• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Bupe How to approach Dr. about buprenorphine

I have to get off dope, I am fucking my life up.

I don't trust myself to be 100% clean, I've tried many times, and everytime, something clicks in my mind and says, "well shit, now that your done withdrawing and clean, you'll get the most bang for you buck! Perfect time to use!" Especially when I started to save any sizeable amount of money... " Oh, I'll just use a little bit tonight, whats $60?!"

I have assimilated a list of suboxone licensed doctors here in the Land Of Lincoln. I just got insurance, and would like to get on buprenorphine, because using anything else while on it, is pointless, and it kills my opiate cravings. It also reinforces not using other stuff via negative feedback. Spending a buncha money on dope, just to have it do jack shit, really makes it seem pointless.

Isn't that basically the exact mindset a patient is supposed to be in in order to be successfully treated with Suboxone (I've never done opiates myself)? You'd figure any doctor worth their salt would prescribe it it to you like that, but alas not all doctors are actually worth their salt... so I hope this thread stays open because technically "how do I get a script for XYZ" threads are against the TOS, but you actually seem to be worried about waiting for ages and blowing a shitload of money on an appointment for nothing because you said something that causes your doc to doubt the earnesty of your intentions.

Are you actually physically addicted to heroin at the moment? Sorry but from your post it seems like you've done the hard part and want to get on subs to prevent a relapse? If I'm mistaken ignore me, but if your off H I'd stay away from maintenance opiates, you'll be an addict forever. Again sorry if I'm mistaken, just in the end subs/meth are just as addictive as H (maybe not as life destroying) but if you can manage without them, then do it you'll be better off.

Are you actually physically addicted to heroin at the moment? Sorry but from your post it seems like you've done the hard part and want to get on subs to prevent a relapse? If I'm mistaken ignore me, but if your off H I'd stay away from maintenance opiates, you'll be an addict forever. Again sorry if I'm mistaken, just in the end subs/meth are just as addictive as H (maybe not as life destroying) but if you can manage without them, then do it you'll be better off.

I second the notion that if you are completely off of opiates, just stay off! don't get on opiate replacement therapy if you no longer use opiates.... Also I totally agree that methadone is just as (In my opinion, WAY more) addictive than H. There are things you can do to manage the cravings and post acute withdrawal symptoms, just use the search engine.

Definitely get off the lope ASAP due to QT interval prolongation dangers and risk of fatal heart rythem disruption. Subs is definitely a better choice. Present to the doc you are taking lope and fear dieing due to the QT interval prolongation issues yet always end up getting more lope due to w/d so you want subs to taper vs attempting a lope taper that can kill you any day, builds and builds in the system due to long half life, and due to the potency of the chem it raises your tolerance more than not and just makes the weening process generally impossible with lope while subs you think you can quit as well as it blocks other opiates including heroin and probably lope although possibly not due to it havering a more powerful bond to the receptors in the same way fent does although that I am not sure.

Good luck and I do hope you get your subs

I hear what your saying man, getting off heroin and telling yourself you'll never do it again is a scary thought (I can't do it) I do think its a shame that if you're strong enough to beat the physicals, that you can't get past the psychological aspect of it. I'm certainly struggling with the psychological part, it's fucking my head up, but slowly getting easier. Subs is certainly the lesser of two evils though, if your choice is H or subs you gotta go with the subs. Good luck man.

P.s. what sort of lope dose did you take to kill withdrawals?

I feel you bro.

Just be mindful of what you are getting into. I was on subs for nearly 8 long years. I look back and I can't fathom where all that time went. It is a very precarious situation because I know the feeling of just not being able to stay clean, yet you are over the worst part of withdrawal. It's kind of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

For me, and a LOT of other people, you eventually get pretty depressed on bupe. It happened to me after about a year or so. But at the same time, I had gotten my life together to pretty much exactly where I wanted it, but then I was totally hooked on subs and depressed. It really is a catch 22.

The smarter choice is the subs because maintaining a heroin habit is not feasible. The only trouble I forsee for you is that you won't have any opiates in your system when you go in. Some (probably not most Bupe doctors), may think this is strange and may not prescribe it to you. To save your time and money I would definitely call beforehand and explain your situation. There has to be tons of sub doctors in Chicago.

Good luck man. Understand that this is a huge step, mainly positive, but also has some serious negative possibilities that you should give consternation to.

I'm in a similar situation, well, mines a little different. I can't get on any buprenorphine containing drug until I get my SS card mailed to me which might take as long as another 4-10 days which I need to get a new state ID. Basically I've heard the key to getting the tex is to say your allergic to the food coloring. However I'm kind of interested in this new zubsolv. but I think I'm going to ask the doctor for buprenorphine injectable ampules, just seems more practical ya know?

I'm in a similar situation, well, mines a little different. I can't get on any buprenorphine containing drug until I get my SS card mailed to me which might take as long as another 4-10 days which I need to get a new state ID. Basically I've heard the key to getting the tex is to say your allergic to the food coloring. However I'm kind of interested in this new zubsolv. but I think I'm going to ask the doctor for buprenorphine injectable ampules, just seems more practical ya know?

No doctor will RX IV bupe. Period. That is for PM usually in a hospital environment and nothing else. Also I believe the highest strength that comes in is 0.6 or 0.8 mg. You will likely need a much higher dosage for maintenance. I would save myself the embarrassment and skip asking that question all together.

I used to be a moderator for two forums (including this one bro) you think I'm a jack ass, it was a fucking joke. and as far as my memory recalls 300mcg IV is equal to 1mg of buprenorphine, so 600 IV would be 2mg. (which technically is a low but still a maintenance dose) when I shot bupe I never did more than a .6mg infusion.

Sorry to be rude, I've been treated like dirt for years, people spitting on me as I panhandle and I'm no fucking fool, but perhaps I should have put a ;) in there to make it clear I wasn't being serious.

Every person I have ever encountered maintaining on bupe still lived the junky lifestyle. Don't do that to yourself. Hard parts over so just stay off. You need NA meetings or mental health therapy. Get 30 days truly clean(no lope) and you won't think about it so much and will laugh you were considering handcuffing yourself for life on subs.

I used to be a moderator for two forums (including this one bro) you think I'm a jack ass, it was a fucking joke. and as far as my memory recalls 300mcg IV is equal to 1mg of buprenorphine, so 600 IV would be 2mg. (which technically is a low but still a maintenance dose) when I shot bupe I never did more than a .6mg infusion.

Sorry to be rude, I've been treated like dirt for years, people spitting on me as I panhandle and I'm no fucking fool, but perhaps I should have put a ;) in there to make it clear I wasn't being serious.

Keep in mind the shit I deal with on a daily basis. I have seen things people write that would make me believe that was totally serious. Also, I never called you a jackass, in fact I think I handled the post with as much tact as possible. Please from now on try to do the same.

Every person I have ever encountered maintaining on bupe still lived the junky lifestyle. Don't do that to yourself. Hard parts over so just stay off. You need NA meetings or mental health therapy. Get 30 days truly clean(no lope) and you won't think about it so much and will laugh you were considering handcuffing yourself for life on subs.

remember, everybody is different. What works for one person will not always work for another. Some people simply can not be w/o any kind of maintenance. I have had too many friends die because their doctor promised them they could be clean and stay clean without any kind of pharmaceutical intervention. Two so far have died because they just had to use again one of them after years of being clean, OD'd first relapse on what he likely thought was a normal dose of heroin. Some people can not stay sober. If you find bupe keeps you from making stupid decisions I would much rather see a person on that for life than methadone or constantly relapsing after getting off of it.

I know it sucks but life sucks, and if that is what you need to make it though God bless you and stay strong. At the least bupe is not a full agonist. And while you are still physically dependant on something, you are not clouded by the high and you don't have to worry about where you are going to get your next fix. But you better be going to a therapist and NA/AA as well. Because it is too easy to give up because after only a short period of time bupe is no longer any sort of high, it just keeps you normal.

From someone who's mother has been medical nurse in ER setting my whole life-

As soon as you are marked as a drug seeker, they will give you nothing. I've sat in the break room and heard these guys laughing about, how some addict broke his own hand to get meds and they prescribed him acetominophen, etc etc, my whole life. It's fuced but trust me you don't want the label of drug seeker from an MD. Perhaps seeing a psych doc might be better? IDK but I know it's not exactly hyporctatic oath Standard Operatind Procedure to give druggies/ people with prior abuse p[roblems ANYTHING at all. So if you DO approach your doc at all, I would be very careful about it...

Good luck, good job staying clean (So far?). I know, that wd is totally FUCKED