• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Alcohol I will always be an alcoholic and an addict

alex_anders_8

Greenlighter
A little background info: I'm a 25 year old male living in the UK.
I have been an alcoholic for 6 years (with the occasional 2-3 month abstinance...although no abstinance in the last 18 months). I drink up to 5 bottles of wine a day.
I almost died from very severe acute alcoholic pancreatitis three years ago but otherwise my body seems to be coping okay.
During said period of pancreatitis I was in hospital for 10 weeks. During those 10 weeks I received IV morphine every 4 hours (seriously, six times a day for 72 days). I grew to love the feeling and - once out of hospital - I began crushing and snorting the Morphine Sulphate and OxyContin pills I had (seeing multiple doctors, lying about pain etc) and so I have also been dependant on opiates for three years.

I actually quit my methadone cold turkey not too long ago. I love not being dependent on going to the chemist every day, plus the methadone made me sweat and gain almost 30lbs (3 weeks without methadone and I've lost 13lb without changing my eating habits.

I still shoot up heroin maybe three or four times a week. I also will snort buprenorphine and sometimes take RX opiates (Lortab, Percocet, Oxycontin, Fentanyl...). Just recently I have started shooting up cocaine, too, although one a week at most.

The thing is...I would rather die than not be able to drink alcohol. I have tried sobriety and it just isn't for me. Surely I can't be the only alcoholic who DOESN'T want to get clean?

Last edited:
The thing is...I would rather die than not be able to drink alcohol. I have tried sobriety and it just isn't for me. Surely I can't be the only alcoholic who DOESN'T want to get clean?

Yes, you probably are not the only alcoholic to feel that way, and yes, you sound like you are well on your way to death. I've posted a link below where Guns 'n Roses bassist Duff McKagan relates his near-death experience when his pancreas burst from overconsumption of alcohol. Also, prepare yourself for the friendlessness, destitution and institutionalization (whether it be jail or a psychiatric facility) that will inevitably occur on your road to self-destruction if you don't die first.

For me, job losses, a wrecked marriage, a wrecked wonderful post-marriage relationship, ruined finances and being one step away from homelessness was enough.

https://www.thefix.com/content/guns-n-roses-alcoholism-pancreas-9329

Yes, you probably are not the only alcoholic to feel that way, and yes, you sound like you are well on your way to death. I've posted a link below where Guns 'n Roses bassist Duff McKagan relates his near-death experience when his pancreas burst from overconsumption of alcohol. Also, prepare yourself for the friendlessness, destitution and institutionalization (whether it be jail or a psychiatric facility) that will inevitably occur on your road to self-destruction if you don't die first.

For me, job losses, a wrecked marriage, a wrecked wonderful post-marriage relationship, ruined finances and being one step away from homelessness was enough.

https://www.thefix.com/content/guns-n-roses-alcoholism-pancreas-9329

I am FAR from friendless. I'm not saying I'm super-popular and everyone loves me or anything: I'm not delusional.

I have a boyfriend and plenty of friends (some addicts, some not). Even family members have admitted that they "like drunk me rather than sober me". Alcohol makes some people violent and agressive and some people suicidal and tearful. Personally I'm always happy as long as I'm drunk. Even relatively sober I'm depressed and boring and unsociable. People are always saying how I'm always smiling and laughing and always happy. And I am...so long as I'm drunk.

I spent four years desperate to be able to get sober and hating my addiction etc. It's just lately that when I look back over my life, about 95% of happy memories I have are when I was drunk.
I've suffered for it, sure. I was street-homeless for three weeks last year. I only got to stay with family again because I was brutally gang-raped while homeless.

I currently live in a hostel for otherwise homeless people (parents got sick of my shit after 11 months and re-kicked me out). Of the 32 people here, 17 are alcoholics. 5 of them feel the same as me and don't WANT "recovery". The only time I want to get better is when I'm in withdrawal.

So I'm not alone. I've tried to commit suicide more times than I can count over the last 14 years. The only time I wanna live is when I'm drunk (or binge/purging; I'm also bulimic).

I do sometimes cry hysterically over how I've ruined my life with addiction. But when I'm drinking/drunk and with friends (especially if they're drinking, too) I'm actually happy. I've NEVER been happy. Is it such a crime to want to be happy? Alcohol is like prozac or xanax for me.

P.S. Sorry, I know this is a harm-reduction forum. I AM NOT encouraging anyone to drink. I just would like to talk to like-minded people.

Oh and I've never been to jail (which is lucky as I steal alcohol at least three times a week). I have been institutionalized several times, but for psychosis and/or suicide attempts. But that is because I have Borderline Personality Disorder, not because I'm a drunk.

Last edited:
I am FAR from friendless. I'm not saying I'm super-popular and everyone loves me or anything: I'm not delusional. I have a boyfriend and plenty of friends (some addicts, some not).

For now, you do.

alex_anders_8 said:
Oh and I've never been to jail (which is lucky as I steal alcohol at least three times a week).

Yet.