• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin How would a solitary IV opiate user who OD's know when to use Naloxone?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
One last question about Naloxone vials - For those who don't know, these are given away to IV opiate users as an emergency antodote in the event of an OD. They are obviously invaluable and absolutely excellent as a safety measure when you're with a friend or a group who can stick you with it - keeping you alive until you can get proper medical attention. However, my question has to do with the efficacy and purpose of Naloxone if you live alone or happen to be by yourself at a time when OD occurs. I've had that tiny glass ampule forever, and I always wonder what possible situation I could find myself in where I would or could actually use it to save my own life. You obviously can't take it if you only realize how strong your shit really was for a second before becoming unconscious, then possibly dead. This makes it all but useless in this situation.

The second reason however is more problematic (to me, anyway because I always use very low doses of a new batch, but you just never know exactl what you're putting into your body). Let's say I prep a shot and inect, waiting for the rush/effects of it. I can't see any situation here in which I would actually use the Naloxone. That is obviously because I don't pass out, and tell myself and assume in general that it will pass and that I'll get over it. I figure that if I'm awake and aware, there would be no point whatsoever in using it. This effect is GREATLY exacerbated by the fact that the Naloxone would prodouce vicious, nearly unbearable withdrawal symptoms, let alone losing the heroin dose I recently would have taken. This would also require a visit to the ER, assuming the dose was indeed an OD one and the Naloxone may have prevented death. It's very short acting, so going to the hospital ASAP is essential. So you can easily see how this ends up playing out...I would always assume that since I'm conscious and not yet comatose, I'm OK and would therefore never take the drug. Yet if I accidentally took a massive OD which actually WAS lethal, I wouldn't be able to use the Naloxone anyway, being unconscious and going into severe respiratory repression and all the other lovely opiate side-effects.

Do you see what I mean? The only time I can think of at which I would actually use that Naloxone would be if I somehow knew for certain that I was about to pass out and possibly die. There is simply no benchmark of which I am aware that can provide this insight. The natural reaction and behavior of an addicted individual seems almost certain that Naloxone use will be avoided for the reasons I already mentioned. I can only see it working with a sitter, or just a friend or even family member who will see you become unconscious, and save you with the injection. Otherwise, you can't inject yourself while passed out and potentially close to death.

Is there a question in there somewhere?
Yes your assessment is correct. 99.99% of OD would be brought so quick you wouldn't be able to save yourself.
Just to give you a picture, my dad attempted suicide last month after mom passed. He took a bottle of Percocet. He was doing laps around the kitchen island, thinking that when he got sleepy he would go lie on the couch. He had NO notice. And this was ORAL. They hit so fast he fell to the floor. No warning.
Anyway yeah the naltrexone or naloxone or whatever is more for a friend of family member to administer. You'd already be out of it

Naloxone isn't useful for a solitary opioid user, by the time you need to administer it you are gonna be incapable of doing so.

im very sorry to hear about your mom. is your dad ok?

Thank you for asking Pillman. My dad left a time stamped note on the mailbox for the paper boy to call 911 so we wouldn't have to find him. Luckily, he is fine. He spent a few weeks in the psych ward of the hospital until his SSRIs "took", which is very unlike him, and he's feeling better now.

Yea what sekio said, it happens so fast after the shot that u would pretty much have to have the naloxone ready and use it almost immediately after the fact. I will say this tho having had to be rescued by my gf 2 times now from an apparent OD with naloxone is that it doesn't mean that it will send u into precip withdrawals for sure... I didn't really experience any type of withdrawal. The vials I get from my exchange are the .4mg and this last time she used 2 at the same time cuz apparently the first time it took like 4-5mins for me to snap out of it. So don't be such a pussy that ur scared to do it cuz u don't wanna make the u or the person sick. Plus better to live and do another 1 later rather than die anyways eh??

I think the take home message here is save the hero doses for times when you have a buddy with you. Obviously if you are shooting dope you can never know that what you are shooting isn't pure fent, but there is nothing truly safe about this game we play, at least this helps minimize the risk.

It is simple opiate safety. Use when others are around. It is okay to be high by yourself, but administer your shot when another person knows. I would often text a friend and tell him that I was about to shoot up if I was by myself, and he would text a few minutes later and wait for me to text back. If I didn't text back he would call my parents.

Also, make sure your Naloxone is not expired.