• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I took ONE T4 at 7:20PM. It's now past 5:00am....

Ringo88

Bluelighter
Why the hell can I not sleep? I even took an extra valium, but I absolutely can't sleep. 60mg of codeine shouldn't do this, should it? I swear, I think me and opiates just don't mix, but this is just stupid.

Sometimes opioids can have a paradoxical effect and cause stimulation. Oxycodone is most commonly known for this but who knows, I mean you only took 60mg of codeine, that's such a small amount it doesn't really make sense.

You should definitely stop taking opioids since you probably still have the chance considering the dose of codeine you're taking. Save yourself a lot of trouble just by giving up opiates and never looking back.

I find codeine, hydro cod, oxy cod, and I assume anything that binds to kappa has a secondary simulating or equilibrium effect that affects sleep.

Sometimes I just don't sleep with opiates though even when tired. They do that

Edit : listen to tricomb second post. They are trying to help you

I won't take them again, ever. I'm just worried, could this be permanent? I take valium everyday, could the codeine still be effecting me, and I could go into respiratory collapse today?

I'm really freaked the fuck out right now. I have to work today, and I'm worried I'm gonna collapse and die or something. Also, I have no idea how old the T4 was, a friend gave it to me. If it was old, could it kill me?

You are causing your own problems. I don't mean to be callous, but stop worrying. Mind over matter is very true here..... You're not sleeping because you're afraid you can't sleep. Try making a plan to get to sleep and just make it work. Maybe walk around the block first or eat a snack either way just lay down after and remind yourself you can sleep.

I know, I'm fucking crazy... I have panic disorder, so this is just scaring me. I will try to lay down for the next couple hours before I work. I ate a sandwich because I was really, really nauseous. Thanks man. There's no way the codeine could still be effecting me, is there?

No, I do not think so. The plasma half-life of codeine is incredibly short. Unless you have some weird issue metabolizing the stuff, it's well on it's way out. (I think 24 hours for total excretion?)

An no, the age of the pill does not matter.

A lot of people seem to find codeine stimulating but obviously not to this extent. Like tri said, paradoxical (and otherwise just weird) reactions happen all the time. You are obviously not allergic to it given how long has passed since you took it so I do not believe you are in any danger.

I understand the panic disorder, though. (As do a great many people here.) It sucks but try not to get caught in that loop. Just go about your day as normal and enjoy the awesome sleep that comes after a day of running on no sleep. ;)

I take opioids too. Have been for about 4 months now. Dilaudid 4mg. I wish I knew how to find those exspressions that you can post because It makes it easier for me to communicate with them.

Finally fell asleep for a couple hours before work. I'm a fuckin nut case lol, thanks for the help guys.

Sometimes I'll get too high on Heroin and can't sleep, I'll be relaxed and nodding out but just can't stay asleep, just my head bobbing while I'm trying to do something so then I go lay down and I Just lay there comfortably waiting for sleep to over take me but it never does...

When I had no tolerance and first did opioids, I would lay there not able to sleep but just sort of drifting while awake. Time passed quickly but I was not asleep. More of a lucid dream like state

I deal with daily pain so I am on pretty strong dose of hydro daily. I've surgery twice since starting my daily regimen. With every surgery, they prescribe me oxy. That stuff works wonders for the pain but no help on the sleep side. After my last surgery and three days of sleepless nights, the doc ordered me a drug called Vistaril. It does not effect your breathing so its safe to take with the big boys. Once you get started on this, you will be able to sleep at least 4 hours straight. I still take it today from time to time to help me sleep. I think its basically a prescription benadryl. It worked great for me.

Sometimes opioids can have a paradoxical effect and cause stimulation. Oxycodone is most commonly known for this but who knows, I mean you only took 60mg of codeine, that's such a small amount it doesn't really make sense.

You should definitely stop taking opioids since you probably still have the chance considering the dose of codeine you're taking. Save yourself a lot of trouble just by giving up opiates and never looking back.

Listen to Tricomb. Opiates basically always end in one of three ways.

a) You are the VERY VERY small percent that can just use them occasionally.

b) You start using them here and there, and although it sounds far-fetched, you eventually move up to oxycodone or a harder opiate, and then eventually you try heroin because it's way cheaper and you "just wanna try it once", and then eventually you begin injecting it because again, it saves money. (This is the addict thought process, you will spend more money on opiates once you start injecting then you ever did before) This is a lot more common then you probably think. Being an addict brings you pain that you can never imagine. It will put you in the worst and darkest place mentally, and will make you more depressed and hopeless feeling then anything you've ever experienced in life. And it's a reality.

c) You do the above, and either end up dead, in jail, or try your ass off at staying sober in recovery, but forever, you will be an addict and will have that little voice in the back of your head telling you to pick up and do "just a little bit more" one more time.

I know, opiates don't seem like a vicious drug when you start them. But that is why they are so addictive. They start off with seemingly little or no side effects or comedown, and for most people provide a nice blanket of euphoria and confidence and happiness. This doesn't last forever, and you start chasing the high big time, and once physical addiction starts, you are so completely fucked because you are already in it deep, and chances are this whole time you have been telling yourself you have it under control, rationalizing your use. They are very insidious like this, completely taking over logical thought process and rewiring your brain chemically.

"Oh I don't even get withdrawals yet, I'm good. *Sticks needle in arm*"

"I have it under control, I just chip. *Sticks needle in arm*"

I know this sounds a little farfetched but I started with codeine and ended up a junkie like all the rest for a little while, I'm hoping I don't relapse but it's hard as hell when you know what opiates feel like, especially IV opiates. Your life will never be the same once you start opiates, run, and run fast.

Last edited: