Mental Health How to lead with absence of feelings?

jose ribas da silva

Bluelighter
Has anyone ever experienced a sensation of total absence of feelings?

I can no longer feel, everything is on autopilot. I don't believe that medications will change this situation, I've tried several of them, vainly.

Since it is impossible to change certain aspects of life (I mean some things need help from destiny) such as number and type of friends, financial-related stuff, family, etc., would it be impossible to overcome the absence of feelings?

As my therapist has said, there is a fine line between those who dont feel (psychopathy) and those who choose not to feel (insecurity). There is no real test to know the difference, but if it is the latter then the root cause can be found and you may heal.

It sounds like you're depressed. Do you see a doctor?

Bare in mind.. We all feel. All of us. Its just, to what degree?

Last edited:
I have always found pretending to help. At first it will feel sick, but possibly you will actuyally start feeling if you try enough.

Has anyone ever experienced a sensation of total absence of feelings?

I can no longer feel, everything is on autopilot. I don't believe that medications will change this situation, I've tried several of them, vainly.

Since it is impossible to change certain aspects of life (I mean some things need help from destiny) such as number and type of friends, financial-related stuff, family, etc., would it be impossible to overcome the absence of feelings?

Yes, of course. It IS possible and you will eventually return to your core former self.
The mind is incredible and confusing all at once. During periods of high stress and anxiety I often wonder if I will ever feel again.. feel like my old self.. feel at all...
Everyone is different and we all have a breaking point. Ride this one out, OP, and look after yourself.
Of course you will feel. It's only human.

Last edited:
Sounds like anhedonia and melancholy. That can be very painful. All I can really think of is to find something that inspires you, and something that touches you, so-to-speak. What makes you feel thrilled? Are you up to experimenting with some hobbies/activities? I think that'd be a good first step.

as someone who has been there, it goes away eventually. certain medications made me become a zombie.