• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc How to prevent Effexor induced migraine - request for help/advice

BL999

Greenlighter
Hi I'm new to BL.

Just after some expert help from someone who understands the physiology of mood enhancing neurotransmitters.

I take Effexor for anxiety/depression. But I have to open the capsule and take only a tiny dose because any significant dose will result in migraine.

My feeling is that the migraine is caused by vaso-constriction because the only thing that helps is very high heat applied to my scalp.

I need to know - is it the serotonin or noradrenaline which causes migraine? Am I right in assuming the pain is caused by vasoconstriction? Is there any other drug I can take to allow me to take the Effexor and yet not get a migraine?

Please help.

Maybe try another antidepressant? There are other drugs in the same family (SNRIs) that may not have the same side effect. I found duloxetine/Cymbalta to have significantly fewer side effects than Effexor.

i had similar problems on other medicines. i started drinking 1.5 gallons of water a day minimum. after 2 weeks or so of doing that they almost went away completely. and this was something i was battling for years.. just a thought, sometimes it's the little things that could make a big difference. it's worth the try at least.

Effexor...the drug that made me cut myself over and over, made me hear voices telling me to kill myself, made me have angry outburst, made me sweat like a pig and have daily migraines.

I took Effexor after my toddler son was murdered...unless the formula has changed...drug almost drove me crazy.

Have you checked your blood pressure on the drug? Your BP could be causing the headaches, especially if you are feeling top/back of head.

Start taking your BP daily, keep a log of dose peak times. Effexor kept my BP up in the 150/160 range.

Thanks very much everyone. Will give the water a try. BP is ok. Cymbalta - haven't tried but will do. Open to any other responses.