• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

i have noticed a strange effect of the internet.

You're online too much.

I remember reading about one guy who used to play online role-playing games for so long and so often that he said would sometimes accidentally respond to a verbal joke by saying "smile".

^ HAHAHAHA!

But for real...I don't have any problems with real life social interaction because of my internet interaction. If anything it probably has improved my social skills, cuz I open up a lot on Bluelight. :)

Sometimes I'll use chat talk IRL, but on purpose. For instance, I'd say, "LOL" to something funny. And I wouldn't say each letter, I'd say the word, like it was a "lolly-pop" minus the "y-pop".

Also "ROFL" as well, and in the same manner. Looks like ROFL sounds like "roffle."

gemslave said:
Yeah i understand what you mean.
I however usually feel that i best express myself through the written word.
When im talking in person to someone i never find the right words, but in letters to people all my emotions come pouring forth perfectly.

I am the exact same way. But it isn't just my usage of the internet that leads me to believe I better express myself through written word. I have felt that way for many years... even before I got into message board whoring ;) I'm a writer by nature. Any important things I have had to say to people I have preferred to do so in writing. Which is bad sometimes, because there are certain things where a face-to-face conversation is more appropriate (depending on subject matter). I've even had to go to the extent of writing out my thoughts pre-conversation because for some reason many times I will freeze up when it comes time to have "a talk" with someone.

In addition to that, I go through phases of being open vs. shy. There will be times I will talk and talk and talk (generally when I am in a good mood) and times that I will have absolutely nothing to say (generally when I'm upset and my mind is too occupied on my down emotional state). It's very frustrating to me because there isn't much I can do to fix either situation. And there is no happy medium for me :\

I wish we could use emoticons in normal daily conversation too though =D

i love forums.....i used to not care anything about them...until Dec of this past year when my brother was always on and he showed me some cool stuff on Bluelight, i just became all of a sudden interested...

Yeah, im abnormally addicted to the lounge. I think everyone see's me as his lowlife postwhore. well on the weekdays i post as much as i can. But on the weekends im out and about.

haha
I'd call you a postwhore alasdairm, but I enjoy reading what you type, even though I may not agree with it. :)

Computers have been a daily part of my life since I was 11 or 12. That means I've been at it for about 15/16 years. When I started the internet was almost entirely text, and downloading a picture was a project. Bulletin boards were the bomb, and getting the time from the Navy's atomic clock was totally worth buying the 300 dollar modem. I have very few memories of life before computers. So I really have no idea what impact it's had on my personality. I have no reference for what I would be like without it. I know being online a lot keeps me informed, and allows me to project an image of intelligence. All in all I think it improves my ability to communicate.

One thing that's been getting me since I've been on Bluelight is the desire to use smilies in professional e-mails. Fortunately the spell checker picks them up, and I remember to take them out.

Belisarius said:
I remember reading about one guy who used to play online role-playing games for so long and so often that he said would sometimes accidentally respond to a verbal joke by saying "smile".
I say "sigh" instead of actually sighing. It started as a half joke with a friend I know in real life who I met through another forum (hes my best mate in uni) and now its just habit. I even say it infront of strangers which sometimes raises and eyebrow but mostly nothing happens.

I never say "ROFL" or "LOL", thats really bad. I do keep thinking in internet shorthand like ATM, BTW, AFAIK and a few others but never say them.

I've found the bluelight forum to become addictive for me from a more social aspect. The fact that I've now met and become friends with so many bluelighters means that I use the board so often to interact with people whom I now call friends, and also that I enjoy contributing to the many forums and making new friends who I often meet at some stage.

I believe bluelight is a real community within itself, depending on where you spend your time talking, how actively involved you are in meet ups, events, etc - It can become quiet the new social scene for some of us.

shals :D

I've come damn close a couple times to saying LOL instead of laughing. Mainly because I don't have one of those personality types where I actually laugh after everything I say, unless there's a joke or something "funny" to laugh at. But online I DO tend to have that personality, i.e. typing LOL when I'm not really laughing. (scandal!) Since I don't have a fake "real life" laugh, I nearly say LOL. Hasn't happened for awhile though.

For the test I'm always INTP or ENTP...guess it depends on my mood. I think ENTJ would be fun.

I think LOL to myself all of the time. Like, alllll of the time. As in...I'll read a greeting card, laugh silently to myself, and think "L-O-L". Then I decide that I want to buy it for a friend, go to the check out lane, realize it's going to be another twenty minutes, and think "Sigh. Here we go again."

gee..... RED HAZE -

sounds like ya addicted to these forums :)

I've always been better at written communication than verbal, that's just the way I'm wired..

However, I do see ya point spgeddi...I used to be the biggest phone-whore in the world, and it annoyed the fuck out of me that so many people were so sms-reliant that they never actually called their friends anymore.

Nowadays though, I would SO rather communicate via sms or email than verbally more often than not....it's very strange and I think it does portray some kind of social retardation...or maybe it's just social evolution?

Regardless, I don't think I've got too much to worry about...I still spend as much on the home phone as my other two housemates put together.... 8(

I remember when I was seriously addicted to "Doom" when something happened in my life that I didn't like I with think "press ctrl r" which is the quick reload to where I was before to have another go. lol

TJiLLe|dk said:
heh yep.. i somehow feel i'm addicted to messageboards and irc chat too :)

i can't have a party at my own place without constantly watching the monitor, to see if i miss anything.

You must be the life and soul.

I'm addicted too, but its carried over to real life, I feel i have to chime in on everything.
Johny 5 is alive! Someone shut me down!!