• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Hyperventilating Rapidly Lowers Blood Alcohol Levels

CFC

Bluelight Crew
Hyperventilating can help clear alcohol from body faster, researchers find

Discovery could potentially help treat patients suffering from alcohol poisoning, Canadian team says

Leyland Cecco in Toronto

Researchers in Canada have discovered that hyperventilation can significantly increase the rate at which the body metabolizes alcohol, in a breakthrough that could save thousands of lives.

Three million people around the world die from alcohol-related deaths each year and emergency room physicians have few effective tools to treat acute alcohol poisoning.

In a proof-of-concept paper published this week in the journal Scientific Reports, a group of Toronto researchers describe how hyperventilating into a device which regulates carbon dioxide levels can eliminate alcohol far faster than conventional treatments.

The device is the size of a briefcase and delivers carbon dioxide to users from a tank, ensuring that CO2 levels in the blood remain constant – thus preventing dizziness and nausea during hyperventilation.

Read on below:

Yus! I can now drive the morning after.

I drink so much that my blood alcohol levels are usually well above legal drinking limits even after 8 hours sleep. Recently found out that I've been driving with BAC well above legal limits for years and years now even though I've felt fine and normal. My borther-in-law had a portable breathalyser and it was quite the shock.

Just have to do some Wim Hof huffing now and I'm good to go!

That or quit drinking. ;)

PS: Of course the research was done in Toronto....enough degens around here that needed this to be true.

Reactions: CFC
I've been driving with BAC well above legal limits for years and years now even though I've felt fine and normal

Yeah I've also often found that I have the perception of being sober again only an hour or two after heavy drinking. Usually it's only a few subtle things that hint I'm probably still way over the limit and impaired.

Not to rain on the parade and who I am to question the experts. However...

Do note that a certain device is mentioned and this therefore done in a controlled environment and setting.

I don’t believe it’s a do-it-yourself-magic-fix or workaround in the unfortunate event of being pulled over while possibly being under the influence. Hyperventilation can lead to self-induced hypocapnia in certain individuals (and alcohol could exasperate the situation in certain instances). Not to mention the fact that with a twist it is used in the playing of the choking game that’s ever so popular with many teens (and some die as a result) (and it’s also been touted as a suicide method, albeit rather ineffective and uncommon, and also with a twist or two).

I’m sure in the context of the article and thread the above has been thought of and taken into account. Just mentioning that forced or voluntary or hyperventilation by an individual could carry a risk i.e. a sort of “don’t try this at home (alone)” type of gig.

Reactions: CFC
Not to rain on the parade and who I am to question the experts. However...

Do note that a certain device is mentioned and this therefore done in a controlled environment and setting.

I don’t believe it’s a do-it-yourself-magic-fix or workaround in the unfortunate event of being pulled over while possibly being under the influence. Hyperventilation can lead to self-induced hypocapnia in certain individuals (and alcohol could exasperate the situation in certain instances). Not to mention the fact that with a twist it is used in the playing of the choking game that’s ever so popular with many teens (and some die as a result) (and it’s also been touted as a suicide method, albeit rather ineffective and uncommon, and also with a twist or two).

I’m sure in the context of the article and thread the above has been thought of and taken into account. Just mentioning that forced or voluntary or hyperventilation by an individual could carry a risk i.e. a sort of “don’t try this at home (alone)” type of gig.

Yeah it's explained in the article, but you just know there'll be someone somewhere keen enough to give it a go without added CO2 anyway ;)

also kids blower their head in their momma's house bcz they think holdin ur breath intensifies ur weed journey

I think drinking water lowers those levels as well. My advice is to take your time. I stagger my drinks quite a bit and so by the end of the day I'm fucked up. Instead of drinking it all at once and blacking out, which is no fun I get to enjoy it more. Mind you, I only drink beer ;)

I think the title of the article is slightly misleading, it seems the CO2 supplemented hyperventilating triples alcohol excretion, but that is still 20 minutes or so of deep breathing per drink best case scenario.

They should make rooms that have higher CO2 so that everybody would automatically breathe deeper. Then at least you wouldn't have to be hooked up to a mask and it could be more reasonable to send drunk folk there for an hour or two before driving.