Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

How to meditate the correct way!

ovenbakedskittles

Bluelighter
Hey

I had a few questions about meditation but i want to start out by saying that i have been wanting to start meditating for the purpose of becoming more relaxed and not letting negative thoughts get to me all the time...

i tried meditating a few times before but it didnt really work out... i noticed that i started to feel worse in the sense that i became a little more anxious i guess? or kind of had a different perspective on my surroundings which made me feel uncomfortable... i figured it was because i dont eat well and i drink a lot of soda and stuff like that and im assuming that you have to be healthy in order to reach the desired effects of meditation but i wanted to get confirmation from you guys because i also feel like it was all just in my head...

So i guess my questions are 1.)Does your health and diet have an effect on achieving the desired effects that one would be trying to accomplish through meditation? 2.) What are some other tips, besides health and diet, to ensure that i will get these desired effects? 3.) What are your experiences with meditation? 4.) How did it benefit you?

Thank you

This is my first real post and I'm a little stoned! I have gotten great results from meditation. I don't think there is one right way, you have to find your right way. The only thing that matters is the result. Meditation in my opinion is simply focusing. Changing the focus of your very existence is powerful!
My method is to focus on love the feeling of love. The one that makes you want to give everybody a big hug. Hopefully you have something in your life that manifests this, like your Mom or your dog (don't laugh). I just wallow in that feeling and send it out to the universe. By giving it out, I actually get it back like karma! Give it a sincere try it's amazing.
If it isn't your thing, keep looking and talking to people, eventually you'll find your thing. Good luck!
Monica

OMG I just realized I didn't answer your question at all! Sorry, fuck I'm stoned.

huge effect, health and diet - don't try it high.

first, learn how to sit - it's important. do lotus if you can, but have a little pillow for your butt.

zazen%20zen.rinnou%20net.jpg

learn breathing meditation first - when you inhale, use your diaphragm, not your chest muscles. your chest shouldn't puff out at all. now inhale - BRAHMA and creation, hold - VISHNU and preservation, exhale - SHIVA and destruction (of bad energy). take it slow. this is just learning to breathe, but you need to focus on it, try to go ten minutes.

is that a good start?

its important to establish it as a habit, you could think of it as exercising the muscles in your mind. so when you start for the first time, it can make you feel worse initially as your thoughts have been left free roam for a long time. what i mean by that is that in meditation, the practice is to watch your thoughts and not engage with them, rather, to watch them arise and pass away, this is the fundamental nature of our being, every thing is impermanent, all experiences end. our habitual pattern is to be controlled by our thoughts that manifest into sensations and then emotions, its a cyclic process which compounds itself. to interrupt that pattern in the earlier stages of a thought pattern, trains our mind to break free of it.

i would just sit cross legged, with a cushion/folded pillow to elevate ur bum so that your hips are in line with your knees, and its comfortable. don't try lotus unless you are very very flexible, no point in making the experience more uncomfortable when you are beginning.

start with 5 minutes every day, and sit at the same time each day, morning or night, whichever is easiest. meditation is a habit which gains strength as you accumulate consecutive days practice. so its best to start with small and achievable goals that you can build from.

all resistance during meditation is part of the practice, to notice the thought "i can't meditate because i drank a coke yesterday", thats a thought to notice you are thinking that, and then to return to the object of meditation (i like breath).

it can help clear some confusion to do some reading on meditation, so that you understand the mechanics behind it. my starting book was mindfulness in plain english, which isn't difficult to read if you have an interest in meditation.

the benefit for me after weeks of sustained practice, is that i can access the freshness of each moment easier and observe the stories in my head, i don't need to believe them.

Last edited:
@tantric - I do not want to use the same mantra as the one you mentioned. Would it be possible to ask the kind folks at Coincidence Control Central for a special mantra designed for me?

huge fan of your blog, hope there is more to come...

well, i just read s.king's insomnia.....Clotho who spins, Lachesis who measures, Atropos who cuts

la-KAY-sis. 'ch' is /k/ in greek words, /kai mer ah/ not /shim er ah/ chimera...just FYI

thanks - i was locked out of the wordpress blog for a long time, but CCC chimed and i recently got back in. i had keyed it to a hushmail account, which expired, and they want money to necro it.

I'm not a fan of the sitting meditation. I meditate best laying in bed. I once meditated 12 hours straight. What I do is just focus on the breath at first or a spot on the ceiling. Then I'll shift the focus to a constant tone. I go deepest just focusing on a static sound. When you allow everything and get good at just letting the thoughts come and go that takes you deeper. I even do a little affirming into the subconscious at a certain deepness. Then I'll move to my side and act as though I was falling asleep and that is when the crazy fuckin shit happens! That is the only time i would get these incredibly powerful electrical surges that tickled my perennial so much i couldn't take it and stopped meditating for a bit.

i wanted to get confirmation from you guys because i also feel like it was all just in my head...

It's definitely all in your head. If you need confirmation online, then what you need a maintenance group for the stupid. There is loads of them out there but they won't be called that, so bear that in mind - if you are able for that, without asking for confirmation/validation of your own experience, or perspective. Good luck. :)

^ Do you realize you're responding to posts that are many years old now?

That's ok Foreigner, many responders are just now returning from their meditative adventures (or lack thereof).

Ahem ... ;)

the most important meditation is self-inquiry. By focusing and meditating on the void within the true self or lack of therefore of. Do this every day for hours the more you get the hang of it the deeper it goes til hopefully one day you finally realize what the awareness or void is you may also never realize it in this lifetime only very few people reach true enlightenment it will take many reincarnation and meditation on self-inquiry to finally get it,