• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids How to not eat on Gabapentin?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I don't mean not eat in an eating disordered way, but when taking a high dose of Gabapentin - and even in normal evenings after I've had a few doses - I notice I don't feel physically hungry and I'm not even mentally that interested in food, but I always end up eating sweet stuff anyway. Like when you've been drinking alcohol and eat despite not being hungry.
Is there anything I can take or do to "train" myself not to eat on Gabapentin? I managed to with alcohol and I actually lost all interest in food and stopped eating completely (once I was consuming massive amounts of alcohol all day).

Exactly what the above poster said....I've been a chronic weed smoker for over 25 years and around the age of 16 I trained myself to ignore cravings for food or drink k when I get the munchies from pot/hash because i felt eating while high on weed (thc) causes you to burn out...
So I typically never eat or drink liquids when I dab now ,at (41 years old).

@Ballz_Trippington the food i understand but you should always stay topped up on fluids even sipping water to combat cottonmouth lol

That's a great idea actually. Same for me too with not eating. When I was an alcohol I'd sometimes have an individual bag or two or Dorito's in the evening (strong salt cravings) but otherwise never ate. Same with opioids, I never ate until I was sober again. With amphetamines I actually went from 135lbs to 95lbs in 6 weeks because I literally never ate (I probably would have starved to death if I didn't develop psychosis a la Sara Goldfarb and get sectioned). I guess I just gotta really concentrate on relaxing into the high rather than eating. I always end up drinking like a litre of strawberry milk, too (it's amazing when high) so I'm gonna try and swap that out for water or at least Coke Zero.

I also agree with what you said to @Ballz_Trippington (great name btw) about the fluids. I gotta be careful to get legit weed (as in, doesn't contain any chemicals etc as even some weed where I live has added shit to it so it can compete with stuff like Spice and whatever evil stuff they add gives me SEVERE myoclonic seizures. Regular weed is great, though) but how do you not drink with that cotton mouth?

That's a great idea actually. Same for me too with not eating. When I was an alcohol I'd sometimes have an individual bag or two or Dorito's in the evening (strong salt cravings) but otherwise never ate. Same with opioids, I never ate until I was sober again. With amphetamines I actually went from 135lbs to 95lbs in 6 weeks because I literally never ate (I probably would have starved to death if I didn't develop psychosis a la Sara Goldfarb and get sectioned). I guess I just gotta really concentrate on relaxing into the high rather than eating. I always end up drinking like a litre of strawberry milk, too (it's amazing when high) so I'm gonna try and swap that out for water or at least Coke Zero.

I also agree with what you said to @Ballz_Trippington (great name btw) about the fluids. I gotta be careful to get legit weed (as in, doesn't contain any chemicals etc as even some weed where I live has added shit to it so it can compete with stuff like Spice and whatever evil stuff they add gives me SEVERE myoclonic seizures. Regular weed is great, though) but how do you not drink with that cotton mouth?
Fluids are most definitely important as well as proper nutrition for sure.
As far as cotton mouth goes i actually dont get it whatsoever anymore nor do I even get red eyes...I've been smoking since I was 13 and I just turned 41 and I'm a daily dabber and hash smoker ...only smoke joints if company comes over or I'm at a festival.
I usually rock E-Cig mod with yocan coil attached so I can dab shatter on the go.
But yeah I get very little effects from even high quality shatter...my tolorance is just through the roof but I definitely still enjoy it and it does help with insomnia massively.

Fluids are most definitely important as well as proper nutrition for sure.
As far as cotton mouth goes i actually dont get it whatsoever anymore nor do I even get red eyes...I've been smoking since I was 13 and I just turned 41 and I'm a daily dabber and hash smoker ...only smoke joints if company comes over or I'm at a festival.
I usually rock E-Cig mod with yocan coil attached so I can dab shatter on the go.
But yeah I get very little effects from even high quality shatter...my tolorance is just through the roof but I definitely still enjoy it and it does help with insomnia massively.

That's interesting that you don't. I don't know if I do or not from weed because I'm almost always drinking (wine) at the same time.
I actually drink 2-3 gallons of fluid a day because so many of my meds cause dry mouth/throat that if I'm not constantly drinking something I have to clear my throat every 10 seconds which annoys ME and probably makes everyone around me want to murder me.

Certainly is! Every time I smoke I gotta worry whether I'm gonna experience euphoria and the giggles or a horribly uncomfortable myoclonus.

I have the same problem with pregabalin. I have gained 10 kgs while on it ... I just don't care and eat unhealthy junk. :rolleyes:

Yeah it’s not just through increased appetite that is the mode of weight gain whilst on gabapentin and pregabalin, it also fucks with your metabolism. I gained like 15KG on gabapentin and I was eating 600 Cals a day.

Yeah it’s not just through increased appetite that is the mode of weight gain whilst on gabapentin and pregabalin, it also fucks with your metabolism. I gained like 15KG on gabapentin and I was eating 600 Cals a day.

Damn, that's scary! Reminds me of when I was anorectic and I would maintain weight on 700 calories a day.

I've gained 15lbs (6kg) but my weight isn't really an issue right now (I'm 5'6 and 124lb). Most people think I look best around 130 (judging from comments from friends and family and how often I get flirted with/asked out etc) but I prefer how I look around 100-105 so I really don't wanna keep gaining. It's hard because I obviously need to eat less but I've been recovered for 18 months and really don't wanna slip back into an eating disorder.

I have the same problem with pregabalin. I have gained 10 kgs while on it ... I just don't care and eat unhealthy junk. :rolleyes:

Same here. Gabapentinoids make me not give a fuck about anything that would normally bother me...which is great...but it also makes me not give a fuck what or how much I eat. I'm always like "meh, I'mma eat this and I'll start gettin healthy tomorrow/On Monday/whenever".

Damn, that's scary! Reminds me of when I was anorectic and I would maintain weight on 700 calories a day.

I've gained 15lbs (6kg) but my weight isn't really an issue right now (I'm 5'6 and 124lb). Most people think I look best around 130 (judging from comments from friends and family and how often I get flirted with/asked out etc) but I prefer how I look around 100-105 so I really don't wanna keep gaining. It's hard because I obviously need to eat less but I've been recovered for 18 months and really don't wanna slip back into an eating disorder.
Dude, I have an eating disorder, I gained that weight whilst eating only 600 Cals a day and running like 5 miles a day. It won’t matter how little you eat. I went 2 weeks pretty much fasting and I just maintained. It fucks with metabolism and fat distribution. My cortisol was sky fucking high too.

I hate cor
Dude, I have an eating disorder, I gained that weight whilst eating only 600 Cals a day and running like 5 miles a day. It won’t matter how little you eat. I went 2 weeks pretty much fasting and I just maintained. It fucks with metabolism and fat distribution. My cortisol was sky fucking high too.
Oh yes. Sorry. I remember you telling me that a while back. It fucks with your cortisol, too? I HATE that. I had high cortisol once and my face looked so round (worse than bulimia face).

So are you saying even if I flat out do not eat, it's impossible to lose weight on Gabapentin?

I hate cor

Oh yes. Sorry. I remember you telling me that a while back. It fucks with your cortisol, too? I HATE that. I had high cortisol once and my face looked so round (worse than bulimia face).

So are you saying even if I flat out do not eat, it's impossible to lose weight on Gabapentin?
Pretty much, that’s the main reason I stopped it. Actually I’m pretty convinced I was put on it by my dr because my therapist said I was getting to danger levels with my weight and they wanted me to gain. It literally didn’t help my electrolyte levels or my deficiencies. I was just 15kg heavier with the same issues.

I also found my memory fucking up a lot. I was losing words and brain fog was at an all time high. I was becoming a slobbering mess on it.

Gabapentin is not worth it for the side effects. At all.

Pretty much, that’s the main reason I stopped it. Actually I’m pretty convinced I was put on it by my dr because my therapist said I was getting to danger levels with my weight and they wanted me to gain. It literally didn’t help my electrolyte levels or my deficiencies. I was just 15kg heavier with the same issues.

I also found my memory fucking up a lot. I was losing words and brain fog was at an all time high. I was becoming a slobbering mess on it.

Gabapentin is not worth it for the side effects. At all.

While I absolutely did not malinger or lie to my doctor for a prescription of it...I've suffered severe abuse and trauma and I now literally cannot cope with even basic things without falling to pieces or having memories (being raped as a kid, having my soulmate die, etc) that I just mentally cannot deal with so any med (opioids, benzo's, sleeping pills, barbiturates, gabapentinoids) that make you super sedated and cause memory loss and brain fog...that's something I really WANT.
Sadly I cannot exercise (I have a spinal fracture, two herniated disks, sciatica and severe osteoarthritis in my knees and hips) so I'm gonna weigh myself weekly for a month or two and if my weight keeps climbing up no matter what I might ask to try a different med.

While I absolutely did not malinger or lie to my doctor for a prescription of it...I've suffered severe abuse and trauma and I now literally cannot cope with even basic things without falling to pieces or having memories (being raped as a kid, having my soulmate die, etc) that I just mentally cannot deal with so any med (opioids, benzo's, sleeping pills, barbiturates, gabapentinoids) that make you super sedated and cause memory loss and brain fog...that's something I really WANT.
Sadly I cannot exercise (I have a spinal fracture, two herniated disks, sciatica and severe osteoarthritis in my knees and hips) so I'm gonna weigh myself weekly for a month or two and if my weight keeps climbing up no matter what I might ask to try a different med.
I’m so sorry for what you’ve been through. That’s so shit. Gabapentin affects short term memory so I don’t think it would help you in that regard.
Definitely keep an eye on your weight. Hopefully it won’t be as bad as what my gain was.

So I've been watching what I eat the last 5 days. Not starving myself or setting a specific calorie limit and I've lost 4lbs by just basically watching what I eat and avoiding overeating while on the Gabapentin, particularly by the time it gets to late in the evening and I've had multiple doses. So it looks like Gabapentin isn't fucking with my metabolism :) I'm very relieved.

Last edited:
So I've been watching what I eat the last 5 days. Not starving myself or setting a specific calorie limit and I've lost 4lbs by just going from overeating to eating a calorie deficit. So it looks like Gabapentin isn't fucking with my metabolism :) I'm very relieved.
Lucky you! Keep us in the loop.