• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

hydrochloric acid in bupropion pills (IV use)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenriz

Bluelighter
One of the inactive ingredients in generic bupropion pills is hydrochloric acid. People abusing this antidepressant through I.V. administration sometimes report a very intense burning. For the people that know chemistry; could this be caused by the hydrochloric acid, or is bupropion itself a corrosive substance? Also, has anyone tried lowering the pH of the IV solution before injecting? (We all know the dangers of shooting pills, please no flaming).

is buproprion really ...all that fun to IV? preferable/comparable to amphetamines such as meth or speed? why would one IV this? in every area of the world I've been in either meth or speed have been sometimes shockingly easy to come by, why bupropion instead?
not trying to "flame." just genuinely curious.

The buproprion itself is what's irritating. Keep in mind that drugs like methamphetamine, ketamine, cocaine, and heroin are all at least mildly acidic when dissolved in water, and they are also sold as HCl salts... (heroin maybe as acetate)

Hydrochloric acid is not present as free hydrochloric acid when used as an "ingredient" in bupropion pills - it's there in a 1:1 molar ratio, 1 molecule HCl for every molecule of bupropion freebase, to make the drug soluble in water and a nice crystalline substance versus an oily liquid freebase.

Also, lowering pH means to acidify, raising pH is making a solution more alkaline. If you raise the pH too far the buproprion will come out of solution.

is buproprion really ...all that fun to IV?
I think the consensus is there's much better drugs to abuse...

First, thanx for clarifying about the meaning of high or low pH and about the hydrochloric acid. To the second matter; cocaine and amphetamine are way more pleasurable than bupropion.People around here only use it as the last resort of the dopefiend,,when absolutely nothing else is available. Some people get a strong initial rush, as did I, although I wouldn't say it's similar to anything...well, maybe to methylphenidate. But describing the particulars of a drug experience is useless, as it is very subjective. It's a stim-type of rush. And it feels good, but not as good as the classic stims. That's all I can say.

Status
Not open for further replies.