⫸STICKY⫷ How to improve Words?

New

Bluelight Crew
Yeah, what she said. There aren't nearly enough non-BLer work topics to justify a subforum. But, color coded tags would be great.

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT

Bluelighter
I just had a flick through this thread and thought about what would allow me contribute to Words more often.

The first thing that came to mind was book discussions and reviews. I see you have a huge mega-thread of general "book discussion" but would it be possible to utilize the tags idea to mark these as separate discussions? Something like Book Title (book discussion)?
I would find this a good resource for picking up new reading material, and I imagine it could be based on the methods Film & Television employ with spoiler tags etc.
Obviously some titles would get more input than others (the classics especially) but I know this would keep me clicking back to write new review threads and contribute to others. :)

Just some food for thought.

Thou

Bluelighter
Set it on fire.

"If you meet god in the street, kill him."
-Old buddhist saying

One of these days you're going to have a visitation. You're going to be walking down the street and across the street you're going to look and see God standing over there on the street corner motioning to you, saying, "Come to me, come to me." And you will know it's God, there will be no doubt in your mind — he has slitty little eyes like Buddha, and he's got a long nice beard and blood on his hands. He's got a big Charlton Heston jaw like Moses, he's stacked like Venus, and he has a great jeweled scimitar like Mohammed. And God will tell you to come to him and sing his praises. And he will promise that if you do, all of the muses that ever visited Shakespeare will fly in your ear and out of your mouth like golden pennies. It's the job of the writer in America to say, "Fuck you God, fuck you and the Old Testament that you rode in on, fuck you." The job of the writer is to kiss no ass, no matter how big and holy and white and tempting and powerful.

Ken Kesey

Thou

Bluelighter
I just had a flick through this thread and thought about what would allow me contribute to Words more often.

The first thing that came to mind was book discussions and reviews. I see you have a huge mega-thread of general "book discussion" but would it be possible to utilize the tags idea to mark these as separate discussions? Something like Book Title (book discussion)?
I would find this a good resource for picking up new reading material, and I imagine it could be based on the methods Film & Television employ with spoiler tags etc.
Obviously some titles would get more input than others (the classics especially) but I know this would keep me clicking back to write new review threads and contribute to others. :)

Just some food for thought.

You could also WRITE something, maybe even submit it.

That might help.

If you're just looking to find good books to read we have threads for that, shit-ton of them. Film & television isn't words. It's for lazy fuckheads who want to stare at a screen with their hand in their pants and not work.

I'd rather eat poison.

xxxyyy

Bluelighter
You could also WRITE something, maybe even submit it.

That might help.

If you're just looking to find good books to read we have threads for that, shit-ton of them. Film & television isn't words. It's for lazy fuckheads who want to stare at a screen with their hand in their pants and not work.

I'd rather eat poison.
get off your high horse, jennifer.

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
While I disagree with the way he said it, I agree with his point. Libraries should nit mimic the approach of video stores. Regardless of whether or not that encourages more people to read. Capitalism is not the answer. F & T may have more "bums on seats" but the discussions/ contributions are mostly... well... bullshit.

New

Bluelight Crew
Words is not the fastest forum. It's not desgined to be. It's an entire forum that's run on creative output. The best way to improve a forum based on creative output is to reward said output with positive reinforcement and to cultivate that community. Book reviews are a good idea in theory, but in practice...how often do you actually read compared to how often you watch TV? Of course, the rebuttal to that is, "it's the internet, a lot of people read."

As a compromise, I'll leave the current book reviews in the thread. I've read a few books recently that I'd like to alert the psychoative harm reduction community about. Over the next week, I'll crack out a few reviews and whore out their existence in a few preexisting lounge threads with your permission, cotb. We'll see how it goes.

Ultimately, we have a lot of traffic. It's just mostly people reading offline as opposed to members posting. The issue is a marketing issue, not a quality one. Words is beautiful as it is.

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
New said it better than I did. Words isn't a problem. It doesn't need to justify itself against F/&T or OD. I think maybe I've fucked this forum up a bit by being too honest. But I cant do anything else. Words is small like an island before the hotels get built. And simple in a real way. I used to play this video game when I was a little kid, pre-graphics. All words. There's something were moving away from culturally. Beauty is rising to the surface. Not words. Let words be.

Thou

Bluelighter
Too many poets.

why do we need to keep the forum buzzing?

Ratings?

SWEEPS MONTH?

We don't have corporate sponsors.

How about we just write when we're inspired, post when we feel comfortable, and not speak unless having once at least once spoken something original.

Growth In Recovery

Greenlighter
1. Posts about how to become a freelance writer online, effective content creation, and content marketing.

2. More contests with awesome prizes for the winner.

3. Promotion of Freelance writing services that BL authors offer.

If you think these are good ideas, I will go into detail on how to successfully achieve each one.

keeping

Bluelight Crew
'words, words, words.'

i haven't taken the time to read all seven pages of the thread, so sorry if this has already been suggested
but perhaps sub-categories? fiction, auto-biographies, reviews, poetry etc.
might break it up and make it a little more accessible

ForEverAfter

Ex-Bluelighter
That has been suggested before and it didn't work for F&T.
They're really anal about titles, now.
If I make a thread with the proper prefix, they remove everything following it, except for the title.
Like, I made a thread about Coherence with this title: (film) Coherence (low-budget science fiction)
It was getting a lot of response. Then they changed it to: (film) Coherence.
And the responses stopped, immediately.

There's no wiggle room left.
Please don't do that to this forum.
I haven't been here for a while, but there's nothing wrong with words IMO.

It will never have as much traffic as other sub-forums, but that's okay.
Doesn't matter if they give away lollipops at the library, it's not going to attract the sort of crowds that the latest Transformers movies do. That's just a reality.

Scott (although he's not around anymore) said it best:

why do we need to keep the forum buzzing?

Ratings?

SWEEPS MONTH?

We don't have corporate sponsors.

How about we just write when we're inspired (and) post when we feel comfortable...
Words isn't in competition with the other sub-forums. It is what it is.

There should be freedom in thread titles, just as there is freedom in what to write inside threads.

I'm leaving this forum for a while, but I will be back with a vengeance.

Please don't make me return to a rigid, cookie-cutter, overly user-friendly shit-fest like F&T has become.

keeping

Bluelight Crew
Set it on fire.

"If you meet god in the street, kill him."
-Old buddhist saying

One of these days you're going to have a visitation. You're going to be walking down the street and across the street you're going to look and see God standing over there on the street corner motioning to you, saying, "Come to me, come to me." And you will know it's God, there will be no doubt in your mind — he has slitty little eyes like Buddha, and he's got a long nice beard and blood on his hands. He's got a big Charlton Heston jaw like Moses, he's stacked like Venus, and he has a great jeweled scimitar like Mohammed. And God will tell you to come to him and sing his praises. And he will promise that if you do, all of the muses that ever visited Shakespeare will fly in your ear and out of your mouth like golden pennies. It's the job of the writer in America to say, "Fuck you God, fuck you and the Old Testament that you rode in on, fuck you." The job of the writer is to kiss no ass, no matter how big and holy and white and tempting and powerful.

Ken Kesey

If You Meet the Buddha on the Road, Kill Him!

- Sheldon Kopp

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch

if you meet the buddha on the road, kill him!

- sheldon kopp
yes

there never is an end anyways,
till it end for good,
but then we're dead
so who cares?

Does that make me a nihilist? No, just some confused Buddhist Jewish kid in his late 20's. Definitely that.

Rebirth always sounded better to me anyways. I was born after all.
Once upon a time.
So that should rhyme,
Make a good time,
Sell me some lime?

I don't believe in reincarnation, but I'd definitely kill anyone who professes to be superior to another, when it's purely for personal gain, regardless of whom ever the other actually is.

Wait, am I violating the agreement. This isn't the social. I should know better. Alas, it is my birthday, so give me this one,
at least.

Being humble-able, that and stretching, is my tip.

Last edited by a moderator: