• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc hydroxzine/alcohol(safety/interactions??)

scorpion91

Greenlighter
I've been taking hydroxzine for some anxiety issues I've been dealing with. It's hydroxzine HCL 25mg. I take it 1-2x a day.

I do drink during the week, but I'm not sure if I'm having interactions when I take hydroxzine. Note, I do wait about 8-10 hours before I decide to drink alcohol let me clear this up.

I did drink on a Thursday night at a bar, I took Hyrodroxzine the night prior. I didn't have a reaction, though, I did have some anxiety like symptoms(palpitation, head rush).

I had one beer on Saturday and it was the same thing.

I last drank last Thursday and a small shot and it wasn't that much of a deal.

I went to a party last Friday. I took Hyroxzine at 8am or so that morning, I started drinking at night. I chugged a bit of my beer down. I felt some anxiety(palpitation, heaviness) and some fatigue. I did pace myself, I didn't act like a drunken frat boy. I did smoke weed, had no issues other than the palpitations I get with weed but that was fine.

I plan to have a small kickback on my birthday at my friend's appartment. I plan to have a couple of beers and some mixed drinks and wine, and smoke a bit of weed. I'm going to play it safe and not take a hydroxzine on Thursday at all, and take the hyrodoxzine by Wednesday afternoon.

Is there a difference between "waiting" after taking hydroxzine to drink than taking hydroxzine and drinking? I mean I'm not taking the pill and drinking alcohol at the same time, I'm not a fucking moron. I do give myself a good amount of time in between taking a pill and drinking alcohol. Though the thing that I'm unsure of, if the anxiety symptoms I'm getting(palpitation, brief head rush) when drinking even though I wait 8-10 hours after taking one pill.

I'm not drinking excessively nor am I alcoholic.

Is taking the pill on Wednesday afternoon and not taking one on Thursday playing it safe for me?

Hydroxzine HCL is the only med I take. I take a multivitamins supplements.

Just wanted some feedback from you guys.

A general rule is not to drink "on" Hydroxyzine. According to wikipedia, the half life of Hydroxyzine is 20-24 hours. If I knew how to post the link I would. Here is some more info for you. One of Hydroxyzine's active metabolites is cyclizine, another antihistamine. The point is, overall, this drug and its active metabolite, have a long half life. It sounds like you would have to wait a few days before it would be out of your system and then safe, in my opinion.

Hydroxyzine is similar in effects to Visteryl and Benedryl. Antihistimes as the above poster stated. Much the same as some allergy medications but also acts for some as a much safer alternative to extremely addictive benzodiazepine, anti anxiety drugs such as Ativan, Klonopin and Xanax.

That being said though, I was prescribed it (along with Xanax that I've now been on for years for panic disorder to hopefully help me to lower my dose of the much more powerful drug) and my bottle specifically states: "Alcohol may intensify the effects of this drug". As for the half life? That I don't know but the above poster obviously did research for you which was nice.

Anyway, all and all....although I personally stopped taking it after 2 months because it (for me) felt exactly like taking Benedryl....if you've had heart palpitations HOURS after taking it and then drinking? That's scary:(!! And I just hope you "play it safe" and either choose one thing or the other. If it helps your anxiety? Take it and don't drink. If it doesn't help it much? Stop taking it if you plan to continue to drink on occasion. Every pill can affect every person in a different way so the safest thing to always do is to go along with what your body is feeling and to me it sounds like this in particular pill is screaming at your body saying: "DON'T DRINK AT ALL IF YOU'RE GOING TO TAKE ME"!!!:)...please just be safe<3