• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I really need somebody who knows their pharmacology...

Bomb319

Bluelighter
There's definitely some sort of strange connection between opioids and nicotine. It's not exactly a potentiation effect, but it's undeniable:

You know how some opioids like methadone sort of settle into a sort of "background high", but tend to increase their effect in "waves" that occur periodically? Well I have a fairly high-quality e-cigarette with 18 mg/mL nicotine e-liquid. Every time I take a hit from it, and I've recently had a lot of methadone, a short (10-15 second) wave of mild euphoria occurs - with characteristics identical to the feeling of the methadone becoming stronger. I would REALLY like to understand what's happening here since it is my understanding that stimulants and depressants - including opioids - tend to antagonize each other and aren't synergistic.

I also want to know if anyone else has had the same experience!

stimulants and depressants - including opioids - tend to antagonize each other and aren't synergistic.

People love combining stimulants and opiates, though...cocaine + heroin and (probably to a lesser extent) meth + heroin being quite popular combos among hard drug users...

I think it has to do with "lighting" up as many pleasure centers in the brain as possible- opioids work mainly on the endorphin system and stimulants like cocaine (not so sure about nicotine but a quick google search could bring it up) work on the dopamine system. Also, the downers take the edge off the stimulants, and the stimulants keep you up when taking downers.

Same thing for me. I always vape, but try to not vape for a few hours before having any opioids so I can have a nice combined rush. It's great. Though I find it more emphasizes the "sedative" effects of nicotine. Being on phenibut and kratom then taking a few long drags on a vape makes me just feel like my body is melting (in a good way lol).

OK, that's really interesting...I knew it couldn't be only me, or a placebo effect! I've always known that higher doses of nicotine tend to act as a relaxant/depressant rather than the typical stimulation associated with it, but I could never have predicted how directly it can potentiate methadone! So you guys know exactly what I mean then when I describe the feeling you get after a nice, deep vape drag and how it's definitely an opioid-like effect?

I think it has to do with "lighting" up as many pleasure centers in the brain as possible- opioids work mainly on the endorphin system and stimulants like cocaine (not so sure about nicotine but a quick google search could bring it up) work on the dopamine system. Also, the downers take the edge off the stimulants, and the stimulants keep you up when taking downers.

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it could be something to do with that, but I honestly don't think so. The reason I say that is because the effect seems to be one of noticeable but very short-lived potentiation and not an additive effect - either stim or downer.

Short and simple, nicotine, stims, and opioids all increase your dopamine levels. So yes, nicotine would potentiate either.