• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I think I need help please - suboxone

No need to even sweat it out. Ask a doctor for gabapentin or lyrica, or plead your case and ask for long half-life benzo like valium and clonidine. No need to drag this out.

Thank you all! Ok, I have a list of other kinds of medicine I can ask for - and I HOPE my doctor will help me. He is an odd one though. He doesn't really listen, and kind of just scolded me for having an addiction and then decided I would take suboxone. But I will ask him. I see him on Wednesday.

This is all such scary stuff. I took oxycodone ( about 40-60 mg a day) for maybe three months. When I stopped I felt SO awful. But now I wonder if I should have just suffered till it stopped. I wish I hadn't started this suboxone. SOme say they stop it without a problem, and some say it is even worse than stopping oxy. I don't like it either. It has wrecked the inside of my mouth, and it makes me uncomfortable and edgy and weird feeling. Today I took .5mg, and still feel odd from it. I am not taking it tomorrow. Will see what happens, and on Wednesday if I am a wreck, I hope my doc will give me some of these other medicines people suggest. Today was day 6 on it. Except for the first day, I haven't taken more than 1mg a day. I hope it isn't too awful. And if so, I hope these other medicines will help me. I have work meetings tomorrow I can't miss and I take care of stray animals and can't not take care of them for a day and... Oh wish me luck! I wish I had never taken the oxy!

Thank you all!

LCat, aside from questioning whether you're having an adverse reaction, I think the sore tongue thing is normal in a percentage of the population taking suboxone. I had the same thing occur and last for about a month or more when I began taking it, and it still happens every now and again despite the fact that I've been taking it for four years. The sores and the painful aching upon movement were really bothersome, but I just figured it was due to the sub strips just acting as an irritant to my body already freaking out from the stress.

In any case, good on you for wanting a life devoid of addicting drugs. I wouldn't advise staying on suboxone longer than a month to six weeks, because it often is more difficult to get off of the longer one stays on.

I have to agree with everyone here that says drop the suboxone asap. You're habit was def one that would cause opiate withdrawals but in my opinion wasn't bad enough to warrant switching over to suboxone. I've seen a couple replys that suggested different mess to help curb the withdrawal symptoms. Honestly if there is one drug in all the above listed, that I would most definitely try to get over any of the others, it's the Gabapentin. In my own personal experience, Gabapentin is almost a miracle drug when it comes to getting through opiate withdrawals. It may have just worked better for me than most, but that could be because to me the absolute worst parts of the detox are the skin crawling, restless legs, no appetite and no sleep. Honestly as far as symptoms go, that about sums it up for me. A lot of people get nauseous and have diarrhea also but I've never personally had those issues. In short, make sure you push for that Gabapentin. If there's only one med you could get, make sure that's the one. I think most people will agree with me there. Please make sure to update us as to how everything goes. Hope the best for you. Good luck.

One more question - has anyone ever "jumped" from suboxone? How bad is this going to get for me? I wish I had listened to those who suggested I stop taking it a couple days ago. Hopefully this isn't going to be too bad. I have been on it now for 6 days, I think... Not looking forward to what is about to come. How bad should I expect it to be - anyone know?
Yes. There are a ton of bluelighters who have jumped.. Normally the wd's are less intense than full agonist opioids, however it's long half life sometimes makes the wd duration last a few weeks. I don't think 6 days use will put you at risk for severe sub wd, but everyone is different.

I always ask people what they would rather choose, a few days of wd, but the symptoms are profound and intense, or a few weeks of wd, but with light wd symptoms? People have different preferences. If you want the first option, switch back to oxy and do a taper. If you want the second option, continue with the sub and start a taper now. If it were me, I would do the sub taper.. lowering your dose by 100mcgs every 3-4 days.. then when you get down to say 250mcgs/day, you can start skipping days.

Keep us updated, and good luck. By the way, congrat's on deciding to quit! Most addicts don't get that 'pat' on the back they expect when they choose to quit, they're just sober with no significant event signaling what great accomplishment they just acheived! So... YOU'RE DOING A DAMN GOOD JOB, KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

LCat, aside from questioning whether you're having an adverse reaction, I think the sore tongue thing is normal in a percentage of the population taking suboxone. I had the same thing occur and last for about a month or more when I began taking it, and it still happens every now and again despite the fact that I've been taking it for four years. The sores and the painful aching upon movement were really bothersome, but I just figured it was due to the sub strips just acting as an irritant to my body already freaking out from the stress.

In any case, good on you for wanting a life devoid of addicting drugs. I wouldn't advise staying on suboxone longer than a month to six weeks, because it often is more difficult to get off of the longer one stays on.
After reading more about the posters experience I have to disagree. The OP said under his/her tongue was now starting to peel. Like the skin was peeling and it was extremely irritated and red underneath. It was also hurting the OP's gums and entire mouth when take bucally or between the lip. This is not a normal reaction and sounds like it is slightly different to the annoying little sores/irritations you can sometimes get from using SL suboxone and holding it under your tongue.

I would not continue to take sub until you talk to your doctor. It sounds like you are allergic to something in the medication. What that is we can not say but one would hope it would not be an allergy to the bupe. Def drop the sub and do a taper with oxy or sub. Though people must remember this might not be possible with the intense side effects/allergy he/she is having from that specific medication. Suboxone really should not be indicated for this type of short term low tolerance addiction to opiates.

Hello all and thank you all for your help and advice. Today I go to the doctor and will ask for the medicines I have had recommended here. Yesterday I skipped the suboxone. I think I was ok - I felt edgy and a little irritable but I think a lot of that may have been related to work stuff I was dealing with. This morning ( probably 48 hours off suboxone) I feel just a hint of what withdrawal was like, but it isn't unbearable like it was. That said, I heard that suboxone can stay in your system a long time, so the worst may be coming. But Prescottdave above is right - my mouth really is a mess now. Brushing my teeth makes my eyes tear up and talking is hard because my tongue hurts, and chewing anything... well, I had a mostly liquid diet yesterday. I think it really can't be normal, and I need t doc. I suppose if my doc won't help me and the withdrawal gets horrible I am going to have to power through that problem and will try to do a taper, as some have suggested here.

But I am also convinced now I should not have been put on this medicine. The idea my doctor will have me on this indefinitely is kind of heart breaking to me. He didn't even want to discuss when I might stop and told me that isn't anything I should be thinking about. I know I made a mistake taking the oxy, but it was no more than 3 months and I stopped and sought help to stop and it is really upsetting that I can't, that instead I must use another medication long term - that just stopping wasn't an option and instead I am supposed to do maintenance. I understand the reasons for maintenance, but I don't see why that is the right plan for every person.

I just want to be ok again - not to have to take something every day to be ok, and not have to go see an addiction doctor once a week like a job or something...

I really wasn't ok with the withdrawal from oxy though- it was so hard - intolerable. But fingers crossed I can get some of these other medicines and just tough it out. Wish me luck and thank you all again for helping me - I really have felt lost about all this, and the advice has helped enormously.

Your doctor is awful for making you feel like that. I'm sorry you had to go through that:)
you are doing great imo. You saw a problem and acted on fixing it. Most of us wait years and then need subs/done.
give ya self a pat on the back from me please✌️
I was on oxy for pain and the first time I got dope sick it scared me lol. I didn't know not taking my melds would make e sick lol
im on methadone because I have a chronic pain issue and it's a wonder drug for pain. 45mg in the morning 45mg at night and better for pain then 200-300mg oxycodone for me anyhow
but if I didn't need pain meds I would have stayed off when I detoxed at home last November. After 3-4 days ya feel a bit better
keep us posted and I wish you the best
cheers��

you've only been on subs for like a week haven't you OP? so there shoudn't be large amount built up in your system, couples with the ffact that you've made it 48 hours since your last dose - if the wd's don't get any worse, you should seriously consider jumping off here and ridding yourself of opiates (and shitty doctors) for good.

Yeah you said you have only been taking around 1mg a day and haven't been on subs that long? I would for sure try to do a taper as Hopeless soul posted above me. Sub withdrawl is much worse when you take larger doses for a long period of time and just up and quit taking it. It was worse than any opioid I have ever withdrawn from to me because of how long I have taken it. Take it slow if you plan on tapering. But if you end up not doing the taper, and stay on subs, I would ask your doctor to try something other than suboxone strips like zubsolv or subutex. I would try subutex if you can, but a lot of doctors dislike it for whatever reason and wont prescribe it to any one but pregnant women. However, my doctor switched me solely for the price difference from suboxone to subutex as I have no insurance that covers bupe and subutex is nearly half the price. I still think it might be something in those strips causing a bad reaction. Your doctor sounds pretty ignorant by the way you have described him. If you continue subs and your doctor wont change you to subutex or at least zubsolv, then I suggest finding another sub doc if you can. But really at the stage you are at now I would try to just taper and slowly get off them while its still easy. I am truly addicted to bupe now and have been for years, its gonna be a bitch for me to get off it because I have been on it so long so take it from someone who knows just how addicting this shit can become after taking it for a long time. Also if you taper ask for a low dose of valium, like 2-5mg, as it help helps most people get through the uncomfortable part of tapering(anxiety, RLS, sleeping issues, etc.).