• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I?ve decided to use opioids, looking for advice on protecting myself

If you can really afford this habit it can be done but I'm gonna tell you right now your depression is going to be so unbelievably bad beyond words if you go through withdrawal (since you're already clinically depressed). Try to use kratom as well to stretch out and avoid pain killer withdrawals in between doses (imo)

And from what it looks like the anti-depression properties really only lasted for me 1 year before it ended up causing me permanent depression no matter what my dosage was. Something funky goes on with brain chemistry in longer term use but everyone can be different

You think you can set boundaries. You think you're more powerful than these pills.. but the stone cold reality is is that these pills are powerful af and have a mind of their own. They want to invade your life and every aspect of it and you will become addicted inevitably in the path you're taking. So few people on earth can actually moderate their usage after a certain period of time. If you're dead set on diagnosing your depression with opiates just know that it's highly likely that you will become addicted, so you're not caught off guard. No one deserves this lifestyle.. to wake up sick and do something illegal or legal but desperate to blast away what I know to be the worst expreince of my entire life. Opiate withdrawal IS SO BAD and I describe it as death. If you think you can limit it to two days a week and actually do throughout your life I'll give you my house lol! But good luck OP :) I just don't want you to not really understand what you're getting into before you commit to this. I don't think it'll work out well for you, and I don't mean that in a vindictive or arrogant way at all

Hi, it seems as though pure opioids do not have an anti depressant effect for me . I took some heroin and still felt very shitty. The only thing that seems to work are really powerful stimulants and GHB. I can’t really use powerful stimulants because the comedown on top of the clinical depression is hellish, and GHB is all good but it’s too short acting to really make an overall differences. I’m fucking stuck in this shit dude I don’t know why I’ve been cursed with this depressive disorder, I haven’t experienced a single moment of happiness in at least 9 months since I last went on vacation to the US. Oh well, I guess there’s no good complaining about it

Best advice is to run... Run as far away and as fast as you can away from opioids. Only if you're in too much physical pain unable to run away from them use them as only enough until you can start running again to you finally get out of their grasps again after becoming strong enough with them.

I have some experience with opiates . . . I tried 99% heroin nasaly, street heroin a couple times also nasaly, U4700, tramadol, codeine and a couple others. I ended up taking them more and more frequently and experienced mild withdrawal from heroin and U4700. My initial idea was never to take them more than 2 days in a row and then have atleast a month pause. It does not work like that with opiates tho. I ended up snorting my entire stash of U4700 and acquainte myself with opiate withdrawal. It is not something I wish upon anyone. If you think you are smart or mentaly strong enough to avoid addiction, please think twice - noone is. I have seen people twice my brainpower succumb to their charm. Ayahuasca woke me up a little bit but I still foolishly started taking kratom every day (for the last year) and its day 6 of my withdrawal. It sucks very bad my friend. As someone said before me - the question if there is such a thing as safe opiate use is still up to debate.

Do I think I am wiser or cooler now that I know what its like to yearn for something that can potentialy kill me? Not at all. I feel shame, defeat, sadness, boredom with things that used to bring me joy and a void that has yet to be filled with something better.

My advice? Stay away. You have little to gain and everything to loose.

Last edited:
Do not give up hope on anti depressants. I have suffered from crippling depression, Generalized anxiety disorder, Panic disorder. Each of which have worsened and worsened over the years. This has been the case since i was 16 years old. I am nearly double that age now. These conditions were mostly brought on by near constant pain from Fibromyalgia and Crohn's disease.

ssri antidepressants don't do jack shit for alot of people. as falsifiedhypothesi mentioned. You need to try an snri. I was on citalopram, mirtazapine and sertraline for years and years and they did nothing for me. I had to beg my doctor to refer me to a psychiatrist.

He put me on the safest snri avalibale - Venlafaxine. He also prescibed 10mg valium pd. At first the valium helped but it wasn't until after around 3 months that it wasnt the valium helping with anxiety, depression and pain any more. It was the Venlafaxine. It has reduced my anxiety so mutch i cant believe it. I feel like my old self again. The blocking of norepinephrine reuptake has balanced out my brain so much. It also has had a similar effect on my nerve pain from fibromyalgia, that amitriptyline would have. It has completely saved my life.

I felt the exact same way as you about antidepressants before this miracle happened. Sometimes its just about finding the right one for you. This has definatly been the case for me and its taken me 14 years! Please give venlafaxine a go. It might just change your life too.

Btw sry for the TLDR. I just became very interested when you said you havnt tried snri's.

Edit: Sry i forgot to mention Effexor is the brand name for venlafaxine. Only the XR version is available in the US. But since like me your from the UK You can get it on instant release which i find better.

Don't give up friend.

Last edited:
Look into ketamine therapy for something that’ll probably be more viable than opioid use. I’m also finding memantine to work really well for depression/anxiety/PTSD.

Oh...bummer. It's a shame that tramadol only works for 3 days.

Some people simply don't do well with oxycodone so I understand what you're saying.

I wish I could help. It sounds like you need help from some of our members that have tried all those medicines to see if any would work. Too bad you can't get hydrocodone because it's a little weaker than oxy and many people prefer it.

What ? I have been taking tramadol for over 5 years and it still works perfectly fine for my chronic back pain, id be lost without it. i dont know you got 3 days from mate.

Opiates are terrific antidepressants for a lot of people. For me personally I found Buprenorphine to have the most positive effect on my depression it was more beneficial than all SSRI's that I tried. I found on the approx 4mg dose I felt great and I could think clearly, sleep well and was extremely motivated. It also had a great effect on my anxiety and I felt very comfortable in my skin and in social situations.

Unfortunately when I dropped to a low dose under 2 mg all my mental health problems returned, I would consider taking Buprenorphine for the rest of my life but they don't offer lifelong maintenance anymore in my country and most maintenance scripts run 12 to 18 months.

Opiates are terrific antidepressants for a lot of people. For me personally I found Buprenorphine to have the most positive effect on my depression it was more beneficial than all SSRI's that I tried. I found on the approx 4mg dose I felt great and I could think clearly, sleep well and was extremely motivated. It also had a great effect on my anxiety and I felt very comfortable in my skin and in social situations.

Unfortunately when I dropped to a low dose under 2 mg all my mental health problems returned, I would consider taking Buprenorphine for the rest of my life but they don't offer lifelong maintenance anymore in my country and most maintenance scripts run 12 to 18 months.

Not true at all, tramadol for instance has SSRI properties which help depression, opiates can help in on a short course, but thats about it, they DO work for depression but for short periods. I have never been offered buprenorphine for my opiate withdrawels i also live in the UK, im quite shocked there.

Not true at all, tramadol for instance has SSRI properties which help depression, opiates can help in on a short course, but thats about it, they DO work for depression but for short periods. I have never been offered buprenorphine for my opiate withdrawels i also live in the UK, im quite shocked there.

I am talking about my subjective experience with Buprenorphine and through talking with a drug doctor about depression and opiates. I don't see how what i'm saying is "Not true at all" when I experienced it.

When you say you have not been offered buprenorphine for withdrawal in the UK then you cannot have been to a drug clinic as methadone and Buprehorphine are the two drugs offered for maintenance. it could be that your addiction was not very heavy and the doctor didn't think you needed the maintenance drugs, really have to talk with your doctor about that.

What ? I have been taking tramadol for over 5 years and it still works perfectly fine for my chronic back pain, id be lost without it. i dont know you got 3 days from mate.

I know where I got it from. It's called my personal experience with it, I've been taking it for over a year now, stops working for my depression after about 3-4 days of consecutive use, I've tried this many times

So I?ve tried every opiate basically. And although they?re named depressants for their use on the CNS, IMO they have depressant qualities on mentally too. I was going to advise you against heroin as although it?s incredibly euphoric, it doesn?t really cure depression. As for pharmas, again oxy is the most stimulating because it is made with thebaine. But as you said, in low and high doses, it did nothing for you. Maybe try to find oxy (not Percocet) and inhale it. That kinda of changes the high into a more stimulating one, for me at least. And in the beginning of my use, I didn?t like the high either, it took about 6 uses before it changed. Now it?s one of my top opioids. Lastly I?d advise tramadol but once again you described harrowing withdraws and rapid tolerance that navigates you away.
Have you thought about using some sort of amphetamine? Like adderall? This might be your golden ticket.

Regardless, when it comes to depression, the only way is through it. All drugs including SSRI?s and SNRI?s only give temporary relief. And this is from someone who went threw two years of crippling depression (sleeping 20+ hrs a day and then only eating) and still have a bit of residual.

Also a LOW dose of suboxone might help depression. Although in my own (and others) experience within a year it turns on you, and depression comes back.

Also give kratom another try. Try different strains and different suppliers. Kratom has great antidepressant qualities for a lot of it?s users

Last edited:
Also give kratom another try. Try different strains and different suppliers. Kratom has great antidepressant qualities for a lot of it?s users

This is true. Kratom sometimes felt better for my temporary depression episodes even more well than traditional opoids like oxy or percocet, and the withdrawals from kratom are far more tolerable imho. Plus it's legal (so far), meaning you do not have to deal with the stress of being caught by law enforcement.

Last edited: