• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I Have To Combine Opiates And Benzos Its Not Optional

CocaColbenzo

Greenlighter
Last Sunday i was in a high speed motorcycle crash. The result was several displaced bones and multiple open fractures on my right leg and foot. I've had surgery but I'm still basically bedridden. Yes i use bottles for the toilet because the pain is extreme when not elevated.

Paramedics shot me up with a large amount of diamorphine when the accident happened, i had about 1mg of Lorazepam in my system at the time and i never had any issues with the two.

I also received a dosage of Fentanyl before surgery with approximately 1mg of Lorazepam in my blood. Didn't notice any side effects just strong euphoria prior to being knocked out and the surgeons said i was very hard to wake up!

Now i hear benzos and opiates are not a good mix i will put below what i take daily.

Codeine 60mg every 4 hours
1mg Lorazepam before bed
Clexane 40mg daily

Any issues with the two? The hospital did say they are fine together.

The above combination is likely to be daily for the next 6 weeks I'm told that i should expect to be bedridden for this full time.

Last edited:
The benzo dose is low but the codeine is concerning. I'd split your benzo dosage throughout the day to test the waters first.
Check out this previous post : http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads/482321-lorazepam(ativan)-with-codeine-mix

The problem is i am in excrutiating pain with just 30mg of Codeine, i need the full 60mg. I could take 30mg every 2 hours but i imagine that wouldn't make much of a difference because of the half life? I unfortunately need the Lorazepam as I'm highly addicted to it. Splitting the benzo isn't really a option either, because i have bad insomnia, very difficult to sleep without it.

The previous post says that Lorazepam potentiates Codeine, thats the concerning part as none of this is for recreatinal purposes.

Do you know if it was dangerous for the hospital to give me Fentanyl while taking Lorazepam? Because i may need further surgery so I'm a bit concerned about that.

thanks

No need to split your codeine dose as 60mg is like almost nothing..I'm surprised with your injuries that's all they are given you. Also since you're tolerant to the Ativan i really would not worry.

several displaced bones and multiple open fractures on my right leg and foot.

Diamorphine- Royal.. Fentanyl- Not bad.. Codeine-WTF???

Did you say something that scared the doctor or surgeon? Maybe it's just the opioid hysteria. Might want to have a little talk with the Doc on your first checkup but your use of both meds sounds modest. At the very least ask for some Diclofenac (NSAID) if you're stuck with Codeine. Maybe keep an eye out for bleeding problems and black stools also with the blood thinner.

well you should tell them your on codeine. They had you monitiored for a while which is good. Dont let them mix the fent and codeine again! youre on such a low dose of benzo , that I would try to sub the benzo with lyrica or gabapentin, baclofen etc..

The hazard is primarily respiratory issues. Most doctors will shy away from combining the two, however I have been prescribed both meds together twice in the past.
It is fatal for some people, others seem to be fine. No issue. I took Xanax in combination with opiates for four years. Never had an issue. But again, it is not a good idea.

Actually the codeine is the low dose here not the Ativan ... 60 mgs codeine wouldn't get my pinky toe high

doubling down on two depressants is always fraught with danger - but assuming you've been using lorazepam for a while and are therefore tolerant it shouldn't be much of an issue
perhaps halve your loraz dose? and yeah wow i would have thought they would have given you at least morphine rather than codeine, perhaps they were concerned with the synergy of opiates and benzos? ༼ ༎ຶ ෴ ༎ຶ༽

The hazard is primarily respiratory issues. Most doctors will shy away from combining the two, however I have been prescribed both meds together twice in the past.
It is fatal for some people, others seem to be fine. No issue. I took Xanax in combination with opiates for four years. Never had an issue. But again, it is not a good idea.

I agree. I've been on Oxy for 6 years and Xanax for 10+ , You really have to tread carefully in the beginning via dosage seperation, SPO2 monitoring and tonnes of reading. After you have learned how your body will respond , you can adjust for taste.
NOT a good mix for a newbie and especially not for cowboy/girl style ~ weekend max for getting high. Respect this combo Please !!

Ive mixed ms contin and xanax when i was dumber in life. If the doc says do it i wouldn't worry. My experience has been it really ruins you as a person but after that kind of injury its about functioning and getting through the day. Getting off the mix sucks.

Maan I heard in the U.K. docs are strict when it comes to prescribing opioids, but holy shit! Those were SEVERE injuries and they give you codeine of all things?? I guess it beats Tylenol but damn...

Good luck to you bro, and stay safe.

Maan I heard in the U.K. docs are strict when it comes to prescribing opioids, but holy shit! Those were SEVERE injuries and they give you codeine of all things?? I guess it beats Tylenol but damn...

Good luck to you bro, and stay safe.

Codeine is the chief analgesic in prescription tylenol and small amounts in certain OTC Tylenol 2's etc

you will be fine, thats a very weak opiate, just be cautious cause if you take enough of both you might stop breathing ....