I think other gym-goers want me kicked out of my gym

Michael_25

Bluelighter
I just have this sneaking suspicion. I've been getting ... how can I describe it ... "odd" looks from so other gym patrons, mainly women. My facial expression is pretty much deadpan, so people can't really tell what I'm feeling. However, a long time ago, I have been told that I *can* look menacing this way (however, I don't see it).

All it really takes is one female to dislike me and then she can go to staff and say "that guy over there keeps leering at me and he made rude remarks to me ..." then BANG! I'm banned from the gym. I should add that I have been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia so I often have suspicions. Some are valid, some *may* not be.

What do you think, fellas? Is this just a case of unjustified suspicion or should I be concerned?

EDIT: Mods, this probably belongs in "The Lounge". My apologies for posting this thread in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Are you going to the gym high? Is it maybe drug related paranoia? Just a thought.
I
Unless I know a woman at the gym from somewhere else in life, I try to keep my eyes away from them because so many of the women I have talked to feel creeped on from time to time when they are there because people stare or make comments to them.

My wife has had some truly gross interactions at the gym. I have had to tell some guys to knock out the more aggressive stuff.

It sounds like you have a bit of gym anxiety TBH. Keep at it and you’ll start to feel more confident and comfortable.

Are you going to the gym high? Is it maybe drug related paranoia? Just a thought.
I
Unless I know a woman at the gym from somewhere else in life, I try to keep my eyes away from them because so many of the women I have talked to feel creeped on from time to time when they are there because people stare or make comments to them.

My wife has had some truly gross interactions at the gym. I have had to tell some guys to knock out the more aggressive stuff.

It sounds like you have a bit of gym anxiety TBH. Keep at it and you’ll start to feel more confident and comfortable.
Nope. Never go to the gym high. I try to keep my eyes away from everyone but occasionally others DO look around too, and we lock eyes briefly. I'm just worried that some women may find it offensive and report me for a made-up reason such as "he gave a derogatory comment ..." I NEVER have and never would, though. Every time I see a female talking to the front desk staff I think they are reporting me. Am I being paranoid here or is there grounds for such logic?

EDIT: I NEVER talk to women at the gym.

Nope. Never go to the gym high. I try to keep my eyes away from everyone but occasionally others DO look around too, and we lock eyes briefly. I'm just worried that some women may find it offensive and report me for a made-up reason such as "he gave a derogatory comment ..." I NEVER have and never would, though. Every time I see a female talking to the front desk staff I think they are reporting me. Am I being paranoid here or is there grounds for such logic?

You’re being a bit Paranoid. You will make eye contact at the gym. When it happens just nod or don’t acknowledge it if you don’t want to, and move on with your work out. I got my gym confidence up by asking other guys how to use machines and stuff. Maybe try that .

If you aren’t wanted at a gym, they’ll kick you out or let you know. Trust me,

You’re being a bit Paranoid. You will make eye contact at the gym. When it happens just nod or don’t acknowledge it if you don’t want to, and move on with your work out. I got my gym confidence up by asking other guys how to use machines and stuff. Maybe try that .

If you aren’t wanted at a gym, they’ll kick you out or let you know. Trust me,
Aha. Much thanks, VerbalTruist. I just think maybe I come off as "creepy"? I don't ogle women. Again, I've been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia (well that's what the shrinks say I have. I'm not so sure on that diagnoses.) So maybe it's paranoia at play? Ehhh ... I overthink every little thing.

I get so paranoid at the gym! It's intense. I'm an overthinker too and get bizarre paranoid thoughts in places like that it can get a bit much to the point It stopped me from going for years. I just avoided all places and people that made me feel like that plus didn't care to look after myself properly. I'm going back next week once my blood pressure comes back as hopefully normal and my ankle heals more.
When you feel like that remember you don't need to pussy foot around other people, if you have done nothing wrong then fuck them it's would be them the weirdos if they have an issue with someone looking in their direction or accidentally glancing at someone's ass for example lol it happens, not like your taking pictures or something creepy like that but I get the feeling you get and it's not nice feeling like that about yourself and anxiety rarely makes any logical sense - unless there is concrete proof that's what people think I wouldn't worry.
I'd probably look at you and get paranoid that you thought I was looking at you weird or something if I was at your gym lol.

Christ, I feel for you. Paranoia, like staph, flourishes wonderfully in the hothouse conditions of the modern gym.

I'm reminded of the last time I tried to start "going to the gym," about 10 years ago at this point. What a nightmare landscape, governed by unwritten rules of etiquette and saturated with free-floating passive aggression. It was all I could do just to suppress my intense urges to flee, and another battle altogether to endure a respectable 10 minutes on the rowing machine (usually the only equipment that was unclaimed) before calling it a day, a lifetime, and a workout well-done.

The clock never moves more painstakingly than when you're on an exercise machine, IME...treadmills in particular have an incredible power to slow down the passage of time and reduce it to a crawl through molasses, transforming the normal duration of human experience into a profound monotony, which plunges you into the abyss of your own subjectivity.

Last edited:

With your diagnosis, yes it's highly probable you are just being paranoid.
Especially since you assert you go out of your way not to make any unnecessary eye contact and you don't engage verbally.

Schizophrenics do tend to have limited affect and facial expression, and yes this can come across as threatening to some people, especially if you're a big tall guy. My partner has a quite impressive presence and coupled with his flat expression (he has the same diagnosis) that makes a lot of people wary of him.

Meanwhile HE'S the one constantly paranoid that the entire world is out to get him. Do you take any medication for your condition? Antipsychotics can be very effective for getting paranoid ideation under control.

I just have this sneaking suspicion. I've been getting ... how can I describe it ... "odd" looks from so other gym patrons, mainly women. My facial expression is pretty much deadpan, so people can't really tell what I'm feeling. However, a long time ago, I have been told that I *can* look menacing this way (however, I don't see it).

All it really takes is one female to dislike me and then she can go to staff and say "that guy over there keeps leering at me and he made rude remarks to me ..." then BANG! I'm banned from the gym. I should add that I have been diagnosed with Paranoid Schizophrenia so I often have suspicions. Some are valid, some *may* not be.

What do you think, fellas? Is this just a case of unjustified suspicion or should I be concerned?

EDIT: Mods, this probably belongs in "The Lounge". My apologies for posting this thread in the wrong forum.
go there ignore everyone, and act like you the king there

Seems like the experience of stigma towards mental illness that a large part of society has.