• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

I am fishon thanks for welcoming me

fishon

Greenlighter
I am new to Blue light I hope to gather helpful information and insight. I am currently prescribed and am taking 60 milligrams of Adderall and 100 milligrams of Metoprolol. I understand metoprolol is a beta blocker but I am not sure what side effects or how they interact. If someone could explain in lay mans terms what possible problems if any I might expect it will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Welcome to Bluelight fishon, thanks for joining us !!

I will move your thread to Other Drugs where you'll get more answers.

From a little light research they seem to be used to regulate bloodpressure and assist with mood issues. If they were prescribed together, I'd wager that they're safe.

Adderall , or Amps, are known to raise your BP and increase heart rate...guessing you were put on one rx to help keep the side effects down from the other.

Procardia used to be a well knowm drug in the 90's to help counter side effects with Ritalin.

I appreciate you sharing your knowledge,my doctor prescribed the Metoprolol because my B.P. went up considerably. It went from 135/80 to 185/100. The issues I am having with the Metoprolol is the side effects, immediate weight gain, 8-10 lbs in two weeks and swelling in my lower legs,neither of which I have ever experienced. My other concern was that it is a beta blocker, I am not sure considering all these issues that its a logical choice for lowering my blood pressure. I will do some research on Procardia and will greatly appreciate it if you could explain the process of how these drugs work if at all possible.

Thank you so much,obviously I am the FNG,I will catch on eventually.

From a little light research they seem to be used to regulate bloodpressure and assist with mood issues. If they were prescribed together, I'd wager that they're safe.
I was experiencing some side effects,nothing too bad just some slight swelling in my legs,it kinda freaked me out because I have never had anything like that happen before,also some weight gain. I believe I am retaining water. Lol I never thought I would say that. Thank you for your response Pugsy.

I can appreciate your quest for knowledge here but aren't these questions and concerns you should be talking to your prescribing physician about? Would he not be in the best position to answer & address your concerns?

Well unfortunately his nurse practitioner was the only one available and these are new medications for me. Thankfully numerous other kind people took pity on me and explained to me the possible interactions. I am new here and one of the people that work here at blue light moved my post here. Sorry if I bored or offended you in any way. I was under the impression this was created so people could share their knowledge and experience with those less fortunate. Maybe I just bore you and I should switch topic to my two decades of living with a broken spine from crab fishing and my years of opiate use and my eventual switch to suboxone. Sorry I guess I will figure this out on my own since my post is so obviously beneath you Oh mighty pinpoint.

I was just curious if you were being prescribed them by someone who knew what was going on with you. Adderall is a CNS stimulant that releases dopamine (the feel-good neurotransmitter, among other things) and norepinephrine, which is part of the 'fight-or-flight' response and likely responsible for your heightened BP. The beta blocker works by blocking the effects of the hormone epinephrine aka adrenaline. When you take beta blockers, the heart beats more slowly and with less force, thereby reducing blood pressure. So that's how they work, in layman's' terms.

And I prefer 'almighty pinpoint', not 'oh mighty pinpoint'.

I can appreciate your quest for knowledge here but aren't these questions and concerns you should be talking to your prescribing physician about? Would he not be in the best position to answer & address your concerns?

Agreed. Nothing can substitute good medical advice.