• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Hydrocodone tolerance and/or Mirtazapine issue

aRegularOldPlumbus

Greenlighter
Hello Bluelight! Long time lurker, first time poster

I’m relatively new to opiates and my question pertains to hydrocodone in particular. They don’t seem to work for me any more, and I find it hard to believe its tolerance already. The first time I tried hydrocodone I popped 15mgs and then 45 minutes later popped another 5mg bringing the grand total to 20mg. I began to feel all the tell tale signs (itchiness, good mood, warmness, etc) and around the 2 hour mark I began to nod off for about 20 minutes, followed by a couple of hours of pure euphoria that left me speechless. The next time I tried them (a week later) I got all the same effects minus the nod at 15mg. Now this is when things start going down hill. Another week later I did 20mgs again and felt absolutely nothing. Tried again another week later, same dose, and again absolutely nothing.

Now, all these attempts have been within a month. Any I using too often to keep my tolerance low? Is once a week at 20mg really too often? Surely I should feel something? The last 2 times I literally did not feel a single thing, and its beginning to piss me off, as this shit is expensive.

I also drank 2.5ozs of Promethazine/codeine cough syrup (85mg prometh, 135mg codeine) on New Years Eve and same result, felt absolutely nothing (which pissed me off even more, because you don't even want to know what I paid for half a pint of lean. It was legit too, family source).

The only other possibility I can think of besides tolerance would be that I was recently prescribed 30mg Mirtazapine at night before bed for sleeping. Ive only been on Mirtazapine for a little over a week too, but Ive done a little bit of research and found out this may be the problem as well. At least 1 of my hydrocodone attempts were made after being on mirtazapine, maybe 2. I don't remember correctly.

For what its worth, I also take Bupropion and Gabapentin daily for depression and anxiety, and I’m aware that Gabapentin decreases hydrocodone's bio-availability, so I always skip my dose of gaba when I dose hydrocodone.

What gives? Is Mirtazapine the cock block of opiates? Should I kiss that warm, fuzzy nodding off high good bye? Or is this most likely a tolerance issue?

Thanks guys.

Mitrazapine isnt the problem opiates are the problem. What your experiencing is extremely common. This is why heroin is so popular. First 3 hydros get you buzzed. Then 5. Then you cant afford hydros but you get an oxy then u cant afford more oxy so u start injecting the oxy to get more out of it, then u cant afford seven oxys a day so you go into withdrawl, then they put you on dilaudid and valium but you get out of the hospital and shoot it all in a day so you sell the valium for heroin.

D1nach is right, chasing the dragon is the common term, but this specific case seems odd to me because in my experience i will have the same effects for many months from hydro (if taken only once a week). Mirtazapine may be causing part of the issue, but ive only taken mirtazapine once, and it wasnt in conjunction with opioids, so i dont know too much about it.

If i were you, i would just chalk it up to your genetic makeup and say that maybe opioids/opiates arent the way to go for you.

Also, if you wanna try it again, i would advise adding a small amount (half of your normal dose) of gabapentin to your dose of hydrocodone because gabapentin potentiates opioids. You just dont want to take both of them at the same time. Dose your gabapentin 1.5 to 2 hours before your hydro dose.

Ive never heard of gabapentin potentiating hydrocodone though? I've actually heard quite the opposite. That dosing gabapentin before hydrocodone will lower hydros bio-availibility by 22%, where as taking hydrocodone first, and then gabapentin after words raises gaba's bio-availability by 15% (Need source). Ive experienced effects consistent with that claim, but I can't be sure that the loss in bio-availability can't be attained to tolerance. Also, Ive become ultra tolerant to gabapentin. 3g in one dose produces 0 effects as does 3 grams (300mg increments) staggered every 30 minutes (no effect). I take 1800mg daily.

I just don't want to throw in the towel for opiates after 2 decent go's, nor do I want to work my way up that ladder. Hmm..

Ill most likely wait 2 weeks before trying hydrocodone again. Maybe longer, because its becoming ridiculous.

Although, there is one possibility? Ive read (on wikipedia) that after taking Naltrexone for some time, opiate receptors become ultra sensitive to subsequent opiate use. Has anyone used Naltrexone for this purpose here?

Last edited:
I would definitely advise finding sources for that because all gabapentinoids (including gabapentin itself) are well-known potentiators of opioids/opiates. I have used them in this manner several times, and its in almost every opiate potentiation thread you'll find on this website. I am not saying youre wrong, because for all i know, it might decrease its bioavailability, but im highly doubting it. Either way, try it out if your next few trials dont go very well.

Also, you are in absolutely no need of naltrexone. Yes, it does cause your receptors to become more sensitive, but this is more for people who are addicts and have ridiculous tolerances, whereas you have basically no tolerance (despite what your physical reactions to these opioids have been)

(also, i love the username...gotta love interdimensional cable I and II)

Last edited:
I have to agree with d1nach mirtazapine shouldn't be the problem. When I first started taking opioids recreationally I was already on 30mg of mirtazapine a night, being opiate naive I still got all kinds of euphoria. The only way I was able to keep the good effects without constantly upping my dose was to use once a month.

Well then, it sure does seem to be a tolerance issue then. Ill lay off the opiates for a while (2weeks - 1 month) and see if that makes any difference. As for gabapentin, Ill keep doing some more research on its effects on hydrocodone in particular and opiates in general. The naltrexone was just a suggestion. I'm prescribed it to help curve alcohol cravings (recovering alcoholic) but I wanted to try opiates so I haven't taken it. I got a surplus of it now.

@headhigh - Thanks haha! Ive been binge watching rick and morty lately. Cant get enough. New season soon I hear?!