Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

How to quit meth.?

erba

Bluelighter
I had a quick search, didn't find anything real helpful

but i have a friend who HAS to stop, its not a case of wanting to quit.
they just HAVE to, and they know it.... but can't.

Have any of you got any tips on successful quit campaigns.

basically this person has taken gear pretty much a few times a week for the last year, sometimes a week or 2 everyday. With usage increasing on weekends.

Still they hold down a fulltime job, how they do is beyond me.
But because they have used so much, going cold turkey would have some serious withdrawal effects and make working pretty damn hard i would think.

Thanks

Meth is tough. I've done it (not touvhed for 3 monthsish). It takes DEDICATION and when it's easier to take it, you NEED to say no and take the hard road. A lot of it is psychological....Tough road ahead, take it and you'll be ok.
Trust me, and good luck ;)

By and large the best way I can think of is a change of environment. A large proportion of addiction is following a familiar routine. This includes people, places etc. which are likely to trigger the trained impulses to use meth. I think your friend needs to take a serious break from their everyday existance. If possible this should certainly include access to the drug. You'd be surprised how much a change of scene can help break the vicious cycles of behaviour which are all too easily follow when the basis of self inflicted entrainment has been well and truly established. They definately need to avoid contact with people who are using meth, regardless of their habits of use. For many the tempation is just too much, especially when they see others 'enjoying' its effects.

If your friend has established a long period of use and has developed a physical dependence then withdrawal is likely to prove an even greater issue than the already painful psychological dependence. I am quite hesitant to suggest the use of other drugs to combat these feelings lest they leave one addiction behind only to begin with another. Nevertheless opiates are probably the best known method for treating amphetamine addiction. I certainly wouldn't recommend anything stronger than codeine or maybe some benzos. This matter should be approached with extreme caution, and if possible perhaps it should be administered by a close friend, family member/housemate etc. Be very careful, however during the period of cravings, states of sheer hopelessness and unthinkable depression are commonplace. IMHO it is certainly preferable that during this time the user might find other ways of alleviating these symptoms rather than returning to meth. I cannot stress how careful one needs to be with these matters & suggest professionals are consulted.

Addiction is often the effect of a deeper cause and without knowing your friend I would hazard a guess that they are combatting something else as well as meth. I would suggest they take every step they can to resolve whatever issues can be identified as the cause for such self-destructive patterns of behaviour. This must be addressed case by case & I don't think there's much else to say with regards to this, save that if there are underlying problems; treatment of the meth addiction will only provide short relief. Counselling is often of great help, I would personally suggest alot of introspection & personal analysis is required of your friend. Ignoring things only makes it worse, which brings me to my final point and that is friendship.

When someone is tackling any form of addiction, especially the consequent period of meth withdrawal, feelings of being completely powerless & hopeless are extremely trying for someone who is often having to face other matters. They can often feel utterly daunted & overwhelmed, it is here that you & other friends have a responsibility to do all they can for someone they love. You're obviously a good friend & I'd suggest providing as much support as you can. Troubles truly are made lighter when they're shared. Avoid situations such as group 'interventions', for in my experience they tend to create feelings of isolation in an already troubled person. Try as best as you can to show how much you care without loading them with guilt. A group presence should express nothing but love & support at such a time.

All of that said, I have absolutely no qualifications in this department and professionals should be consulted first & foremost. However I do think a change of scene is required. Detox Units are always a very good option although somewhat pricey.
Good luck :)

EDIT: I forgot to mention; I've personally found that a solid course of the amino acid L-Tyrosine works wonders for combatting post meth depression. It is available from the health food store, I'd recommend buying it as a pure compound rather than in tablet form as its alot cheaper. Usually retails for around $25 for 50g.

1800 888 236 - ADCA

Check out these sites for more info:
http://www.adf.org.au/
http://www.drugsafe.org/
http://www.kidshelp.com.au/research/LINKS/drugs.html
http://www.drugs.vic.gov.au/directory.htm
http://www.drugs.vic.gov.au/treatment.htm
www.vauclusehospital.com.au/detox/

Last edited:
Plague Bearer, Thanks for your post.
Change of scene is not really an option here, as they don't just hang out with people who take meth. They have multiple sources and take the stuff for everyday life. It's not like they will goto a club etc..... they would have to move interstate. He still has drug free friends.

its hard for me to comment on the psycological issues. But instead of everything being so boring, suddenly every little detail was like... WOAH!

What started out as a weekend thing just spiralled.

I really appreciate the time you took to type that, and i will be sure to mention the "amino acid L-Tyrosine" as something to try.

I'm not talking about permenant changes to one's lifestyle, but rather they should consider taking some time off work & getting away. Maybe going to stay with a family member or friend who could keep an eye on them. Its rarely possible for someone to completely reorganise their life, however if drug addiction is causing enough serious harm to their existance then something needs to be done. Perhaps cold turkey would be too much strain for them and/or people around them. If so they should certainly consider addressing their route of administraton. Smoking should definately be ruled out, I would suggest that if they can't stop straight away they should definately consider eating it or dissolving it in shots of water (onset on an relatively empty stomach isn't too far short of snorting). I'm all too aware this doesn't provide the rush of smoking, however if they're serious about taking action then compromises have to be made.

Simple as it may sound the truth is that they won't stop until they actually stop.

Another important thing to consider is having some form of direction in one's life. This doesn't need to fit the usual 'socially accepted' definition of life direction which would make one's parents beam with pride, but rather something which they can enjoy without meth. Something to look forward to, something which brings joy to one's life without needing meth. Some form of hobby, something which involves a creative outlet is ideal.

It's fucking hard & alot more people have been there than you would think. Strange as it may sound life can be good without meth.

^I've gotta agree: if you're friend's saying "I can't get away" (from their existing lifestyle), what they're probably saying is "I'm not ready to quit".

What it took for SWIM was a complete 180 degree lifestyle change, including changing jobs, friends, hobbies and pretty much everything else. SWIM says it sucked at the time but is much happier for it now. SWIM wishes he'd had some real mates at the time to stick with him through it and seek out advice, like you're doing :)

to kick a habit you've got to really want to stop not just believe that its what you should do.

Best way for people hooked on meth is to stop dealing it (usually what supports the habbit)

As per usual, Steve comes up with the goods and a laugh. :) An easy method would to stop buying, selling, or touching meth.. that way it just isn't possible.

i can never consiously quit meth, i just wakeup one day and don't feel like it anymore, works fine everytime!

Get him to tell his dealer the heats onto him hardcore and meeting him would eb a bad idea indefinately no dealer in their right mind would ever sell to him again. Repeat for all dealers.

Enjoy inability to score.

But in the end, if you really want to quit you will youve got a thing called a braind that directs the rest of your body in its actions.