefit." Outside the US, new clinics have opened in Mexico, Canada and Europe, offering reasonably priced, medically supervised opportunities to try ibogaine as a method of overcoming addiction.

Iboga is the sacred essence of the religion of the Bwiti tribe of Gabon and Cameroon. Most members of the tribe ingest it just once in their lives, during an initiation ceremony in which massive amounts of the powdered bark are consumed. Through this ritual, they become a baanzi, one who has seen the other world. "Iboga brings about the visual, tactile and auditory certainty of the irrefutable existence of the beyond," wrote the French chemist Robert Goutarel, who studied the Bwiti. The iboga bark's visionary power is produced by a complicated cocktail of alkaloids that seems to affect many of the known neurotransmitters, including serotonin and dopamine. Its complex molecular key may lock into the addiction receptors in a way that resets patterns and blocks the feedback loops that reinforce

In an essay on ibogaine's anti-addictive properties, Dr Carl Anderson of McLean Hospital, Virginia, speculated that "addiction is related to a disrupted relationship between the brain's two hemispheres, and that ibogaine may cause 'bi-hemispheric reintegration.' " Ibogaine also accesses REM sleep in a powerful way - many people need considerably less sleep for several months after an ibogaine trip.

Six years ago, I became a member of the Bwiti. I had heard about ibogaine in an anarchist bookstore in New York. On a magazine assignment, I went to Gabon and took iboga in an initiation ceremony. It was one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, experiences of my life. I had heard the substance described as "10 years of psychoanalysis in a single night" but, of course, I did not believe it. As the tribesmen played drums and sang around me until dawn, I lay on a concrete floor and journeyed back through the course of my life up to that point, witnessing forgotten scenes from childhood. At one point, I had a vision of a wooden statue walking across the room and sitting in front of me - later, I was told this was "the spirit of iboga" coming out to communicate with me.

My Bwiti initiation was complicated by a belligerent, greedy shaman who called himself The King and demanded more money from us before, during and after the ceremony. The King was also dissatisfied with the visions I described, and threatened to keep feeding me more iboga until I reported more impressive sights. The initiation, which lasted more than 20 hours, was ultimately liberating. At one point, I was shown my habitual overuse of alcohol and the effect it was having on my relationships, my writing and my psyche. When I returned to the US, I steadily reduced my drinking to a fraction of its previous level - an adjustment that seems to be permanent.

Recently, I tried ibogaine for a second time. I took it at the Ibogaine Association, a clinic in Rosarito, Mexico. I had been contacted by a heroin addict who had been inspired to take ibogaine after reading the book I wrote about my experiences: three months after his first treatment in Mexico, he was still clean - after a 12-year dependency. He told me, "Your book saved my life." He had given Dr Martin Polanco, the clinic's founder, a copy of my book, and he had offered me a free treatment. I was curious to see how the experience would differ away from its tribal context. My new friend wanted to take it again to reinforce the effect. We went down together.

Polanco estimates that his clinic has treated nearly 200 addicts in its first 18 months. About one third of those patients have managed to stay clean - either permanently or for a considerable period; many have returned for a second treatment. "Ibogaine needs to be much more widely available," Polanco says. "We still have a lot to learn about how to administer it, how to work with it." He does not think iboga is a cure for addiction, but is convinced it is a powerful tool for treatment - and, in some cases, it is a cure. He plans to set up several non-profit clinics. "This is something that should be non-profit," he says. "After all, it is a plant. It came up from the earth. It does give you some guidance. It shows you how you really are." He chuckles. "That can be scary."

The Ibogaine Therapy House in Vancouver, British Columbia, opened last November. "So far, we have treated 14 people quite well," says Marc Emery, the clinic's founder and head of the BC Marijuana Party. "They all say that their life has improved." Emery, nicknamed the "Prince of Pot", is funding the free clinic with proceeds from his successful hemp seed business. "Ibogaine stops the physical addiction without causing withdrawal," he says, "and it deals with the underlying psychological issues that lead to drug use."

Emery estimates that treatment for each patient at the clinic costs around $1,500, which includes two administrations of the drug. "When I found out about ibogaine, I felt that someone should be researching this, but the drug companies aren't interested because there is no commercial potential in this type of cure." Neither he nor Polanco is too concerned about ambiguous studies on ibogaine's toxicity. As the Jama article noted, "One reviewer wrote that the drug's toxicology profile was 'less than ideal', with bradycardia [an abnormally slow heartbeat] leading the list of worrisome adverse effects."

"From the masses of reports I have studied, a total of six people have died around the time they took ibogaine,"
says Emery. "Some were in poor health, some took other drugs at the time of their treatment. That doesn't scare me off. I have a lot of confidence in ibogaine."

At this stage, with little scientific study, the true toxicology of ibogaine is impossible to determine - the treatment is unlicensed in other countries and illegal in the US. The decision whether or not to take such a risk is entirely personal. Emery notes that his clinic screens for heart problems and other medical conditions that might contraindicate the treatment. It also gives patients small daily doses of iboga for two weeks after their initial treatment. "Iboga tends to make anything bad for you taste really crappy. If possible, we want our patients to quit cigarettes at the same time. We think that cigarettes can lead people back to other addictions."

Emery notes that nobody has so far criticised the project, and he is seeking support from local government. "Iboga tells you to change your ways or else - it goes over all of your health and personal issues. It is like the ghost of Christmas past."

Randy Hencken drove us from San Diego to the Ibogaine Association. A 25-year-old former heroin addict who had kicked the habit after two ibogaine treatments at the clinic, he was now working for the association, going to local methadone centres with flyers and keeping in contact with former patients. The first treatment costs $2,800, including an initial medical examination and several days' convalescence afterwards, but subsequent visits are only $600 - and it seems most addicts need at least two doses of ibogaine to avoid relapsing.

"The Ibogaine Association is in a quiet, dignified house overlooking the Pacific, decorated with Buddhist statues and yarn paintings from Mexico's Huichol people. I was given a medical examination by Polanco and a test dose of the drug. Twenty minutes after ingesting the test dose, I started to feel nervous and light-headed. As I took the other pills - a gel-capped extract of the rootbark powder - I realised I was in for a serious trip."

"The nurse led me back to my room. My head already spinning, I lay back on the bed as she hooked me up to an electrocardiograph and headphones playing ambient music. Why was I doing this again? Ibogaine is no pleasure trip. It not only causes violent nausea and vomiting, but many of the "visions" it induces amount to a painful parading of one's deepest faults and moral failings. I had a loud, unpleasant buzzing in my ears - the Bwiti probably pound on drums throughout the ceremony to overwhelm this noise. With my eyes closed, I watched as images began to emerge like patterns out of TV static. I saw a black man in a 1940s-looking suit. He was holding the hand of a five-year-old girl and leading her up some stairs. I understood that the girl in the vision was me and that the man represented the spirit of iboga. He was going to show me around his castle."

While startling at the time, such an encounter with a seeming "spirit of iboga" is a typical vision produced by the Bwiti sacrament. In many accounts, people describe meeting a primordial African couple in the jungle. Sometimes, the iboga spirit manifests itself as a "ball of light" that speaks to the baanzi, saying, "Do you know who I am? I am the chief of the world, I am the essential point!" Part of my trip took the form of an interview that was almost journalistic. I could ask direct questions of "Mr Iboga" and receive answers that were like emphatic, telegraphed shouts inside my head - even in my deeply stoned state, I managed to scrawl down in my notebook many of the responses.

I asked Mr Iboga what iboga was. I was told simply: "Primordial wisdom teacher of humanity!"

Later, my personal faults and lazy, decadent habits were replayed for me in detail. When I asked what I should do, the answer was stern and paternal: "Get it straight now!"

This ideal of straightness, uprightness, kept returning during the trip - a meaningful image for me, as I suffer from scoliosis, a curvature of the spine. When I was shown other faults that seemed rather petty and insignificant, I tried to protest that some of these things really didn't matter. Iboga would have none of it, insisting: "Everything matters!"

Iboga told me that I had no idea of the potential significance of even the smallest actions. I reviewed some events in my life and my friends' lives that seemed bitterly unfair. Yet, in this altered state, I felt I could sense a karmic pattern behind all of them, perhaps extending back to previous incarnations. Iboga affirmed this, dictating: "God is just!"

To many readers, these insights may sound trivial. They did not feel that way at the time. They were delivered with great force and minimalist precision. While they might have been manifestations of my own mind, they seemed like the voice of an "other." I never think in such direct terms about "God", and "primordial wisdom teacher" is not my syntax.

During the night, I had numerous visions and ponderous metaphysical insights. At one point, I seemed to fly through the solar system and into the sun, where winged beings were spinning around the core at a tremendous rate. Up close, they looked like the gold-tinged angels in early Renaissance paintings. Perhaps due to my recent reading of the Austrian visionary Rudolf Steiner, this whole trip had a kind of eco-Christian flavour to it. At one point, I thought of humans as an expression of the Gaian Mind, the earth's sensory organs and self-reflective capacities, at the planet's present state of development. If we are changing quickly right now, I considered, it is only because the earth has entered an accelerated phase of transformation, forcing a fast evolution in human consciousness.

The loud buzzing sound that ibogaine produced seemed to be something like a dial tone, as if the alkaloid were in itself a device for communicating on a different frequency than the usual one. Thinking of my girlfriend and our child, I realised that I was lucky - "You are lucky!" Mr Iboga echoed. I felt tremendous, tearful gratitude that I had been given a chance to live and love, to explore and try to understand so many things.

As so often these days, I pondered on the terrible state of the world - wars and terrors and environmental ruin. I saw sheets of radioactive flame devouring cities, huge crowds reduced to cinders. I asked Mr Iboga if this was going to be the tragic fate of humanity. The answer I received was startling - and reassuring: "Everything is safe in God's hands!"

As ludicrous as it may sound, this message has stayed with me and alleviated much paranoia and anxiety. While tripping, I decided that Mr Iboga was a form of enlightened mind, like a buddha who had chosen a different form, as a plant spirit rather than human teacher, to work with humanity, imparting a cosmic message of "tough love". At one point I asked if he would consider incarnating as a person, and the answer I got was, basically, "Already did that!" - implying that, in some previous cycle, he had passed through the perilous stages of evolution we are now navigating. I also came away from this trip with the suspicion that iboga was the original inspiration for the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Biblical tale. The plant's placement in equatorial Africa, cradle of humanity, would support this idea, as well as its sobering moral rectitude. The "good and evil" that iboga reveals is not abstract but deeply personal, and rooted in the character of the individual.

Late in the night, I retched and vomited out bitter rootbark residue. I put on a CD of African drumming. Closing my eyes, I watched a group of smiling Bwiti women dance around a jungle bonfire. After that, the visions died down, although it was impossible to sleep until late the next night.

My friend in recovery had a less visionary experience. His faults were also paraded in front of him in repetitive loops that seemed endless. At one point, I heard him scream out, "No! No! No!" He saw a possible future for himself if he didn't kick heroin - becoming a dishwasher, sinking into dissolute old age with a bad back and a paunch. He asked what he could do to help save the world. He was told: "Clean up your room!" Meditating on his experience later, my friend quipped, "Ibogaine is God's way of saying, 'You're mine!' "

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/sep/20/booksonhealth.lifeandhealth

Last edited:
shutterstock_1084540790.jpg

“It’s not the sort of thing anyone would ever want to repeat”*

Shea Prueger speaks while swinging in a hanging wicker garden chair at a house in Costa Rica, 30 miles west of the capital city of San Jose. The 30-year-old used to live in New York City, work as a model and shoot up heroin. Today she is recalling a desperate attempt five years ago to break her opiate addiction with a psychoactive drug called ibogaine.

She had tried methadone, Suboxone, Narcotics Anonymous and other treatments. Nothing worked. So for two days in 2011 she lay on a mattress in a concrete-walled room in an underground clinic in Guatemala, unable to move, nauseated, while her mind plumbed the deeper recesses of hell. She stayed clean for nine months, relapsed once in June 2012 and says she has not used any narcotics since. “Ibogaine,” she insists, “did for me what no other recovery treatment could do.”

Recovered addicts, along with a handful of scientists, argue that a dose of ibogaine, a substance derived from a rain-forest shrub called Tabernanthe iboga, can “reset” the addiction centers of the brain, freeing people from cravings. As claims have spread, hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people have been flocking to clinics primarily located in Mexico and Central America, where the drug is obtainable - it is illegal in the U.S. In 2006 there were a handful of ibogaine clinics operating worldwide; today, by some estimates, there are around 40. Clinic operators claim that a dose can curb addictive behavior, as well as depression, in about 70 percent of patients.

That success rate, if real, would make ibogaine a sorely needed remedy for an exploding problem. In the U.S., most research indicates that heroin addiction has doubled since 2007, reaching upward of one million addicts today. The increase in needle use has also triggered a new surge in HIV infections. Overall, in 2014 7.1 million Americans had some kind of serious drug problem, according to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health. Many seek help but do so in vain. For example, 40 to 60 percent of treated substance-abuse patients will relapse. About 80 percent do so if they stop taking methadone, the most common opiate replacement therapy.

Ibogaine proponents say it does a better job because it works on many neural pathways at the same time, not just one, as do other treatments. Buoyed by these ideas, two companies, one with partial funding from the National Institute on Drug Abuse, are currently developing medications based on ibogaine derivatives.

The drug does have a catch: it can kill its users. That is why it is off-limits in the U.S., where the substance has the most restrictive designation possible from the DEA. During treatment patients often suffer from cardiac arrhythmia, which can lead to cardiac arrest and sometimes death. Published medical reports tie ibogaine to 19 fatalities in 3,500 treatments between 1990 and 2008. Because informal clinics such as the one in Guatemala may not track all adverse events, the Royal College of Psychiatrists in the U.K. estimates that the fatality rate may be even higher, reaching one in every 300 treatments. Animal studies suggest that the substance, when it does not kill, produces lasting brain damage. “Do we need ibogaine? Not if it there is a toxic part,” says Herbert Kleber, a psychiatrist at Columbia University Medical Center.

Yet desperate addicts, failed by methadone, counseling and other treatments, are undeterred by these warnings. Many of them see ibogaine—and all its heart-stopping, brain-degenerating risks—as their last, best chance to defeat addiction.

*From the article here: https://www.jasonmischka.com/ibogaine/

Dr. Bruno Chaves of Brazil has performed over 1200 treatments with ibogaine in hospital without a single adverse event. 62% of those treated remain abstinent long term. Dr. Chaves is currently accepting patients for ibogaine treatment in São Paulo, Brazil. For more information, contact Dr. Chaves directly : [email protected] -pb

Last edited:
tingri-everest-base-camp-trek.jpg

Iboga, Ibogaine and Harm Reduction*

by Ryan Rich | psychedelic.support | 15 Jun 2021

Iboga and ibogaine can be healing but at times dangerous. Iboga and Ibogaine harm reduction helps to make this therapy safe and effective.

Ibogaine is an alkaloid naturally found in the Tabernanthe Iboga shrub. The inner root bark of this shrub, called Iboga, has been used for thousands of years in the West-African Bwiti tradition. The Bwiti use Iboga in rituals for physical healing, spiritual healing, and spiritual discovery. However, in modern times, both forms are used outside of the Bwiti context for their many healing benefits. The most popular being the treatment of addiction, as Iboga is particularly effective for opioid addiction. Therefore, the scientific world is just now catching up with Iboga’s promising healing potential in the treatment of Parkinson’s, PTSD, and trauma.

As a result of all this exciting new information and the often high cost of treatment, some may feel compelled to try to take Iboga, Ibogaine, or Iboga TA (total alkaloid extract) on their own. We DO NOT recommend this. Thus, it is our recommendation to always work with an experienced team for everything from microdosing Iboga to a full-on Ibogaine Detox.

Iboga, ibogaine and harm reduction

So in the context of Iboga and Ibogaine harm reduction, we worked with our own medical team at Root Healing to write this article. So, the purpose of this article is to go over the physical contraindications, drug interactions, and proper preparation for a safe, therapeutic experience with Ibogaine. Keep in mind that following the strategies for harm reduction does not dismiss the need for medical supervision during the treatment. Therefore, make sure to always work with an experienced team including physicians and Bwiti-trained experts.

Iboga, when taken with an experienced team and proper screening, is very safe. Many retreat centers, like ours, work with Iboga in the traditional Bwiti way, but also work with a medical team ensuring proper screening and safe ceremonies. The screening process is one of the most important aspects of our work.

Ibogaine, the chemical extract of Iboga, is more dangerous and requires stricter medical protocols. Consequently, most of the reported incidents and fatalities were with Ibogaine (not Iboga) and could have been prevented with a qualified team.

Above all, using Iboga or Ibogaine without proper preparation and supervision is dangerous and must be avoided. So at the very least, please consider these things:

Physical risks and contraindications

Heart conditions

The main organ that can be negatively affected by ibogaine therapy is the heart. That’s because ibogaine’s metabolite, called noribogaine, blocks some of the ion channels in the cardiac muscle, which regulate the normal rhythm.

More specifically, those are the potassium ion channels called Kv11.1. They are commonly inhibited as a side-effect by many prescription medications, including antiarrhythmics, anti-psychotics, and certain antibiotics.

So this results in slower repolarization of the heart and increased risk for a life-threatening arrhythmia called Torsades de pointes. The blockage of the potassium channel is never permanent. The duration of the effect depends on the half-life of the medication, which in the case of Ibogaine is 28-49 h.

Slower repolarization can be detected as a prolonged QT-interval via a regular electrocardiogram (ECG). Thus, an ECG performed by a medical doctor is one of the mandatory tests before an Iboga treatment.

Reasons for a long QT interval may include medications, inherited genetic conditions, malnourishment, loss of electrolytes, and chronic cardiovascular diseases such as heart failure.

If you have any heart disease or another contraindication that may prolong the QT interval, then this therapy may be contraindicated. Factors which prolong the QT interval are concerning, as Ibogaine will further slow down the repolarization leading to potentially fatal consequences.

To sum up, there are few fatalities related to Iboga use. According to the medical records, all of the patients have been chronically ill or took contraindicated medications.

We strongly recommend getting an ECG/EKG and sharing the results with your doctor or an experienced team prior to taking Ibogaine.

Liver conditions

The negative effects on the heart can be increased if Ibogaine is not effectively neutralized by the liver. This can occur due to hepatitis, cirrhosis, or another condition that impedes liver function.

Normal hepatic function is imperative for safe ibogaine therapy because the liver enzymes, called CYP450 2D6, have the main role in neutralizing the alkaloid.

Diseases or medications which hinder the function of the enzymes can lead to increased bioavailability of Ibogaine. This results in prolonged exposure and elevated serum concentrations of the alkaloid. This increases the risk for severe side effects and arrhythmia.

People with chronic liver diseases are at a particularly increased risk. Likewise, there are reports of fatalities after ibogaine use in patients with liver cirrhosis.

Thus, liver function tests are another mandatory element of the preparation for ibogaine treatment. Your hepatic panel includes information for liver enzyme levels, serum proteins, coagulation, and other useful biomarkers of liver injury.

Taking care of your liver health is crucial before a treatment. You must abstain from drinking alcohol for at least a week before your Iboga therapy. If you are a chronic drinker or addicted to alcohol, please consult with your doctor prior to any retreat on how best to detox.

Drug interactions

The QT interval and CYP450 2D6 enzyme are commonly affected by many prescription medications. If you are taking a drug that affects either or both of them, it must be tapered off before Ibogaine treatment. Otherwise, it will significantly increase the risk for adverse reactions.

For example, antidepressants such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) block the 2D6 enzyme and prolong the QT-interval, which makes combinations with ibogaine extremely dangerous.

Similarly, other medications which block CYP450 2D6 and prolong the QT-interval include:​
  • Antidepressants (not only SSRIs)​
  • Antiarrhythmics​
  • Antifungal​
  • Antihistamines​
  • Quinine (Antimalarial)​
  • Antipsychotics​
  • Some antibiotics​
So patients with an addiction to opioids or stimulants require a specific tailored treatment that takes into consideration these drugs and their effect on the liver. Narcotics and medications which mainly affect the liver metabolism by blocking the 2D6 enzymes are:​
  • Anti-HIV​
  • Cannabidiol (CBD)​
  • Antacids​
  • Opioids and methadone​
  • Cocaine and stimulants​
  • Beta-blockers​
  • Antiemetics​
In addition, benzodiazepines and other medications that depress the nervous system must be safely tapered off prior to any treatment. Talk to your doctor before discontinuing any medications. Some drugs have a rebound effect, which means your symptoms might get exacerbated and dangerous if you stop taking them abruptly. Your physician will provide you with information on how to taper off them properly.

To sum up, keep in mind that these lists are not exhaustive and any medication you are taking might have unknown contraindications. Thus, make sure to consult with a medical professional or experienced team beforehand and report all medications you have taken recently.

Dietary recommendations

Fasting is strictly prohibited before ibogaine treatment. Patients who are fasting, or suffer from eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia, are at an increased risk of prolonged QT due to electrolyte imbalances.

People who have recently had digestive symptoms such as vomiting or diarrhea are also at an increased risk.

Several foods and drinks can block the CYP450 2D6 enzyme and slow down the liver metabolism of ibogaine breakdown, leading to elevated concentrations and side effects. Those are grapefruit, pomelo, and their juices.

Quinine-containing drinks such as tonic water and bitter lemon are also contraindicated. They must be avoided in the days before ibogaine treatment to minimize the risks for side effects.

Summary of physical contraindications

In short, the main physical contraindications against ibogaine treatment include factors that might slow down the repolarization of the heart and block the detoxification systems of the liver. These factors are:​
  • cardiovascular conditions​
  • liver conditions​
  • drugs and medications​
  • certain foods and beverages (incl. alcohol)​
In conclusion, while Iboga and Ibogaine can be a safe and effective treatment, for the reasons outlined above, we do not recommend doing it without an experienced team.

*From the article here :

Last edited:
2CezPcm.gif

Addicts turning to ibogaine as a last resort

by Stefanie Cohen | 21 Apr 2018

After suffering from anxiety and depression, freelance writer Stefanie Cohen sought help at an ibogaine clinic similar to the one where banking heir Matthew Mellon had received treatment and was about to check into again before his death last week. Cohen found the results so effective, she worked for a time for the Ibogaine Institute, writing web copy for the center. Here, she tells what it’s like taking the drug and why so many people are turning to it for help…

I’ve been running through a gauntlet of people for the past four hours, answering questions, laughing at jokes, getting spit on and hit on and molested. At every turn there’s another person who wants something from me. Some shout. Some whisper so quietly I can barely hear them. And their faces and bodies keep morphing, too — they get fat and thin and tall and short all within a matter of seconds. My parents are there, somewhere, and my sisters, too, but I can’t find them right now because a giant man with six faces is coming right for me.

None of these visions are real. I’m actually lying on my back with a heart monitor taped to my chest in an ibogaine clinic in Rosarito, Mexico. Earlier in the night I swallowed three pills of ibogaine — an alkaloid derived from the African Tabernanthe iboga plant — and I’m in the middle of what feels like the most demented fever dream my mind could possibly imagine. Which is exactly what it is.

Last week, the banking heir Matthew Mellon died on his way to an ibogaine clinic in Cancun, where he was to receive treatment for his $100,000-a-month OxyContin addiction. He reportedly died before he checked into the center, which he had been treated at in the past. Although he was not receiving ibogaine therapy when he died, his passing has brought attention to the plant medicine, which has been used as a remedy for opioid addiction since the 1960s. Every year, more and more desperate Americans hooked on heroin and pharmaceuticals like OxyContin flood to clinics in Mexico and other countries to receive the cutting-edge addiction treatment. Ibogaine is illegal in the US, but it’s unregulated in many other countries, including Mexico.

I found myself at the Ibogaine Institute in Rosarito not because I was addicted to heroin, but because I was anxious and depressed and couldn’t figure out why.

I’d been working as a journalist in New York for years, having climbed every ladder I thought I was supposed to climb, but found myself leaning against the wrong wall. I was drinking way too much and waking up each day wishing I hadn’t. I felt like I had lost touch with my soul, so I quit my job and went in search of it. But what followed was even worse — a year of not working with no idea what I was going to do with my life.

I’d taken Xanax to calm me in the past, but it was only masking the problem. I wanted to dig out.

I decided to seek out alternative cures, so I went to a conference on psychedelic science in Oakland last April, where doctors and researchers shared the most cutting-edge science on the subject of psychedelics and mental health. I was fascinated, but I wasn’t feeling any better. So when a man came up to me in the hotel lounge and asked what was wrong, I surprised myself by being honest. “I am filled with anxiety and I don’t know why,” I said.

“You know,” he responded, “ibogaine can treat that.”

I had heard about ibogaine and its positive effects on people suffering from heroin addiction, but the man explained it can be used to treat other issues, too. He explained that one “flood dose” of ibogaine can reset the neural pathways in the brain, breaking the destructive thought patterns that keep a person locked into bad habits. The man, Scott Ankeny, explained that he ran an ibogaine clinic near Tijuana and I should come do a treatment and write about it.

I couldn’t imagine anything more anxiety-fueling than the thought of flying to a rehab in Tijuana to take a psychedelic plant. But Ankeny kept in touch with me, and a month later, when I was in a particularly bad state, I figured I had nothing to lose.

So in May of last year, I checked myself into the Clinic. Consisting of a few connected houses on a cliff overlooking the Pacific Ocean, it didn’t feel like a clinic. The other patients were from all over the country and they seemed really happy, considering where we were. I, meanwhile, was nervous and wondering if I’d made a huge mistake.

A month’s stay at the institute includes not only ibogaine, which adherents claim detoxes the body and mind, but also a rigid schedule of classes meant to teach new coping skills to handle stress without turning to drugs. Yoga was offered daily, along with qigong, an ancient Chinese system of breathing and movement. An acupuncturist visited a few times a week. Everyone was expected to attend therapy and AA sessions. The clinic made full use of other alternative medicines, too. A week after the ibogaine session, patients would be given 5-MeO-DMT, a psychedelic made from the venom of a desert toad that, when smoked, brings on an emotional and often deeply spiritual experience. And a week after that, they would also take part in three ceremonies administering ayahuasca, a hallucinogen used for therapeutic and spiritual insights. The whole program was designed by Ankeny (who has since left to work with another clinic) not only to detox but to heal the body, mind and spirit.

In between classes, patients talked about movies, life, their families, their sadnesses. Laughter rang through the houses all day. But some were also angry. Getting clean, seeing what damage they’d caused to themselves and others was painful.

When I first arrived, I was given an EKG to make sure my heart could handle ibogaine because one of its side effects is that it can slow the heart to a point where heart failure, especially among those with an abnormal heartbeat, is a possibility. I wasn’t at risk, but nonetheless every patient is hooked up to a heart monitor throughout the treatment.

Five days into my stay, I was led to a room with a bed where a nurse hooked me up to an IV so I’d receive fluids and nutrients before treatment while she explained the procedure.

I was told I’d take three pills and a little bit later I’d begin to see swirling patterns on the ceiling, which meant the medicine was in my system. The actual trip would begin when I heard a buzzing noise, she said. An ambulance was parked outside the clinic and a paramedic would be on hand throughout my treatment, just in case.

I lay down, put on my blindfold, and said a prayer. While I waited, I heard a motorcycle pull up behind the house. Then another. I called the nurse over. “Why is there a motorcycle gang outside?” I asked. She smiled. “There’s no gang,” she said. “That’s the medicine kicking in. That noise is inside your own head.”

It was so loud, I couldn’t believe it. Moments later I saw two giant wooden doors descend from the ceiling. Slowly they opened. I left the bed and floated through them. The trip had begun. Then I was in the gauntlet of people, a looping maze that went down at first, and then up, endlessly. I must have talked to 1,000 people that night.

After what I’m guessing was about six hours, the medicine finally wore off. I had hardly moved, although I asked the nurses later and they told me that I was talking out loud at some points and laughing even. I sat up, took off my blindfold and felt .?.?. clear. My head, normally filled with so many racing thoughts, was completely quiet.

"Researchers are not entirely sure how ibogaine works. One theory is that it may suppress an enzyme that causes the flu-like symptoms associated with opioid withdrawal," said Dana Beal, a science writer and ibogaine expert. "It may also regenerate cells damaged by drug use."

In addition, ibogaine-induced hallucinations reportedly help users see their lives in a new way, allowing them to understand what caused them to use in the first place.

But there are risks involved. There are no hard numbers, but University of California, San Diego, researcher Thomas Kingsley Brown, who studies ibogaine, estimates that about 30 people have died from taking the medication for opioid addiction since the 1960s, when it was found to treat heroin addiction.

“The majority of ibogaine-related deaths are cardiac-related, generally involving preexisting cardiovascular disease or problems with electrolyte levels often caused by poor nutrition, which drug users often have,” said Kenneth Alper, a psychopharmacologist at NYU who studies ibogaine. “Meaning, many of these risk factors are to a great extent preventable,” he said. “Appropriate screening, preparation, monitoring during treatment and personnel trained to deal with cardiac issues are needed when administering the plant medicine, but even in that perfect world you may still have fatalities.”

At the same time, addicts have to weigh the risks of ibogaine treatment against the dangers of heroin and other opioids. According to data released this month by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, drug overdoses in the US have increased by 13.3 percent from August 2016 to August 2017, and now total 67,344 deaths per year. Drug overdoses now kill more people than gun homicides and car crashes combined. The vast majority of those overdoses are caused by opiates, said Alper.

Kingsley Brown estimates that, conservatively, about 12,000 to 15,000 people have undergone ibogaine treatment in the West since 1962. There are roughly 80 clinics worldwide, he said. Others believe the number of patients is much higher. But everyone agrees the use of ibogaine as a treatment is growing exponentially as the opioid epidemic explodes. Meanwhile, 15 percent of the Ibogaine Institute’s clientele are people suffering from depression and anxiety, said Thom Leonard, who now runs the clinic.

“Ibogaine does bring with it a serious risk and should never be taken lightly,” Leonard said. “But with the proper screening and testing carried out, that risk drops to an acceptable level. And if you look at the fact that the average life expectancy of an IV drug user is somewhere around 6 years and overdose has taken over as the No. 1 cause of accidental death in the United States, it starts to become clear that the minimal risk involved in undergoing an ibogaine treatment done in a safe setting by a reputable provider is the least dangerous choice an addict can make.”

A study by Alper and Kingsley Brown published last year in Mexico found that among the 30 addict participants, 50 percent reported no opiate use one month after ibogaine treatment and 33 percent reported no use after three months. According to the results of that study, ibogaine’s rate of success is higher than traditional anti-addiction medications, like methadone and suboxone, which only 15 to 25 percent of addicts said led to no opioid use four to six weeks after stopping treatment, according to Alper.

People do relapse after ibogaine treatment. Many return to their lives only to be tempted to use again by the same triggers that got to them before. But it’s different, said one former patient who asked not to be named. “Ibogaine isn’t a cure,” she said. “I can say that for me, I could never put more than a few days sober together for 28 years. After ibogaine, I’ve used heroin one time this year. I also didn’t enjoy it, and I immediately asked for help and am sober again now.”

Kevin Franciotti’s oxycodone habit turned into heroin addiction in 2010 while he was a student at Northeastern. He claims the ibogaine he took at a clinic in Mexico in 2011 stopped his addiction, at least for a time.

When the inevitable craving for a fix came, he wanted to call his dealer. “Previously it would be off to the races, no fighting it,” he said. But this time he thought, “I’m going to wait five minutes to make this phone call.”

Five years later, he did have a relapse. But after about six months, he pulled out of it. He credits ibogaine with a fundamental life change that allowed him to be open-minded enough to go through 12-step recovery. Now 31, he is at The New School, getting a master’s in clinical psychology.

Almost one year after ibogaine treatment, I can also attest to the plant’s positive effects. I’m calmer now and more naturally drawn to nicer, more loving people. I guess maybe I’m nicer and more loving myself. I still have moments where my brain kicks into high gear, filled with thoughts it has no business thinking. But I can control them better now.

But my experience is nothing compared with my fellow patients at the clinic. While there, I saw addicts walk in ashen and grey, their cheeks hollow, their eyes dull. After treatment, they smiled. They gained weight. Their eyes sparkled. And many have since turned their lives around.

Jeremy Shank, 43, of Seattle, is one of them. After battling a heroin addiction for 12 years while living on the streets and “welcoming death,” he has been clean since visiting the Ibogaine Institute in April last year and is now a college student.

“I’d like to say that these plant medicines gave me back my life,” Shank told me. “But really I can’t say that, because this is so much better than the life I had before.”

https://nypost.com/2018/04/21/is-a-m...-to-addiction/

Last edited:
bladerunner+BR3.jpg

Ibogaine treatment is a game changer

by Kevin Garcia | Psychedelic Times

Ibogaine is a plant psychedelic extracted from the root bark of Tabernanthe iboga, a shrub found in central Africa. In the U.S., ibogaine is listed as a Schedule I drug, meaning it is considered to have high abuse potential and no medical value. In New Zealand, Mexico, the Bahamas, Canada, Australia, Spain, Brazil, Costa Rica, and South Africa, ibogaine treatment is currently used in clinical and medical contexts for treating substance use disorders (SUD).

The largest observational study to date evaluating the efficacy of ibogaine treatment for opioid use disorder (OUD) was recently published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Psychedelic Studies. The study, published in September 2017, enrolled 88 former patients with chronic opioid use (75 percent had used 4 years or more) who had previously received ibogaine treatment at the Treatment Center in Mexico between 2012 and 2015. The collaborative study, conducted by members from the John Hopkins Behavioral Pharmacology Research Unit, and the Yale School of Medicine, shows promising evidence for ibogaine as a treatment for people struggling with opioid addiction.

The study found that the majority of individuals experienced a drastic reduction or elimination of withdrawal symptoms, and 41 percent reported sustained abstinence from opioids at the time of survey, being opioid free for at least 6 months or more. The authors found that about one third of participants reported never using any opioids again after ibogaine treatment. In this one third that reported never using opioids again, at the time of follow up, 54 percent had maintained abstinence for at least 1 year and 31 percent had been abstinent for 2 or more years. Although 48 percent of the full sample reported a lapse or relapse after treatment, they reported decreased consumption from pretreatment levels.

The results of the study are very encouraging when compared to traditional opioid maintenance therapies (OMT) and considering the magnitude of the current national opioid crisis. 66% of the sample of ibogaine patients had previously attempted treatment with Suboxone, and 42 percent had tried methadone, the most common forms of OMT. In contrasting ibogaine to mainstream approaches to addressing addiction, 85 percent said that looking back they would have made the same decision to take ibogaine again and 71 percent indicated that ibogaine was “much better” compared to other treatments they had tried.

There are no published controlled clinical trials to investigate ibogaine as a therapeutic medicine, and clinical data is limited to two open label case series, both of which show that a single dose of ibogaine significantly reduces opioid withdrawal symptoms in most patients. Ibogaine is not expected to be legalized in the U.S. any time soon, but considering the urgency of a suitable treatment for opioid misuse, the tides may change in the coming years. After learning of the benefits of ibogaine treatment, more and more individuals are seeking to raise awareness regarding the future of ibogaine research and treatment in the U.S.

https://psychedelictimes.com/harm-re...-game-changer/

Last edited:
people-are-using-a-1-test-strip-to-check-their-dr-2-2840-1525802147-0_dblbig.jpg

Low-tech, low-cost test strips show promise for reducing fentanyl overdoses.

Ibogaine helped me kick my opioid addiction overnight

When I started doing heroin and other opioids in 2004, I never imagined that it would take thousands of dollars and a trip to Guatemala to finally break free from drugs 7 years later. By that point, I had tried 12-step programs and quit cold turkey countless times, only to start again a short time later. My parents had spent a lot of money sending me to rehab after rehab. Nothing worked.

Most rehab programs take a one-size-fits-all approach. Either you submit to the system or you're guaranteed to end up in jail or dead. There's no middle ground or room for personal exploration. That philosophy never resonated with me, so I could not connect with the 12-step program. I would relapse every time.

But ibogaine is different because it addresses the biochemical issues that rehab and 12-step programs don't, and is said to "reset" serotonin and dopamine receptors which, in the case of opioid addicts, have been damaged by years of drug abuse. It also reduces about 80 percent of the withdrawal symptoms, like vomiting, sweats and body aches, usually associated with coming off opioids.

Ibogaine is a substance extracted from the bark of the root of the African shrub iboga and although it's illegal in the U.S., it's been used in healing and initiation rituals for thousands of years. In large doses, it induces a dream-like state, and some people have visions.

I called a number of different clinics around the world that administer ibogaine legally and decided on a clinic in Guatemala City. I felt a personal connection with the guy I spoke to on the phone there. He asked a lot of questions about me and listened carefully to what I had to say. My mom paid for the nearly $4,000 treatment and for my airfare.

Before I decided to try ibogaine, I had been living in Colombia, South America, with my boyfriend for a year and a half. I had been off drugs for about six months before I moved there, but in Colombia the anxiety and depression I'd always had was enhanced by the circumstances. I was having issues in my relationship and I felt isolated in a country where I didn't speak the language well. Opioids, like morphine and fentanyl, were the only thing that gave me relief from my inner pain. I felt like I needed to be sedated just to get through the day. I was hiding my drug use from my boyfriend. I barely ate, and when I did, my diet consisted only of ice cream. I lost tons of weight. My life had become a series of dramatic events. So many people were upset with me.

What it's like to take ibogaine

In November 2011, I checked into the clinic in Guatemala City and the clinicians started my ibogaine treatment the next day. Every clinic does things a little differently. Some adhere to strict medical protocol with trained staff and machines monitoring your vital signs; others do things according to a west African religious tradition. The clinic I went to was of the medical model.

Over the next two or three hours, I was given several capsules containing ibogaine powder. Pretty quickly after I took the first dose, I fell into a dream-like state in between waking and sleeping.

In one of my visions, the room I was in at the clinic transformed into a medical examination room, but it was crumbling. I had a vision in which I was alone and hooked up to various wires and devices. I started pulling them out of me and I climbed down off an examination table. I went to the window and when I looked out I saw a decaying, post-apocalyptic city.

When you're going through heavy drug addiction like I was, there's a lot of negative energy around you. You feel really weighed down with guilt, shame, and hopelessness. That's what my vision was about, it symbolized me finally removing some of the negative energy that I'd been carrying around for more than a decade.

During the treatment, I vomited a couple of times, which is fairly common. An aide had to help me to the bathroom because I completely lost my sense of balance. Taking ibogaine is not an easy experience, physically or psychologically. A lot of times the visions bring your past traumas and buried emotions to the forefront and you're forced to deal with them.

Unfortunately, the clinic that I chose was not abiding by many of the safety protocols that I now know need to be followed. Ibogaine can be dangerous because it can cause a low pulse rate and even cardiac arrest. People have died during treatment. In the U.S. there are people doing "underground" treatments in homes and hotel rooms, which can be even more dangerous because there's no doctor present.

In Guatemala, they gave me too high of a dose of ibogaine and my heart developed an irregular rhythm. Even though a doctor was present at the clinic, I suffered six cardiac arrests and ended up in the ICU in Guatemala for two weeks. As I learned later, what happened to me was completely avoidable had they used proper safety protocols. Thankfully, I haven't had any heart issues since then.

My new life

I woke up in the hospital knowing that ibogaine had worked for me. My cravings for opioids were pretty much gone, and I haven't felt tempted. That was five years ago and I haven't touched drugs or alcohol since then.

After my treatment, I felt like I had a purpose in life. I wanted to spread the word about ibogaine and help keep people safe in clinics that administered it. I moved to San Francisco and got my EMT certification, and I took some classes to learn more about the heart. Then I worked in ibogaine clinics in South Africa, Costa Rica and Mexico.

In 2015, I moved to New York City to pursue a master's degree to become a therapist. I want to work with people struggling with addiction. I still work with ibogaine through an organization called the Global Ibogaine Therapy Alliance (GITA), which has published guidelines for clinics and treatments providers.

My advice for anyone considering taking ibogaine is to go to a clinic that has a doctor on staff, uses heart monitoring equipment and is located near a hospital. If you must use underground treatment (if you can't leave the country for legal reasons or don't have the financial resources to travel) choose someone with a lot of experience administering ibogaine, and who uses a pulse monitor and has a defibrillator and CPR certification.

I'm very grateful to have found ibogaine when I did. The way that ibogaine initiated the healing process of my brain chemistry allowed me to let go of much of the shame and guilt I felt after years of addiction. Being able to skip the majority of the withdrawal is nothing short of a miracle. Usually this process goes on for months and it's incredibly difficult to stay away from drugs because of the constant pain and sickness that you feel. I'm convinced that ibogaine is the future for opiate dependency treatment and I think it has the potential to help those with other substance dependencies and even those suffering from depression or PTSD.

When I see people who struggle with opioid addiction, I can't help but reach out. I messaged a heroin addict on Facebook just the other day and asked her if she knew about ibogaine. I'll do that in the middle of the night when I can't sleep. I'm just very passionate about it. There's such a lack of good information about how people can get help. I want to spread the word about alternative treatments like ibogaine.

https://www.womansday.com/health-fitness/wellness/a57087/ibogaine-treatment-for-opioid-addiction/

banner-itin-CA-SF-to-LAX-via-the-coast-Big_Sur_Coast_California.jpg

Overcoming Heroin Addiction - My Story

by Aeden Smith-Ahearn

I was a heroin addict since my teenage years. My parents spent loads of money shipping me all around the country to different rehabs, none of which actually worked long-term. I would get a couple of months clean then somehow end up neck deep in addiction, not knowing how I got back there. It was cyclical.

The time came where my parents suggested Suboxone or Methadone. I'd seen how it was a lifelong crutch for friends, and that getting off of it seemed impossible. Out of desperation, and intensive internet searching, I came across Ibogaine treatment. At this point I had surrendered to the idea that if it works, great! If it doesn't, it doesn't, but Ill give it a shot.

I came to Mexico in November of 2012 very uncertain and skeptical, but I tried to keep an open mind. My parents worried for me so much, they can only take so many years of my abuse towards myself and them. My dad told me this was my last chance. That scared me. I needed to make this work.

So, I applied for treatment. My medical screening came back, and I was qualified. I began Ibogaine treatment for my addiction the same day that I arrived in Mexico. I was nervous.

The medicine gave me visions about my life and who I was as a person. Stuff I didn't want to look at or accept. It showed me how I treated myself and those closest to me. I could begin to see what I was running from and trying to mask with drugs. Things that Im still changing in myself to this day. I felt so awful about what I had done with my past, but at the end of my experience the medicine told me that, even after everything I had done to my family and myself, there was a second chance.

When I got out of bed the next day the sun was up. The ocean was there just staring at me. It was beautiful. The world, which I was numb to, was visible again. I became so grateful for everything in my life, to have a family and friends, to have food and a roof over my head, just to be alive. These were things I was taking for granted.

I felt like a new person, or the person I was before I was torn apart by drug addiction. And I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms. I decided against going home so early in my recovery. So, I went to another clinic for aftercare where I helped out, got more acquainted with myself and others who had completed Ibogaine treatment.

Eventually, I decided I wanted to work with people who had the same issues as me and help get them into treatment. Since then I've worked with some 1,000+ patients. Ibogaine works.​

Last edited:
ketamine-treatment-for-crps.jpg

Ibogaine - A Brief History

Ibogaine is derived from an African plant that has psychedelic properties called Tabernanthe iboga.

The native peoples of West Africa have used this iboga root, in the form of a tea, to induce spiritual awareness. It has been the core of their spiritual ceremonies for centuries.

However, in the 1960s, Ibogaine, extracted from the iboga root, was found to interrupt addiction.

While experimenting with different substances Howard Lotsof, who at the time was a heroin addict, discovered that ingesting Ibogaine eliminated his withdrawal symptoms and his body’s dependency on heroin.

After this realization, he began treating many of his friends who were also heroin addicts with the same results—they were able to overcome the horrible symptoms of withdrawal and almost immediately break free of opioid dependence.

To Lotsof, this was a massive discovery, and he spent the rest of his life studying Ibogaine and its effects on the addicted brain.

In order to understand exactly how Ibogaine works we need to take a look at the brain and exactly how addiction affects it.

How ibogaine works

As an alternative to enduring this extended period of painful detox, many addicts turn to Ibogaine. Ibogaine targets the area of the brain associated with addiction. By “resetting” the brain, Ibogaine is able to renew the neurons and pathways back to their pre-addicted state.

For the addict, this means that Ibogaine eliminates 80% or more of all withdrawal symptoms almost immediately after the dose is taken.

This means that Ibogaine can often offer addicts not only a fresh take on addiction treatment, but also a holistic method of detoxing quickly without the pain of withdrawals.

According to Mental Health Daily, “The most notable potential benefit is that a single dose of Ibogaine could lead to long-term suppression of opiate/opioid cravings such that former opioid/opiate users are able to maintain abstinence for an indefinite duration.”

But if ibogaine is so effective at treating addiction, why isn’t it available in the USA?

Freedom from addiction

Ibogaine can help the brain return to its naturally balanced state much faster than waiting for the body to recover on its own. But it is not a cure and it will not force an addict to stay clean.

Freedom from addiction to drugs and alcohol is a lifelong process that requires a different approach for each person. Ibogaine, combined with a rehab or aftercare program, can often be one of the most promising treatment options, especially for those who have tried other treatment programs with little or no success.

Ibogaine can help the brain return to its naturally balanced state much faster than waiting for the body to recover on its own. But it is not a cure and it will not force an addict to stay clean.

Freedom from addiction to drugs and alcohol is a lifelong process that requires a different approach for each person. Ibogaine, combined with a rehab or aftercare program, can often be one of the most promising treatment options, especially for those who have tried other treatment programs with little or no success.

With new discoveries being made in alternatives like Ibogaine, there’s more hope for long-term sobriety than ever before. Every addict deserves a chance to live a sober and successful life. There are many treatment options available and Ibogaine is just one of them. Each addict must educate themselves and find the right treatment for them.

https://www.psychedelicadventure.net/2017/12/ibogaine-therapy-and-opioid-epidemic.html

Last edited:
d41586-020-03404-z_18661610.jpg

Ibogaine: A call to action

by Arnold Hesnod | The Fix

An inside look at the history, myths and reality of ibogaine.

If you want to trace the more recent history of ibogaine, look at its evolution from relative obscurity to a source of popular discussion.

We are in fact witnesses to a worldwide revolution in the use of ibogaine, a shift from 1,000 treatment episodes to over 100 self-styled “ibogaine clinics” that treat 1,000 drug-dependent individuals each year.

Aside from its use in Gabon and Cameroon, aside from its consumption among the indigenous people of West Africa to reduce fatigue, hunger and thirst, the exoticism of ibogaine – including its use in spiritual initiation ceremonies – is a thing of the past.

Ibogaine is now a substance at the forefront of medical treatment and media coverage, as well as a source of study and serious scholarship.

The origins of ibogaine: know the facts

The pharmacology of ibogaine is extensive, the subject of medical research in 1901 and a topic for publication in scientific literature amid the early part of the 20th century.

From its introduction in France during the 1930s, where it would become a commercial drug (with 5-8 mg of ibogaine per tablet), to its removal from the marketplace in 1968, ibogaine is not some mysterious substance for which there is scant information and even less laboratory testing.

Indeed, the use of ibogaine to treat heroin addiction is the product of science: Its validation by Howard Lotsof, by way of his own attempt to treat his addiction to heroin, is a seminal moment in the history of ibogaine; a milestone in which a single dose of ibogaine would end this man's craving, both physical and psychological, for heroin; an occasion for inspiration – a catalyst for further experimentation – where Lotsof would earn a series of patents relating to the use of ibogaine, thereby impressing the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) to investigate ibogaine as a potential treatment for drug dependence among humans.

This backstory is important because, despite attempts to delegitimize ibogaine and/or depict it as too dangerous to use, there is a lot of credible science – and plenty of support from mainstream scientific institutions – involving ibogaine.

For example: The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) would later permit Dr. Deborah Mash, Professor of Neurology and Molecular and Cellular Pharmacology at the Miller School of Medicine at the University of Miami, to conduct pharmacokinetic and safety trials using ibogaine on human subjects within the United States.

While a professional triumph, and a testament to Dr. Mash's tenacity in the face of several bureaucratic hurdles, clinical trials of ibogaine would nonetheless stop in 1995 because of NIDA's refusal to provide additional funding.

The first medically-based ibogaine clinic: formalizing the process

Despite the conflict between the go-ahead from the FDA and the withdrawal of financial assistance from NIDA, Dr. Mash would prove to be true to her mission; which is to say, she would continue her research of ibogaine through an offshore, patient-funded, experimental medical facility on the island of Saint Kitts.

This fact is no mere footnote to history because, in contrast to the prior administration of ibogaine among a small group of friends and paid “sitters,” Dr. Mash would launch her Healing Visions program and collect data concerning over 300 treatment episodes.

The clinic would later move to Cancun, Mexico, to decrease costs and increase availability to patients worldwide.

Instead of running an expensive series of treatment “rounds,” where researchers, clinicians and support personnel would have to fly to the Caribbean to attend to patients, there would be a safe, affordable and medically based facility to deliver treatment year-round.

The ibogaine treatment scene today: a study in contrasts

Despite the achievements of the past, and with all due praise and credit to the scientists responsible for championing ibogaine, misinformation continues to be a plague unto itself: It distorts what ibogaine can do, while at the same time leaving an enormous void involving safety protocols and treatment methods.

Again, despite the efforts of a valiant community of amateur enthusiasts, the current situation is cause for anxiety, not acclaim or adulation, because of the challenges that confront a prospective patient.

A simple online search for Ibogaine Treatment Options yields results more in keeping with a theater of the absurd than a forum of medical legitimacy and patient safety.

Please recognize, too, that ibogaine is an unlicensed and unregulated experimental medication: There is little or no oversight of this substance.

Nor is there a regulatory body with the resources necessary to act as a watchdog to ensure safety among a multitude of clinics worldwide, where national boundaries conflict with the notion of a universal agency – an international organization – with the ability to enforce common standards of care.

To make matters worse, there are so-called “ibogaine experts,” who claim that ibogaine can cure cancer and diabetes, reverse aging, act as a “smart drug” (with no side effects, of course) and solve any other condition.

By resorting to the tactics of a purveyor of snake oil, by emulating the ethics (or lack thereof) of a used car salesman, by operating without fear of consequences, by putting up a website and outsourcing the writing of copy for that site to some content mill, by posting plagiarized material and enveloping everything in the language of pseudoscience –– by doing all of these things, and by preying upon the sick and the innocent, these unsavory individuals undermine the very real advantages of ibogaine.

A way forward: safety and transparency

Without a set of fundamental safety protocols, and without a demonstrable record of experience, expertise and compassion, prospective patients should avoid those places that lack these features; they should not contact the owners or operators of those “clinics,” where the emphasis is on money, not medicine or morals.

To be clear: Ibogaine can be dangerous and even fatal, when administered by an untrained provider. (Dosing patients, many of whom are not in good health to begin with, is an invitation for disaster. Giving them ibogaine, Ayahuasca, ketamine or 5-MeO-DMT – bombarding them with chemicals – is reprehensible.)

What potential patients should demand, and what I seek to emphasize, is trust through verification.

In other words, there must be total transparency about a center's treatment methodologies, in-house staff and medical personnel, physical accommodations and irrefutable evidence of that facility's integrity, from the academic credentials of its physicians to the diligence of its nurses and assistants.

That clarity will benefit patients and professionals alike.

It represents the professionalism we should highlight, the accountability we must possess and the integrity we must protect.

Now is the time to make true the promise of safety and transparency.

Arnold Hesnod has a background in cellular biology, molecular pharmacology and #1ESS. When he's not busy writing about addiction, the internet, nutraceuticals and machine intelligence, he still tries to maintain the MindVox servers.

https://www.thefix.com/ibogaine-call-action-and-demand-integrity

Last edited:
eKgXHMxd_400x400.jpg

Dr. Bruno Chaves speaks at MAPS' 2017 Psychedelic Science Conference in Oakland, California

Good afternoon. First of all, I want to thank MAPS for the invitation. Today I will talk about what we are doing in Brazil about bringing ibogaine to be, let's say, [an] above ground treatment to people. So, that's why we ask if finally in Brazil, is ibogaine stepping out from the underground? I am a medical provider of ibogaine since 1994. I am the first medical provider in Brazil, and I think I am the first provider in Brazil, medical or non-medical. I've done more than 1000 treatments.

In Brazil, we don't have too much heroin addiction, we have more stimulent addiction, like cocaine and crack cocaine. So everything that I will talk about our work there, I will be talking about stimulant addiction. We've published some works on ibogaine, a retrospective study, in 2014. I helped to write the clinical guidelines published by GITA, and we've recently published a politative study on treatment, on ibogaine. I'm a former GITA board member.

Brazil has the most rigorous laws about prescription medicines in the world, and this happens because some time ago there were a lot of women who got pregnant after consuming birth control pills containing wheat flour. That was a big scandal in the country, and after that, ANVISA, which is our FDA equivalent, it changed all the regulations about prescription medicines. So it's easier in Brazil for you to get a drug like cocaine or crack than to buy a medicine if you don't have a prescription. This was the birth control pills that were contaminated with wheat flour...it happened in 1998. And after that, they published this law that we call article 273, that says that it's forbidden to sell, or to administer, to use or prescribe or take with you any kind of medicines that are unregistered in the ANVISA, or are from unknown origin. And it is so rigorous that in some situations you get more time in jail for prescribing a non-registered medicine than for a registered one. It's very, very rigorous.

What is a registered medicine in Brazil? It's a medicine that was previously evaluated by the ANVISA, who will analyze the documentation, the clinical trials, the scientific advances. They are more prone to approve a medicine if it's already approved in another country, but there are some medicines that are only approved in Brazil. They see the package, and they see the labels, and if all the requirements are fitted, ANVISA declares that this is a registered medicine. After that, the doctors can prescribe it, and it can be sold, and there are various levels of control on that. Some medicines only need a simple prescription, and others need to be prescribed in special forms that are provided to the clinicians under request.

So it's possible to do the ibogaine legal treatment in Brazil because it's not forbidden, it's not controlled, it's not banned, but it's not registered until now as a prescription medicine. But ANVISA allows people to use non-registered medicines if we meet some requirements that they ask. Basically, we have these two laws that state that non-registered medicines can be used since they are bought in the name of the patient - the medicine must be imported in the name of the patient - in the exact amount of medicine that patient will use, and this importation must be for a single use or for a limited time of use, and the maximum time of 6 months.

This situation doesn't apply to ibogaine because ibogaine normally we use only once, so it fits the law. In Brazil, people are using this law to import a lot of unregistered medicines - medicines for appetite, ibogaine, and medical marijuana preparations. So we import ibogaine to Brazil legally. It arrives in a box that goes through the customs and through ANVISA, and every time they ask a lot of questions, but they allow us to use it. As you can see in the stamp, it's a national agency on sanitary vigilence, "ANVISA liberated" without opening. The first times we imported it 20 years ago, people used the ANVISA at the airport, they used it to open the package and look at the bottle of the medicine, but now they are used to that - they know that we do it - so they are releasing it without opening the box.

But this kind of situation, this kind of importation, has some disadvantages. It takes a lot of time for the medicine to arrive in Brazil and to be released in the airport. The patient must wait all this time. The average time is 30 days, but sometimes it took around 3 months for the medicine to be released. There are costs because you must hire brokers and people to help release the medicine in the airport. If you use an amount that is less than what you bought, you must discard what you didn't use, which makes the patient pay for more than they really need. And ANVISA asks for a medical prescription to accept the importation. So this makes the cost higher than we would like it to be, but at this moment, it's the only way to import it legally.

In 2014 we published a retrospective study on ibogaine, showing a good affect on maintaining a distance from cocaine and crack cocaine. During that year, around 62% of the patients remained clean. And after that, helped by people - activists, psychologists, psychiatrists - people who understand the need for a shift in the treatment of addiction in Brazil - they helped us to talk with the government. We went to the State Council on Drugs Policy, and we went to the National Secretary on Drugs Policy and the Ministry of Justice, and we explained it for the people how ibogaine works, we showed them the study, we asked for more funds for research, and we asked for some kind of facilitation in this regulation - we wanted for regulation not to be so hard for us to try to lower the costs. We showed them that ibogaine really changes the QTc interval and EKG, so the State Council on Drugs Policy - they published some resolutions. It works only for the Sao Paulo state, but anyway, they said :

1. The use of hallucinogenic substances for treatment of problematic use of psychoactive substances should be considered an option that requires scientific research.

2. Scientific research with the use of hallucinogenic substances, including the development of options for treatment of substance abuse, should be encouraged financially by development institutions in order to ensure the realization of quantitative research, qualitative and randomized controlled clinical trials.

3. The semi-synthetic or synthetic compounds based on active principles of Tabernanthe iboga and other species of the genus Tabernaemontana (Aponynaceae family) must have their therapeutic potential in the treatment of problematic psychoactive substance use investigated through scientific research.

4. The semi-synthetic or synthetic compounds based on the active principles of Tabernanthe iboga and other species of the genus Tabernaemontana (Aponynaceae family), particularly ibogaine formulations, can only be administered for the treatment of the abuse of psychoactive substances in a hospital environment, with doctor's supervision and control, given the and good practice of the profession and good recommendations to clinical practice, including rigorous clinical, psychiatric and psychological assessment and psychotherapeutic monitoring.

It was interesting that this decision of the State Council had more repercussion in the U.S. than in Brazil, and in Brazil few people were aware of it, but in the U.S., we saw on the internet some posts talking about this situation, that it opens the door for ibogaine treatment. After that, at the end of 2016, we published a retrospective study - a qualitative study. We saw that the patients improved their quality of life. Even if they relapsed after ibogaine, their relapses were different, and the patients, most of the time, even after relapsing, they said that they felt different, and they felt that this relapse after taking ibogaine was different - that it was easier to get off again and to be clean again. So we measured in a quantitative study the percent, the amount of people that were clean. And in this politative study, we measured how people felt after ibogaine, even if relapsing. Most of the patients relayed that it was different, and even [if] relapsing, they thought that ibogaine had helped them.

So we are at this moment taking the next steps. We are trying to extend this regulation from Sao Paulo to other states. We are trying to somehow register the medicine. It's not easy to because it costs a lot of money - we think about 2 million dollars to register the medicine in ANVISA, because we need to show a lot of documents. We had a signal from ANVISA that maybe they could allow us to have what they said a fast track, which is maybe they will not ask for so many documents that they normally ask because they understand that it's an emergency. We have a lot of people in Brazil dealing with this problem. So it's possible - it's in negotiation at this moment - but it's possible that ANVISA will allow us to register the medicine and give us around 3 or 4 years to use it, and they could wait for this time for us to provide them the documentation. And we are trying to copy the MAPS's model on MDMA - we are trying to negotiate with ANVISA, that ibogaine treatment should be done in a controlled environment, with all the equipment necessary, and all the conditions necessary in the case of emergency.

I need to comment that all these years working with ibogaine, and more that a thousand treatments that I've done, I never saw a real emergency, I never saw a patient die. The worst thing I saw during a treatment was the patient vomiting a little more than the usual, but no problem. I think that this happens because we really [carefully] selected the patients who were going to do the treatment. We do a lot of clinical examinations, we do psychological evaluations, and we only allow people to take ibogaine if they are really in good health. We think that ibogaine treatment works like a minor surgery, so we do some pre-op operating examinations - like in a surgery of the stomach, or of the bladder, or anything in traditional medicine: If the patient is not ok, with blood pressure or with diabetes, for example, the surgery is postponed.

So we do the same thing. We only give ibogaine to the patient if he is really ok, if he is in good shape, in good health. So I think that this explains partially the reason why we never saw complications. We know that other places in Brazil, underground treatments, there was at least one death in Brazil, but it was not in our hospital. The patients that we treated, nothing really important happened. But we really need to convince the government that this is important, that this medicine really works. But what we feel is that the government agencies, they are open to hear us, and they are open to try to make some regulations.

In an ideal world it will be not necessary to be regulated, and people would have their responsibility to give or to take ibogaine, only in a proper situation. But as we see there are a lot of people who are looking more for profits than really worried about the health of the patients. We think that from the first moment, it would be good if we really follow the ANVISA regulations, and we show that it works, and that in the proper conditions, it's safe. And I think that after that, maybe the regulations could be loosened, and it will be more accessible for people.

The fact is that we need to bring ibogaine to the people, with not [such a] high cost, and easier for people to achieve it. It's important for people that they know that there is an option in the end that's a light in the end of the tunnel, and they must seek for a treatment that could be done in a good place, being cared [for] with responsible people, and in a place that they can feel that if anything different or dangerous happens, they will be cared [for]. What we see in some underground treatments in Brazil is that when people start to have some major reactions, normally the people 'put the patient away,' [or] dismiss the patient and say 'go home', like saying 'go and die at home.' And this is exactly what we don't want to happen. We want ibogaine to be seen like a normal treatment, like a lot of other medicines that are hard on the body.

I remember when I was studying medicine we used to treat pulmonary infection with a medicine that was highly cardiotoxic medicine, and the professors used to ask the internists to stay sitting by the patient during all the time that this medicine was dropping into the system of the patient, because we could have some kind of cardiac arrythmias. We want to do ibogaine like that. We want to have the authorization to do ibogaine since there's a person [there] to care for the patient, to be around. If anything different happens, the patient will be protected. And I think from all the treatments that I saw, I think that it's worth the risk. I think it's much more dangerous to take crack in the streets than to take ibogaine in a hospital.

Last edited:
Image-7-700x408_c.jpg

Studies show Ibogaine's promise for treating opioid addiction

SANTA CRUZ, CALIF. The promising results of two observational studies into treating opioid dependence with ibogaine, a naturally occurring psychedelic compound, have been published in the peer-reviewed American Journal of Drug and Alcohol Abuse. Sponsored by MAPS in Mexico and New Zealand, both studies show that ibogaine should be further studied as a potential treatment for opioid dependence through rigorously controlled studies.

Ibogaine is a psychoactive compound usually extracted from the West African Tabernanthe iboga plant. In animals, a single dose of ibogaine decreases signs of opioid withdrawal and produces sustained reductions in the self-administration of heroin, morphine, cocaine, nicotine and alcohol. Ibogaine is illegal in the U.S., and legal but unregulated in Canada and Mexico. New Zealand, South Africa, and Brazil authorize the use of ibogaine by licensed medical practitioners. While its mechanism of action is not yet fully understood, it differs from standard opioid agonist treatments such as methadone and buprenorphine which maintain dependence, and thus may show promise as an innovative pharmacotherapy for opioid addiction.

The results are particularly notable given the growing opioid epidemic, which the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate caused 91 deaths per day in the United States in 2016, and which has been recognized as a health policy priority by the White House Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis.

The Mexico study, published on May 25, showed that ibogaine administration was associated with substantive effects on opioid withdrawal symptoms and drug use in subjects for whom other treatments had been unsuccessful. Using the Addiction Severity Index and Subjective Opioid Withdrawal Scale as primary outcome measures, the study enrolled 30 participants who received ibogaine treatment at an independent clinic in Mexico. 12 out of 30 participants reported 75% reductions in their drug use 30 days following treatment, and 33% reported no opioid use three months later. The paper is co-authored by Thomas Kingsley Brown, Ph.D. (University of California, San Diego) and Kenneth Alper, Ph.D.

As one participant in the Mexico study reported: "Iboga could give an opiate addict several months to half a year of freedom from craving, and a period of time in which to get their life together and learn to face things straightforwardly, directly and honestly. Iboga will not do the work for you."

The New Zealand study, published on April 12, showed that a single ibogaine treatment could reduce opioid withdrawal symptoms and achieve either cessation from opioids or sustained, reduced use for up to 12 months following treatment. The results indicate that ibogaine may have a significant pharmacological effect on opiate withdrawal. All participants in the study described their ibogaine experience in positive terms. The analysis includes data from 14 out of 15 participants enrolled, with one participant disqualified, and one who died during treatment while under the supervision of a qualified medical practitioner.

A number of ibogaine treatment deaths have occurred outside of medically supervised environments. Although there was no evidence that the deceased participant had a preexisting cardiac condition, the coroners report suggested that the death was likely related to ibogaine ingestion, though not necessarily to cardiotoxicity. Though an experienced physician, the practitioner nonetheless was adjudged to have failed in their duty of care, through a failure to appropriately monitor the patient, according to a second investigation into the death. The authors acknowledge the potential shortcoming of ibogaine treatment highlighted by the mortality associated with the therapy, especially in non-medical settings, specifically concerns about potential cardiovascular complications related to ibogaine's metabolism in the body.

Although the Mexico study had no adverse events, the authors acknowledge specific limitations to this study including the number of participants, the lack of a control group, and the reliance on self-reporting. The authors of both studies emphasize the need for further studies, stating that randomized controlled clinical studies are required to further explore ibogaine's potential as a legal, regulated treatment option in the U.S.

Ultimately, the studies conclude that given ibogaine's substantive treatment effect in opioid detoxification, its novel pharmacological mechanism of action, and its clinical effect in opioid-dependent subjects who have not satisfactorily responded to other treatments, ibogaine has promise for future research and development as a novel pharmacotherapy for opioid addiction.

Many more studies can be found here: https://ibosafe.org/resources/

Last edited:
Image-23-700x408_c.jpg

Is ibogaine treatment in Brazil finally stepping out from the underground?

by Dr. Bruno Rasmussen Chaves

Ibogaine, like other psychedelics, such as MDMA, ayahuasca, and psilocybin, has been shown to have important medicinal values. It is extracted from an African root and, besides its powerful mind-altering effects, it really appears to help people to quit drug abuse, sometimes after a single session, or, in less successful cases, helps stabilizing their use. This appears to happen with opiates, stimulants like cocaine and crack cocaine, alcohol, and even with process addictions, like gambling or eating disorders. For example ibogaine commonly stops cravings and withdrawal symptoms of opiate addiction in around 24–36 hours.

However, this treatment has some risks. Ibogaine affects heart rate, and sometimes people can have serious arrhythmias after taking it in inappropriate conditions. Ibogaine shouldn’t be given to people with some health issues, it shouldn’t be mixed with some medicines, and people must do certain lab tests before taking it; so, it is important to have medical supervision throughout the process.

Ibogaine is a scheduled drug in some countries, like the United States; but it is unregulated in the majority of them, such as Brazil, where it is unscheduled, although not yet recognized as a medicine. This status has stimulated a growing network of underground Ibogaine providers, sometimes providing treatments in less than ideal conditions.

I am a physician, a general practitioner, and gastroenterology specialist, who graduated in 1984; I have been working with ibogaine in Brazil since 1994. In the early days, it was totally unregulated; Brazil doesn’t even have a regulation agency, like Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in US. In 1997, ANVISA, the National Agency on Sanitary Vigilance, was founded, and, although it never totally regulated ibogaine, it left a door opened for its importation and medical use.

ANVISA allows the importation of ibogaine if the person who will take it has a medical prescription, and it is for personal, not commercial, use. This kind of importation, “for personal use only,” is legal, but it is bureaucratic and not cost effective. This is because ibogaine is not banned or scheduled, but simply unregulated. This means that it was possible for me to legally conduct more than 1000 ibogaine treatments since 1994. I used the plant medicine mainly for cocaine and crack cocaine users, since heroin and other opiates are not prevalent here.

During this period of time, I participated in a scientific study at the Federal University in Sao Paulo (UNIFESP) that studied the effects of ibogaine and evaluated the procedures of administration, including the reactions of the patients to the psychoactive substance, safety issues, and treatment outcomes. This work was published in November, 2014, in the Journal of Psychopharmacology.

The results were surprising: 75 patients taking mainly cocaine and crack cocaine were followed for a year; it was concluded that ibogaine treatment with psychotherapy is effective, with around 62% of the patients staying clean during the follow-up assessment; and safe, if it is done in a legal setting, in a hospital environment with proper medical supervision, and with good quality medicine. These results fit with another study, published in January 2017, that showed that ibogaine treatment, even when it doesn’t promote complete abstinence for substance abuse, improves the patient’s quality of life.

In January, 2016, based mainly in the 2014 study, and under the pressure of drug policy activists and researchers, the Sao Paulo’s State Council on Drug Policy, a government institution that manages the drug policy in the State of Sao Paulo, Brazil, published some resolutions (that don’t have the power of a law, but are nevertheless government recommendations) stating that more research should be done on ibogaine, and that ibogaine treatments should be done in a hospital, with medical and psychological support.

In August of 2016, there was a fatality apparently linked to ibogaine in an underground clinic in Brazil. Authorities closed the clinic subsequently, stating that it didn’t have appropriate environment, equipment, and staff necessary to deal with this kind of situation. More information about this event is expected as authorities investigate it further.

In November 2016, ANVISA banned all non-pharmaceutical ibogaine preparations, including homemade and unofficial lab preparations. Only pharmaceutical grade ibogaine, made under controlled procedures, is allowed to be used in a therapeutic setting. The medicine must have a clear origin and a purity certificate and documentation to be legally imported.

We have here the unfolding process of our goal is to make ibogaine fully legal and available to everyone who needs it in Brazil. We are not fully satisfied with all the bureaucracy, special authorizations and exceptions regulations needed to import such an effective and life-saving medicine. We want complete, cheaper, and non-bureaucratic access to treatments in safe, supervised sites. So, we decided to follow the medical path to ibogaine approval here in Brazil, since we think this will be the most effective approach.

In order to achieve this, there is a group in which I take part, working to “register” ibogaine as a medicine, under ANVISA’s guidance. This means proving to ANVISA that it works and that it’s safe, hopefully, leading ANVISA to recognize it as an official medicine. This would facilitate importation, minimize bureaucracy and costs, and would facilitate the use of ibogaine in hospitals all over the country. ANVISA will request a lot of documents and research with data about safety, effectiveness, and fabrication procedures in order to see if our efforts are sufficient to fit ANVISA’s criteria.

We are pretty sure that we will achieve this, and, in less than 5 years. Ibogaine will emerge from the underground to be an easy-to-access and valuable tool to help people with substance abuse problems to regain control of their lives, with treatments in safe places with appropriate and trained supervision. I believe the Brazilian model could inspire other countries and other regulatory agencies to do the same; not only with ibogaine but also with all the highly valuable medicines that comprise the so-called “psychedelics.”

Dr. Bruno Chaves of Brazil has performed over 1200 treatments with ibogaine in hospital without a single adverse event. 62% of those treated remain abstinent long term. Dr. Chaves is currently accepting patients for ibogaine treatment in São Paulo, Brazil. For more information, contact Dr. Chaves directly at this email address: [email protected]

https://chacruna.net/ibogaine-treatm...l-underground/

Last edited:
473618.jpg

Can a powerful psychedelic fight the opioid crisis?

by Ross Pomeroy | RealClearScience | 9 Jun 2020

Somewhere around two million Americans suffer from opioid-related substance use disorder. Treatments like buprenorphine and methadone calm the brain circuits affected by opioids, reducing cravings and withdrawal. In conjunction with counseling, these medications can gradually ferry addicted individuals back to normalcy. Unfortunately, medications are underutilized and states generally lack the resources to provide them to all afflicted individuals.

It is into this quagmire that some have suggested inserting a new, surprising treatment: a powerful psychedelic drug called ibogaine.

Derived from the root or bark of a West African shrub called Tabernanthe iboga, ibogaine has been used in the Bwiti spiritual discipline of the forest-dwelling Punu and Mitsogo peoples of Gabon for generations.

46,802 Americans died from opioid overdoses in 2018, the latest year for which CDC data is available. This painful cost has been exacted regularly in recent years, the price of rampant opioid overprescription and profit-hungry pharmaceutical companies.

Preventing these deaths means finding an effective way to treat opioid addiction. Somewhere around two million Americans suffer from opioid-related substance use disorder. Treatments like buprenorphine and methadone calm the brain circuits affected by opioids, reducing cravings and withdrawal. In conjunction with counseling, these medications can gradually ferry addicted individuals back to normalcy. Unfortunately, medications are underutilized and states generally lack the resources to provide them to all afflicted individuals.

It is into this quagmire that some have suggested inserting a new, surprising treatment: a powerful psychedelic drug called ibogaine.

Derived from the root or bark of a West African shrub called Tabernanthe iboga, ibogaine has been used in the Bwiti spiritual discipline of the forest-dwelling Punu and Mitsogo peoples of Gabon for generations. Unforgettable to those who have taken it, a high dose of ibogaine induces an "oneirogenic" waking dream-like state for as long as 36 hours, with introspective effects that can last for months afterwards, supposedly permitting takers to conquer their fears and negative emotions.

A curious side effect, anecdotally recognized in the 1960s, is that ibogaine significantly reduces cravings for alcohol, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates, and nicotine, so much in fact that some people claimed to be completely rid of their drug addictions after a single, mind-altering dose.

Half a century later, promising anecdotes still abound, but without any science-based evidence to back them, simply because no clinical trials in humans have been completed. This is for two reasons. One, ibogaine is illegal or controlled in much of the world, and two, it causes disconcerting side effects like dry mouth. nausea, and ataxia (difficulty in coordinating muscle movements) at commonly used doses. Most disturbingly, ibogaine can trigger an irregular heartbeat, leading to sudden cardiac arrest. The scientific literature is littered with case reports of this occurring, even in people with no underlying conditions.

Still, ibogaine shows considerable promise in animal models at resolving addictive behaviors, making human trials quite enticing even though the mechanism behind these effects still isn't completely understood. In 2016, researchers in New Zealand calculated that patients could be treated for their addictions with lower doses, around 0.87mg per kilogram of body weight, which is substantially lower than those presently being administered by gray market practitioners. Randomized, controlled trials are now underway to test their hypothesis.

Researchers are also turning their attention to a drug called 18-Methoxycoronaridine (18-MC), a derivative of ibogaine invented in 1996 by pharmacologist Stanley D. Glick from the Albany Medical College and the chemist Martin Kuehne from the University of Vermont. Early signs indicate that 18-MC preserves ibogaine's anti-addictive properties without the same cardiotoxicity.

The tragic toll of the opioid epidemic is forcing societies around the world to reckon with a reflective question: What truly constitutes a dangerous drug? As we've learned, even drugs prescribed by ostensibly caring doctors can kill in great numbers, while drugs long banned for their reputed dangers could instead be more salubrious than we thought.

Ibogaine-Therapy-Offers-Hope-For-Opioid-Addiction.png

Ibogaine therapy offers hope for opioid addiction

by Jennifer Walker | Psychedelic Spotlight | 23 Sep 2020

At his worst, D.F. thought heroin wasn’t his problem. It was his solution.

It soothed his physical pain, killed the uncomfortable emotions, and quieted the noise in his head. He began self-medicating with daily doses of heroin, methadone, and Xanax, sometimes topping it off with a stiff drink.

“When you’re in agony,” D.F. said, “numbness is like the hand of God passing over you.”

His unquenchable dependence on the drug led him to several opioid treatments. But each time heroin would seduce him back into its death grip. Recovery seemed hopeless.

But there was one treatment D.F. hadn’t tried — ibogaine, a hallucinogenic chemical so controversial that it is outlawed in the United States. To try it, he would have to travel to Mexico; relinquish all his medications, passport, and money; and trust the process to work.

It was a risk he was willing to take.​

No more dope sickness

There are usually hints that it’s coming: Runny nose. Sore back. A tingling on the skin. It says you’d better get some sort of opioid in your body before the withdrawal sets in, a feeling so bad you’d do anything to avoid it. That dope sickness makes quitting unbearable.

Ibogaine promises to take withdrawal symptoms away, and in the process, reset not only the body, but the mind as well.

Ibogaine is a chemical derived from the bark of the West African rainforest shrub, the Tabernathe iboga. It is used in some African cultures for various medicinal, ritual, and ceremonial purposes. At higher doses, ibogaine has hallucinogenic properties.

Remarkably, the substance has also been found to interrupt up to 95% of symptoms associated with withdrawal in less than an hour. By the time physical relief sets in, ibogaine leads users into a dreamlike trance. When guided by a trained professional, this psychedelic trip — which lasts up to four hours — can be a deeply healing and insightful process, helping the individual overcome feelings of self-hatred and other emotions that tend to impede traditional recovery. Followed up with aftercare support, one-dose ibogaine therapy has helped countless opioid addicts get clean and stay clean.

The short- and long-term efficacy of ibogaine is backed up by two recent observational studies of patients who underwent ibogaine therapy at independent treatment centers in Mexico and New Zealand. Based on firsthand reports, the potential for it to be used as a recreational drug is slim, according to MAPS.

However, because it is a psychoactive substance, ibogaine is illegal in several countries, including the United States, where it is classified as a DEA Schedule I drug. The federal government considers ibogaine to have a “high potential for abuse” and “no currently accepted medical use.”

MAPS is urging the President’s Commission on Combating Drug Addiction and the Opioid Crisis to reconsider that notion and instead fund further research and development of ibogaine as a clinical treatment to treat opioid abuse.​

Not a magic pill

Because it is illegal in the U.S., access to ibogaine treatment is difficult. But it is not impossible. It requires traveling to a country where the drug is legal, and having enough resources to cover treatment and stay.

Finding a reputable treatment facility is vital. This is not the kind of drug you want to take on your own. As promising as ibogaine detox sounds, there are some safety concerns. Ibogaine can lower blood pressure, slow heart rate, and suppress breathing. Peer-reviewed literature has documented more than 30 deaths among people after ingesting the drug. According to MAPS, most of these fatalities were likely preventable.

Anyone considering Ibogaine treatment should look for treatment facilities that ensure patient safety, such as those that conduct prior medical screenings, monitor electrolytes and cardiac rhythms during treatment, and have the ability to rapidly transport patients to an emergency room in the event of an emergency.

Ibogaine therapy affects people differently and not everyone reaps the benefits. But for D.F., it was nothing short of a miracle.

“It’s unlike anything else I have ever experienced,” he said in a post-Ibogaine treatment testimonial. “Your habit is simply non-existed and you’re reset to a pre-addiction modality.”

On a spiritual level, he said, it was like getting a century’s worth of psychotherapy in a matter of hours. While tripping, he was forced to deal with the demons that led him down the path of addiction, which helped bring resolution to his recovery.

“For the first time in a very long time,” he said, “heroin doesn’t seem that seductive to me.”

Image-3-700x408_c.jpg

The evidence for ibogaine: What new studies tell us about ibogaine for addiction treatment

Over twenty years ago, former heroin addict and scientist Howard Lotsof filed a series of patents for something he called Endabuse, which he saw as a universal, accessible addiction treatment. This alternative addiction treatment was none other than ibogaine, the active chemical in the traditional West African psychedelic iboga.

Lotsof's own experiences revealed ibogaine's potential to treat addiction to opiates, cocaine, amphetamine, alcohol, nicotine and tobacco. Following his efforts, in 1991, the National Institute on Drug Abuse decided to include ibogaine on the list of drugs to be evaluated in the treatment of drug dependency, and we are finally seeing the rewards of this decision in today's robust research results. Here's a look at some of the recent and upcoming research in the field of ibogaine for addiction treatment.

A recent study from Brazil gives us excellent evidence that Lotsof was right. For this study, a team of scientists looked to a private substance abuse clinic in Brazil, a country where ibogaine is unregulated. This clinic treats addiction to many substances, including cocaine/crack cocaine, alcohol, marijuana, tobacco, or a combination of these. The clinic refers its patients to a private hospital where a trained physician oversees an ibogaine treatment. In this treatment, the physician provides emotional support to the patient but otherwise avoids influencing his or her experience.

After treatment, patients returned to the clinic for psychological therapy. In the follow-up, most patients received a second ibogaine dose. Some got even more in following sessions, up to nine doses. Though the clinic knew its treatment was effective, the goal of this study was to crunch the numbers for the clinic, who kept meticulous data, to find out just how big those effects were.

So far, most ibogaine research has focused on opiate addiction to substances like heroin. This study is the first of its kind to look at how well ibogaine works for patients addicted to a variety of substances rather than just opioids. The data shows just what we would expect, if we consider what Lotsof and many contemporary experts say: the ibogaine treatment was very effective. An impressive 61% of the clients were completely abstinent after eight months, and they had longer average periods of abstinence with multiple treatments.

This is very significant compared to the typical rate of 26% after psychotherapy alone. Abstinence was easier for most people after they underwent the ibogaine treatment, the average length of abstinence patients could achieve before the treatment was only two months, even as full-time residents of an addiction clinic. The vast majority of patients had tried other, non-psychedelic treatments without success. Most reported that the ibogaine sessions were essential to their recovery.

The study also attested to ibogaine's safety. There were no ill effects in any of the 75 patients other than what we'd expect during ibogaine treatment, like nausea and confusion. Despite the sometimes unpleasant sensations, not a single patient complained about the treatment (though four patients were critical of the psychotherapy they received).

The future of ibogaine research for addiction

The study from Brazil gives us great data, but only for the outcome of abstinence. Effective addiction treatment requires deep changes in outlook, and it will be important to study the measurement of that directly. In the future, we may see research that shows that ibogaine is effective not just at reducing drug use but also to improve self-efficacy, psychosocial functioning, emotional effect, and quality of life.

Fortunately, two studies sponsored by MAPS are in the works now in Mexico and New Zealand. In addition to measuring how long former addicts stay clean after ibogaine treatments, these studies will also assess general quality of life conditions like employment, social relationships, feelings of depression, and changes in emotional intelligence. Though they are still gathering data, preliminary results show a remarkable 20 to 50% rate of abstinence on follow-up a year later. This is another stark contrast to the clinical results of many conventional treatment options, the success rate of Suboxone-assisted opiate addiction treatment, for instance, drops to 8.6% once the Suboxone is discontinued. Unlike replacement treatments, a single dose of ibogaine, if fully integrated into a patient's mindset, is effective for a very long time.

The growing evidence for the efficacy and safety of ibogaine treatment, not just for opiate addiction but alcohol, cocaine, crack cocaine, and even marijuana, comes as a boon to those suffering from many forms of addiction. There are strong implications that it has the potential to treat behavioral addictions as well such as gambling addictions. If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction, these new studies add to the growing list of reasons to consider ibogaine treatment at a professional clinic. It is important to note that these had access to extended inpatient treatment or another form of continuing care after ibogaine treatment. Ibogaine is not a magic bullet by itself. For truly effective healing, a recovery coach or professional is useful to help integrate the singular, visionary experience it provides.

https://psychedelictimes.com/iboga/...ll-us-about-ibogaine-for-addiction-treatment/

Last edited:
photo-1536183801678-ecc5eaf42bf9

Treating addiction with ibogaine

by Roni Jacobson | Scientific American

The psychedelic drug ibogaine is known for two things: its reputation in some circles as a panacea for addiction and the visceral hallucinations it induces. Positive anecdotes abound from people who have sought out the illegal drug at underground clinics. Just one dose, they say, brings near-instant relief from cravings and withdrawal symptoms, a veritable miracle for seemingly intractable addictions. But the side effects of this plant-derived substance can be dangerous or even deadly. Now, with encouraging evidence from animal studies, drugs are being developed to replicate ibogaine's impact on addiction without the side effects. A drug that is chemically related to ibogaine but lacks its psychedelic properties is set to begin phase II clinical trials in California this year. If the results continue to be promising, addiction treatment as we know it could change radically.

For decades research on ibogaine has been stymied by its classification as a Schedule I drug, the most tightly regulated category. Yet the results of animal studies have been intriguing. In May 2016 a meta-analysis examining 32 such studies, mostly in mice and rats, found that ibogaine reduced self-administration of cocaine, opioids and alcohol. An earlier study from 2015 found that noribogaine, the substance that ibogaine breaks down to when ingested, reduced self-administration of nicotine in addicted rats by 64 percent.

Now Savant HWP, a pharmaceutical company in California, has developed a drug called 18-MC, a compound chemically related to ibogaine, which it hopes will produce the anti-addictive properties without triggering hallucinations. They are betting that the “trip” is not a necessary component of the therapy—an idea shared by some academics. In 2014 the company completed phase I trials in Brazil with 14 healthy volunteers to determine whether the drug is safe, which they do not plan to publish (as long as the data are provided to the FDA, no publication is required). Savant HWP CEO Stephen Hurst reports that overall the drug was “well tolerated” and there were “no serious adverse effects,” although it was “much more potent than we were expecting.” Phase II trials of the drug's efficacy are set to begin in the U.S. in early 2017.

Some hold out hope that ibogaine in its natural form could also become a standard treatment for addicts, but other experts urge caution. They warn that not enough is known about the risks of taking the drug, which has a long history of use in West Central African shamanistic rituals. Reported adverse effects include heart attack and seizures, and several people have died while seeking addiction relief with ibogaine.

Also mysterious is how ibogaine works to disrupt the cycle of addiction. People who have tried it have likened the intense psychedelic trip to going through years' worth of therapy in 24 hours, with flashbacks to childhood and pivotal experiences. “It was so vivid. It was like watching a movie with your eyes closed,” says Kevin, who tried ibogaine for multiple addictions during a stay at a clinic in Mexico. “I had visions of me being 16 years old when I used to drink cough syrup, and my mom caught me one night and she was crying.”

But experiences with ibogaine vary from person to person—not everyone, for instance, experiences the drug's trippy effects—and its neurochemistry and biophysics are perplexing. Research indicates that ibogaine acts on dopamine, serotonin and other neurotransmitter pathways strongly linked to addiction and reward, similar to other psychedelics currently being explored for addiction and mental illness treatment. Yet preliminary studies suggest that ibogaine attaches to other molecules in a unique way. “The mechanism of action at the molecular level is peculiar, wholly unlike that of 'traditional' drugs," says Emeline Maillet, a co-author of the 2015 study on rats and nicotine, who was then at DemeRx in Miami. "Most active compounds work by binding to a receptor on the outside of a cell membrane. But ibogaine seems to do the opposite, binding to the inside of the membrane—something no other naturally occurring molecule is known to do," says Maillet, who observed this effect in another 2015 study examining ibogaine's effect on opioid receptors.

Gary Rudnick, a professor of pharmacology at Yale University, observed a similar phenomenon in a 2016 study on ibogaine and serotonin, finding that ibogaine blocked cocaine molecules by binding to “inward-facing,” “mutually exclusive” locations on serotonin transporters. “All inhibitors except for ibogaine bind in an outward-facing configuration. So ibogaine is unique,” Rudnick says. "But we are still far from knowing the truth about how the drug works," he adds: “Ibogaine has a lot of effects on many different proteins. It's not a very clean drug. We're not sure which targets are responsible” for its addiction-interrupting ability versus its other effects.

Experts emphasize that ibogaine treatment, which can cost up to $10,000 on the black market, is not a cure. Relapse is likely in people who use ibogaine as their sole means of therapy without changing their other harmful patterns. Until we learn more about the drug's mysterious effects and until safer versions become available, the best advice for people struggling with addiction is to follow proved methods, including cognitive-behavioral therapy, support groups and approved anti-addiction medication.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/treating-addiction-with-psychedelics/

Last edited:
Psychedelic-Therapy.png

Psychedelics in Addiction Recovery

by Michelle Janikian | Psychedelics Today | 8 April 2020

The recovery community is huge and diverse, but the thing most members of AA and NA subscribe to is the complete abstinence from all mood-altering substances. Yet, there’s a small and controversial movement within the community that looks to loosen the strict boundaries of sobriety by allowing for the intentional use of psychedelics.

In clinical trials with classic psychedelics like psilocybin, a high dose, monitored entheogenic experience with clinical support is being shown to help people break addictive relationships with substances like alcohol, tobacco, and cocaine. For example, at the University of Alabama, Birmingham, clinical psychologist and researcher, Peter Hendricks, and his team are finishing up a study on psilocybin-assisted therapy for cocaine addiction, and their preliminary results are quite striking. Although they haven’t completed their data collection yet, Hendricks says they have looked at the first 10 participants, six of whom received psilocybin and four a placebo. And those who received the magic mushroom compound used cocaine much less frequently than those who received the placebo following their dosing session.

Hendricks believes the psilocybin group received greater benefit because of the vast insight the psychedelic experience gave them, specifically regarding their own cocaine use. “There seems to be this change in mindset, this very specific realization that ‘my cocaine use has had a very negative impact on the people I love. And the people I love are what’s most important to me. That’s what life is all about. And I can’t let my behavior continue to impact the people I love. So I am committed to stop this,’” describes Hendricks. “In the back of their mind, there’s this sense that I’m going to get back into it [sobriety]. I’m going to be abstinent. I’m going to make a change, no matter what I have to do.”

On the other hand, many in the placebo group reduced their cocaine use, but still “continued a certain pattern of use,” says Hendricks, rather than the extended periods of abstinence and drive to stay sober they saw from the psilocybin group. “I don’t know that it’s ever really a reasonable goal that someone would stop using any given substance and never ever use again, but we want to reduce as much as we can,” says Hendricks. “And if there are lapses or bumps in the road that those lapses would not turn into a full-blown relapse where folks return to their previous use patterns.”

Although taking psilocybin in a clinical trial context is a bit different than taking mushrooms at home or out in nature, the insight psychedelic experiences provide, including the lasting motivation to prevent relapse, is a major reason folks in recovery are turning to psychedelics. Danielle Negrin, Executive Director of the San Francisco Psychedelic Society and Founder of the “Psychedelic Recovery” support group in the Bay Area explains most of the participants in her group are looking to sustain their sobriety from certain substances that cause them the most harm – like meth, opioids, or alcohol – in a practice called “targeted abstinence.” And they’re curious if psychedelics could be a part of that.

shamanism-2100949_1280.jpg

“I think that psychedelics can highlight really how harmful other substances and those behaviors can be and help us look introspectively at our lives and at our past to really reflect on the actions that we were taking and help us wake up to the fact that we are addicts and alcoholics and that recovery from that is possible,” explains Negrin.

Kevin Franciotti, who’s involved in a similar group on the East Coast, Psychedelics in Recovery, that’s now mostly an online community, tells me many members of his group are seeking out psychedelics for similar reasons. Although he couldn’t get into too much detail to protect folks’ anonymity, he says psychedelics have been helpful for people in recovery for a number of reasons, including “cultivating a conscious contact with a higher power of their understanding, which is a key component of 12 step recovery. And admitting powerlessness and then seeking the guidance from a trusting and loving power greater than oneself.” Franciotti also says he’s heard of a member using mushrooms for deeper insights into AA “step work.” For example, when it’s time to make amends with the people in their lives who they hurt with their addiction and related behaviors, they go to a mushroom trip to help them realize who else they might have hurt that they’re forgetting.

Yet even though intentional psychedelic use can seem like a good compliment to recovery, bringing this stuff up at an AA or NA meeting is risky. Most members of the program won’t want to hear it, it’s not an accepted part of the program, regardless if AA Founder Bill Wilson had life changing LSD experiences, and so could get you ostracized from recovery communities. But that’s why groups like Psychedelics in Recovery are so important, to give a support network to folks who are trying to navigate this delicate and controversial landscape.

A new non-profit in the psychedelic community, Project New Day, is looking to support these recovery groups. Founded by Mike Sinyard and Allison Feduccia, PhD, Director and Co-Founder of Psychedelic.Support (a psychedelic integration resource), they’re inspired by psychedelic experiences helping folks overcome their addictions, and want to give back to that community. For their first order of business, they created an advisory board of four clinicians and five people who are already involved in psychedelic recovery support groups, including Negrin and Franciotti.

Feduccia says their next step is to create tangible materials, like pamphlets, for folks that go to these support groups and their family members who might be concerned about using one substance to get over another. They’re also planning on helping these support groups develop exercises they can engage participants in, as well provide referrals to clinicians for group members with more severe issues. Overall, Feduccia says they want to establish and promote best practices for such groups, and then help to promote them to a wider audience. She explains part of the plan is to expand Psychedelic.Support to include more support groups and to allow reviews. They’re also planning on providing grants to people who want to start these types of groups in their area, and to eventually expand beyond talking circles to more nature-based integration groups, like hiking or biking together.

“We’re just really in that phase of [exploring], what does the community need? How can we provide resources, information, connection to other people in a way to advance these groups?” says Feduccia. “We’re thinking of it as a way of modernizing an AA type program, which is really abstinence-based. We want to make this a little bit more inclusive for people as these [psychedelic-assisted] treatments become more readily available.”

And a modernized, more harm-reduction focused approach to AA is desired by many in the community. Either because they find AA to be too restrictive, or like in the case of Ethan Covey, photographer and co-Founder of the Psychedelic Sangha group in NYC, they get the help they need from AA, but eventually outgrow it and are ready to move on. In Covey’s case, after four and a half years of following the program, he felt confident that his mind-set and lifestyle had changed enough – away from his destructive addictive behaviors that opioids caused him – to cautiously dip his toes in psychedelic waters for personal and spiritual growth. Perhaps, psychedelic experiences could augment his new sober lifestyle. “I really felt like I learned the lessons that I needed to learn [regarding my own addictive behaviors]. And I started questioning whether the appropriate response to that was just to continue to check off time,” he says.

Covey explains, to get to that point, he really needed those four and half substance-free years to work on himself and change his lifestyle. “But as years went by doing that, I got to a point where I became very confident in my ability to not do the things that I know I shouldn’t do.” For Covey, that means maintaining an opioid-free, and for now, alcohol-free lifestyle. While telling me this story, he’s super cautious and stops himself more than once to tell me, “This is very difficult to talk about because I most definitely don’t want to say that my experience is what anyone else would experience, you know?”

And he’s right, everyone who struggles with addiction and substance misuse/abuse is on their own very individual journey. While consciously augmenting sobriety with psychedelics might work for some, it certainly doesn’t for others. For example, even though Franciotti is passionate about psychedelics in recovery, and has helped to write safety guidelines for such use, he tells me he’s not currently using psychedelics (or any substances) since his last relapse in 2018.

Ibogaine in a clinical setting helped to get him clean, but a few years later, he helped to organize an ibogaine conference in Mexico where he would have the opportunity to take a low dose. He debated with himself for months leading up, and at the same time, was going through a period of distance from his recovery community. So when the iboga opportunity fell through at the last minute, he instead spontaneously took an unknown amount of LSD in what he sees now as impulsive drug-seeking behavior and a “fear of missing out.” Even though he considered that LSD experience to be reckless and he tried to adhere more closely to an abstinence approach afterward, it was a catalyst to beginning a full-blown relapse. Not long after, he purchased a kilo of Kratom because he heard the DEA planned to ban the substance and that eventually led him back into the arms of his problem substance: opioids.

fef631cb-0b09-4b8a-baf4-183365affaa4-psychedelics-2.jpg

This type of narrative is a main concern for folks who attend Psychedelics in Recovery groups, that psychedelic use is considered a relapse or can push them over the edge back to the substance that causes them the most problems. Or, another related fear that Negrin points out, that they’ll replace one substance with another, like get off prescription anti-anxiety or depression meds, only to become reliant on microdosing psychedelics.

There’s also some concern around the addictive potential of psychedelics. Unlike other substances, classic psychedelics like magic mushrooms aren’t really considered addictive because they don’t promote compulsive use like opioids, meth, or alcohol. Plus, with most psychedelics, you can’t really use them to numb yourself and escape your problems like other substances. Instead, many psychedelics offer a deeper dive into those feelings, or a new perspective on your deeply held beliefs, and that can be too uncomfortable to dive back into day in and day out.

Yet that’s not to say people can’t develop problematic relationships with psychedelics. Not to stigmatize any substance further, but there’s definitely cases of people developing problematic relationships with LSD, MDMA/ecstasy, and Ketamine, particularly. But people can become “addicted” to all sorts of things, including food, sex, sugar, exercise, shopping, stealing, gambling, the list is endless. It really depends on the person and how they’re actively engaging these dopamine-releasing activities. And that’s another reason why support groups specifically for psychedelics in addiction recovery are so important, to help people navigate this tricky landscape and hold themselves and each other accountable.

If you’re in active recovery or addiction and this resonated with you, everyone I spoke to for this story recommended really checking in with yourself before engaging in any psychedelic use and taking a harm reduction approach. So be honest with yourself on your motives or intentions for use, and seek ample community support. Whether that’s your sponsor, close friends, family, partner(s), or support groups like Psychedelics in Recovery (or a combination of all of the above), because honesty, openness, and community are crucial to avoiding old, problematic, addictive behavior patterns. But psychedelics aren’t for everyone, so really do your homework before embarking on any kind of chemically-induced journey, and always practice safe use.

Last edited:
9W1c9bX.png

Ten years of therapy in one night

by Daniel Pinchbeck | The Guardian

In 1962, Howard Lotsof, a 19-year-old heroin addict in New York, was given iboga by a chemist, a plant used in West African rituals, and he tried it for extra kicks. After consuming the bitter rootbark powder, he experienced a visionary tour of his early memories. Thirty hours later, when the effects had subsided, he found that he had lost all craving for heroin, without withdrawal symptoms of any kind. He said he then gave iboga to seven other addicts and five stopped taking drugs immediately afterwards.

In 1985, Lotsof patented the ibogaine molecule for the purposes of addiction treatment, but could not get his treatment approved. In the interim years, ibogaine had been declared, along with LSD and several other psychedelic molecules, an illegal "schedule one" substance, with potential for abuse and no medical value. Although it found dedicated support among a ragtag group of countercultural activists and left-over Yippies, in 1995 the National Institutes of Health discontinued research into the substance, and pharmaceutical companies have since ignored it, perhaps due to low profit potential.

But now, interest in ibogaine is growing rapidly, passing a "tipping point" through a combination of anecdotal evidence, underground activism, journalism and scientific research. Articles have appeared in US publications ranging from the authoritative Journal of The American Medical Association (Jama) to the populist Star. The Jama piece, Addiction Treatment Strives For Legitimacy, described the drug's stalled and tortured path through the regulatory agencies, noting that the treatment's frustrated supporters in the US have set up an "underground railroad" to give addicts access to the drug: "While unknowable scores of addicts continue ingesting ibogaine hydrochloride purified powder - or iboga whole-plant extract containing a dozen or more active alkaloids - few trained researchers witness the events."

The Star took a more colourful approach: "Rare Root Has Celebs Buzzing" it said, trumpeting the treatment as the hot ticket for "the numerous celebs who look for relief from their tough lives, a needle or prescription drugs." The article insinuates that "some of our favorite A-listers" not only get cured but enjoy the hallucinations as an illicit "fringe benefit." Outside the US, new clinics have opened in Mexico, Canada and Europe, offering reasonably priced, medically supervised opportunities to try ibogaine as a method of overcoming addiction.

Iboga is the sacred essence of the religion of the Bwiti tribe of Gabon and Cameroon. Most members of the tribe ingest it just once in their lives, during an initiation ceremony in which massive amounts of the powdered bark are consumed. Through this ritual, they become a baanzi, one who has seen the other world. "Iboga brings about the visual, tactile and auditory certainty of the irrefutable existence of the beyond," wrote the French chemist Robert Goutarel, who studied the Bwiti. The iboga bark's visionary power is produced by a complicated cocktail of alkaloids that seems to affect many of the known neurotransmitters, including serotonin and dopamine. Its complex molecular key may lock into the addiction receptors in a way that resets patterns and blocks the feedback loops that reinforce

In an essay on ibogaine's anti-addictive properties, Dr Carl Anderson of McLean Hospital, Virginia, speculated that "addiction is related to a disrupted relationship between the brain's two hemispheres, and that ibogaine may cause 'bi-hemispheric reintegration.' " Ibogaine also accesses REM sleep in a powerful way - many people need considerably less sleep for several months after an ibogaine trip.

Six years ago, I became a member of the Bwiti. I had heard about ibogaine in an anarchist bookstore in New York. On a magazine assignment, I went to Gabon and took iboga in an initiation ceremony. It was one of the most difficult, yet rewarding, experiences of my life. I had heard the substance described as "10 years of psychoanalysis in a single night" but, of course, I did not believe it. As the tribesmen played drums and sang around me until dawn, I lay on a concrete floor and journeyed back through the course of my life up to that point, witnessing forgotten scenes from childhood. At one point, I had a vision of a wooden statue walking across the room and sitting in front of me - later, I was told this was "the spirit of iboga" coming out to communicate with me.

My Bwiti initiation was complicated by a belligerent, greedy shaman who called himself The King and demanded more money from us before, during and after the ceremony. The King was also dissatisfied with the visions I described, and threatened to keep feeding me more iboga until I reported more impressive sights. The initiation, which lasted more than 20 hours, was ultimately liberating. At one point, I was shown my habitual overuse of alcohol and the effect it was having on my relationships, my writing and my psyche. When I returned to the US, I steadily reduced my drinking to a fraction of its previous level - an adjustment that seems to be permanent.

Recently, I tried ibogaine for a second time. I took it at the Ibogaine Association, a clinic in Rosarito, Mexico. I had been contacted by a heroin addict who had been inspired to take ibogaine after reading the book I wrote about my experiences: three months after his first treatment in Mexico, he was still clean - after a 12-year dependency. He told me, "Your book saved my life." He had given Dr Martin Polanco, the clinic's founder, a copy of my book, and he had offered me a free treatment. I was curious to see how the experience would differ away from its tribal context. My new friend wanted to take it again to reinforce the effect. We went down together.

Polanco estimates that his clinic has treated nearly 200 addicts in its first 18 months. About one third of those patients have managed to stay clean - either permanently or for a considerable period; many have returned for a second treatment. "Ibogaine needs to be much more widely available," Polanco says. "We still have a lot to learn about how to administer it, how to work with it." He does not think iboga is a cure for addiction, but is convinced it is a powerful tool for treatment - and, in some cases, it is a cure. He plans to set up several non-profit clinics. "This is something that should be non-profit," he says. "After all, it is a plant. It came up from the earth. It does give you some guidance. It shows you how you really are." He chuckles. "That can be scary."

The Ibogaine Therapy House in Vancouver, British Columbia, opened last November. "So far, we have treated 14 people quite well," says Marc Emery, the clinic's founder and head of the BC Marijuana Party. "They all say that their life has improved." Emery, nicknamed the "Prince of Pot", is funding the free clinic with proceeds from his successful hemp seed business. "Ibogaine stops the physical addiction without causing withdrawal," he says, "and it deals with the underlying psychological issues that lead to drug use."

Emery estimates that treatment for each patient at the clinic costs around $1,500, which includes two administrations of the drug. "When I found out about ibogaine, I felt that someone should be researching this, but the drug companies aren't interested because there is no commercial potential in this type of cure." Neither he nor Polanco is too concerned about ambiguous studies on ibogaine's toxicity. As the Jama article noted, "One reviewer wrote that the drug's toxicology profile was 'less than ideal', with bradycardia [an abnormally slow heartbeat] leading the list of worrisome adverse effects."

"From the masses of reports I have studied, a total of six people have died around the time they took ibogaine,"
says Emery. "Some were in poor health, some took other drugs at the time of their treatment. That doesn't scare me off. I have a lot of confidence in ibogaine."

At this stage, with little scientific study, the true toxicology of ibogaine is impossible to determine - the treatment is unlicensed in other countries and illegal in the US. The decision whether or not to take such a risk is entirely personal. Emery notes that his clinic screens for heart problems and other medical conditions that might contraindicate the treatment. It also gives patients small daily doses of iboga for two weeks after their initial treatment. "Iboga tends to make anything bad for you taste really crappy. If possible, we want our patients to quit cigarettes at the same time. We think that cigarettes can lead people back to other addictions."

Emery notes that nobody has so far criticised the project, and he is seeking support from local government. "Iboga tells you to change your ways or else - it goes over all of your health and personal issues. It is like the ghost of Christmas past."

Randy Hencken drove us from San Diego to the Ibogaine Association. A 25-year-old former heroin addict who had kicked the habit after two ibogaine treatments at the clinic, he was now working for the association, going to local methadone centres with flyers and keeping in contact with former patients. The first treatment costs $2,800, including an initial medical examination and several days' convalescence afterwards, but subsequent visits are only $600 - and it seems most addicts need at least two doses of ibogaine to avoid relapsing.

"The Ibogaine Association is in a quiet, dignified house overlooking the Pacific, decorated with Buddhist statues and yarn paintings from Mexico's Huichol people. I was given a medical examination by Polanco and a test dose of the drug. Twenty minutes after ingesting the test dose, I started to feel nervous and light-headed. As I took the other pills - a gel-capped extract of the rootbark powder - I realised I was in for a serious trip."

"The nurse led me back to my room. My head already spinning, I lay back on the bed as she hooked me up to an electrocardiograph and headphones playing ambient music. Why was I doing this again? Ibogaine is no pleasure trip. It not only causes violent nausea and vomiting, but many of the "visions" it induces amount to a painful parading of one's deepest faults and moral failings. I had a loud, unpleasant buzzing in my ears - the Bwiti probably pound on drums throughout the ceremony to overwhelm this noise. With my eyes closed, I watched as images began to emerge like patterns out of TV static. I saw a black man in a 1940s-looking suit. He was holding the hand of a five-year-old girl and leading her up some stairs. I understood that the girl in the vision was me and that the man represented the spirit of iboga. He was going to show me around his castle."

While startling at the time, such an encounter with a seeming "spirit of iboga" is a typical vision produced by the Bwiti sacrament. In many accounts, people describe meeting a primordial African couple in the jungle. Sometimes, the iboga spirit manifests itself as a "ball of light" that speaks to the baanzi, saying, "Do you know who I am? I am the chief of the world, I am the essential point!" Part of my trip took the form of an interview that was almost journalistic. I could ask direct questions of "Mr Iboga" and receive answers that were like emphatic, telegraphed shouts inside my head - even in my deeply stoned state, I managed to scrawl down in my notebook many of the responses.

I asked Mr Iboga what iboga was. I was told simply: "Primordial wisdom teacher of humanity!"

Later, my personal faults and lazy, decadent habits were replayed for me in detail. When I asked what I should do, the answer was stern and paternal: "Get it straight now!"

This ideal of straightness, uprightness, kept returning during the trip - a meaningful image for me, as I suffer from scoliosis, a curvature of the spine. When I was shown other faults that seemed rather petty and insignificant, I tried to protest that some of these things really didn't matter. Iboga would have none of it, insisting: "Everything matters!"

Iboga told me that I had no idea of the potential significance of even the smallest actions. I reviewed some events in my life and my friends' lives that seemed bitterly unfair. Yet, in this altered state, I felt I could sense a karmic pattern behind all of them, perhaps extending back to previous incarnations. Iboga affirmed this, dictating: "God is just!"

To many readers, these insights may sound trivial. They did not feel that way at the time. They were delivered with great force and minimalist precision. While they might have been manifestations of my own mind, they seemed like the voice of an "other". Generally, I never think in such direct terms about "God", and "primordial wisdom teacher" is not my syntax.

During the night, I had numerous visions and ponderous metaphysical insights. At one point, I seemed to fly through the solar system and into the sun, where winged beings were spinning around the core at a tremendous rate. Up close, they looked like the gold-tinged angels in early Renaissance paintings. Perhaps due to my recent reading of the Austrian visionary Rudolf Steiner, this whole trip had a kind of eco-Christian flavour to it. At one point, I thought of humans as an expression of the Gaian Mind, the earth's sensory organs and self-reflective capacities, at the planet's present state of development. If we are changing quickly right now, I considered, it is only because the earth has entered an accelerated phase of transformation, forcing a fast evolution in human consciousness.

The loud buzzing sound that ibogaine produced seemed to be something like a dial tone, as if the alkaloid were in itself a device for communicating on a different frequency than the usual one. Thinking of my girlfriend and our child, I realised that I was lucky - "You are lucky!" Mr Iboga echoed. I felt tremendous, tearful gratitude that I had been given a chance to live and love, to explore and try to understand so many things.

As so often these days, I pondered on the terrible state of the world - wars and terrors and environmental ruin. I saw sheets of radioactive flame devouring cities, huge crowds reduced to cinders. I asked Mr Iboga if this was going to be the tragic fate of humanity. The answer I received was startling - and reassuring: "Everything is safe in God's hands!"

As ludicrous as it may sound, this message has stayed with me and alleviated much paranoia and anxiety. While tripping, I decided that Mr Iboga was a form of enlightened mind, like a buddha who had chosen a different form, as a plant spirit rather than human teacher, to work with humanity, imparting a cosmic message of "tough love". At one point I asked if he would consider incarnating as a person, and the answer I got was, basically, "Already did that!" - implying that, in some previous cycle, he had passed through the perilous stages of evolution we are now navigating. I also came away from this trip with the suspicion that iboga was the original inspiration for the tree of the knowledge of good and evil in the Biblical tale. The plant's placement in equatorial Africa, cradle of humanity, would support this idea, as well as its sobering moral rectitude. The "good and evil" that iboga reveals is not abstract but deeply personal, and rooted in the character of the individual.

Late in the night, I retched and vomited out bitter rootbark residue. I put on a CD of African drumming. Closing my eyes, I watched a group of smiling Bwiti women dance around a jungle bonfire. After that, the visions died down, although it was impossible to sleep until late the next night.

My friend in recovery had a less visionary experience. His faults were also paraded in front of him in repetitive loops that seemed endless. At one point, I heard him scream out, "No! No! No!" He saw a possible future for himself if he didn't kick heroin - becoming a dishwasher, sinking into dissolute old age with a bad back and a paunch. He asked what he could do to help save the world. He was told: "Clean up your room!" Meditating on his experience later, my friend quipped, "Ibogaine is God's way of saying, 'You're mine!' "

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2003/sep/20/booksonhealth.lifeandhealth

Last edited: