• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Addiction I have a problem

This is the reason that treatment programs actually exist. I needed enough time away from my self-destructive patterns to see that self-destructive patterns existed. Lack of will-power has never been my problem. In fact, I have tremendous will-power. I will continue to do something that is destroying me even after those with lesser wills would have decided it was a good idea to stop. I did time in a facility to protect me from me and now base long-term recovery on a 24 hour at a time basis. I am not sure what your government job entails, but addiction is not as stigmatized as it once was. HIPAA laws protect people from having their immediate supervisors become aware of their circumstances. FMLA (Family Medical Leave Act) exists to protect people like us. Fear is an ugly thing. It will twist my perception to the point where I am paralyzed. In that paralysis I continued to use even when I no longer wanted to because it was the only way that was apparent to me.

Actually inpatient treatment programs "work so well" primarily because they are a cash cow. Getting time away from one's drug using lifestyle is very very important in early recovery as you point out, but at some point you'll have to go back. They are actually beginning to find that well structures IOP programs with the appropriate medical supervision and working with a qualified team of professionals has higher long terms rates of recovery than inpatient programs alone. But they don't make nearly as much money for those involved in operating them, hence they are less popular.

Sadly, at the end of the day, given the current popular treatment model in America it is all about money. Welcome to privatized addition treatment, where profit maximization and not patient outcome is the name of the game at the end of the day.

Well I am certainly in favor of IOPs over in-patient treatment if the participant is willing to do more work than the 2 hour session 3 days a week.

Agreed, that hardly seems to be very intensive IMO. Early recovery generally tends to require a lot more time and effort than a mere six hours a week!

I'm pulling away from this really good. I'm laying the tracks for a healthy recovery. Eating 3 healthy meals a day, working 4 days a week, and jogging 30 minutes daily.

I'm sober 4 days. I've been fighting the cravings really well but a major roadblock is the tedium and idle time I have at work. I gave in today and ordered some junk (half a gram), I might relapse a little this weekend. What can I do to fight against these cravings? I feel like I automatically just think about meth and I have little power against it.

At least I'm making progress

What can you do to fill up your time this during the weekend that would make the substance use impractical? Taking on commitments (which I find meaningful and enjoyable) in life that I will not be able to fullfill if I'm under the influence is a pretty effective way of preventing myself from letting my mind go down that slippery slope toward harmful use.

In terms of the cravings, you have pretty well established patterns of substance use, so it's only natural you're thoughts will drift towards the direction of harmful substance use. The key is being aware of the process of how they get there. What leads you to end up fantasying about using? How do thoughts related to substance use make you feel (in the body and emotionally)? How does engaging in "unwholesome" thought patterns promote unskillful/unhealthy actions, while how does engaging in "wholesome" thought patterns promote healthier, more skillful forms of action?

Awareness is crucial in understanding the craving mind my friend. It's really hard to gain awareness when we're really hard on ourselves. Try and not beat yourself up too much for slipping up, and do your upmost to stay as aware of your mind and body if you do end up using as possible.

Dispose of the meth once it arrives and do not use it. Delete all of your dealers' numbers and the contact information for anyone who you use meth with.

Check into a rehab, or even a mental hospital. This will separate you from the drugs, and you will get sober time, you will get help for your suicide attempt/self harm, get therapy, and learn how to stay sober. Also hit up NA and CMA-crystal meth anonymous meetings.

https://crystalmeth.org/cma-meetings/cma-meeting-map.html

But the main important thing is ask yourself is do you really actually want to quit and stop using meth and other drugs, get help, and become sober?

Last edited:
I'd be very, very, very careful about checking into a rehab or mental hospital. They often can do more harm than good. Ideally getting rid of the drugs and the dealers numbers is the way to go if one is mostly interested in abstinence, but as your post suggested I also get the feeling the OP is struggling to come to grips with their relationships with stims.

I remember with opioids coming to terms with my love for them was the the first step in realizing I didn't have to use them just because I was fascinated with them. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it isn't nearly as clear cut and straight forward as your post implies Priest. I mean, it is, and it isn't.

Dispose of the meth once it arrives and do not use it. Delete all of your dealers' numbers and the contact information for anyone who you use meth with.

Check into a rehab, or even a mental hospital. This will separate you from the drugs, and you will get sober time, you will get help for your suicide attempt/self harm, get therapy, and learn how to stay sober. Also hit up NA and CMA-crystal meth anonymous meetings.

https://crystalmeth.org/cma-meetings/cma-meeting-map.html

But the main important thing is ask yourself is do you really actually want to quit and stop using meth and other drugs, get help, and become sober?

My job would fire me, and it's only a weekend indulgence at the worst at this point. I'm actually riding this out very well, I'm makin a lot of progress.

And no, I really don't. I'm very unhappy with my life, but I need to find better ways to handle it.

What is it about your life that is so unsatisfying right now cyberius? I mean outside of drug use.

I have heard that long term use of amphetamine type drugs can lead to some really uncomfortable depressive type disorders, so relying on the use of a particular substance known to lend itself to increasing the prevalence of mood disorders does not sound all that sustainable long term. I mean, at least you're not binging staying up for days using it every day of the week, but nonetheless as you are aware it isn't exactly an ideal situation you find yourself in. Sounds hard.

I'd be curious to hear more about why you find the methamp use so attractive though, as it tends to indicate something else is missing in life when this kind of substance use (the kind we aren't entirely comfortable with, the lesser of two evils kind) is prevalent.

I feel alone, like I feel distant from my girlfriend and everyone else around me, and I have no idea why. I think it could be because I'm narcissistic but I have a lot anxiety and I think I'm really unpleasant to be around because I've been bullied a lot when I was younger.

Last edited:
My job would fire me, and it's only a weekend indulgence at the worst at this point. I'm actually riding this out very well, I'm makin a lot of progress.

And no, I really don't. I'm very unhappy with my life, but I need to find better ways to handle it.

Your job is not the important thing here.

What's the most important thing is getting sober from meth, getting help for how you had a psychotic break, getting help for your suicide attempt where you slit your wrist, and staying sober from meth and other drugs so you don't relapse. Make this your #1 priority as your meth addiction/disease is only going to get worse.

Last edited:
I feel alone, like I feel distant from my girlfriend and everyone else around me, and I have no idea why. I think it could be because I'm narcissistic but I have a lot anxiety and I think I'm really unpleasant to be around because I've been bullied a lot when I was younger.

Do you have any supportive people in your life who have any idea of what your struggling with? Does your girlfriend know you've been having a hard time with difficult emotions? I imagine you aren't finding the kind of gentle support you have needed from loved ones, or these kinds of feelings of isolation/alienation wouldn't be so challenging to begin with (as you'd be able to rely on supportive relations already established in your life - and it doesn't sound like you have what you really need in your current relationships).

It's hard to find ways to manage difficult feelings outside of substance use when we are left to deal with them all on our own. It is largely the reason we find substance use so attractive in the first place when it comes to managing our mood. Of course, finding people to help us work to manage our mood is challenging in its own right for a lot of reasons - it requires putting one's self out there, being vulnerable to a degree and getting into what might be a deep pool of poison and pain that is the inauthenticity we come to discover in our lives when we open up authentically to other people.

Finding space places, a supportive community or nurturing relationships with other individuals where you can totally let yourself be transparent, or at least work on being more transparent and open than you currently might be (from your posts and what you mentioned about the bullying I imagine you are fairly guarded/defensive, which is only understandable given your situation) is where I'd suggest concentrating your effort right now.

And locating such safe spaces and nurturing relationships is only possible once we have begun to identify some of the things we are passionate about in life and value, in order to find others who share similar interests whom we can begin to work on connecting with. Some communities offer better opportunities for this than others. I find BL to be very useful for this, but it's also very limited in that it is limited to virtual reality and doesn't involve a bricks and mortar place IRL.

There are lots of therapeutic communities out there you use to begin to form the connection necessary to becoming more authentic though. And the process need not be painful, at least not if you go at your own individual pace that works for you. After all, you have the rest of your life to figure shit out. Especially considering it doesn't sound like your substance use is particularly out of control ATM (as you said you limited it mostly to weekend IIRC).

Anyways, it's good to have you in SL cyberius! Hope this made sense. Going internal deeply like this post suggests is not for the faint of heart and is anything but easy, but the results of the journey are exactly what I hear you wanting: a more meaningful life that doesn't necessarily require drug use to feel fulfilling on the daily.

I made a huge step forward. I came clean to my girlfriend and we agreed that in a month I can have the meth I bought, if I still want it. This is really helping the cravings go away.

I'll have gone 1 week 1 month without it by the time this happens.

Nice work! That is something to be celebrated :) I bet opening up to her took a large weight off of your shoulders.

Nice work! That is something to be celebrated :) I bet opening up to her took a large weight off of your shoulders.

Took meth again, up three days Sat-Mon (5 hours of sleep). I had a really difficult day at work Friday and ended up convincing her to give me the drugs early. I didn't even enjoy the high at all and I completely isolated myself for the larger half of it. I just enjoyed the temporary decline of mental function and shame but they've both come back full force.

OCD predisposition, anxiety, heavy inner tension, my parents drank a lot. My mind just boils with a million unsolvable riddles, I never get any relief or relaxation even when I sleep. I literally have no idea what to do, I'm sitting here awake all night with work in 3 hours because if I get sleep or not I'm going to be uncomfortable.

How would I even go about forming positive relationships in this state? My constant state of discontent and tension must make me look like a school shooter. My mood doesn't even change anymore, when I start to feel again I get anxious until I repress it and go back to depression. I can't even say I feel any worse after this binge, why wouldn't I keep using if I don't get an ounce of relief anywhere else in life?

Took meth again, up three days Sat-Mon (5 hours of sleep). I had a really difficult day at work Friday and ended up convincing her to give me the drugs early.

This is still part of your addiction. You're still addicted. It can really seem like you're making headway and progress, but sometimes we're just fooling ourselves. I used to think I was doing well with my taper, but I'd end up increasing the dosage, or just use more times throughout the day.

If your parents were alcoholics, you're likely in need of some therapy. Have you ever tried going to a therapist before?

Cap, I'd probably just be given lexapro (I managed to buy some on the street). Most my problems come from a chemical imbalance and I made great strides in my life when I had ssri's. I have only felt truly happy and calm in my life the 2-3 months I was on, but then they ran out. :(

They weren't alcoholics (it never impacted their lives negatively), but they've been drinking socially and 1-2 beers a night at home for many many years. I'm thinking my nerves are more sensitive thinking of this.

Cap, I'd probably just be given lexapro (I managed to buy some on the street). Most my problems come from a chemical imbalance and I made great strides in my life when I had ssri's. I have only felt truly happy and calm in my life the 2-3 months I was on, but then they ran out. :(

Why can't you try SSRI therapy again?

They weren't alcoholics (it never impacted their lives negatively), but they've been drinking socially and 1-2 beers a night at home for many many years. I'm thinking my nerves are more sensitive thinking of this.

Can you get prescribed lexapro by a doctor?

Can you check into a rehab or place to get clean from the meth? You're in crisis mode and have reached bottom, and getting sober/clean yourself is not an option.

You're absolutely right, it is very difficult to foment healthy relationships with others when you are not able to take care of your most basic needs (like getting enough sleep, nourishment, etc). On the one hand, it sounds like you would benefit from working on your relationship to the fact that life can be shitty, but I don't really think that will be entirely valuable right now.

I encourage you more so to get yourself back on Lexapro or another suitable SSRI, and doing whatever you can to do the things that promote healthy habits and make it easier for you to take good care of yourself on the daily.

getting sober/clean yourself is not an option.

That isn't helpful. Many people have no choice but to get sober themselves, and most do just that - without rehab.