• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids How to tell if you're nodding or approaching an overdose?

prinsco

Greenlighter
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the forum and have been playing around with some Oxynorm 10mg pills that I've got ahold of recently. I started out at 10mg (which provided a very nice, gentle buzz) as I was nervous about taking it, I have now worked upto what I find is a comfortable dose which I find to be around 35-40mg (I'm a 210lb male). However, after 2 hours or so I find myself unable to keep my eyes open. Is this the nodd that I've been told about? Or is this a possible overdose

slightly high right now sorry if this makes no sense

Unless you got the prescription yourself, or saw the bottle, they could be fake. Otherwise, sounds like you're just having a good nodd.

Without going into much detail, they are legit. Yeah, what sort of dose is the "danger zone" for someone of my weight/relatively low tolerance? Thanks for the reply by the way :)!

Sounds like you are getting a nice nod from the pills to me. They usually do that to me when I take a good amount (Usually around 40-60mg these days for my tolerance) and to me it's almost like some little ninja tied some lead weights onto your eye lids and then you just CAN'T keep them open anymore. You need to succumb to the nods and before you know it, you've been nodding in and out of consciousness for around 20 minutes or so. My favorite part...along with the euphoria and the "Don't Give A Fuck" feeling. =) Doesn't sound like an overdose to me man, honestly.

I've often wondered how close the line between nodding and overdosing is myself. I have a pulse ox meter that I use sometimes and I can wake up in the middle of a nod and my o2 has dropped in to the high 70's. It quickly goes back up when I wake up but it leaves me wondering what's happening when I lay down to sleep.

theres a fine line between nodding and ODing... most of the time you can't even tell when you've crossed that line

What the above poster said especially depending on your goal and that's at best. For me I would call it a sign of overdose as I couldn't well function like that. Some shoot for that goal and usually die playing with fire.

Try not to let this be your goal as even using it in 10 mg amounts gets old fast. Pretty soon you'll laugh before you scream and cry realizing how fast it went up. Take it slow and space out your usage amount, but unless your OK living on a schedule and set amount that you can obtain you won't be in a good position.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. Would 20mg, twice a week be enough to develop withdrawal symptoms? I'm pretty good at keeping things at at low doses and appreciating the subtle effects.

Also, If nodding is a sign of overdose how can it be happening at such low (therapeutic) doses?

20mg twice a week shouldn't cause any withdrawals but you should know you are playing with fire. Twice a week turns in to 3 times a week then soon it's every day multiple times a day. Best to just stay away from it if you can.

...and you will still be building a tolerance from 2x a week causing steady increases in dose which may make dependency harder to avoid.

Lesson learnt :p Now can't get a buzz from anything under 100mg. 1 month break starting now.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is no way to accurately tell if someone is about to OD, and especially not if that person in question is you!

One second you are fine, and the next thing you know someone is slapping you across the face as Narcan courses through your body

There is no "oh man, I might have done too much" moment

Then again this is more pertaining to IV use

Chasing the nod, man... dunno about what to tell you. That nod and the feeling of satisfaction/full-on euphoria, although they are interlinked, are not one and the same. Most times I've nodded around other people, I wouldnt have noticed it had they not told me directly after I snapped out of it. Other times its more like waking up from being asleep with the last thing remembered taking the (IV) dosage. With oxys, you could be nodding and not even know it yet still chasing that full-on warmthness, umm nodding is basically taking a dose that puts you right on the cusp of OD with your brain/body snapping itself out of it over and over. So it is the same thing (approaching OD or nodding)

yeah sounds like you gotta nod goin. not generally an OD if the nods just started but you can tell where/when/who you are; walk around and take some strong coffee. that's the nod, if the pills are legit and the dose is typical for you maybe you potentated it? grapefruit juice, Tagamet, and some other OTC products can boost the opiates... along with many other things no doubt. keep track of any supplements or other drugs that may be potentiating but if you're just barrrrely between awake and asleep it sounds like you just got a nod dose, not a really strong one. but idk you tolerance etc... if worried call a poison control or ambulance.. but if you're noddin other things could happen, like falling out suddenly, have a sitter to check your pulse and pupils regularly... I recently wound up in an ER for a major OD... not breathing, blue lips, etc etc.

Yeah I'm not currently using anything via IV. I realise now that I was just overreacting, I could walk around and be ok I wasn't struggling to stay awake really....I was just a bit tired!