• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos i need a benzo that keeps me asleep

bigmac155

Greenlighter
hi, im looking for a benzo that keeps me asleep. i usually wake up like 5 times a night and its getting ridiculous. right now i take some xanax every other day for the past week to see how it is but i still wake up in the middle of the night. i tried temazepam, i wasnt sure if it really worked cause i only had 1 trial pill. any other suggestions?

UPDATE: ok sorry for not being more specific before. so to answer all those questions: YES, i have tried all the other bullshit drugs. to be more specific, from first to last goes like this: over the counter sleep aids, then i went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me mirtazapine, then trazadone, none of those worked. then i went to my doctor and he tried ambiem 5 mg, then 10 mg, nothing worked. even ambien extended release didnt work. then i went on to explain to him how nothing works and he sees that. i told him i thought short half life benzos would be the move so i dont feel groggy in the morning but a lot of u guys are opposed to short half live benzos for sleep? so i then tried 1 mg xanax, (which i do sleep on and keep waking up on but im able to fall back asleep on it easily) and 2 mg xanax (which made me super groggy in the morning like i couldnt get out of bed) i also tried temazepam 30mg. (the thing im not sure about temazepam was because i was high from smoking weed that night so i couldnt really tell if it was working or not, maybe ill try that again idk.

point is, ive tried pretty much everything before benzos, obv i researched the fuck out of these drugs and know this is last resort. i dont need to be told that, no offense.

and for that other person who suggested it being something in my life that might be bothering me, yes, i tore my ACL 4 years ago and im still having my 4th surgery on it in a few months. tht shit pisses me off

Last edited:
Why do you need a benzodiazepine? Also, do NOT use alprazolam for this, it's ultra potent effects combined with fast onset and short half life makes it a terrible choice for staying a sleep,

Especially with highly hypnotic benzodiazepines like temazepam, triazolam, midazolam, etc, you develop a tolerance so rapidly you will very soon have worse insomnia than you do now, plus you'll be dependent on benzodiazepines, which is the worst if you can avoid it.

What non benzodiazepines have you explored? Have you tried like, mirtazepine or quetiapine?

agree that xanax is a poor choice for sleep, but seroquel for sleep? NO!

Temazepam and ambien are probably the best two prescription sleep aids. ambien worked better for me

Benzos are a absolute last resort to treat insomnia. Before you use any of them, you should have tried all other options under the care of a doctor. You didn't specify if you had tried anything else except alprazolam and a single temazepam, and you didn't tell us the dosages you tried. You should try to find the cause of your insomnia as well. Have you done this? Have you tried ambien as well as other sleep aids? OTC sleep aids. Do you just have insomnia or is something waking you up or keeping you awake? Before you try benzos for sleep you need to have answers to all these questions and more. Benzo WD is about the worst WD out there too.

If you've exhausted all of your options and have to fall back on a benzo, I'd suggest 10mg diazepam first, then if that doesn't work try 5mg nitrazepam. You can adjust dose as needed up to twice what I suggested. I personally find that nitrazepam is about the most effective benzo for pure insomnia, meaning no physical or psychological cause. Diazepam is very effective in treating anxiety or pain related insomnia imo, nitrazepam also very good for pain related insomnia. Nitrazepam is far more amnesiac and hypnotic than diazepam so you will be much less functional on nitrazepam should you need to do something while on it.

Benzos will make insomnia 100x worse in the long run. They're not safe as long-term sleep aids. Xanax is probably the worst choice because it's so short-acting. The one time I took it to sleep I woke up feeling hyper and alert in the middle of the night, lol.

Something long-acting like Valium or Klonopin would probably be a better choice, but again, do not use benzos as a sleep aid except on rare occasions.

When I had sleeping problems temazepam helped me relax and fall asleep but not stay asleep. I'd wake up after 3-4 hours and not be able to sleep anymore.

I know you're asking for a benzo but it's not a solution. I fixed my sleeping problems with supplements and changing my lifestyle (going to the gym, eating good food etc). Try a combination of L Tryptophan + magnesium + gaba + holy basil (adding 5htp can help as well). I took those for a while in order to 'cure' my insomina. Now it's gone.

I personally find Benzo's not very good for sleep, they work fine for anxiety, but for sleep I end up with 6/7h of fading in and out of a drowsy grogginess. They just really interrupt the stages of sleep. Yeah sure you can knock back a load of Benzo's and black out, but that's hardly 'sleep'.

Though if you were looking down the road of Benzo's for sleep I'd perhaps look at Zopiclone, a related 'Z' drug as it's shown to have a significantly smaller effect on disrupting your brain's sleep architecture, stages, and cycles, when compared to other typical Benzo's - even Temazepam which is the holy grail of "Good Sleeping Benzo's".

But personally, I'd avoid Benzo's and go with a small dose of Quetiapine/Seroquel - as was earlier suggested. Incredibly effective for sleep.

Dude didn't ask for a lecture, he asked a straightforward question. Dude I had the same problem, all the z drugs were shit and didn't work, if they did I only slept for an hr or 2 of shitty sleep. My dr then put me on 30mg of temazapam and I was straight, out like a light after 30min and I slept for 8 hrs of really good, dreamy sleep. It was a miracle drug for me. I hope this helps you out a bit. It's not easy to get drs to write for this shit though, usually you have to fail all the z drugs(ambien etc.) before they will even think about writing temazapam, shit is really strong. Take care, I hope u get some sleep soon...

Temazepam is the best sleep benzo I have ever used.

Dude didn't ask for a lecture, he asked a straightforward question. Dude I had the same problem, all the z drugs were shit and didn't work, if they did I only slept for an hr or 2 of shitty sleep. My dr then put me on 30mg of temazapam and I was straight, out like a light after 30min and I slept for 8 hrs of really good, dreamy sleep. It was a miracle drug for me. I hope this helps you out a bit. It's not easy to get drs to write for this shit though, usually you have to fail all the z drugs(ambien etc.) before they will even think about writing temazapam, shit is really strong. Take care, I hope u get some sleep soon...

Isn't this a harm reduction forum? He gets answers as well, doesn't mean people can't give other advice

If I ask can I take 1000mg mdma in one night people will also give 'lectures' instead of saying 'sure take what you want'

Your right, it's been a bad day for me. I should've just posted about the question asked.
I've taken 1000mg a day, did it for 6mths straight lol. Funny u used that as an example. In a bit fried don't mind me.

2 mg XANAX XR (time release aprazolam) puts me to sleep and keeps me asleep all night. I would recommend trying it. It can take up to 2 hours to kick in though.

It's alright we're all here to help %) ouch that's a lot. My brain was already fried after doing that for a few nights.. insane brain zaps for a long time and hallucinating with every joint and at night in bed. I can't imagine what you been through.

Well, for a great sleep, a benzo of your choice, and soma. Knocks you out, think Soma is chemically related to barbituates somehow, not sure though. Good at relaxing Muschles also of course. If your just looking for a benzo everyone say Temazapam, and Valium I find to make me tired. Maybe try for Midizolam.

Those brain zaps!!! God damned man, they jolt u right outta deep sleep. I haven't touch a roll in... Shit it's gotta be 11-12 yrs now, maybe more. I don't think I'll ever recover man. So many underlying issues it's hard to distinguish between what was MDMA related and what I already had. Fuck man now I want some e 's lmfao!!! I'm old and outta the loop so I couldn't find them if I wanted to. Good times though lol.

Soma is great idea, add that to a common sleeping pill and I'd bet you'd be out like a light. I never even considered soma, hmmm...

Temazepam maintains it's hypnotic benefits as long as you're not taking other benzos, and it doesn't affect sleep architecture. It's your best bet, IMO. If 30mgs doesn't do it, they can play with it, I know people on triple that amount.

UPDATE: ok sorry for not being more specific before. so to answer all those questions: YES, i have tried all the other bullshit drugs. to be more specific, from first to last goes like this: over the counter sleep aids, then i went to a psychiatrist and she prescribed me mirtazapine, then trazadone, none of those worked. then i went to my doctor and he tried ambiem 5 mg, then 10 mg, nothing worked. even ambien extended release didnt work. then i went on to explain to him how nothing works and he sees that. i told him i thought short half life benzos would be the move so i dont feel groggy in the morning but a lot of u guys are opposed to short half live benzos for sleep? so i then tried 1 mg xanax, (which i do sleep on and keep waking up on but im able to fall back asleep on it easily) and 2 mg xanax (which made me super groggy in the morning like i couldnt get out of bed) i also tried temazepam 30mg. (the thing im not sure about temazepam was because i was high from smoking weed that night so i couldnt really tell if it was working or not, maybe ill try that again idk.

point is, ive tried pretty much everything before benzos, obv i researched the fuck out of these drugs and know this is last resort. i dont need to be told that, no offense.

and for that other person who suggested it being something in my life that might be bothering me, yes, i tore my ACL 4 years ago and im still having my 4th surgery on it in a few months. tht shit pisses me off

agree that xanax is a poor choice for sleep, but seroquel for sleep? NO!

Temazepam and ambien are probably the best two prescription sleep aids. ambien worked better for me

Quetiapine works great for my extremely severe chronic insomnia, and it's so much better than being extremely benzo dependent like I used to when I thought I could rely on benzos for sleep. Rookie mistake for me to make but still. Valuable life lesson.

@OP, even now that you've told us that you've tried lot of better options that didn't work for you, last resort benzos for sleep is still only going to give you temporary relief before making your insomnia worse.

$0.02, from over a decade of experience w/ benzodiazepines Rx'd for medication resistant chronic severe insomnia.

Last edited: