• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids I don't get why people say methadone doesn't get you high.

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I've been on maintenance for several years now, and I still get good and plastered for at least a few hours after taking my morning dose. Granted, I'm on a high dose of about 220 mg per day (sometimes I take more, sometimes less), but you would think that I'd have gotten used to it by now regardless of the dosage. Sometimes it hits me harder than other times. But if I take it on an empty stomach as I nearly always do, I can expect strong opiate effects that last throughout the day - and a very strong high for a few hours after taking it.

Doesn't anybody else feel their daily dose like this?

You are on a very high dose - I'm on 48mg per day and while i do feel slight euphoria on occasion after i dose, i usually don't notice anything at all. Ever thought about coming down on your dose? Why so high?

You are on a very high dose - I'm on 48mg per day and while i do feel slight euphoria on occasion after i dose, i usually don't notice anything at all. Ever thought about coming down on your dose? Why so high?

I have a very high tolerance and also have a very rapid clearance rate. When I was taking less, I would start feeling sick before my next dose the next morning....sometimes REALLY sick. Still, I have been on this dose for about three years now; wouldn't that mean the dose, while high, isn't why I get so much out of it? At any rate, I actually did just drop down by 5 mg and will likely continue to do so. It helps me with several other problems though such as allergies and migraines, so I don't know when or even if I'll go off of it forever.

I felt my methadone during the first two or three weeks at the clinic. I was taking 65 mg a day and that's the highest I was willing to go. Methadone tablets I'd buy on the streets and take every so often would get me pretty buzzed but after a while at the clinic, it just made me feel sleepy. That's about it.

Yeah, that's what most people say. This is different though; it's been more than three YEARS! Are you guys all saying that you don't even feel your methadone at all (or feel it only very slightly) about an hour or so after you take it??

I think after a while people start associating being completely sedated and out of it with high-I mean, I know I kind of settled for that after a while when I realized heroin just wasn't giving me that euphoric buzz anymore. But it's all semantics really.

Anyone who says that methadone 'doesn't get you high', is insane, because it's one of the strongest opioids available in the United States. Granted after a while one builds a tolerance, but you still feel something. I've been on methadone maintenance a few times and I always 'felt' my dose. I can't say I was getting plastered, but for a good 3 hours I'd be feeling pretty nice.

I can't speak on maintenance but I use methadone recreationally once in awhile and it gets me pretty rekt lol

Well one man's trash is another mans treasure, ya know..?

Simply because if you consider the fact that there's 7 some odd billion DIFFERENT individual people on the planet earth...it stands to reason that SOME individuals will find Methadone very useful (i.e. Love it) and it also stands to reason that an equal, or probably even greater number of people respond negatively to Methadone.

I happen to be someone who's body reacts QUITE negatively to methadone. And it only took taking it once to know it, too.
Did it get me high?
Probably..not really... but the thing I remember most about it were the nerve-racking arrhythmias, it's repulsively long duration of action, and the fact that taking that one dose was enough to cause a period of protracted anxiety, the likes of which I haven't felt since Obama's first term...probably because my heart was beating sideways. That was the closest I came to giving up pot..and probably life as well!..I mean I'd take one puff and have such anxiety I considered going to the ER for a heart checkup....ONLY time any drug has ever pushed me that far.
In retrospect, I honestly would have felt better if I'd dove headfirst into that withdrawal the old-fashioned way. Booze, weed, benzos, stims...ANYTHING but methadone.

Needless to say, Methadone has found itself at the TOP of my opioid shit-list (which is VERY short, btw), with Demerol a close second. I'm not sure there is a third...yet.

I'm not trying to knock Methadone, not only does it do wonders for a lot of addicts probably, but some pain patients probably benefit as well. I have friends who swear by methadone. I'm just saying, Like Lyrica (lol crummy commercials) Methadone is NOT for everyone.

And I like what Z- added about how a lot of people confuse being "high" with simply being "intoxicated". IME there's a BIG difference, as the former is fun & useful, while the latter I find completely unpleasant and proabably ends up causing more problems than the former.
Intoxication is when people get into trouble...bad driving, bad judgment, just general impairment is bad for you're survival, period.

When I take Opiates, I take ENOUGH to feel at peace with the world around me, and to get shit done, but not so much I get all dizzy, or nauseous, or spend 2 hours nodding in the Lazyboy. And I still take quite a dang bit, so if you're getting intoxicated from opiates, you're trying too hard, and you're wasting time, dope, money....everything.

So enjoy you're methadone, OP, just don't give any away ffs somebody could have a heart attack, and there you'd be.

P.S. I felt something when I took that methadone....but compared to even a few hydros it really felt like shit. And after that I didn't get anything done for 2 weeks or so until I finally got some more decent dope...probably partly withdrawal, but the rest was a shitload of anxiety brought on by the done'.

My heart palpitations or PVCS or w/e finally ceased when I got my next bottle of hydros. And the whole thing just shook me up so bad I think I made my 90 last a whole 12 days that month! I really turned a leaf for a few weeks there...hardly smoked any pot, so I had a whole shitload of dank saved up...but after a good 2 months I was completely back to my normal self...0 fucks given.

And unlike OVO up there^ Methadone, for me personally, has a NEGATIVE recreational value...like it's fun if you consider a sense of impending doom fun..yeah, so a pretty good chunk of the population!

^I've been married to weed for 22 years and that first smoke of the day or night always comes with that brief anxious feeling in the pit of my stomach - not an unusual feeling with psychoactive substances.....well ever since I've been on either an SSRI or now an SNRI that brief anxiety and paranoia is non-existent. So ultimately those that get really anxious and paranoid on weed could control or perhaps even erase those more 'negative' effects.

I can't speak on maintenance but I use methadone recreationally once in awhile and it gets me pretty rekt lol

This...only 10mg of Polamidon (Levo-Methadone) gets me high as fuck for a whole day. And I have a medium tolrance due to taking low dose Bupre for years with pauses inbetween.