⫸STICKY⫷ How to improve Words?

manic_panic

Bluelighter
hmm I respect that

postings can be put in many places on the net, of course, although... on whatever given level, I highly enjoy most recent BLers I've talked with, there are some great folks here I click with and it's really some happnin shit. it's kind of funny. I post there and occasionally in blogs. all in the name of fun.

occasionally, I'll visit any of the other forums on BL besides Words... tho I'm practically addicted to this dang forum.

but..., I've never once perceived Words forum as primarily drug related. it's semi-drug-related, I guess but...does that mean F&Tv is "primarily drug-related" as well? and sports, etc, all the others? I'm not tryin to be an ass, I just don't understand or I'm not followin what you're sayin. thanx bud- RR.

but isn't this primarily a drug-forum? if you're a real writer, then you must be familiar with the predominant writing forums out there (right?); there are tons and tons.

this seems more like a place for people to vent or express themselves in a pseudo-literary way -- not to discredit the quality of anyone's writing by any means.

tbh, though, I wish Hunter Thompson was a bluelighter. that would make my day/night (considering I never sleep...)

Last edited:

manic_panic

Bluelighter
yessuh, yessuh

Where is the line drawn. though? / What constitutes being an "insulting dick"?

For example, recently leiphos said that he thought a piece of writing was riddled with cliches and was warned that wasn't a productive thing to say... but he wasn't being a dick at all and as far as I'm concerned, pointing out cliches in someone's work can be very helpful indeed. But his comment was basically discouraged to the point that I'm not sure he will bother contributing much in the future..

I'm not just being argumentative. The title of this thread is "How to improve Words?' and more than one of the regular contributors that responded suggested the same thing.

Why not just try it and see how it goes?

I'm sure no-one's going to commit suicide over a little criticism.. and it might improve the forum, get some discussions going. Who knows?

DAMN good point. criticism is very necessary and helps one to grow more inspired, motivated, diverse and even strong--at least in my case, as I have always adopted myriad shortcomings within my wild lil life n there was always SOMEONE in my family givin me pointers. really thats what a true friend oughta be capable of. It should be known to a decent extent by now that I personally accept any and all feedback with my poems/songs/satirical works/etc. and if someone's a dick about it, well that's fine to me, because I'm really not gonna be upset, I might even respect it and look thru a new lens..change my perspective, then turn it all around into something amazingly productive for me. el wordo switcheroo. as retarded as that may sound. bleh im tiiaahdd...

In fact, I realise just now I've wanted a lil more "constructive" crit for awhile anyway, I highly enjoy reading and posting on here. Depending on what a Word critic says or how it's said, I may encourage them to keep up with that type crit. opinions are like... well, ok, we all know that Larry Flynt quote.

there's really nothin wrong with it, for me personally. The honest, outlined truth of the (your) reader/friend is always more valuable than a quick praise it would seem, not that there's anythin wrong with that either. thanks for your time!

Cap'n Jay

Bluelighter
I think that you guys should have like a rating thingy, because I can't comment on some of the poems that I read because they are so deep. but if I could like rate it, then it would make it better. :)

leiphos

Bluelighter
I think that you guys should have like a rating thingy, because I can't comment on some of the poems that I read because they are so deep. but if I could like rate it, then it would make it better. :)
why just comment with 9/10 or 2stars or something like that

undead

Bluelighter
Bringing all threads about writing into this forum is definitely a good idea but I think the main thing that would improve this forum can't be controlled.

When I first started posting in here four years ago it was a really supportive network of people who read and commented on work other than their own. These days there are so many new (and some old) people who don't seem to really want to put in the effort on anyone else's work. I think this is really sad. The forum has lost a lot of the community feeling which I used to value so much.

That being said, there are many people, like Wordy, who do put in the effort and make this forum worth coming back to.

I never came here for the quality of the writing. It was a place people could express themselves and find support if they needed it. It was ALSO a place where great writers came to get feedback on their work and that was awesome too. I just don't want Words to become solely about critical analysis/ feedback etc because I think that's intimidating for some people.
Um, I just reread my post and realised how unconstructive it was. I guess I just needed to have a mini-rant. I <3 Words. :)
I actually thought you made some very good points. I myself have always written, but part of the reason this forum has fallen by the wayside for me is that it has become more of a critical analysis type of forum. I'm one of the people who've become intimidated (so to speak) by that type of approach. I've felt for a long time that I have to have a completed and finalized version of any given writing in order to post it, though when I first ever began posting here I would post things that I thought might strike a nerve, completed or not.

And btw, when I say "intimidated" I'm speaking more in terms of not feeling as though I'm bringing anything to the table unless I've got a finalized work.

grimble crumble

Bluelighter
why just comment with 9/10 or 2stars or something like that
because people are lazy and you need to bring the features to them which brings me back to my orignial post.

this forum will probably always be just a back corner of bluelight that never really sees much action until its organized and treated like the films/TV forum of bluelight.

encourage an established way of the Naming threads regarding writing such as

Novel: Invisible cities - Italo Calvino

or

Novel(sci-fi): The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch - Philip K. Dick

then also include a 1-5 star rating system, and the thread would contain discusion of the book

for originals it could be

Original Poem: dove in flight - grimble crumble
again with a rating system and the thread would contain discusion of the poem

BrahamCracker

Bluelighter
What would people think about a thread specializing in motivation for writings?

an example, my grandpa's death motivated me to write a poem about how he took me fishing 3 days a week during my childhood and how much he influenced me to become a better man.

Show my poem/writing and explain a little bit about why each line is where it is. A sort of discussion about the whole idea behind each line and tips for improvement.

The reason i think i'd like this thread is because a lot of us stumble and have writing blocks. Hearing people discuss techniques and reasons for their writings will shed some light into ways to get better and write more captivating word combinations. I also think a small part would be theraputic, and can lead to different angle's of perception. I struggle with thinking about topics for songs so this would be my thread for discussions, and also for the people here who are experienced writers to help the newcomers. Overall, it could strengthen the community aspect.

just an idea, what do you guys think? :D

thujone

Bluelight Crew
BrahamCracker: compress the idea into a general format that other contributors can follow to keep the thread on track (doesn't have to be complicated) and it can be stickied if successful.

I think it is a great idea and that it is sure to do well.

panic in paradise

Bluelighter
the theory sounds simple enough,,, maybe.
bellow is a simple ' schematic ' of how i understand it;
topic/subject-
our relation in poetry/pros/verses/lyrics etc-
followed with an expansion of how we relate, what the motivation was-
and perhaps why the style of writing was chosen.
~~~~~~~~~

personally:
my Great-Grand-Parents leaving strikes me as something i could relate into words.
-both of my moms parent have passed, but my Great-Grand-Parents in-particular was very profound.
was also my first experience with the actual reality and concept of "Death";; something i could certainly draw inspiration from and expand further in many ways.
***Lets dooo et!

<3
=D

CoffeeDrinker

Bluelighter
Hey that thread about the Robert Frost poem was really cool. I think one way to improve words would be to do things like that on a regular basis. Bring other people's poems to the forum and have interpretations and discussions about it. Now there's some literature for yo ass

The TV and movies section doesn't just have everyone's random home made movies does it? no they talk about other shows and movies that other people are likely to have seen so a meaningful discussion can be had.

panic in paradise

Bluelighter
^this is true.

it is very interesting to read individual interpretations, or understandings/opinions of literature and "lyrics"; if nothing else it can be enlightening and inspiring.

Counterintuitive

Bluelighter
^^ I'm glad the post sparked some conversation. I had been reluctant since I joined this forum some odd months ago, but after searching for another, more appropriate, forum to post, I realized this was the place to do such a thing. I think all of us have such a wild variety in taste and interpretations that we could really get a lot of activity going on a weekly sticky or something. Have a mod regulate the weekly submissions, etc. Like pot or not, but with poetry. Maybe do a short synopsis of the poet (if available, some will be too obscure), and then the poem itself.

It doesn't have to be restricted to poetry, of course. Any art would work.

thujone

Bluelight Crew
I am glad for your enthusiasm. Whatever we can do as mods pales in comparison to the effect of what supportive BLers can do to improve Words. Nevertheless, I joined the modship here with the promise that I would do what it takes to turn Words into a more dynamic; intrinsic component of BL and it is not a goal I have forgotten about. New and I need to have a pow-wow about the future direction of the forum, because direction is necessary to reaching tangible goals. As a wise man once wrote: "Without direction not even water can flow." %)

Regrettably, real life interrupts me now :( BBL!

herbavore

Bluelight Crew
And I definitely see where you're coming from, Samael. This is definitely more of a therapeutic outlet for druggies than it is a writing forum. I have used it as such myself, in terms of posting poems. I expect others would agree with me.

An example of a quality, serious writing forum - pretty much my personal favorite, in fact:

http://www.everypoet.org/pffa/index.php?

I don't think Words should be anything like that forum, I'm just providing an example for context. I understand very well the value of art as a tool for expression, and not perfection. This forum, and its intent, is maybe the most wonderful part of Bluelight, in my opinion.
uh-oh. I just joined that forum and it's a bit intimidating. Submitted the poem I submitted here last. I am actually looking forward to being shredded by the sharks there but would not be up for that here, if that makes any sense(?). (thanks to you, leiphos, I never knew about it before!).

I agree with your final line that this forum is a wonderful part of BL. Pity it isn't used more.

hydroazuanacaine

Moderator: F&TV
Staff member
hi,

new here, but i have a suggestion. you all should do a micro-essay/story/poem thread. come up with a character limit you like -- there are plenty of sites to check out and see how different limits will affect the nature of the submissions -- some basic, non-constricting guidelines; and let 'er rip. it could end up a competition, or not. but if the character maximum is small, i think it could be popular.

a thread like this already exist? if not, i'd be happy to help create one. but as i am not too familiar with this forum, i figured i'd bounce it off the regulars.

DroneLore

Bluelighter
I think there should be a sub-forum for works created by BLers, rather than having it mixed up with other literature related topics.