• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction I "finally" moved away from using insulin pins last night

infantannihilator

Bluelighter
I'd like to share my findings for other potential 'needle newbies' in the hopes you can gain some insight. I know a lot of this information is out there, but quite often its all over the place, and disjointed. I've seen a few threads regarding "favourite needle" types but there's usually not much other than "dis is the best"

I am by no means what I'd call experienced or a veteran or I suppose even an intermediate; I first used the needle back in November 2014 when I said fuck it and pulled out the pins I had bought for volumetric NBOMe dosing and decided to shoot methylone without care for the results (as I was suicidal at the time). Best rush to date for me by the way. I didn't touch anything for a few months and over the past two months I've been using coke as well as some RCs.

At first I'd go to the pharmacy, all meek, and ask for a pack of insulin syringes, take whatever they gave me and get the fuck out of dodge. They're always BD 1cc 30g, 8-12mm length pins. I'd get my 10 pack, pay the $5 and hightail it out of there. Here in Canada we're not asked about anything, they're sold without question, but still the stigma looms in my mind. It's neither here nor there, but I'm a very well put together person and you'd never guess I was one of those horrible intravenous drug users, so I've gotten some strange looks from cute pharmacist chicks before (lol).

Now I noticed, and had read this, but sometimes the bevels were so poorly ground that even a 30g needle was hard to get into the vein. I even had one occasion where under close inspection the bevel was more of a pitchfork, or in some cases where it looks like the bevel was ground twice but 90 degrees to each other which basically made a spike. I had read about people saying similar things, and to go for a 27g or 28g because they're manufactured better - I thought, "shit those must be huge, Ill try for 29 I guess." I would ask at different pharmacies and they'd never have the 27/28/29g insulin pins; one store did once but only in 1/3cc which is maybe enough for coke, but not enough for others. So I was "stuck" with 30g pins. I have 'small' hands, and with other substances that I basically needed an entire 1ml a shot (to dilute substances that are pretty caustic, and in truth 1ml was NOT enough) I found it VERY difficult to self administer the whole 1ml shot in a 1ml pin without excessive movement - it made registering harder and putting it in even harder. In the course of an evening doing whatever substance (multiple repeated injections) I'd usually end up with one accidental miss, poke through, or leakage I suppose leading to slight bruising but I bruise very easily so this wasn't much of a thing to me. Call it newb mistakes, but read on:

Last night I hit a different pharmacy, went up and I asked for a 27 or 28g 1/2" insulin syringe. I was going to be doing coke so this time I didnt exactly mind if it was 1/2cc. He didn't have but then he casually asked me, "this isn't for insulin right?" and I said "no its not." He goes around the other side and pulls out a box of 27g 1/2" needles and brings them to me, I saw them individually packed, and thinking they were insulin pins said "oh these are individual?" and he says no these are just the needles. He gathered Id never used this way and then asked what size barrel I wanted. I asked for the smallest possible and he gave me 3ml ones. I thought maybe they'd be too big, but I grabbed 3 of them and 10 needles. The total cost was $5.85, a little bit more, but nothing major to me anyway.

Results:
WOW, SO MUCH BETTER:

1) Given that it's a little harder to see 20-30 units register in a 3ml barrel I simply drew my solution up and then another 50-70 units, no biggie
2) Registering and injecting is 100x easier, the barrel is bigger which gives you a better hold keeping movement down, and your hand isnt stretched to its limit and trying to fumble with a pluger thats about to fall out, making the whole injection MUCH smoother
3) 27g needles are really not that much bigger than 30g - 30g is .01225" and 27g is .01625" - this is literally no bigger than a hair
4) each and every single needle went in like butter compared to the insulin syringes I used in the past, although I noticed the effect of them dulling was more pronounced when I couldn't find a vein and had to pull out and retry
4a) The reason I had to pull out and retry was because I didn't have my angles right - I suppose with the 30g I was able to get away with it and the needle would make its way into the vein at a VERY shallow angle, and as a result of this is probably why I would end up with bruising or "misses" (leakage)

I shot up 10 times, I reused each barrel 3-4 times by rinsing with water, then iso, then thoroughly with water after. Not a single miss, not a single bruise, each and every injection was absolutely flawless. Today I have nothing but what looks like a few sandmite marks, which for me being a machinist and stabbing myself with needle like metal chips all the time really doesnt look out of place, and youd really have to inspect my arm to see anything. My technique was really not any different than with the slinpins, but everything went a LOT smoother, I only learned that I need to use a little steeper angle with the bigger gauge to actually get in the vein without just sliding under the skin, once it registers you can lay it down at a shallower angle and the larger barrel rests against your arm which dramatically helps with movement minimization.

I HIGHLY reccomend gathering your balls, and taking the time to grab what is more ideal for IV use. I was so apprehensive about this at first, but I will NEVER use an insulin pin, EVER again.

Hope this was somewhat informative for some of you guys, little long, but I felt I had to go into all the details and share.

Last edited:
I do not believe I have heard the expression 'Like butter' used in this context before, and I appreciate this thread for that.

[snickers]

lol, you're welcome. Really though, that's how it felt.

I had serious apprehensions about moving to larger gauge needles, for some reason in my mind they just sounded so much larger.. 27g really isn't much larger at all. I am pretty vascular and have some veins that you could stick a 7g (nearly 3/16" fuuuuuuuuu) needle into no problem - though the thought of that freaks me the fuck out. Once I actually looked at a chart of the sizes in inches/mm it kind of opened my eyes. I have no doubts I'd even be comfortable with up to 25g now, not that I'd need to. Kind of strange, but I found drawing water into the 27g w/ 3ml barrel harder than with the slin pins, maybe it was just a perception thing, but it seemed harder.

I really need to work on rotating even more, I have about 4 or 5 I hit, but I find the other ones that aren't as big on my arms roll a lot and make things a prick, even with a proper tourniquet, slapping, pad rubbing etc. though they're plenty big. They swell and pop but I can push them around under the skin really easily still and even the needle tends to push them out of the way 8(