• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction I am very dehydrated possible to buy saline at pharmacy in USA?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is true SKL and is always an option. I know many here are quite adept at self administering IV drugs, but probably havent had experience with slow infusion. And god forbid someone orders hypertonic saline or screws up the rate.

Felonious, I looked into it. There are many pharmacies and skilled nursing facilities that do indeed offer rehydration infusion services. It usually is limited to patients who need it as a result of chronic disease as there is poor to no reimbursement for home infusion for acute conditions. They are lobbying to get Medicare to pay for home infusion for acute conditions and private payors cover it more often than government sponsored healthcare and you could always pay yourself.

Most of the accredited places do not diagnose patients and either contract with places to serve their patients or have doctors refer patients to them. There are some that do have doctors on staff to diagnose and then have the nurse/pharmacist administer. Walgreens needs a patient's doctor to prescribe home infusion before they will do it.

I also found there are doctors in NYC and Vegas who offer hangover relief by providing IV hydration and things like anti-emetics and vitamins. You pay 399 bucks to the NYC guy and are allowed two 2L infusions per month.

So it is kind of available to do what you asked, Felonious. It depends where you are and what company you choose but think it will be much more prominent relatively soon.

Crimsonjunk, sorry to derail your thread. Please keep us posted on how you are doing.

That wasn't a derail at all dude. I am good man I got a real IV at a hospital :), This has actually turned into a badass thread and I am kind of proud about it for real. So keep goingI!
So yeah I am fine I think. I love this damn place!

Ok so if it had been make or break this morning I would have mixed water with a tiny bit of salt and taken it like an enema. I feel like that would work like plugging does. Or did someone already say that?

I can't say for sure because I don't know what the medical system is like where you live, but this would absolutely never happen in any hospital I've ever seen. It isn't a good thing either, even if they did mitigate withdrawal with some opioids. If they give you a small amount and discharge you hours later, it will only delay the same symptoms. Even if they gave you a take-home Rx (even less likely when a patients walks in to an ER in severe withdrawal), it still only delays the inevitable.

I was thinking the exact same thing. It's been my experience that the best relief I've gotten in the ER for dope sickness was a saline IV, compazine ( very similar to Zofran) and diphenhydramine aka Benadryl. One time they did give me a very small dosing of IV dilaudid but this was because on top of being sick, I have a very well documented history of chronic and long lasting headaches that require IV opiates in order for them to break and give my Fioricet w/o codeine a chance to work it's magic. then there was a time where I went in dope sick again, but they did not give me the Dilaudid and I actually felt better than when they did give it to me. The key point I'm trying to make is that neither time did they send me HOME with narcotic pain meds.

Sorry for the somewhat incoherent rambling. I'm actually on OxyContin and Oxycodone IR for a very painful back injury

Anywho, I hope you were able to find some relief and copious amounts

This has actually turned into a badass thread and I am kind of proud about it for real. So keep goingI!
So yeah I am fine I think. I love this damn place!

I am glad this thread is taking the shape you want it to take.
Just pretend that my advice was a "commercial break", and then I will stop feeling like such an idiot for giving advice on oral rehydration. I totally blame my ADD for this and therefore it must be correct and perfect.

So in the interest of a solid thread, I just want to let everyone know that taking tiny sips of oral rehydration solutions over many hours should elliminate any nausea associated with consumption of fluids.

DAMN, I just #%$ked it up again on the one hand, but on the other hand I am getting that reward feeling and at the same time making this a kickass thread.

I feel good about it, and am glad you got the treatment you needed.

Oh, by the way, don't forget to take little sip.............................. OMG, let me sign off before screwing up a perfect post............ ( lol, sorry dude ,, I NEEDED to post this before I sign out today) and the info is solid, just felt like a little bit of creative writing was needed just to keep you peeps on your toes.

:! 8) %)

SL

Kittycat5 said:
I also found there are doctors in NYC and Vegas who offer hangover relief by providing IV hydration and things like anti-emetics and vitamins. You pay 399 bucks to the NYC guy and are allowed two 2L infusions per month.

Really? This is a thing? $399 for starting an IV, a banana bag and some Zofran? $20 bucks worth of equipment and drugs and minimal time invested. Are they doing home visits? Add a little for time and gas money this still isn't a bad side gig.

d0f745a6cc086a7a3ca23f6c4ab7033b.480x352x1.jpg

But yeah, when I've done my home IV hydration hangover remedy generally speaking I've been too tremulous and zonked to do it for myself. Good thing most of my friends are either (a) junkies, (b) fellow medical professionals, or (c) both.

I am glad this thread is taking the shape you want it to take.
Just pretend that my advice was a "commercial break", and then I will stop feeling like such an idiot for giving advice on oral rehydration. I totally blame my ADD for this and therefore it must be correct and perfect.

So in the interest of a solid thread, I just want to let everyone know that taking tiny sips of oral rehydration solutions over many hours should elliminate any nausea associated with consumption of fluids.

DAMN, I just #%$ked it up again on the one hand, but on the other hand I am getting that reward feeling and at the same time making this a kickass thread.

I feel good about it, and am glad you got the treatment you needed.

Oh, by the way, don't forget to take little sip.............................. OMG, let me sign off before screwing up a perfect post............ ( lol, sorry dude ,, I NEEDED to post this before I sign out today) and the info is solid, just felt like a little bit of creative writing was needed just to keep you peeps on your toes.

:! 8) %)

SL

haha point taken.

Really? This is a thing? $399 for starting an IV, a banana bag and some Zofran? $20 bucks worth of equipment and drugs and minimal time invested. Are they doing home visits? Add a little for time and gas money this still isn't a bad side gig.

d0f745a6cc086a7a3ca23f6c4ab7033b.480x352x1.jpg

But yeah, when I've done my home IV hydration hangover remedy generally speaking I've been too tremulous and zonked to do it for myself. Good thing most of my friends are either (a) junkies, (b) fellow medical professionals, or (c) both.

It is indeed. And get this, the one in Vegas is a bus that goes up and down the strip doing it.

Here is the NYC one.

https://www.theivdoc.com/services

LR is an interesting choice, but it seems kinda like overkill. A little much for administration willy nilly to hungover club kids, don't you think? I usually associate it with burn patients and serious trauma (n.b. haven't had any medical/surgical/general hospital type experience for over a decade...work strictly in a psych hospital, we hardly even do IV's here.) But after the night of overindulgence, maybe you need the electrolytes. I'm by nature pretty conservative about these things so I'd worry about the potassium.

The whole thing seems like overkill. I give him credit for finding a unique way to get rich people to blow their cash.

The whole thing seems like overkill. I give him credit for finding a unique way to get rich people to blow their cash.

True.

Now, say I should lose my job or need an extra few quasi-illicit bucks, quod deus avertat, now I have firmly ledged in the back of my brain a business plan to keep myself in rent, cocktails, and food. 100% marked-up (and this will be cheaper than the boutique doctors you mention) simple IV hangover cure, that'd be a liter or less of some NS, maybe D5NS or D5½NS, if we're feeling adventurous maybe D5½NSK although I'd be paranoid about cardiac stuff, some B vitamins, whatever ... I don't think I'd bother with LR, seems rather baroque ... add maybe if a little bit of sedation, advertise online, word of mouth, business cards handed out in clubs, on the seedier parts of craigslist or whatever, profit. I'll come over to you, start the IV infusion, make sure it's going OK, leave you with instructions, and jet to my next appointment. Doesn't sound like a bad gig at all.

That sounds like a recipe for a lawsuit. You would need some sort of waiver that the "patient" signed before you did the treatment. You definitely need a waiver in the states...we are the "litigation nation"

OP made a personal and responsible decision to have this thread closed. Thank you for being a prime example of responsibility. CLOSED as per request.

Status
Not open for further replies.